Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

alkanphel posted:

Grab something like a Minolta Autocord if you want a value for money 6x6 camera. If you still want a DSLR shaped camera, get a Pentax 67. Don't waste your time with 645.

Yeah after looking into it, the Autocord with a light meter is probably best. I think I was stuck in the "more money = higher quality" mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

change my name posted:

it seems like the Pentax 645 is probably the best place to start? My budget is kind of tight and I like the idea of just going from 35mm/a DSLR to something comparable. Am I on the right track?
The Pentax 645 is a fantastic camera, but like MrBlandAverage said, if you want to go 6x6 go 6x6. Dont settle for a middle ground.

There are plenty of options to go 6x6 in the sub $200 range.

SLR:
Keiv 6c
Kowa Six MM
Pentacon Six

TLR:
Yaschia Mat 124G
Mamiya C33
Ricoh Auto 66

Rangefinder:
Mamiya Six

You may have to hunt around, but they are there. The SLRs will handle similarly to your DSLR, the TLR and Rangefinders operate differently. But if can go up to $300 - Bronica S2

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Also the expensive cameras have incredible resale so you won't really be out much if you don't like it and resell it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

fastbilly1 posted:

The Pentax 645 is a fantastic camera, but like MrBlandAverage said, if you want to go 6x6 go 6x6. Dont settle for a middle ground.

There are plenty of options to go 6x6 in the sub $200 range.

SLR:
Keiv 6c
Kowa Six MM
Pentacon Six

TLR:
Yaschia Mat 124G
Mamiya C33
Ricoh Auto 66

Rangefinder:
Mamiya Six

You may have to hunt around, but they are there. The SLRs will handle similarly to your DSLR, the TLR and Rangefinders operate differently. But if can go up to $300 - Bronica S2

I forgot all about the Pentacon Six, that's probably where I'll go from here (and I'm guessing the Mamiya Six is the older model, because the newer one is >$1,000).

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

change my name posted:

I forgot all about the Pentacon Six, that's probably where I'll go from here (and I'm guessing the Mamiya Six is the older model, because the newer one is >$1,000).
Two different products from two very different companies. Mamiya is Japanese, Pentacon is German.

I am a big fan of the Mamiya C series TLRs, since they have swappable lenses:

Mamiya C330, 80mm, on porta 160.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

change my name posted:

fastbilly1 posted:

Two different products from two very different companies. Mamiya is Japanese, Pentacon is German.

Additionaly the Pentacon six is a mechanical slr and the Mamiya is a rangefinder that requires batteries, with only 3 lenses available. There is an older mechanical Mamiya 6 that is a folding range finder with an attached lens.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

aricoarena posted:

Additionaly the Pentacon six is a mechanical slr and the Mamiya is a rangefinder that requires batteries, with only 3 lenses available. There is an older mechanical Mamiya 6 that is a folding range finder with an attached lens.

Yeah that's the distinction I was trying to draw, should have worded my original post better. I meant that I assume he was referring to the cheaper old model when he listed it, since the newer Mamiya 6 is definitely outside my price range.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

change my name posted:

If you can find a Pentacon Six with the modification for mirror lock up (often just called MLU in listings online), go for it. And don't be afraid of buying some of the cheaper Ukrainian lenses. I've always had good results with the Arsat/Arax-C 80mm 2.8. The 50 and 180 Carl Zeiss Jena lenses are the main German lenses you'd want to buy.

My local store ran out of Porta 400, and the stuff I ordered online hasn't arrived yet, so I bought a pro pack of 400H. It's even less like Portra than I remember.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Pro400h is just like portra but instead of being good it's bad

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

To me, 400H feels like looking at the world through a very thin layer of translucent caucasian skin.

Edit: What am I going to do with the other 4 rolls.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 9, 2017

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Byron Bay by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Helensburgh by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

beaverton night by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

night shootin w' dukeku in december

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Greenhills by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Clifton by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bellagio by alkanphel, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:popeye: never stop shooting that rolleiflex

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Menai by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 21, 2017

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
After a month of my free time I finally finished scanning and editing photos from my vacation to New Zealand and Australia.

NZ-2 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-7 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-25 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-31 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-37 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Seems appropriate to put this here since I shot it with an 8x10. Slightly :nws: if you look closely.

Lauralee by Jason, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kurnell by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kurnell by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Does a Bronica etrsi 645 with AEII finder, Zenzanon pe 75 and 150 lenses for 250 sound like a good deal to break into medium format?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

To "break into" MF just get a 6x6 or 6x7 camera.
Forget the 645.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Choicecut posted:

Does a Bronica etrsi 645 with AEII finder, Zenzanon pe 75 and 150 lenses for 250 sound like a good deal to break into medium format?

Save another $250 and get a really nice Pentax 67 kit.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Awesome. Glad I asked before running out and getting it! It popped up on Craigslist and the guy seemed trustworthy. I'll hold off for a Pentax or the like to pop up here or local. Thanks dudes!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I like it! :eyepop:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A Graphic View 4x5 camera in good clean condition
Two lenses included, already mounted on boards Graflex Optar 4.7 135mm, Graflex Optar 6.8 90mm
Comes with a back (not sure what this means, looks like it has ground glass and a metal hood)
Comes with 4 film holders
Carrying case included

$250

Is this a good deal?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

A Graphic View 4x5 camera in good clean condition
Two lenses included, already mounted on boards Graflex Optar 4.7 135mm, Graflex Optar 6.8 90mm
Comes with a back (not sure what this means, looks like it has ground glass and a metal hood)
Comes with 4 film holders
Carrying case included

$250

Is this a good deal?

If you want to hate taking your 4x5 anywhere, definitely get a 50+ year old monorail.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
yeah it definitely looks like an absurd piece of equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

couple more of these