Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Its weird how a lot of people said the final boss was awful when it was the best in the series imo (not a high bar to cover I know)

I'm just bummed we didn't get to see Cutter and Chloe and Sam and Sully appear in the end as they go sailing with the Drakes as Nathan talks about all his adventures as they sail into the sunset as the ghostly image of Jeff looks down and smiles.

But yeah another thing that people seemed to have a problem was that this story was too "nice" to Nate and that Sam should have died and I"m like "That's not what Uncharted should be" its about the adventure and family and finding lost cities and living by the skin of your teeth.

I still want there to be Uncharted games even though Nate's story is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

being arguably the best final boss in a series known for having terrible final bosses doesn't stop it from being awful

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Is that supposed to be a picture of the Cintamani Stone on Cassie's tanktop?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I still want there to be Uncharted games even though Nate's story is done

Well, the fact that there is new story DLC coming indicates that there are still treasures to be found out there and treasure hunters hoping to find them, even if Nathan and Sully aren't in that line of work any more.

Uncharted: The Next Generation?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I rate this a 3/10 Uncharted game for having no supernatural elements.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

being arguably the best final boss in a series known for having terrible final bosses doesn't stop it from being awful
I don't know how its awful, its pretty simple and not bullshit; I think people would like it more if the sword mechanic was introduced in the last flashback where Sam and Nate pretended to sword fight in the mansion but that got cut

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know how its awful, its pretty simple and not bullshit; I think people would like it more if the sword mechanic was introduced in the last flashback where Sam and Nate pretended to sword fight in the mansion but that got cut

Having played through it, the timing on the parries/dodges felt really weird. You can kinda tell that they hashed it together out of a game engine that's not really meant for it just by how it feels to play. As a setpiece it's really cool, but I died a lot on that segment because it's surprisingly unforgiving for something you're doing for the very first time. So the ending lost a bit of its luster for me.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

achillesforever6 posted:

I really like the sword fight thematically and how it caps off the story, but gameplay-wise it overstays its welcome after multiple deaths trying to figure it out. Besides being a brand new mechanic with no chance to practice prior to the fight, the camera doesn't always give you a clear view of what Rafe is doing, and some of his moves are hard to read because they look like left slashes but actually come from the right, or vice versa. It's a lot easier once you learn Rafe's attack patterns. Also, your health does recharge if you can keep your distance from Rafe for a few seconds. You don't have to score any hits on him.

e: Rafe has some quips when he kills you, but they get repetitive once you've heard all of them multiple times, as does the rest of his dialogue.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I beat Rafe first time going in blind y'all are real fuckin' bad at videogames

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was not prepared for baby pictures

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Great job C&I. Thanks for getting the rest of the LP out pretty fast.

But I have to say... I'm still incredibly lukewarm about Uncharted 4. It seemed to be a thing for sequels last year that I played that the gameplay and attention to detail was fantastic (This, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2), but a lot of those games suffered from weaker plots- with this and Dishonored 2, I was watching/playing and going "Did this really need to be made, the series ended just fine on Drake's Deception?"

I already said a few pages ago that Sam isn't very likeable, and I will simply note that for those of you who went "Nadine will likely be fought one last time and that's when Nate will win," joke's on you, her plot armour was too strong for that, and while I'm not the kind of sort who goes "Endings aren't good if there isn't a good guy death," and while I love that Nate got an unambiguously happy ending, the plot still relied heavily on a narrative contrivance.

Overall, I'm not likely to get this game until it gets a bit cheaper- I'll likely enjoy it a lot more as a $30 (Well, Euro) "Turn the brain off, enjoy the setpieces and fancy things going kaboom" game over a "$40 game that I was told had a great plot that plays well but is more good because of actors giving it their a-game over genuinely good writing."

(Then again, you can all consider me that rear end in a top hat who says Last of Us is overrated as hell and the plot was only so well received because Baker and Johnson knocked it out of the park, so I guess my opinion is worth diddly squat to some folk)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Samovar posted:

For as great as the animation on people is, that dog looked really... fake, unfortunately.

Cute ending, tho.

