Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If it really plays in 15 minutes per player, it seems like it will be a big departure from Argent. That's my only real dig on that game, it still takes us a long time and so we don't really have room for more Argent. But this sounds different, so I'm intrigued. I kind of recall Trey posting much shorter playtime estimates for Argent than we ended up seeing, too, though. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm normally excited for Argent the train game since adding powers to a worker placement game was a great fun time.

Archon and Tuscany do exactly the same thing with 100% less Harry Potter.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

Carcassonne is the only game we house rule. We do two stacks of tiles and the top of each is face up, adds a ton of strategy and thinking about what to do/what to let your opponent have.

Tikal has an auction version which might work well for this. You flip tiles = players and bid victory points for tile selection order, simultaneously. Ties are evaluated from first player, which moves every round. Start with 20 points.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Archon and Tuscany do exactly the same thing with 100% less Harry Potter.

Check out this informed, factually accurate take.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

jivjov posted:

Dominion.games is the official online implementation. It's still a little beta-ish, but functional.

To follow up, where is the best place for dominion discussion these days?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Viticulture Essential plus Tuscany Essential is a super game :yayclod:

I like Viticulture a lot but Tuscany makes it much more of a gamer's game, it's really well done and hums nicely together.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

And a Dominion thread in this very forum as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803643&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I like Viticulture a lot but Tuscany makes it much more of a gamer's game, it's really well done and hums nicely together.

Just got these in the mail yesterday after seeing they were sold out everywhere but CSI, excited to give them a shot. Probably try a solo game without Tuscany tonight to get the hang of it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

I've played a lot of Viticulture and only one game of Tuscany and I'm curious how other Viti veterans feel about something I've been noticing more and more, which is how goddam swingy and random the cards are.

What I mean is that, I've gone games where I've been drawing like crazy to try and get a red/white grape but all I can get is one of the two, or every visitor card I've gotten is garbage/inappropriate, and/or every order is borderline unobtainable. My other Viti fanatic friend agrees as much but sees no solution beyond working with the randomness. My solution was to try and house rule or create a market row of sort with the grape and order cards, whereby you could choose from X amount available (maybe based on the player count?) in an attempt to avoid just blind drawing and ending up with crap after crap.

At least Tuscany gives you a way to get rid of bad cards for various things, but Viticulture Essentials seems utterly kneecapped by the random draws.

I still love the game and think it's great but I'm starting to sour on certain aspects.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's certainly possible to get nailed to the wall by a player that lucks into some really good card draws. But drawing visitor cards and using them is just another type of resource; if you ignore them and allow another player to take all he or she wants then they will be at an advantage as a result.

That being said, it is absolutely possible to play Viticulture and practically ignore the cards (obviously, use the ones you get that are worth using but don't go out of your way to get them) and still be competitive regardless of what grapes you do or don't draw. It's not the easy route, but it absolutely can be done. Going through the solo "campaign mode" in Viticulture Essential will guaranteed develop those skills.

With Tuscany Essential here are the main changes:

• You don't automatically get visitor cards every turn (you only get visitor cards if you have a Cottage built, or from turn order bonuses)
  • There is also another type of card: structures that give VPs and some benefit or private action space if you build them.
  • There are four seasons, and more actions. The turn structure and order tracking is slickly improved.
  • There is a "1:1 Trade" action. Trade one of the list items for any other of the list items. List items include: 1 VP, some lira, two cards (any kind), 1 grape (any kind). Trade 1 for 1.
  • There is a "Sell Wine" action. Sell any single white or red for 1 VP. Sell any blush for 2(?)VP. Sell any champagne for 4(?)VP. No residuals though, only wine orders on cards give residuals (income).
  • When you pass in Winter (the last season) you remove all your workers from the board, and remaining players may place workers in your now-vacant Winter action spots (which makes "Make Wine" and "Fill Orders" or "Sell Wine" actions interesting)
  • There are two additional kinds of workers, whose capabilities are assigned in set up. When training a new worker you can make them a special worker for 1 extra coin. Example of special worker: Chef -- they can "kick out" a worker from any space. The kicked worker returns to the owning player and goes back into their available workers pool (i.e. it can be placed again.)
  • There is an action for placing influence stars on a map, doing so gets you an immediate bonus and if you have the most stars in a province at the end of the game you get a VP bonus.

Even in Tuscany it's possible to use a strategy of Cottage (for visitors every year) plus whatever else you can to churn through and play as many cards as possible to seek out the most combos and bonuses. However I think this is really most effective when other players let a player do it -- i.e. no one competes with them to get or play cards at all and they can do it all they please.

It's possible to be competitive without aggressively pursuing cards but ultimately Viticulture is a card-enabled game. With Tuscany it's much more of a gamer's game but the same roots are under there. Still, I maintain it's a great game and I say this as someone who finds the cards tiresome.

