Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

I like to think the Rangers could surprise if they either magically found a great deal for a defenseman, or Girardi suffered a season ending injury and somehow everyone clicked and started playing out of their minds on the blueline.

for sure, the way things are going i think NYR, CBJ or maybe even (!!!) NYI could surprise and pull off upsets, but that's the point -- they'd be surprise upsets, given how good WSH and PIT look right now

hell, it's the playoffs so anything can happen -- maybe even a team from the atlantic could advance to the SCF lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

for sure, the way things are going i think NYR, CBJ or maybe even (!!!) NYI could surprise and pull off upsets, but that's the point -- they'd be surprise upsets, given how good WSH and PIT look right now

hell, it's the playoffs so anything can happen -- maybe even a team from the atlantic could advance to the SCF lmao

Only if the Caps and Pens pummel each other to mutual death (watch the loving red wings somehow get in and meander their way to the finals)

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Burakovsky out til Mid-March. Hopefully Vrana is the first plug. Could be Sanford though. That line's production has been a huge part of this recent run. I hope Eller and Connolly can keep it going with whoever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Slappy Pappy posted:

Burakovsky out til Mid-March. Hopefully Vrana is the first plug. Could be Sanford though. That line's production has been a huge part of this recent run. I hope Eller and Connolly can keep it going with whoever.

Sanford's in for Saturday.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-capitals/what-does-andre-burakovskys-injury-mean-capitals

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The Caps are setting themselves up to win in the playoffs in a way that they haven't in years gone by. Yes they have maintained an amazing goal differential and their PP looks good, but they also now have a top 5 penalty kill and they are tops in the league at 5v5 play.

I'm also starting to think that Trotz's early season focus on getting a guy like Jay Beagle so much ice time was to get them rolling four lines that score. It saves some gas for the top guys and builds that secondary scoring that is always so clutch in the playoffs.

I still think they'll probably come into the playoffs looking good instead of great and ultimately lose to the Rangers or Penguins (maybe to the Habs in the ECF this time!?), but I am already saving my pennies so I can be there for the Game 7 devastation.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If you get 6 great years, 3 good years and 3 bad years in a 12 year contract then it worked out phenomenally, even though it comes out as "too long" in the end. It's the ones that turned bad in the 3rd year that were the real issue.

I was trying to find a list of the long contracts and came across this article http://grantland.com/the-triangle/were-any-long-term-nhl-contracts-a-good-idea-2/

A ton of these guys are out of the league already. Keith, Luongo, Zetterberg, Hossa, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and maybe Carter are already 6+ good years in on their deals.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/Bill_Shea19/status/830195935099682816

couldnt bear to see the streak end :rip:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oh poo poo:

https://twitter.com/Bill_Shea19/status/830195935099682816

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch has passed away, according to sources close to the family.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

AsInHowe posted:

Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch has passed away, according to sources close to the family.

Are you sure

RIP in pizza.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are you sure

RIP in pizza.

Yes

Rest in pizza

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You guys are quick 'n ready with the jokes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Like it's going to last, the guy has lich in his name

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quick, someone account for the whereabouts of little Brutus.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smith:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Boomer The Cannon posted:

You guys are quick 'n ready with the jokes.

Hot 'n ready, show some respect

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

they've had to reanimate him for years so this is no surprise

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ken Holland is gonna kept on a little bit longer now, after this tragedy.

RIP 'n' ready

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
He had and beat cancer multiple times lately.

Greatest owner of all time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Drunk Canuck posted:

Ken Holland is gonna kept on a little bit longer now, after this tragedy.

RIP 'n' ready

Now is the perfect time to fire Ken Holland and retire #91.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:smith:

He got Cups but never the World Series.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Zero One posted:

He got Cups but never the World Series.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

im not going to cry because a billionaire didnt get a world series sorry

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gio posted:

im not going to cry because a billionaire didnt get a world series sorry

I am going to cry when the Tigers get run into the ground, as Chris Ilitch goes full Karen Davidson.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the tigers have been on the decline for a long time though. and they didnt make the playoffs two years in a row because theyre dogshit.

not much left to run into the ground

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jackets have slumped recently, but I have faith that Torts/Shaw/Larsen/McCudden can figure out how to get it fixed in 29 games. They'll be in, it's just a matter of where and how long wind up lasting.

