Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just executed someone and mid execution, the game suddenly swapped our positions and I got executed instead :psyduck:

I bled to death during the execution animation after I beat a nobushi, and it counted as a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Seeing a lot of bot chat, if you go into Multiplayer and select any mode you can choose whether you want to do Player vs Player or Player vs AI. That's how I've been practicing and it's a lot of fun, you get rewards too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's this renown crap you get everytime you score a kill

AttackBacon posted:

Seeing a lot of bot chat, if you go into Multiplayer and select any mode you can choose whether you want to do Player vs Player or Player vs AI. That's how I've been practicing and it's a lot of fun, you get rewards too.

All I ever get from fighting them is a server error.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Heartcatch posted:

I haven't run into as many Orochi players in OBT compared to CBT. However, it feels like that there is a lot more Peacemakers out there now.

I know this was pages ago but I played a shitload of Orochi before switching into Peacekeeper. Keeper plays exactly how I was expecting both classes to feel, where you rely on getting a parry to open a combo or get off quick chip light attacks to interrupt the enemy heave attacks. Orochi, on the other hand, feels just as slow as any other class, where a solid-timed light attack won't be able to interrupt a slow-as-hell Raider heavy attack, and if you're playing a counterattack-based class who is THAT slow why even bother? Peacekeeper just seems objectively better from the 10+ games I've played of each class

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I like how no one maps vote. Allows me to do choose whatever I want

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Keegers posted:

I like how no one maps vote. Allows me to do choose whatever I want

Ha yeah I do the same. But there's only 3 maps for dominion so it doesn't make much difference. I guess the weather changes. I do like how you can play elimination on all 6 maps, both larger dominion maps and the smaller arenas.

How exactly does the dodge work? Ive noticed recently playing the Kensei that dodging into an attack with the right timing does kind of a counter move, how does this differ from parry etc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wandle Cax posted:

Ha yeah I do the same. But there's only 3 maps for dominion so it doesn't make much difference. I guess the weather changes. I do like how you can play elimination on all 6 maps, both larger dominion maps and the smaller arenas.

How exactly does the dodge work? Ive noticed recently playing the Kensei that dodging into an attack with the right timing does kind of a counter move, how does this differ from parry etc

You mean Orochi? The assassins have a deflect if you dodge into an attack, but Kensei shouldn't have that...

If you go to the "how to play" section on the heroes customization screen, you can not only see the moves and descriptions for how they work, but there's videos showing you how to use them. They're pretty solid and shouldn't be overlooked.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Kensei does have the dodge attack but it doesn't happen automatically, you have to press light attack along with the dodge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone have tips for Berserker vs Peacekeeper? Every time I fight one I get completely destroyed. Just get totally overwhelmed and can't land any hits while I bleed to death.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Wandle Cax posted:

You can play a 1v1 duel against the AI and it seems to be a random character with all manner of strategies

Yeah that's fun but I'm talking about the practice mode in 99% of fighting games where you can set the AI to do whatever action you want. Hell even just letting us choose a different character to spam 'Heavy Attack' would be nice

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

breaks posted:

The Kensei does have the dodge attack but it doesn't happen automatically, you have to press light attack along with the dodge.

Ah yeah that's what I meant. Does not seem to work everytime, I guess the direction matters as well

breaks
May 12, 2001

It works for the two side directions. There is also one for the forward dash that's a little different, more of a poke tool. I don't think there is one for the back dash but you can step back and slash just by holding back and hitting light attack, I think that one also works with heavy. Also all of those count as the first swing of the combo. Uh I guess not the back heavy if that works.

The dashes are the pickiest part of the controls I think, you really have to make sure you're only hitting the correct inputs.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Out of curiosity, how many of us are Knights, because we are getting royally stomped on the world map right now

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You can create a custom game with a bot class of your choice and set the number of rounds to 99.

You can chose from level:
  • 0 (doesn't attack or block),
  • 1(new player that knows the basic moves of their class)
  • 2 (experienced player that knows all the moves of their class and how to play it. hits counter guard breaks often and parries)
  • 3 (god level).

If you need a comprehensive guide to all elements of your class, chose one below:

Guide to the Warden + Advanced Mechanics

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

These guides helped me a ton.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 11, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jade Mage posted:

Out of curiosity, how many of us are Knights, because we are getting royally stomped on the world map right now

I picked Samurai but feel sort of bad because now I exclusively play as knight characters.

I also just won a round of Dominion by doing basically nothing. The enemy and my team kept fighting over A and B while I stood on C and collected +2 the entire round. I had gathered 600 renown in a huge chain just by standing there and allchatting poo poo about not coming to C. They eventually got mad at me and came at me where I killed two of them, then got the final kill of the game by ordering a mortar strike on someone who was running to C. This is a fun game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do we have a Discord server up for this? I'm interested in teaming up with goons, either to play 2v2 with, or go head to head against in 1v1. My Ubi name is Q8ee: add me, though be warned I'm UK.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Keket posted:

:siren: I made a loving Discord for you fuckers to join :siren:

Playing solo is boring.