I like the idea of lessening the impact of cards but I don't think a market row is the solution because that would just turn the game into a cherry-picking contest where people can snipe after whatever suits them best without the risk of drawing crap; i.e. it would increase the impact of cards on the game, not lessen it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I know this has come up before, but I wasn't able to find the recommendations. My wife and I met another couple who are interested in board games, but are also very new to them. They've only played playing card games and Ticket to Ride. The problem is that their english isn't super so I was looking for games with little to no language dependency.

I thought of Splendor (not a fan personally) and Acquire. What are some other light-medium 4 player games with little to no reading necessary?

Dude who wanted 4 player games for newbies with very little explaination:

Cottage Garden
Mysterium
Pandemic
Lanterns
Dice City
China Town
La Boca
Thebes
Splendor

All pretty easy to teach and get people heading in the right direction in terms of what is out there.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 10, 2017

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Mysterium is a great choice. No text at all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gonna add Uptown, plays in 30ish minutes, is a pretty basic abstract that takes <5 minutes to explain, no text other than row letters, and it's pretty vicious while being very easy to play.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
After some month of it gathering dust, I have finally found the time to give Not Alone a go. It's good, y'all. Quick, portable, easy to explain, scales really well (2-7 players) and offers a nice mix of deduction and bluffing. It's basically like a reverse scotland yard/whitechapel style game so distilled it doesn't bother with the spatial aspect.

If there's any caveat to it, try to get a decent player count for the learning game - it can feel very unfair for the survivors until they grok how to be slippery in few turns. The two player game in particular can be really tight - liie, say, two player Coup.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coup, Love Letter, Dixit and Sushi Go are all 4p games that are consistently hits with just about every group I've played with. Dixit relies more on familiarity with one another than language.

e: they are all card games though so maybe not what you're looking for. I find cards are much more approachable for people though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Since every game I've been even remotely interested in lately has sold out and otherwise been unavailable since release I'm gonna be ground-floor on 2 Argent 2 Furious.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
Thanks for the extra replies. My wife hates Coup and virtually any other game you need to lie, so that's a no go. But almost all the others I either have and forgot about or are now on my wishlist. We both have young kids so I'll probably pick games that have less tiny pieces but most of these seem to be fine.

On a side note, I played Fiasco for the first time last weekend and it's the bees knees. I wasn't sure if our group was right for it and it took a while for people to get a good feel for it, but then everyone had a lot of fun and seemed interested in playing it more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kai Tave posted:

Since every game I've been even remotely interested in lately has sold out and otherwise been unavailable since release

Seriously, this trend is getting annoying as gently caress. Everything is getting snatched up super fast and becoming impossible to get unless you get lucky on day one or Kickstart it. Scythe, A Feast for Odin, The Colonists, Star Wars Destiny, Gloomhaven. The industry is growing at record rates but publishers are not even coming close to keeping up (and leaving money on the floor because of it). It really fucks over anyone that wants to wait and see if things are actually good before buying.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bottom Liner posted:

Seriously, this trend is getting annoying as gently caress. Everything is getting snatched up super fast and becoming impossible to get unless you get lucky on day one or Kickstart it. Scythe, A Feast for Odin, The Colonists, Star Wars Destiny, Gloomhaven. The industry is growing at record rates but publishers are not even coming close to keeping up (and leaving money on the floor because of it). It really fucks over anyone that wants to wait and see if things are actually good before buying.

That's why you have friends that buy/Kickstart these games as soon as possible.

I'm glad that at least these hyped games are actually living up to the hype. I'm the idiot who bought Panic Station and Dark Moon before people realized they were crap.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have unplayed games and am rather more trigger happy than I should be pretty much because of a you snooze you lose kind of environment when it comes to modern cardboard.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Just ordered Not Alone, Scythe Expansion and Great Zimbabwe. Life is good.

Also played 1775 and Ice Cool over the weekend. Had a good time with both, but boy howdy is Ice Cool simply adorable and accessible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair, I can completely understand that nobody wants to be the one holding the bag on the boardgaming equivalent of the ET Atari fiasco, designer boardgaming as a mainstream American hobby is still comparatively new, but some reprints would be nice.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Bottom Liner posted:

I imagine it drives them nuts too, though - at a local board gaming convention I saw stacks of stuff going for 1/3 retail price or less just because they didn't catch the public imagination. Like Porta Nigra came out here (Australia) for about $100 retail and was being sold for $30, with like fifty for sale. Someone is wearing that cost. Feast for Odin should have been a shoe in but in the past I've seen similar discounted stacks for Glass Road and Ora et Labora, so even big names probably aren't a sure thing. I seem to remember understood print runs are really expensive for everyone in the chain due to storage and logistics combined with tight profit margins. God knows how many sold copies of Gloomhaven 100 unsold ones cancel out given all the stuff in the box.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sometimes I wonder if the hobby should move to packaging games in the smallest boxes possible, so that the industry doesn't have to worry as much about warehouse space, shipping, storage, etc.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Clearly all games should be paper maps and chits, hex and counter supremacy

