Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

It's not bad. At first I got annoyed with how it constantly felt like it was about to take off and sound 'bigger' but never did, but now I can accept it as it is. So obviously a rejected Rihanna track though, even before I knew that was actually the case.
Maybe his secret plan with the minimal production is to have it turn into a remix powerhouse for the clubs. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've definitely been waiting for Seeb or someone to get on it. I don't really like EDM at all but this is begging for a club remix.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That song's about dating a portly gal, right? Like he takes her to a buffet on the first date cause he couldn't afford it otherwise. Am I reading this right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No it's because they're skint because Ed Sheeran is just SO drat RELATABLE

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Why did they choose the guy who's stare looks like it's putting a hex on you as the relatable guy?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I literally have no idea where to post this since it is R&B and I didn't see a thread for that kinda stuff. This song really brings me back to that soulful bad-boy R&B from the late 90's and early 2000s. Lido is incredibly talented and has a lot of other cool work.

https://soundcloud.com/lidogotsongs/recruit

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
J-pop + '80s throwback = best of both worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RT5ztHYn18

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess this would be the thread to post a new Depeche Mode song, right? Because here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpuaPfOuxB0

It's nothing drastically unexpected, but it's got a solid hook and timely lyrics. I feel like it's the first time they've done "social commentary" type lyrics since... maybe as far back as "People Are People", 30+ years ago? (Well, I guess "John The Revelator" too.) But it's refreshing. They're good at it, in small doses.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 3, 2017

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Escobarbarian posted:

I've definitely been waiting for Seeb or someone to get on it. I don't really like EDM at all but this is begging for a club remix.

Not really a remix so much as a cover but it feels more fitting than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPQ6jaz-BHk

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Katy Perry's new song is out. I'm sure it will grow on me eventually, but on first listen it sounds like a real waste of some great production. The lyrics seem like they don't fit the song, especially the "wasted zombie" line in the chorus. I buy that Sia had a hand in it, but Katy doesn't quite have what it takes to pull this off.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I really like Katy Perry but I really cannot get into this song. The wasted zombie sounds shoe horned every time it is said. Maybe I need to keep listening to it but wow this is the most underwhelming track she has brought out recently. Ugh

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The instrumental is pretty drat good and it was wasted on a poo poo song. (I need to find just the instrumental somewhere)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not heard the Katy song yet but it can't be as bad as Roar

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's a bad song. The message is so boring and it's definitely not going to get me swaying to its distorted zombie beats.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can she go back to making dumb trashy party songs? Birthday was very good.

distortion and song doesn't even rhyme

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 11, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The song's not great but I think it's better than Rise. Also, the lyric video is awesome.

There's a lot going for the song, it just never really comes together.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The song is weird in a sense that I think the production sounds fantastic but the vocals and feel of the song jump all over the place. In some ways it feels like a mashup artist mixed two songs I've never heard together, because the lyrics and music technically fit together but it doesn't seem like they were meant to.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Not heard the Katy song yet but it can't be as bad as Roar

It definitely is. No contest.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWsW6c6t8g

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Ah yes I too like Pharrell's protege

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Khagan posted:

Ah yes I too like Pharrell's protege

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not but that video of him listening to this song for the first time with Maggie was really cool.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Not sure if you are serious? Im looking forward to her EP.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 15, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Linkin Park tried pop

https://youtu.be/lp00DMy3aVw

The lyrics are so bad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a terrible chorus but otherwise super generic and oh my god so weird from Linkin Park

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It doesn't sound anything like Linkin Park. Had I been told it was any number of other pop groups, I probably would've believed it. It's so BLAND.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Linkin Park is at their best when they stop pretending to be metal and embrace their pop talents, but... yeah, don't know what happened there. Surprisingly generic for a band that's usually reliable for great hooks.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I actually kind of like it. It sounds a lot like Linkin Park to me just without instruments. I don't know if Linkin Park has even been known for their word smithing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Linkin Park tried pop

https://youtu.be/lp00DMy3aVw

The lyrics are so bad

i busted out laughing when the girl straight out of a chainsmokers song showed up

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's been downhill ever since the Transformers movies replaced them with Imagine Dragons.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy and recommend that everyone listen to A Thousand Suns. It's the album Linkin Park was meant to make, for better and worse. It's a blatant anti-nuke message with enough sincerity to have an audio clip of an MLK speech as well as that Robert Oppenheimer quote everyone knows, but it's also got Waiting for the End which has always sounded to me like the thoughts of a person who just swallowed a bunch of pills in an attempt to kill themselves. Like a less screamy version of a song that would have been on Meteora.