And the fact I'm typing that last sentence this season still blows my mind.

Levitate posted:

I mean most teams in the league no matter how good they are go through hot and cold stretches. Even if you're awesome it's hard to be awesome over an entire 82 game schedule, this is probably more the bottom end of the Blue Jackets swing that's balancing out the top end they had going early in the season. I'd also expect the Caps to come back to earth a bit as well.

As for the Caps...I dunno man, too many years of them being one of the best teams in the league, if not the best team, to jump on the "this is totally their year!" bandwagon, and even if you are the best team in the league that doesn't mean the playoffs are a formality.

Caps aren't going to score 5-6 goals per game the rest of the way.

This article (looks like it's from a Caps blog) talks about how Henrik Zetterberg compared the CBJ and Caps and gives the CBJ the "harder to play against" tag, also talking about how it's no cake walk to the finish for the Caps: http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...n-the-capitals/

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I guess this means that M. Night Shyamalan's Tales From The Crypt reboot is definitely a go

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

AsInHowe posted:

Hot 'n ready, show some respect

probably cold by now tbh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gio posted:

the tigers have been on the decline for a long time though. and they didnt make the playoffs two years in a row because theyre dogshit.

not much left to run into the ground

As a brewers fan, you don't know what that means.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i like hot n readys. like, legitimately like. ive had waaay worse pizza. way better, too, admittedly, but for five bucks its definitely worth it.

you know who makes absolutely god awful pizza? pizza pizza in canada. that poo poo was bad drunk and their ranch tasted like fermented semen.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jackets have slumped recently, but I have faith that Torts/Shaw/Larsen/McCudden can figure out how to get it fixed in 29 games. They'll be in, it's just a matter of where and how long wind up lasting.

And the fact I'm typing that last sentence this season still blows my mind.

Caps aren't going to score 5-6 goals per game the rest of the way.

This article (looks like it's from a Caps blog) talks about how Henrik Zetterberg compared the CBJ and Caps and gives the CBJ the "harder to play against" tag, also talking about how it's no cake walk to the finish for the Caps: http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...n-the-capitals/

Not reading the article because I'm lazy but Columbus seems like a team that's hard to play against because they keep coming at you and are physical alogn with being pretty good. The Caps are a more skilled and better team but it's not like they're beating the poo poo out of you and making things tough while they're winning the games like the BlueJackets do

I mean some good player I don't remember who said Dan Girardi is one of the tougher defensemen to play against and we know Girardi is pretty bad now, but the point is that he'd lock all those shots and make play a pretty tough nosed game which can be rougher to play against even if you overall are probably going to score more goals on him.

e: I could be misremembering that because it's unfathomable to think of Dan Girardi as tough to play against but

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Levitate posted:

Not reading the article because I'm lazy but Columbus seems like a team that's hard to play against because they keep coming at you and are physical alogn with being pretty good. The Caps are a more skilled and better team but it's not like they're beating the poo poo out of you and making things tough while they're winning the games like the BlueJackets do

Yeah, that literally pretty much sums it up. I guess it was actually a story based on an NHL.com article.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Looks like Rust was injured last night. Josh Archibald just got called up. Only found out because we were trying to figure out why he was scratched tonight at the WBS game.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mike Ilitch's first draft pick as Wings owner in 1983?

Some kid named Yzerman.

RIP Mr. I.

:(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat, Mike Illitch ruined the Lightning.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

He had and beat cancer multiple times lately.

Greatest owner of all time.

Robert Kraft?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Aphrodite posted:

drat, Mike Illitch ruined the Lightning.

Ah, the Reverse Robocop: saves Detroit in the first act then demolishes it at the end

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Scylla posted:

Robert Kraft?

Kraft didn't come into a dead city and spent decades bringing it back like Ilitch did.

Also, Ilitch was literally the son of immigrants who came up from nothing to essentially be the greatest city patron ever.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Scylla posted:

Robert Kraft?

If we go by rings, it's the Molson family :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I think an appropriate memorial would be firing Ken Holland