Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The world pawns are irrelevant from a memory consumption perspective. Even on the most bloated, ancient saves they're only taking up a few megabytes (they're a bit larger than that on disk because the save files have to write down a bunch of stuff that's implicit in the code structure).

The big problems aren't the things that are being kept around intentionally, but rather the things that aren't. Unity's memory tools are complete poo poo, making it nearly impossible for Tynan & Co to know if they're leaking objects or why. To find the leaks that I fixed in my mod, I had to write my own god drat memory profiler. ZorbaTHut took it and improved upon it, so Ludeon now has a functional memory profiler, which should help a lot going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Raided some tribals. packed up four prisoners. Butchered the dead and packed up the meat and skins. autosave gave a memory error and when I opened the world map it crashed :negative:

I want to raid these pesky tribals dammit!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just had a large group of pirates attack. A group of about 10 and one of them had a doomsday launcher, I was pretty nervous.

Before they got half way to my base they found a sleeping puppy of mine and all gathered close around it, then shot it point blank with the doomsday rocket killing 9 out of 10 of them instantly and sending the last one fleeing. Good work pirates! I'm shocked there's no minimum rage rule for the AI using that weapon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Baronjutter posted:

I just had a large group of pirates attack. A group of about 10 and one of them had a doomsday launcher, I was pretty nervous.

Before they got half way to my base they found a sleeping puppy of mine and all gathered close around it, then shot it point blank with the doomsday rocket killing 9 out of 10 of them instantly and sending the last one fleeing. Good work pirates! I'm shocked there's no minimum rage rule for the AI using that weapon.

same except they attacked my sleeping thrumbo (who survived the explosion with serious injuries but no permanent ones)

it was HILARIOUS.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Been there. Sadly I lost the after screenshot. They caught a caravan guard.

I looked at it all "na he wouldn't fire at that range" But he did.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

Raided some tribals. packed up four prisoners. Butchered the dead and packed up the meat and skins. autosave gave a memory error and when I opened the world map it crashed :negative:

I want to raid these pesky tribals dammit!

How exactly do you kidnap prisoners when you're on a raid? I've not been able to figure it out.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

yoloer420 posted:

How exactly do you kidnap prisoners when you're on a raid? I've not been able to figure it out.

When you incapacitate the last enemy the map becomes yours. Claim their houses, turn a bedroom into a prison. Bind their wounds until they stop bleeding and then move out. They even help you carry loot. I cut down a few trees and build a butchers bench to harvest the dead while my soldiers rest a bit after the raid.

Edit: Visual aid.

Time to leave.

Everyone accounted for.

And the harvest.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 11, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

if you are unlucky enough to get nailed with malaria or plague in your first 4 months then yeah that is pretty bad, but beyond that it is eminently doable to navigate that particular problem with no deaths.

Yeah this is the issue, my boy randy decided he is going to be randy ravage and has consistently smacked my colonies with plague in the first 2 weeks. When I rage restarted and did a scenario edit to disable plague he went for malaria instead. Thats not even enough time to grow any herbal medicine to treat more then 1 person, and he either goes in pairs or targets the village witch doctor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah if you're getting nailed by that poo poo in the first month people are gonna die, that blows the big one

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dejawesp posted:

When you incapacitate the last enemy the map becomes yours. Claim their houses, turn a bedroom into a prison. Bind their wounds until they stop bleeding and then move out. They even help you carry loot. I cut down a few trees and build a butchers bench to harvest the dead while my soldiers rest a bit after the raid.

You're the real space pirate.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
As entertaining as Dejawesp's posts are (and dear god are they)...

I kind of want to see them run a Dwarf Fortress.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Lprsti99 posted:

As entertaining as Dejawesp's posts are (and dear god are they)...

I kind of want to see them run a Dwarf Fortress.

I would I would! But god does that game look bad. It's like starring into those Matrix monitors. I don't know if I could handle it.

Okay basic base roundup. At first I wanted a rigid cast system for my colony. The population would be split into skilled craftsmen and then conscript fodder. The craftsmen lived near where they performed their task. As skilled craftsmen I counted "Growers" "Doctors" "Cooks" "Crafters"

The fodder would then be split into skilled soldiers who had good fighting skills and regular conscripts who where pawns that could neither fight well nor perform any profession very well. The skilled soldiers would then have their own barracks, separate living quarters and better equipment.

However I found no real use for skilled soldiers. 30-40 conscripts with armored vests and assault rifles were great for all forms of fighting and splitting the fighting force into different forms of fighting and weapons would just be a headache. So all dedicated soldiers ended up living in the barracks and I tore down the soldier quarters and turned it into an armory instead.

