Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DatonKallandor posted:

And neither of them are canon for Automata I think. Because Yoko Taro.

It's too ridiculous to me. Frankly, in my opinion, Nier has one ending and it is bittersweet and reasonably simple. Papa Nier saves his daughter, but ultimately and unknowingly dooms mankind. Popola and Devola are dead, which might suggest the Replicants are all doomed to die out from being unable to breed but I always felt that the existence of all those other tribes suggests that breeding as usual exists and in ample supply.

This is the ending I assume will be going on for Automata, an ending with a world where all human life has finally extinguished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

DatonKallandor posted:

Trying to pin together a ~canon~ for Yoko Taro games seems like an exercise in frustration.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tomie knows me posted:

Trying to pin together a ~canon~ for Yoko Taro games seems like an exercise in frustration.

I thought it was established that all endings and possibilities are canon because of timespace and multiple universe fuckery?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
My money is on the canonicity of the Nier endings being irrelevant for Automata

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's too ridiculous to me. Frankly, in my opinion, Nier has one ending and it is bittersweet and reasonably simple. Papa Nier saves his daughter, but ultimately and unknowingly dooms mankind. Popola and Devola are dead, which might suggest the Replicants are all doomed to die out from being unable to breed but I always felt that the existence of all those other tribes suggests that breeding as usual exists and in ample supply.

This is the ending I assume will be going on for Automata, an ending with a world where all human life has finally extinguished.

Well you say that but... Papa Nier kind of forgot about the whole "curing his daughter" thing after she got kidnapped.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nina posted:

That collaboration music video got released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEf7p_7MjkM

And it's gone!

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I thought it was established that all endings and possibilities are canon because of timespace and multiple universe fuckery?

This is the exact sort of poo poo I'm talking about here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nohman posted:

Well you say that but... Papa Nier kind of forgot about the whole "curing his daughter" thing after she got kidnapped.

He doesn't need to cure her at that point. The Black Scrawl is just the signs of a shade attempting to occupy a Replicant body. Gestalt Yonah dies in all of the endings so Replicant Yonah is fine from then on.

Tomie knows me posted:

This is the exact sort of poo poo I'm talking about here.

They are, but specific endings are still canon for specific sequels. E.g. Drakengard 2 being on the A ending line, while Nier is on the E ending line, from Drakengard.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

After DOD3 and "oh actually it doesn't lead into any other games" I've given up on fretting over the canon of the Taroverse too much

Augus posted:

And it's gone!

Welp. At least I found this mirror if anyone is interested

https://vid.me/V1TK

Nina fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 6, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Augus posted:

And it's gone!

Got no problems watching the youtube link.

That's quite a video.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Got no problems watching the youtube link.

That's quite a video.

'Based on a story by Yoko Taro' :lol:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If I'm going to get the first Nier, I want the old man version, and not the kid version, right? That'd be Gestalt?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Bogart posted:

If I'm going to get the first Nier, I want the old man version, and not the kid version, right? That'd be Gestalt?

Only Papa Nier is available in english; Kid Nier was only for the 360 PS3 in Japan, so unless you're shopping for the game in Japanese, you don't actually have a choice.

Edit: Had the consoles backwards.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Only Papa Nier is available in english; Kid Nier was only for the 360 in Japan, so unless you're shopping for the game in Japanese, you don't actually have a choice.

PS3 but yeah, he's JP only. I don't think there's much difference in the it outside of some incidental dialogue though so :shrug:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I still love to this day that there are two Niers and both carry different tones with their stories, even if the beats are the same.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jesus, forty bucks for an Xbox copy. Maybe Nier's on the PS4-to-PS3 thingy.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Bogart posted:

Jesus, forty bucks for an Xbox copy. Maybe Nier's on the PS4-to-PS3 thingy.

Nier doesn't exist in any digital format so NOPE! Shell out $20-40 used to some guy on Amazon or Gamestop.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brainamp posted:

I still love to this day that there are two Niers and both carry different tones with their stories, even if the beats are the same.

neir is after all all about perspective

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

DatonKallandor posted:

Presumably the "Base" ending that's true for everyone still applies though, i.e. Nier defeats the Shadowlord and puts an end to the Gestalt Program.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've just realised that I've only ever seen the first ending. I started a second playthrough several months ago and got more of Kainé's story, and then just sort of...left it.

I should really correct this.

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 8, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Genocyber posted:

He doesn't need to cure her at that point. The Black Scrawl is just the signs of a shade attempting to occupy a Replicant body. Gestalt Yonah dies in all of the endings so Replicant Yonah is fine from then on.

She had Unspecified Anime Wasting Disease before she contracted the Black Scrawl. That's because her original human self was sick with it when she made contact with that Grimoire in the prologue, so her Replicant was created with that sickness being a part of it. The whole reason Nier eventually agreed to join the Gestalt project after initially rejecting them was the condition that they figure out a way to cure Yonah's illness. So she's still doomed to die.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Continuing this CIA document about Nier's ending: Didn't Taro Yoko make a comment about how she still dies after any of the endings anyway?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCrzJdF8Z4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yep. can't wait

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Game is gonna rule.

Also, was that Beepy???

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Help. I'm cynical and jaded about video games and these feelings of hope and anticipation are confusing to me now.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

That's a real interesting tattoo on that shirtless boy...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BlackFrost posted:

Game is gonna rule.

Also, was that Beepy???

didnt look too similar but who knows after 7000 years

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Real hurthling! posted:

didnt look too similar but who knows after 7000 years

Yeah I looked it up and in retrospect they look nothing alike. I thought I'd seen that robot dude before but I guess I was wrong!

E: Ah, now I know why he looks familiar, he was revealed already. He's Pascal:

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/776525755400400897

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 11, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

a kitten posted:

Help. I'm cynical and jaded about video games and these feelings of hope and anticipation are confusing to me now.

Man you've been out of the loop. Video games have suddenly gotten awesome again ever since Trump became President. Residnt Evil 7, Nier Automata, and Nioh are ushering in a new Golden Age of gaming that will no doubt continue with Zelda and Horizon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I highly appreciate everyone using spoilers for Nier, an old game that I'm still playing. Thanks everyone.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
2/23??!?!???!!!!

ITS NOT MARCH? YESSSSS

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

verbal enema posted:

2/23??!?!???!!!!

ITS NOT MARCH? YESSSSS

Japan release date.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Coughing Hobo posted:

Japan release date.

FUUUUCKKKK

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am reaching unbearable levels of hype for this game.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Japan release date.

Wait if its the Japanese release date then why did i just get an email from the square store saying my preorder has been confirmed and shipping?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Ekusukariba posted:

Wait if its the Japanese release date then why did i just get an email from the square store saying my preorder has been confirmed and shipping?

They really want your money, and they really want it now.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Oh poo poo that one line was Emil wasn't it.

And surely, this will be a perfectly happy love story

Nina fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 11, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I highly appreciate everyone using spoilers for Nier, an old game that I'm still playing. Thanks everyone.

aeris dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Still mad I got tricked by that date