Yeah, the dog looked out of place, somehow. It's technically impressive, but all the little details just made it look more fake.

RareAcumen posted:

I rate this a 3/10 Uncharted game

for having no supernatural elements.

Agreed. This game's ending is alright. However, I would have infinitely preferred it if they had all just gotten on the plane, instead of going after the treasure. And then, as they're leaving, the mountain errupts, goblins come crawling out of the earth, and the whole place sinks into the ocean. The End.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

But yeah another thing that people seemed to have a problem was that this story was too "nice" to Nate and that Sam should have died and I"m like "That's not what Uncharted should be" its about the adventure and family and finding lost cities and living by the skin of your teeth.

Saying an element of the story should be a certain way just to conform to what's come before in the franchise is not an artistic decision, it's a marketing decision. Down that dark creatively bankrupt path there are only Nathan Drake themed mascaras and buttplugs advertised on giant tacky billboards.

That being said, I'm glad Sam didn't die. The moment he was introduced I was sure that's where they were going with it and I'm glad they didn't because introducing a new "retroactively beloved" character to get killed in lieu of an actually beloved character getting killed like it somehow carried the exact same narrative weight would just be the lamest thing ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

(Then again, you can all consider me that rear end in a top hat who says Last of Us is overrated as hell and the plot was only so well received because Baker and Johnson knocked it out of the park, so I guess my opinion is worth diddly squat to some folk)

For how often you're strangling dudes, you could really use some alternate animations for it. I think even Batman Arkham Asylum had three.

And More posted:

Agreed. This game's ending is alright. However, I would have infinitely preferred it if they had all just gotten on the plane, instead of going after the treasure. And then, as they're leaving, the mountain errupts, goblins come crawling out of the earth, and the whole place sinks into the ocean. The End.

The moral of the story being greed and obsession (with just a healthy sprinkling of unmedicated paranoia) leads to the downfall of man and not even having the decency to have one of them literally be turned into gold is such a slap in the face after magical life-extending tree sap. Sad!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 11, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also am glad Sam didn't die but he learned nothing and that bothers me. He learned nothing. It's so annoying.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I found it quite endearing that there was nothing paranormal or supernatural about the pirate treasure or Libertalia. There weren't spooky ghosts or zombies or cursed pirate monsters. Just finding the treasure and the corpses of two greedy bastards, who made their living off of being greedy bastards, literally killing each other over their combined wealth because surprise, they're greedy bastards.

Maybe the supernatural part was that Sam was crushed by a wooden support beam and had little sign of injury . :iiam:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I also am glad Sam didn't die but he learned nothing and that bothers me. He learned nothing. It's so annoying.

He eventually retired with Sully, so maybe he learned his lesson later?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he went from not wanting sully along at the beginning of the game to realizing that sully was the best treasure hunting partner at the end. the most important lesson nate could convey to his brother was received loud and clear

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The supernatural element is that after so many adventures Nathan still had the Indiana Jones karmic fate points left to burn on saving his brother. That's the REAL reason he had to give up this sort of adventuring, he simply didn't have enough Indiana Jones juice left to squirm out of consequences anymore.

I would say it's slightly surprising that Sam gets to live, but not unwelcome. Narrative symmetry would normally call for Sam's death, but I feel like the writing sort of intentionally butts the obvious fate for Sam against both Rafe's obvious fate and the expectation of Nathan being rewarded (and getting to save Sam) for making...somewhat better choices, maybe, towards the end of the adventure in order to create some tension. Of course, it could just be a whole lot more ham-handed than that; people keep saying there's two sets of thieves between Sam and Nate, or Rafe and Sam, but the allegory the game cannot stop hammering on is Jesus' crucifixation, which has three characters. I'm saying Nathan Drake might have been intended to be a Christ-like figure rescuing his brother and damning Rafe for his greed, but that feels so...hokey, especially when Sam is not particularly penitent.

A good game, a good lp. My only regret is that you didn't get one last playable prompt as Nathan to just slug Sam right in his stupid face, because boy did he earn it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
That was a fun LP. I agree about the ending being really cute and satisfying, and I've only experienced this series through C&I's LPs. Excited for the next series.