also, in less "my terrible music taste" news, I went back and listened to 24k Magic and this album is really fuckig good. It's a great counterpoint to Starboy because the latter felt like throwing everything out to see what stuck while 24k is an actually composed album like guys like Prince or Michael would have made. It's not as good as Thriller (obvi) but it's similar in that all of the songs are great potential singles.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Heyo here is a new Lana Del Rey video for 'Love':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NTv0CdFCk

I think it's a really cute song and I she looks really happy :3:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy and recommend that everyone listen to A Thousand Suns. It's the album Linkin Park was meant to make, for better and worse. It's a blatant anti-nuke message with enough sincerity to have an audio clip of an MLK speech as well as that Robert Oppenheimer quote everyone knows, but it's also got Waiting for the End which has always sounded to me like the thoughts of a person who just swallowed a bunch of pills in an attempt to kill themselves. Like a less screamy version of a song that would have been on Meteora.

I personally believe music history will be kind to that album; to me, it's a (mostly) unqualified masterpiece and the high point of their career. In addition to simply being filled with great, musically diverse songs, the track flow/sequencing is right up there with other classics like NIN's The Fragile.

(I only say "mostly" because the final track, though brief, is painful to listen to and nothing is lost from pretending it doesn't exist.)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

DC Murderverse posted:

also, in less "my terrible music taste" news, I went back and listened to 24k Magic and this album is really fuckig good. It's a great counterpoint to Starboy because the latter felt like throwing everything out to see what stuck while 24k is an actually composed album like guys like Prince or Michael would have made. It's not as good as Thriller (obvi) but it's similar in that all of the songs are great potential singles.

I agree that A Thousand Suns is actually really good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Heyo here is a new Lana Del Rey video for 'Love':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NTv0CdFCk

I think it's a really cute song and I she looks really happy :3:
It's fine but boring. Definitely no High by the Beach.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

It's fine but boring.

Aka the majority of what she has put out since Born To Die (the album).

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy and recommend that everyone listen to A Thousand Suns. It's the album Linkin Park was meant to make, for better and worse [...] it's also got Waiting for the End

Haven't heard the album but that song was pretty good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one LP song I can still play unironically is New Divide. That's from around the Thousand Suns era, right? May have to check the album out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

Aka the majority of what she has put out since Born To Die (the album).

Ultraviolence is real real good, especially the first half. It's a very mood dependent album, but when I want to listen to it nothing else will do.

edit: it sounds like if a Manson girl made an album and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DC Murderverse posted:

Ultraviolence is real real good, especially the first half. It's a very mood dependent album, but when I want to listen to it nothing else will do.

edit: it sounds like if a Manson girl made an album and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible

I basically cut tracks 6-9 and include the B-Sides and it may as well be a masterpiece. Honeymoon was a drag comparatively and I don't expect her to every really come back from it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

^burtle posted:

I basically cut tracks 6-9 and include the B-Sides and it may as well be a masterpiece. Honeymoon was a drag comparatively and I don't expect her to every really come back from it.

I give LDR more credit than that, even if Honeymoon is really sluggish. It just didn't quite have the sharp character focus that Born to Die and Ultraviolence have. BTD is absolutely massive but they all have the same character perspective (Shallow LA Baby) and Ultraviolence dropped the hip-hop influence and went full 1960s Cult Leader's/Beat Poet's Girlfriend, but Honeymoon almost feels like a B-sides album where it's just a bunch of tracks she had sitting around after the first two and didn't want to put in the effort for a new full album.

I really like Love, so hopefully that is the beginning of something new and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Escobarbarian posted:

The one LP song I can still play unironically is New Divide. That's from around the Thousand Suns era, right? May have to check the album out.

Some time in between A Thousand Suns and the previous album, actually. But yes, listen to A Thousand Suns. I'd recommend that to just about anyone.

Since we're talking about it so much, might as well post one of the singles from it (which is also one of its best songs and actually, essentially, the climax of the album):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs

EDIT: Also, the album they made after that wasn't nearly as good, but it did have a few gems like "Roads Untraveled", which has this great Irish folk song-type vibe to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLgQKiUk7ms

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 23, 2017