Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

AirborneNinja posted:

Book Bobbie was way more mellow and professional when introduced I think.

We don't really get much about her at all before poo poo goes completely bananas and she has to deal with the psychological impact from that. They had better do that scene right.

The first scene in the first episode of this season was a better representation of the MMC than the rest of the stuff that followed.

uber_stoat posted:

Real live US marines do poo poo like that, don't see why Martians wouldn't.
They don't call each other "soldier", but that's more a cultural artifact arising from the US' weird division of forces and the rivalry therein. I think the point is to convey the arrogance and hubris of the MMC. Just before they get their poo poo wrecked

So yeah, that's a legit parallel.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Eiba posted:

Introducing Avasarala early was fantastic and she's been constantly wonderful to have around.

Introducing Bobbie early... hasn't paid off quite so well. Honestly my favorite part of her story in the show so far is her CO. He seems reasonable. Like a reasonable adult in a room full of children, you can kind of sympathize with him.

I don't think they're getting Bobbie wrong, exactly, but this isn't a particularly interesting part of her story. I appreciate the jingoistic Martian perspective as giving us a window into how that culture views things... but there's only so far that angry shouting can go. It would help if they were ever not angry. Her team even seems constantly angry with each other, and I don't think I've heard them say anything that wasn't in a shout.

That's basically my only issue with this season so far. I love how good the last episode was, even though it was basically all just people wandering around and talking on Tycho.

Isn't he from the book? I remember a Belter kid Miller was hanging with during and after Thoth station. Was that not this guy?

Wherever he's from, I agree that he's been pretty good, all things considered. A good window into the belt and a good youthful enthusiastic naive contrast to Miller's old weary pragmatism.

Part of the problem ok entirely the problem is the actor playing Bobbie is loving terrible at her job.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

fyodor posted:

Part of the problem ok entirely the problem is the actor playing Bobbie is loving terrible at her job.
People were saying Wes Chatham as Amos was terrible in season 1 (before they got dogpiled by book-readers.)

Everything she's done so far was probably filmed in 1-2 days of shooting. I say give her a chance to settle into the role before declaring her loving terrible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

The thing they gloss over is how long space travel still takes, even with the Epstein drives. Sure you can accelerate endlessly, but only at speeds that would be comfortable to endure. It's mentioned in the books that some of the longer voyages have taken months to complete, although they mercifully don't have too many chapters about not going mad from sharing the same stank air with people for that long. I'd imagine long-haul space travel mostly attracts people who don't mind being alone with their thoughts for long spans of time or the same stories over and over.

I agree they don't do a great job getting across transit times in show, but travel wouldn't take months. The only trip I can think of that would even remotely have taken "months" is in (book stuff) Cibola Burn. Because of the "speed limit" around the gates

In the 1st season thread, we did the math on 0.5g acceleration from 0m/s to the halfway point and then 0.5g decel from halfway point to 0m/a. Even at the longest (one side of the belt across the solar system to the other on a hyperbolic path outside the ecliptic)is just about 2 weeks. Cargo haulers are probably more sedate at 0.3g, but it's not a linear increase in time. 1g to 0.5g only added a couple days on to the trip. For Earthers and MCR Fleet, 1g would be perfect. Regular Martians would probably 0.3g to 0.5g and belters 0.3g to be in their comfort zones. If you have a magic acceleration drive, why not take advantage to make the ride as comfortable as possible.

Constant acceleration has a HUGE impact on velocity and transit time. Partly because you are increasing velocity every moment to reach the halfway point (and then flipping and decreasing that velocity for the second half), but also because you don't need to plot huge arcing ballistic paths to get to your destination.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 11, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

So does that mean that entirely Earther crewed ships have a higher "cruising speed" then other ships?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The Muffinlord posted:

The thing they gloss over is how long space travel still takes, even with the Epstein drives. Sure you can accelerate endlessly, but only at speeds that would be comfortable to endure. It's mentioned in the books that some of the longer voyages have taken months to complete, although they mercifully don't have too many chapters about not going mad from sharing the same stank air with people for that long. I'd imagine long-haul space travel mostly attracts people who don't mind being alone with their thoughts for long spans of time or the same stories over and over.

