Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I thought The Marinator was going to dob the first of those goals, but I was ok with it sliding across the face when McCormick snaffled the loose ball on the line and snapped that gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

quote:

Rising defender Jayden Hunt looks like taking his game to a new level in 2017.

Hunt's competitiveness, raw speed and ability to break the game open were on full display, as he was best afield in the match practice.

Hunt, judged Melbourne's best young player by the club's coaching staff last year – despite not being nominated for the NAB AFL Rising Star award – has bulked up considerably and has been one of Melbourne's best trainers this pre-season.

:swoon:

I can't wait for him to have some ridiculous line-breaking 30 disposal game this year where the rest of the league goes "holy poo poo"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the new watch afl deal is sweet. i think foxtel bought it?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

the new watch afl deal is sweet. i think foxtel bought it?

I wouldn't know, the AFL clubs haven't sent their 'international pack' logins out yet and when I tried last weekend for some of the AFLW, it wasn't letting me get in to the app. I'll try the website again.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

I wouldn't know, the AFL clubs haven't sent their 'international pack' logins out yet and when I tried last weekend for some of the AFLW, it wasn't letting me get in to the app. I'll try the website again.

the url changed in case you didn't know. there's afl live or whatever too.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/

it's free until march 23rd with the PRESEASON17 code

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

the url changed in case you didn't know. there's afl live or whatever too.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/

it's free until march 23rd with the PRESEASON17 code

r-e-a-l-l-y hoping they sort out the payments (another friend on my club here actually emailed the Saints to ask about the international member passes, apparently that's still being negotiated or details finalized) so that I'm not paying for a membership as a way to get the international pass, and having to buy the subscription separately. That would be lovely.

I also like how they didn't port over addresses or logins from the old service, and how when you get the notification, it's like "Now you're ready to watch AFL outside of Australia" since they know what's up.

[edit] if the Chromecast streaming works well, and the app doesn't require you to re-login every time, then it'll be miles better than last year, I will grant them that much.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

r-e-a-l-l-y hoping they sort out the payments (another friend on my club here actually emailed the Saints to ask about the international member passes, apparently that's still being negotiated or details finalized) so that I'm not paying for a membership as a way to get the international pass, and having to buy the subscription separately. That would be lovely.

I also like how they didn't port over addresses or logins from the old service, and how when you get the notification, it's like "Now you're ready to watch AFL outside of Australia" since they know what's up.

[edit] if the Chromecast streaming works well, and the app doesn't require you to re-login every time, then it'll be miles better than last year, I will grant them that much.

it also looks like they have no replays from anything earlier than this years womens season, which blows.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Queuing up outside the ground waiting for the gates to open, a few hundred lining up already. Just had a wander around the family day event on the other side of the ground, a ton of kids there and bith mens and womens teams were signing autographs which was neat to see.

New carlton players are getting their jumpers in 5 minutes.

Fake edit: gates open!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That's adorable, but on the other hand she'd probably be father-daughter ruled to the Hawks, so BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Watch AFL trip report

I just started using this today, apologies for whatever I said a few pages ago, it's irrelevant now. And apologies if anyone has already shared the following info.

General:
  • This is an entirely new site, the AFL has given it over to Fox Footy to run. The old site redirects here, though.
  • I wasn't able to use my old login details, I had to sign up with a new account.
  • I put in my CC details for a season, but it won't charge me until March 23rd, and I can cancel beforehand.
  • It still works fine using Getflix (and presumably other DNS proxy services), I don't have to use a VPN.
  • It's essentially just the Fox Footy channel, so you can stream it 24/7 and watch all of the footy shows etc. No more repetitive highlights packages during breaks! Although that means ads.
  • You can watch the footy shows on demand.

Performance:
  • Speedtest.net says I have a 95Mbps connection, and the site recommends 5Mbps, but it keeps buffering for me when I have it set to the 5.4mb quality setting.
  • It works for me seamlessly at the 4.3mbps setting, and looks pretty good too. But no doubt this will vary greatly.
  • Edit: now it's working nicely at the top speed
  • The 'Auto' quality setting is pretty useless, it's a pixelated mess always unless I set it manually to a speed.
  • When switching quality settings it can become unresponsive, I've been switching and then pressing F5 and it works immediately.

So, it's a mixed bag. I love that it's just the Fox Footy channel now without needing Foxtel, but the performance and responsiveness needs to improve. I am optimistic, though, as previous pre-seasons have had similar issues that they've ironed out by the time the season proper comes. Maybe they scale it up as more people sign up. Dunno, but I'll keep checking in on it and make a call before March 23rd.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 11, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Scores level at 3 quarter time. 4.4 28.