My colony capped out at about 80 residents. Of which about 55 were soldiers and the rest were craftsmen. I recruited everyone I could my hands on and then only killed off pyromaniacs, old and infirm people. Those who couldn't really contribute.

However I started having severe memory problems and I had to prune my colony a bit. I decided to go with 30 soldiers and then about 12-16 craftsmen. First I killed off all drug addicts because they would often cause trouble by breaking line in the middle of a fight to get high. Or be high when you needed them for something.

I then killed off all people with traits that reduced work and movement speed

Then I killed off all people who couldn't haul
All craftments with less than "burning passion" for their job
All the soldiers who didn't have "passion" for ranged fighting
All brawlers

After that I had the craftsmen I needed and about 35 soldiers. So i killed off a few more soldiers with negative traits and I was down to 27 soldiers (whoops!)

The base is now split up into civilians and soldiers. Civilians have red caps and no weapons while the soldiers have Kevlar helmets, armor and weapons. This is because replacing armor for regular wear and tear becomes very expensive in the long run. Civilians also handle weapons poorly and cause a lot of friendly fire so I keep them disarmed.

Pictures.

From left to right. farm fields, mainly devilstrand and then some corn and healroot.

To the right is the graveyard. It's a fledgling baby graveyard now but one day I hope that it will grow into a big beautiful butterfly graveyard.

South section.

The wood floor part is where skilled field staff live. Those who tend the fields

The section with sterile tile is the medical wing. Four large living rooms where the four doctors live. JT and Tail are both doctors and married so they share rooms. Arroyo is a chef but lives with his doctor wife Moyer. To the right of the living quarters is organ and bionics storage. The floor is color coordinated depending on what type of parts they are.

Bionic eyes
Bionic Arms
Bionic Legs

Prosthetic arms
Prosthetic Legs
Power Claws (used as cheap hand replacement)

Lungs
Hearts
Livers
Kidneys

Below organ storage is the research section. A small medical smokeleaf indoor hydroponics growing area and the drug benches for making medicine. As well as a small stockpile for medical and research equipment. Also the Luciferium that I don't trust to keep in the regular stockpile.

Below the doctors living quarters is the hospital ward. As well as a small stockpile for medical supplies. To the left of the ward is the prison. The prison covers the whole west wall of the colony and is separated by a double granite wall and double doors. Each prison cell has a green and a red light which depends on what the prisoner is for. Red means organ harvest and green means recruitment. Dark cells are empty at the moment.

To the right of the medical wing is the kitchen (granite tile floors) It has four living rooms for cooks, the kitchen. As well as three freezers. The top freezer is for grains and raw materials. The middle freezer is for raw meat and dead animals, the lower freezer is for meals.

To the right of the kitchen is the butchers cabin. The idea is that dead animals are brought in there without going through the rest of the colony.

To the right of the butchers cabin is the courtyard. It has the drop pod launch platforms as well as the mortars. The mortars are modded Devastator Mortas. Each cost about 1600 iron, uses an enormous amounts of power, has a 70 second reload but also fires a volley of six mortars. It balances mortars a bit without having to man them with 30 people and have them take up so much space.

To the right of the courtyard is the drop pod supply shed. It also has a freezer where I stored dead bodies while building the graveyard. Behind the sandbags are a few turrets. I barely use turrets because they tend to explode and I like to train soldiers when defending.

This is what the courtyard originally looked like. It was a small valley I found while mining out the mountain. I assumed it was solid rock at the time.

The graveyard and growing fields are all under solid mountain but I wanted to give them the illusion of being outdoors through the lighting and the design of the field staff quarters having outer wall designs.

Third line of defense. The main entrance to the facility. It has areas where troops can fire from cover but I have never had to use it for fighting. Red lights denote killboxes. The base is cooled by the four coolers located behind the little trench holes right before the main door. All heating for the base is by venting the hot air from the freezers back into the main hall.

This is what the outside looks like. It enters into a small valley that only has a single entrance from the south. Originally the exit from the valley was about 5 blocks wide and very good for early defense. I gradually widened it as I needed to fit in more troops to fire on attackers.

This is the first line of defense. Attackers will try to make it across the fields as it is considered less effort than breaking through three granite doors. The gunners on the left side are covered by fire poppers in case an enemy uses fire weapons (they are very useful)

Second line of defense. Two vulcan cannons covered by smaller turrets. The Vulcans are bad at hitting fast moving targets but reliable for something that stands to fight. When a single mad animal shows up I leave it to the second line instead of drafting soldiers.