Yeah, but you'll get that in any adaptation to T.V. or film, it's not exciting to watch a long transit time and it's rarely worth precious screen time to break it down. Now, since in the Expanse you can easily hit weeks or months of travel time depending on your destination it might be worth reinforcing that fact, but at the same time it's not like the characters make a big deal about it in the book. It's just "oh, we're going to be burning to this place for X long period of time? Cool let's go." and then the next chapter will have the character at their destination.

Now what will bother me is if they start ignoring communication delays and have a live video chat take place between, say, Tycho Staton and Earth, because that's a pretty important detail to get right, in my view anyway.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Svaha posted:

People were saying Wes Chatham as Amos was terrible in season 1 (before they got dogpiled by book-readers.)

Everything she's done so far was probably filmed in 1-2 days of shooting. I say give her a chance to settle into the role before declaring her loving terrible.

Fair enough. Perhaps I have a bias because she seems miscast for a rough and tumble space marine. Another thought is maybe I'm dumb.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

So does that mean that entirely Earther crewed ships have a higher "cruising speed" then other ships?

I would imagine it does, although that's just when they want to stay in their comfort zones. Everyone can accelerate much faster provided they don't mind being pinned in a crash couch for days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WrightOfWay posted:

There are a few chapters where the gang needs to get somewhere in a hurry and belters moan about being uncomfortable, but it’s never generalised as a thing that gives Earth corps an advantage. They seem to care at least a little about reactor fuel and propellant mass expenditures.

Someone upthread said “if the Martian navy burns at 1 g for training, can’t the UN navy burn at 1.5 g and become beastly super soldiers?”

Maybe, but AFWK they don’t.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 11, 2017

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

fyodor posted:

Fair enough. Perhaps I have a bias because she seems miscast for a rough and tumble space marine. Another thought is maybe I'm dumb.
You are not dumb, it wasn't great.

As I said, this version of her was never in the books. She has some stuff coming that shapes the character a lot. I'm less interested in how she is portrayed now vs what the character is like at the other side of all that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It was specifically called out in this last episode that Mars has superior ships. Given the MCR's training and operating in 1G *and* the fact they're all the same specieis when you get right down to it, I can't imagine Earth having any real advantage other than sheer numbers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, but you'll get that in any adaptation to T.V. or film, it's not exciting to watch a long transit time and it's rarely worth precious screen time to break it down. Now, since in the Expanse you can easily hit weeks or months of travel time depending on your destination it might be worth reinforcing that fact, but at the same time it's not like the characters make a big deal about it in the book. It's just "oh, we're going to be burning to this place for X long period of time? Cool let's go." and then the next chapter will have the character at their destination.

Enh, that's not really true. I'm going through the books for a second time, and they actually do make a big deal about travel time in the books all the time. Especially once the gates open up, and they start traveling to all the ring worlds. If I remember correctly, the Earth gate is beyond the reach of Pluto. So from Earth to Illus they say it takes 18 months.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Enh, that's not really true. I'm going through the books for a second time, and they actually do make a big deal about travel time in the books all the time. Especially once the gates open up, and they start traveling to all the ring worlds. If I remember correctly, the Earth gate is beyond the reach of Pluto. So from Earth to Illus they say it takes 18 months.

Right but I think the majority of that is due to the (book stuff again, sorry)Slow Zone around the gates. It limits anything with physical mass to 600 m/s. That's where the majority of your transit time is going to stack up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flosofl posted:

Right but I think the majority of that is due to the (book stuff again, sorry)Slow Zone around the gates. It limits anything with physical mass to 600 m/s. That's where the majority of your transit time is going to stack up.