Close game so far, gws are very good at clearances but the blues are taking a lot of high and contested marks.

Crowd is apparently ~8000, with almost everyone moving with the shade.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Crows v Blues next week :getin:

Grand Final preview

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Da blooos! :toot:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: the couple who play for Melbourne and Collingwood respectively.

Wasn't there a thing where the players could nominate which team they wanted to be drafted by? ie If someone wanted to stay in their home state they nominated a club from there.

Surely if you are an engaged couple, wouldn't you both nominate the same team?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure you just got to pick whether you wanted to stay in your home state or not, you didn't get to pick a club.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gabensraum posted:

Watch AFL trip report
:words:

Well, if it is just the Fox Footy channel with the ability to watch all the shows on demand, I guess foxtel is finally getting disconnected. Thanks for letting us know. Stupid question probably, but you can watch full match replays right?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You get to nominate which state you're being drafted in which for four of the teams means you get to nominate a team, but Victorian players get no say.

ANTI-VICTORIAN BIAS :qq:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've been farting around with the ratings for the AFLW, since obviously we don't have much to go on at the start I decided to start all the ratings on the same foot (and give them a zero base). Only differentiation was home state advantage, which I've kept as 12 points even though the games are a bit shorter at this stage.

It's like going back to when I started doing this all those years ago because I'm doing the working out by hand.
code:
Rd 1
                                         prediction  result          swg  now      swg  now	
CAR   0 vs COL    0 - Princes Park   (V) ---      0  CAR by 35  CAR  +35  +35 COL  -35  -35
ADE   0 vs GWS    0 - Thebarton Oval (S) ADE by  12  ADE by 36  ADE  +24  +24 GWS  -24  -24
WBD   0 vs FRE    0 - Whitten Oval   (V) WBD by  12  WBD by 32  WBD  +20  +20 FRE  -20  -20
MEL   0 vs BRL    0 - Casey Fields   (V) MEL by  12  BRL by 15  MEL  -27  -27 BRL  +27  +27

CAR +35
BRL +27
ADE +24
WBD +20
FRE -20 
GWS -24
MEL -27
COL -35
After the first two games this weekend this is how it's shaping up.
code:
Rd 2 				
                                         prediction  result          swg  now      swg  now	
WBD +20 vs ADE  +24 - Whitten Oval   (V) WBD by  12  ADE by 25  WBD  -37  -17 ADE  +35  +59
CAR +35 vs GWS  -24 - Princes Park   (V) CAR by  17  CAR by 13  CAR   -4  +31 GWS   +4  -20
COL -35 vs MEL  -27 - Princes Park   (V) MEL by   1  
FRE -20 vs BRL  +27 - Fremantle Oval (W) FRE by   7

ADE +59 (+35)
CAR +31 ( -4)
BRL +27
WBD -17 (-37)
FRE -20 
GWS -20 ( +4)
MEL -27
COL -35

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Why is it -37 for the Bulldogs but only +35 for Adelaide?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Why is it -37 for the Bulldogs but only +35 for Adelaide?
Uhh that's a good question, should've left this to the compeuter. Brainfart. Should be +37 for Adelaide of course.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
3 touches to Mo Hope in the opening 2 minutes. This won't go well for the Dees

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dees blowing a couple of chances near goal.

Pies are all over them.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

gabensraum posted:

Watch AFL trip report

Yeah I tried hooking the laptop up to TV with HDMI last night for the game and while the speed was fine with no buffering it was that pixelated mess where half, or at least the bottom third of the screen would look awful. Didn't play around with the settings though which I should have but at least it ran smoothly. Will give it another go with lower settings next time

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gently caress my life

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You'd think maybe in a comp where scores are under 50 points a game you'd learn pretty loving quick to not give away stupid frees and 50s for shots on goal but apparently not Jesus loving Christ

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I actually am beginning to wish we didn't have a team so I could watch and enjoy women's footy without our shitness sapping my enthusiasm for the men's season

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo dees can play footy

Two great goals back to back.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

This is looking better

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeahhhhhh Back In Town

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nice comeback from the Dees

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And a third. scores level, great comeback dees.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

This is really good footy from the Dees this quarter, good linkages and supporting each other.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Can Katie Brennan please replace Luke Darcy on Saturday nights too

Dees looking amazing here!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

:stare:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

And Daisy hasn't even looked like the best player on the ground.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

phwoar what a mis...mark...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That defending...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

:stare:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
1 or 2 week ban?

That goal was great. If just 1 Pies player was between the mark and the goal line they would have stopped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Elise o'dea :allears:

• Locked thread