I say we elect this discord as the official one. Collapse the waveform so we just have the one

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
When they say cross platform they mean that the game is sold on many media, not that players on different media can play together right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaj posted:

When they say cross platform they mean that the game is sold on many media, not that players on different media can play together right?

The cross platform aspect is the Faction War.

They are kind of huge assholes for advertising with the words "cross platform" when that is what they mean.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I don't think it's honorable to run away immediately upon starting an elimination match. I did enjoy pushing someone trying to run away from me into a pit of spikes

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This is inspiring.

EDIT: what the gently caress are you supposed to do against headbutts and shieldbashes? As far as I can tell they can't be parried.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 11, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I picked Samurai but feel sort of bad because now I exclusively play as knight characters.

I also just won a round of Dominion by doing basically nothing. The enemy and my team kept fighting over A and B while I stood on C and collected +2 the entire round. I had gathered 600 renown in a huge chain just by standing there and allchatting poo poo about not coming to C. They eventually got mad at me and came at me where I killed two of them, then got the final kill of the game by ordering a mortar strike on someone who was running to C. This is a fun game.

sounds like you won the game tbh

controlling the points is the most important thing you can do in dominion

I recently lost a game where my team had quite literally twice the amount of kills as the other team, but we failed to control the points because of some pesky enemy peacemaker who kept focusing on only capping constantly

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

The cross platform aspect is the Faction War.

They are kind of huge assholes for advertising with the words "cross platform" when that is what they mean.

This doesnt really answer my question. So the only cross platform relationship is the map?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What level bots are the ones that take over if a player leaves a match?

breaks
May 12, 2001

My suspicion is that it decides in whatever way it decides if you set the bot level to auto in a custom game.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
If I lose another 4v4 because some peacekeeper does a lap around the map reviving their whole team in kind of stupid yakety sax chase scene i'm going to cliff myself

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaj posted:

This doesnt really answer my question. So the only cross platform relationship is the map?

Yeah sorry that was the answer. The map is the only cross platform function. There is no crossplatform gameplay of any kind whatsoever.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
What's the answer to cliff-hugging Warlords? I'm not sure what to do against the headbutt / shield push combo, but I'm getting a bit sick of falling off cliffs endlessly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rainuwastaken posted:

What's the answer to cliff-hugging Warlords? I'm not sure what to do against the headbutt / shield push combo, but I'm getting a bit sick of falling off cliffs endlessly.

Give em the old walk-away

ellbent posted:

If I lose another 4v4 because some peacekeeper does a lap around the map reviving their whole team in kind of stupid yakety sax chase scene i'm going to cliff myself

If you see the enemy has a fuckey peacekeeper or a bot who does that exact same thing, just camp the dude you murder at the beginning of the round and wait for him to inevitably show up

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah sorry that was the answer. The map is the only cross platform function. There is no crossplatform gameplay of any kind whatsoever.

are you implying that the map doesn't contribute to the gameplay experience!?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue posted:

are you implying that the map doesn't contribute to the gameplay experience!?

No I'm stating it directly.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Sitting on point B as a Raider with the minion-related Feats (or talents or whatever they're called) is some of the most fun you can have in video games.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I know this was pages ago but I played a shitload of Orochi before switching into Peacekeeper. Keeper plays exactly how I was expecting both classes to feel, where you rely on getting a parry to open a combo or get off quick chip light attacks to interrupt the enemy heave attacks. Orochi, on the other hand, feels just as slow as any other class, where a solid-timed light attack won't be able to interrupt a slow-as-hell Raider heavy attack, and if you're playing a counterattack-based class who is THAT slow why even bother? Peacekeeper just seems objectively better from the 10+ games I've played of each class

I play Peacekeeper and Warden more or less myself. Initially during CBT I wanted to play as Conqueror and Nobuchi but I'm completely awful at both of them, so messing around with various classes eventually found two that I'm decent with. Orochi I never really felt comfortable with.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

No I'm stating it directly.

Hey the map could be fun, everyone likes Risk right!?!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol there is some guy on Twitch who was designated a "Samurai General" by the devs and he's been doing nothing but playing Peacekeeper all day long for thousands of viewers.

Basically the perfect summary of Faction War.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It dosnt't hurt. just a little metagame to give some context and motivation to random battles

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
And occasionally dispense a new emblem or hat or whatever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can understand feeling overwhelming indifference towards the faction war but the idea of actually being bothered by it in any way shape or form is utterly alien to me.

It's a little thing to inspire a bit of tribalism in the playerbase, and if you buy into that it encourages you to mix up which game types you play because "oh this one isn't a Front for us right now". Or you can totally ignore it. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Expect the faction war to bloom into something that has more meaning eventually. It's a little spartan right now and is missing stuff that gives players more control over its results. It's like fish out of water right now.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 11, 2017