Nope. Once Miller convinced the Ring Station to lift the restrictions, full speeds resumed. The name the Slow Zone for the area around the Rings and Medina Station simply stuck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Nope. Once Miller convinced the Ring Station to lift the restrictions, full speeds resumed. The name the Slow Zone for the area around the Rings and Medina Station simply stuck.

drat. That's right. I completely forgot that.

However, I did a quick lookup, and distance from Earth to just Pluto is about an order of magnitude greater than it is to Jupiter. So when you add up whatever distance form the far side of the gate it probably does end up being a major trip, magic drive or no.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

fyodor posted:

Really? You don't think it's at all the scripting and directing that has her do nothing but yell and backtalk her superior whenever he's being reasonable? It's all on the actor here?

Like, who could make that likable or interesting?

fyodor posted:

Personally, I have no trouble buying her as a rough and tumble space marine. She's actually totally sold me on that. The issue for me is that rough and tumble space marines are kind of boring and annoying!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I kind of took it at face value that Miller killed Dresden for revenge, but his reasoning makes a lot of sense: Dude was already pulling some Mengele-type "for the greater good" charm over Holden and Fred and probably could've talked his way out of anything. Killing him before he got too far in his manipulations was a good call.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, yeah, I was hoping to avoid bringing more book spoiler stuff into here and it seems I invited it in. No biggie though. What I meant was the characters don't really sweat a long travel time to get to a job or just to where they want to go the way almost all modern people do. The only modern comparison I can think of is long deployments on military or shipping naval ships, and the closest obvious modern situation is serving for months at a time on a nuclear submarine that's constantly submerged. A lot of people just aren't built to handle that, and I'm sure plenty on Earth aren't in the Expanse, but huge swaths of humanity just treat it as normal.

Obviously the books specify how much travel time is involved because they're books, you have plenty of room for that world building detail stuff.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

NowonSA posted:

huge swaths of humanity just treat it as normal.

No. A tiny fraction of humanity that we've seen travels in space and so it is normal for them.

Earthers who go out, do so by choice, every single one we've seen.

Martians are also out by choice, seeing as how every martian we've seen is either military, former military, or politicians.

Belters are literally born and live out their whole lives in conditions not much better than a ship.

I mean, we literally only see people who are ok with space because the show is set...in space!

Maybe unnamed background extra #3 in one of the earth scenes gets spacesick, we don't know.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Well, yeah, I was hoping to avoid bringing more book spoiler stuff into here and it seems I invited it in. No biggie though. What I meant was the characters don't really sweat a long travel time to get to a job or just to where they want to go the way almost all modern people do. The only modern comparison I can think of is long deployments on military or shipping naval ships, and the closest obvious modern situation is serving for months at a time on a nuclear submarine that's constantly submerged. A lot of people just aren't built to handle that, and I'm sure plenty on Earth aren't in the Expanse, but huge swaths of humanity just treat it as normal.

Obviously the books specify how much travel time is involved because they're books, you have plenty of room for that world building detail stuff.
There might not be many modern parallels, but there are plenty of historical ones. The world was a huge place in the age of sail, but that's the era where the modern global economy began, and "huge swathes" of humanity just got on with what they had to do to make the system work. Living on a piece of technology in a void may be alien to humanity, but we've managed before when it was wood and canvas in the expanse of the sea, and I'm sure we'll manage when it's metal and plastic in the vacuum of space.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

The Expanse, Season 2: "So... Do you like space gladiator movies?"

The Expanse, Season 2: "I think all that radiation failed to give me superpowers"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Svaha posted:

The Expanse, Season 2: "So... Do you like space gladiator movies?"

The Expanse, Season 2: "I think all that radiation failed to give me superpowers"

"Have you ever talked to a pedophile?"

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

The Expanse, Season 2: "I just...Hate...Space!" :barf:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Also chad coleman has a recurring role on Always Sunny playing a very very different character. I never put two and two together.