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I fit all of buildings from The Colonists in three GMT counter trays, which also fits in the coffin box along with all the other poo poo (although I had to shave the trays a bit on the sides to prevent bulging). The rest of the setup for the game really isn't that bad as long as you have some dishes for the resources, so I'm pretty satisfied with this solution.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the hobby should move to packaging games in the smallest boxes possible, so that the industry doesn't have to worry as much about warehouse space, shipping, storage, etc.
The tradeoff is that then you get Phil Eklund's small boxes, mass-produced pieces, and dense cards. I think I'd be ok with it, especially if I had the option to buy things to make my favorites more ring-a-ding.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It absolutely should for those reasons and others (environmental concerns, storing for owners, etc.), but games with smaller boxes sell less. Capitalism is a blight.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Every game of Pandemic: Iberia I've played so far has ended in a loss with less than one full round to go before we were going to research all 4 diseases.

Iberia is a good Pandemic variant y'all.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Have played two 2-player games of Keyflower in the last two days, doubling my previous playcount since I got the game a year or so ago. Game's good y'all! I seem to recall not 'getting' the game to start with (as far as seeing the winter tiles first-up so you can adapt your strategy from there, buying the tiles you *really* need for that strategy so you're not constantly bleeding keyples, etc). I've won both games 55-45 and 78-36 - my gaming partner hasn't been as into the game as I have so she's slower off the mark to really get a gameplan going.

edit: I also finally took my new copy of Captain Sonar for a spin the other day, I'll just cross-post my after-action report/thoughts on it from another thread:

The Narrator posted:

We got real-time two games in. Because we were at 7 players, I took on the combined captain-first mate role in game 1, my friend who had a decent grasp of the game took on that role in game 2 (I played as Radio Operator).

As I explained the rules, I noticed a couple of the players start to look worried - but saying "hey, you really only need to remember how one system works" helped.

Something that I hadn't really conceptualised before we played is how... clunky it is? But that clunkiness is part of the design. I mean in terms of mishearing or having to ask someone to repeat that, quite a few "STOP!"s that immediately had to be cancelled because the engineer popped up and said "we can't do anything, what are you doing," and overtalk that makes it difficult for the radio operator.

It has great contrast of embarrassing failures and triumphant successes. There's the aforementioned "STOP!"s that end up just breaking up the flow of the game, there's the radio operator exclaiming "I have no idea..." or "gently caress, I've completely lost them *erases line*" (as I did at least once) and funny exchanges of

Engineer: Can you head west? that way i can repair this circuit.
Captain: Uhh... Head north! ...we gotta go north before we can go west.

Both games ended via one submarine blowing the other up, rather than self-destructions, and the second game in particular had a super-exciting sequence of both subs circling each other as they charged up systems and tried to land a killing blow. Getting a direct hit is great for morale! And also helps the enemy radio operator nail down where you are...

I think my biggest quibble with the game is navigating that clunkiness - in particular, making sure that the captains both follow very particular wordings for stopping the game and for how systems are activated, because it got mildly tedious having exchanges of "STOP! doing this action . . . ok, resume!" followed immediately by "STOP! . . ." and so on. Also making sure that everyone understood their system and how it worked - at least once we actually had to pause the game because someone needed to clarify how a particular system worked (in particular, a first mate player mistakenly believed that Silence movement allowed him to charge systems). A minor complaint, too, is that it feels like the First Mate role is slightly underdeveloped, or at least feels a bit trivial compared to the other three. Perhaps that's just based on our beginner's lack of strategy though.

Additionally, it's a stressful game - at one point after we finished a round, someone exclaimed that they hadn't really been prepared to come straight from work into this sort of game (that player had just finished a round as the captain, and I think they simply felt overwhelmed by three other crew members barking information at them).

I think most of the group had fun in the sense that they appreciated what the game is. I can't wait to play it again (maybe giving turn-based a try at some point), but it depends on getting numbers and being in the mood. We followed up Captain Sonar with Click-Clack Lumberjack and Camel Up to decompress.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 11, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm actually really glad I got to play Captain Sonar because it convinced me pretty hard that I'm just not into real-time games that much anymore. When I'd read about it without playing I was thinking how it sounded like some really awesome game I'd probably never ever get to play. Then I got to play it by chance like a month ago, and I was really excited, and I just didn't like it at all once we got going. The "STOP!" clunkiness was one of the biggest faults for sure to me. One guy was arguing pretty hard that he should be able to think and discuss a bit with his crew after yelling STOP! which no one else agreed with, but he said "The game doesn't work if you don't do that" and refused to play by the spirit of the rule.