Sappers will attack these two points sometimes. I reinforced the mountain walls with granite and that made sapper attacks rarer. I also added minefields which tends to kill off the sapper and make the raider attack the main entrance instead.

Back inside. To the left you can see a closeup of the prison. To the right of that is the barracks. At the top is the three craft halls. Left to right: Metal, Cloth, Stone. Below those are the six bedrooms of the skilled crafters. Below the bedrooms is the armory (granite tile floor)

The armory used to be the barracks of the skilled soldiers. Which is why it has so much empty space.

Not much to say here. The main stockpile and to the right is the nuclear power generators. The room is chilled to minus 30 Celsius to deter infestation. That is the one room I cannot afford an infestation because those generators are very expensive. Each generate 20.000 power and I need all of them.

Another closeup of the prison and barracks.

My main regrets:

I should have made all inner walls two blocks thick. Double wide walls are great for design and placing objects like fire poppers, display cases and lights.

I should have started the graveyard sooner

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 11, 2017

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pretty sure the RPG has a minimum arming range.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You made me google that, 5 meters. Are those hard to set or what? I would want at least 20.

You can never have too many fire poppers.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Today I learnt that slaughtering boomalopes makes them explode :ughh: Sorry Simon, but at least you only got burnt a little bit.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

MadJackMcJack posted:

Today I learnt that slaughtering boomalopes makes them explode :ughh: Sorry Simon, but at least you only got burnt a little bit.

What really? I thought it just happened when they died.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He hit the unexploded pus packet

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Dejawesp posted:

What really? I thought it just happened when they died.

Slaughtering, not butchering.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Lprsti99 posted:

Slaughtering, not butchering.

Oh yeah the killing blow. Yeah that will explode them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Put them in an animal zone far away from anything valuable and shoot them a few times.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Carcer posted:

Put them in an animal zone far away from anything valuable and shoot them a few times.

But enough about how best to handle colonists with unfavorable traits.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The glass roof mod is a lot of fun when combined with insulated walls and steam vents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Uh, I thought the RPG7 actually didn't have an arming range and was fused by means of a pressure trigger on the nose, the safety mechanism is that the trigger has a plastic screw cap over it that you take off before firing it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The arming range of the RPG-7 is indeed 5 metres.
Which is especially hilarious because this is true for all 4 or the rocket types.

Also for the fragmentation rocket that has a lethal range of 150 metres.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Whelp, I've hit a new depth. I am now purposefully blinding then administering Luciferium, flake(crack), and go-juice to prisoners and releasing them so that when they come back in the future they will have a ton of drugs on them while simultaneously being hard to kill from the Luceferium effects but extremely poor combatants because they don't have any eyes.

As long as I don't literally blow their heads off, they go down, get mended, and released again.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I don't do hellholes... This screenshot is from A15.

This one is from the colony I'm currently playing.

The tribe partying in the kitchen.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

cugel posted:

This one is from the colony I'm currently playing.

That is fancy. What are your plans for it in the long run?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Goatse obviously!

Eh, too much work, not this time; I'm waiting for my tribe to research the minigun turret. Maybe several hands holding them.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to at least add the ring to one of the fingers.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
"I don't do hellholes", the player said, before showing off his skull-themed fortress.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
He is a benevolent overlord to his minions. They've got nice beds and proper food and everything.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I swear I see human leather in the leather stockpile. I know my human leather.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
As long as you get a psychopath to do it there's no effect on your guys.

Being nice to your colonists doesn't mean you're nice to anyone else.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, it has no effect on the psychopath. Your colonists care about other people.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder if there's a mod that reduces the penalty for performing unsettling acts over and over again. Maybe the first time you butcher another human being it should really unsettle you, but around the hundredth are you really feeling all that bothered? I mean they did try to kill you after all, and why let the leather go to waste?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hmm. Just make sure you only accept psychopaths into your fortress of slaughter colony.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if there's a mod that reduces the penalty for performing unsettling acts over and over again. Maybe the first time you butcher another human being it should really unsettle you, but around the hundredth are you really feeling all that bothered? I mean they did try to kill you after all, and why let the leather go to waste?

Please never let a video game accurately simulate the hedonic treadmill and desensitization.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
There is a limited number of stacks for that mood debuff so it kinda does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carcer posted:

Hmm. Just make sure you only accept psychopaths into your fortress of slaughter colony.

That's what I did. Except for one.

She's the experiment.