Dee would make a pretty good Belter.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Got a quick book/future plot question: Hi, and thanks for moving over this spoiler. :wave: It is my understanding that the whole alien/proto molecule angle gets resolved more or less quickly, or at least the story focuses much more on the UN/Martian conflict in the future. Is that correct? No need to give a comprehensive answer, just a quick, yes or no is sufficient. Many thanks in advance!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tarquinn posted:

Got a quick book/future plot question: Hi, and thanks for moving over this spoiler. :wave: It is my understanding that the whole alien/proto molecule angle gets resolved more or less quickly, or at least the story focuses much more on the UN/Martian conflict in the future. Is that correct? No need to give a comprehensive answer, just a quick, yes or no is sufficient. Many thanks in advance!

The protomolecule is put more‐or‐less on the back burner in Caliban’s War.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Not a yes or no, but keeping it vague: there's a couple books worth of material before it really becomes a background detail, but (incredibly vague plot spoiler) the focus is always on the conflict between human groups the whole time.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Still feels like they're sabotaging what could be a great show and putting out a merely good show. :smith: On the plus side, art design is fantastic - the ships, the sets, the props, the costumes - they're killing it. The actors for Amos and Miller are killing it. Pretty much every scene with Amos has been compelling, from confronting Miller to figuring out his fellow sociopath. The effects shots of the enemy PDCs tearing through the Roci were legit beautiful even down to the gently tilting camera, and I rewatched every gif posted in the thread. Also episode 3 had way more breathing room for characterisation, like that montage of Alex obsessively drilling the simulation, Miller refocusing his own twisted obsession weirdly (but interestingly?) contrasted to Naomi simply cutting loose to the jamming sounds of 100,000 dying people. So that's cool.

Buuuuut on the other hand!

Weird mad-haired ranting evil scientist in janitor jumpsuit Dresden was way less memorable than the smug suit-wearing corporate face of the Protomolecule Dresden from the books. I can only assume that seemed too cliché but it's such a bizarre adaptation change that makes the whole thing feel flat. In the books it felt like they'd actually caught the head of the snake and his unsettling calm was way more impactful.

Plus the more corporate vibe would've led more nicely into the Protogen Protomolecule "they found an alien weapon and the first thing they did was BRAND it" which the episode really needed. They also glossed over the whole "extra-solar" thing which sucked. That reveal is so huge (and would've drastically improved the conclusion of season 1!) and the characters don't really discuss the implications of this information, and just immediately go back to their interpersonal relationships after an initial "Did he say...?" like nothing happened.

The show still shoots a lot of scenes very flat, like a soap opera would. grilldos made a fantastic point about the blocking on page 7. Look at Holden and Naomi arguing in the bedroom in this ep, they both just stand up and stand still and face each other and it's just a-shot, b-shot, bizarrely static and drama-less.

While everyone else stands perfectly still and exposits in low voices, Miller at least always gets to act and display character in the way he moves and in his expressions, and the show doesn't seem to trust anyone else with that. (Amos is obviously played more subtle but even the way he leans on the glass of the prison cell in the background while Holden and Scientist Man have their talk about Eros feels like it's more than Holden has done physically in three episodes.)

I'm really curious what the first/second unit direction split was in the show, because the Avasarala scenes usually have some interesting lighting and cinematography (though the Earth setting obviously affords the former), the Miller in the Mormon Holograph room was shot in a really cool way, and then on the other end of the spectrum you have the incredibly flat Martian marine scenes that are all exactly the same.

quote:

INT MARTIAN SHIP
The marines are in the training room sitting with the vague intentions of doing something with their unused power armour, perhaps picking up space spanners.

BLONDE MARINE:
[to Earthborn Marine] Have you heard what Earth did to us in Avasarala's last scene? Bet you liked that because you are were born on Earth, Earther.

EARTHBORN MARINE stands up angrily.

EARTHBORN MARINE:
What did you say?!

BLONDE MARINE actually slaps a table before she stands up and squares off to him because this is how you show anger in a school play. The FOURTH MARINE stands in the background doing nothing.