You could argue that it was just one annoying guy ruining the game, but I think that it's simply not a tight enough design and it does leave it up to players to enforce or make certain judgement calls about what is or isn't allowed.

Even if that problem were solved somehow, I simply did not find the act of playing the game itself very fun. I tried one as captain and one as engineer. Captain was a bit more fun--but still not super fun--while engineer was incredibly tedious and not interesting really. Even when we managed to work together, find the other sub, and hit it with a torpedo, I didn't really feel any satisfaction from it.

I could MAYBE see myself getting into this if I had a regular group of actual friends who I like hanging out with anyway who wanted to play this. Playing it with boardgame group people that I don't know too well was pretty rough. It definitely feels more like a party game than anything else.

I'm really glad I didn't buy the game for some reason and try to force other non-boardgame people to play it with the, "I promise it will be fun once we get going" type talk.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Wasn't there at some point a list of good board game apps for phones/tablets? I seem to vaguely recall someone was curating something like that.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
We had a similar experience with "stop," where it would be followed by an immediate little discussion among the ship to make the final call. I might just say for the next game that no-one else can speak until the person who called "stop" makes their call. Agree that there's a huge ambiguity in how the rules are enforced which can negatively impact the game because suddenly you all have to make an arbitrary ruling.

I think it's definitely a game that will be better with a consistent core of players (as it should be for my group, I think) who understand how the game works, agree on how certain things should be resolved, can get right into playing, and are confident enough to constantly talk, send information back-and-forth, etc. I also recognise that it's a highly situational game - being real-time doesn't leave any room for casual conversation as you play, the stress of constant information will put some people off, etc. It seems like a game for Type A personalities, in that as soon as you have someone who clams up or buckles under pressure (rather than working through that pressure) the whole crew is affected and the game becomes less enjoyable for it.

I want to get another few plays in before I make a definitive call on the game, including turn-based - though I suspect a lot of the roles/interaction would be made fairly trivial without the real-time pressure.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

dropkickpikachu posted:

Every game of Pandemic: Iberia I've played so far has ended in a loss with less than one full round to go before we were going to research all 4 diseases.

Iberia is a good Pandemic variant y'all.

Seconding this. I played an early version of it some time in early 2016 or late 2015 and it was rad. Lots of neat changes to vanilla Pandemic. I haven't had a chance to play my copy of the finished version yet but I definitely recommend it based on the play test.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Wasn't there at some point a list of good board game apps for phones/tablets? I seem to vaguely recall someone was curating something like that.

Bottom liner has posted such a list several times.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
heyo, list keeper here

iOS board games (not saying they're all good games, but good app versions if you like the games), bolded are my favorite board game apps:

Agricola
Agricola: All Creatures Big And Small
Tigres & Euphrates
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Lost Cities
Summoner War
Ticket to Ride
Ascension
Carcassonne
Galaxy Trucker
Patchwork
Pandemic
Dominion
Splendor
Eclipse
Twilight Struggle
Le Harve
Glass Road
Lords of Waterdeep
Small World
Caylus
Stone Age
Neuroshima Hex
Suburbia
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Star Realms
Warhammer Quest
Galaxy of Trian
Brass
Scotland Yard
Baseball Highlights 2045
Paperback

Digital only games that I recommend for board gamers:

New World Colony (Catan + Terra Mystica + 4xish)
Polytopia (lite and fast 4x)
Hero Academy (Chess + Fire Emblem)
Guild of Dungeoneering (Kinda Mage Knight-ish)

Coming soon to iOS:

Terra Mystica
Through the Ages
Tokaido
Codenames

I'm really excited for Terra Mystica.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 11, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I just bought a copy of Food Chain Magnate online and all the whites (cards/board) look slightly beige to me. Is this a printing error or intentional and some older edition (and not as advertised)? I've played other people's copies and i swear they were white.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fellis posted:

I just bought a copy of Food Chain Magnate online and all the whites (cards/board) look slightly beige to me. Is this a printing error or intentional and some older edition (and not as advertised)? I've played other people's copies and i swear they were white.

Steve bannon read this and now we're invading splotter hq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had a fantastic streak of good games with [b]Secret Hitler[b], both from seasoned gamers, Resistance vets, and non-gamers. After an ice breaker every new person really gets going and except for one game* I never had a stinker.

*That one game involved 7 players, myself as Hitler. We managed to kill 2 liberals and we were rejected the Chancellor several times until it got to me and I figured out who the other fascist was... and the other fascist voted against me forcing the final liberal policy to flop out. We went through such a long series of nein's that I guess he got confused and mixed up his cards or something.