Miz Kriss posted:

Maybe the supernatural part was that Sam was crushed by a wooden support beam and had little sign of injury . :iiam:
The supernatural element was with us all along, and it was the Drakes...wait.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The supernatural element is that after so many adventures Nathan still had the Indiana Jones karmic fate points left to burn on saving his brother.
drat. Beat me to it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I also love how unhinged Rafe is by the end, just driven completely insane by his impotence from not being able to "earn things"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Of course, it could just be a whole lot more ham-handed than that; people keep saying there's two sets of thieves between Sam and Nate, or Rafe and Sam, but the allegory the game cannot stop hammering on is Jesus' crucifixation, which has three characters. I'm saying Nathan Drake might have been intended to be a Christ-like figure rescuing his brother and damning Rafe for his greed, but that feels so...hokey, especially when Sam is not particularly penitent.

sully was jesus, nate was the penitent thief, sam was the cross itself

that's why the beam fell on him

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still remember all the predictions earlier claiming that Nadine had to be the final boss rather than Rafe, because Rafe would be too wimpy to actually fight someone himself.

Never trust an angry guy with a sword.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just saying that the game not having loud roars and gunfire once Nate got into the cave and leading up to finding Shoreline and Sam contending with the mighty Kraken was a lost opportunity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

achillesforever6 posted:

I also love how unhinged Rafe is by the end, just driven completely insane by his impotence from not being able to "earn things"

I do sympathize with the guy a bit though, Nate does very frequently just kinda stumble across crazy ancient poo poo, sometimes by complete circumstance in the case of 3. Whereas every non-Nate treasure hunter in this entire series has been looking for their respective treasure for years with no success, sometimes decades.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I'm glad that finally, we get a villain that's smart enough to see that none of this poo poo is worth it, and just leaves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

XavierGenisi posted:

I'm glad that finally, we get a villain that's smart enough to see that none of this poo poo is worth it, and just leaves.

We can also now post without risking spoilers that the plot of the Uncharted 4 DLC, The Lost Legacy, is a sequel about Chloe and Nadine loving poo poo up on their own treasure hunt.

So, you know, the best DLC ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

And her reward for such pragmatism is getting to work with the ever excellent Chloe Frazer.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm just saying that the game not having loud roars and gunfire once Nate got into the cave and leading up to finding Shoreline and Sam contending with the mighty Kraken was a lost opportunity.
Maybe this was an homage to the Goonies where they had to cut out the giant octopus guardian scene

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe this was an homage to the Goonies where they had to cut out the giant octopus guardian scene

We had an opportunity to stick a harpoon gun in this game and now it's gone completely.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just like how Nate's earlier adventures got around, to the point where people go "Hey you remember Nathan Drake? You'll never guess what happened to him in the mountains!"

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's a drat shame Avery didn't transform himself into a dragon to guard his treasure.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I liked the Rafe boss fight. For being a huge rich weenie most of the time it... actually kinda made sense he'd have taking fencing lessons and actually be a good swordfighter. Since of course that douchebag fenced.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

White Coke posted:

It's a drat shame Avery didn't transform himself into a helltruck to guard his treasure.
Adjusted to fit the rest of the game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

XavierGenisi posted:

That actually made me like Nadine. Like, she was obviously in it for the money. Once she got however much money she thought it was worth the hassle of getting 99% of her crew killed she's like "gently caress this, I'm out."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I couldn't help but feel really depressed after finishing this game. Goddamn this was such a fun series and ended in such a way that I can't feel sad about it, but I was all Sam over it. I'm not ready for the adventure to be over. :(

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I like that the photograph showed that they went back for the sunken treasure at some point after things calmed down. I assume it's Avery's treasure, since it's in that book.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Geomancing posted:

I like that the photograph showed that they went back for the sunken treasure at some point after things calmed down. I assume it's Avery's treasure, since it's in that book.

I thought it was from the first game

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CizCTLflpEY

Nadine really didn't want any part of their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Miz Kriss posted:

I thought it was from the first game
It looked like they were uncovering stuff from the sunken Egyptian city of Heracleion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleion

• Locked thread