BOBBIE:
Cut it out, you two!

The LIEUTENANT appears leaning both hands on a panel. The marines, already standing, stand even harder.

Beat.

LIEUTENANT:
Sergeant, I'm ordering you to do a thing that isn't going to war with Earth.

BOBBIE:
[weirdly disobedient to an officer] But I hate Earth so much!

BOBBIE leaves, her jaw tight. Close in on the LIEUTENANT thoughtfully furrowing his brow at her.

Three episodes of that! I'm not ready to blame the actors (re: Bobbie) yet because they all suck in those scenes. Because all of the Martian material has sucked. It's broadly sketched and cliché ridden so you never get any sense of realistic characterisation. And it never captures that military (or marine) atmosphere either, feeling like it was written by someone who didn't do any research but vaguely remembers a few war movies so they're pretty much going off "they say 'sir' and 'oorah' sometimes and occasionally stand to attention".

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MRC Marine stuff screams of fan-service to get Bobbie on screen ASAP. It does literally *nothing* to advance the plot other than HULKBOBBIE WANT SMASH PUNY EARTH. And every scene is so hackneyed and terrible down to the "huh. we better wrap up all this inter-squad tension before we start doing actual plot stuff!"

And the depth of characterization so far has been lacking. Which is weird, because inconsistent as it's been, at times a lot of the background players in the rest of the show seem interesting at some level.

INTRODUCING BOBBIE AND THE REDSHIRTS:

Bobbie - I really hate Earth. A lot. And I'm strong.
The Lieutenant - I sure am war-weary. Really, you kids just don't understand war.
The Rich Bitch - I'm rich but I'm regular folk. I'm also xenophobic to the point of seriously threatening my ELITE squad's cohesion.
Earth Immigrant - I may be from Earth, but Mars is my home. Stop picking on me.
Some Guy: Really, I'm an integral member. But I'll just faaaade into the background.

It's a complaint on how the show presents the characters, but I guess(?) some book people feel it's a spoiler of some sort. Whatevs.
It's like the show is "here's some characters, but don't get too attached if you know what I mean"

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 11, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

nerdman42 posted:

I kind of took it at face value that Miller killed Dresden for revenge, but his reasoning makes a lot of sense: Dude was already pulling some Mengele-type "for the greater good" charm over Holden and Fred and probably could've talked his way out of anything. Killing him before he got too far in his manipulations was a good call.

Shiro Ishii and Unit 731

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

flosofl posted:

The MRC Marine stuff screams of fan-service to get Bobbie on screen ASAP. It does literally *nothing* to advance the plot other than HULKBOBBIE WANT SMASH PUNY EARTH. And every scene is so hackneyed and terrible down to the "huh. we better wrap up all this inter-squad tension before we start doing actual plot stuff!"

And the depth of characterization so far has been lacking. Which is weird, because inconsistent as it's been, at times a lot of the background players in the rest of the show seem interesting at some level.

INTRODUCING BOBBIE AND THE REDSHIRTS:

Bobbie - I really hate Earth. A lot. And I'm strong.
The Lieutenant - I sure am war-weary. Really, you kids just don't understand war.
The Rich Bitch - I'm rich but I'm regular folk. I'm also xenophobic to the point of seriously threatening my ELITE squad's cohesion.
Earth Immigrant - I may be from Earth, but Mars is my home. Stop picking on me.
Some Guy: Really, I'm an integral member. But I'll just faaaade into the background.

It's like the show is "here's some characters, but don't get too attached if you know what I mean"

The more import redshirt question is which one gets to pilot the Mech?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 11, 2017

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks, guys.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

flosofl posted:

It was specifically called out in this last episode that Mars has superior ships. Given the MCR's training and operating in 1G *and* the fact they're all the same specieis when you get right down to it, I can't imagine Earth having any real advantage other than sheer numbers.
There's a huge difference between training at 1g and living in 1g. Earthers are naturally stronger than Martians or Belters, and can take a lot more acceleration without passing out or flat out dying. That's an advantage in space right there.

Martian ships are more advanced than Earth ones, but we're not talking nuclear submarine versus ironclad more advanced. Earth ships can still hurt them just fine.

And we've seen that spending generations pushing around comparatively helpless belters has made Martians arrogant to the point of sheer loving stupidity. The Martian flagship got its poo poo pushed in in the first real fight it ever found itself in. You could say the same of Earth, but Earth has the numbers to absorb the losses and learn the lessons.

All in all, I think Earth would win a protracted fight. Unless Mars started throwing rocks at Earth, but I don't think a culture bent on bringing a dead planet to life could ever countenance such a thing.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I love the sci-fi stuff going on in the Expanse. Something the show hasn't really touched on yet is how difficult it really is to get out of Earth's gravity. The Earth's navy for instance isn't really being built with any resources that are shot into space from Earth on chemical rockets, I would imagine. Are these Epstein drives also used as rockets to get equipment into space from the surface of planets? Or has Earth constructed space elevators? Or is Earth really just written off as an overpopulated but basically self-sustaining type place, and Earth's power as a force in the Solar system is derived from it's control of orbital, moon-based, and other remote space-based installations?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gfarrell80 posted:

I love the sci-fi stuff going on in the Expanse. Something the show hasn't really touched on yet is how difficult it really is to get out of Earth's gravity. The Earth's navy for instance isn't really being built with any resources that are shot into space from Earth on chemical rockets, I would imagine. Are these Epstein drives also used as rockets to get equipment into space from the surface of planets? Or has Earth constructed space elevators? Or is Earth really just written off as an overpopulated but basically self-sustaining type place, and Earth's power as a force in the Solar system is derived from it's control of orbital, moon-based, and other remote space-based installations?

No space elevators. Some ships can manage takeoff and landing with their Epstein drives. Others (I guess those without Epsteins?) rely on help from ground-based mass drivers to get into orbit. I don't recall any chemical rockets.

Pretty much any ship with an Epstein drive can accelerate fast enough to kill its crew and then some, so the ability to overcome 1g to get into orbit isn't really the limiting factor.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

probably doesn't help that none of the new martian characters seem to have any chemistry with each other.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

No space elevators. Some ships can manage takeoff and landing with their Epstein drives. Others (I guess those without Epsteins?) rely on help from ground-based mass drivers to get into orbit. I don't recall any chemical rockets.

Pretty much any ship with an Epstein drive can accelerate fast enough to kill its crew and then some, so the ability to overcome 1g to get into orbit isn't really the limiting factor.

Interesting, cool stuff.

In case you nerds want more semi-hard sci-fi to watch that reminds you of The Expanse a little bit, I suggest you check out Outland (1981). It has a lot of the same stuff going on, and is a pretty entertaining as hell movie :) Just a smaller labor relations/capitalism run amok/conspiracy story though, no major political factions struggling for power.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

gfarrell80 posted:

Interesting, cool stuff.

In case you nerds want more semi-hard sci-fi to watch that reminds you of The Expanse a little bit, I suggest you check out Outland (1981). It has a lot of the same stuff going on, and is a pretty entertaining as hell movie :) Just a smaller labor relations/capitalism run amok/conspiracy story though, no major political factions struggling for power.

Yeah, but there are some ridiculous goofs in the film, like antigravity jail cells in which blood drips up towards the ceiling and people exploding upon exposure to vacuum.

It's basically a remake of High Noon in space, with Sean Connery playing Gary Cooper. Still entertaining, good performances.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Edit: fine.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Hey guy, not everyone here knows what's going to happen and this is a pretty lovely thing to do. I've read the books so I know, but others don't and you're straight up spoiling things. Good job.

I honestly don't remember what happens when they get to where they're going. I not making a comment on their fate.

I'm commenting on how shallow the characterization is and how the show is presenting them as if they aren't important.. But thanks for cementing that now

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 11, 2017

• Locked thread