Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Iraq was a bigger loss of life but Suez was definitely a bigger catastrofuck as far as British reputation went. That was probably the moment that should have popped the bubble of left over delusions of Empire, but sadly that seemed not to happen for a lot of people. It also gave the Soviets free reign to gently caress poo poo up in Hungary, which was bad. The Hungarian revolution of '56 (actually both that one & the one lead by Bela Kun) is something I really need to read more on. Anyway, Brexit could easily end up being worse than Suez.
Don't forget about the mid 50s polish revolution everyone forgets about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

Don't forget about the mid 50s polish revolution everyone forgets about!

Yeah, the one I only know exists because it was what gave the Hungarians the idea that they had more freedom to act than they did. And also it put Gomulka in power, who started quite reforming and then ended up awful, encouraging widespread anti-semitism. Hungary & Czechoslovakia definitely stand stronger in the cultural memory, probably because they were crushed & the Polish one wasn't.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zalakwe posted:

Two more last night, both from the Tories

From the Tories, exactly. One where the LibDems had a councillor in 2010, and the other in the Cotswolds, where only LibDems and Tories have councillors at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd be more interested in the comparisons to 2010. I want to see how much of it is just people forgetting that the Lib Dems are duplicitous bastards who will do the opposite of the policy you voted them in for.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd be more interested in the comparisons to 2010. I want to see how much of it is just people forgetting that the Lib Dems are duplicitous bastards who will do the opposite of the policy you voted them in for.

Much like all politicians.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The mail continues to gently caress with Gary Lineker apparently. Those fuckers need to be put against the wall.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I was looking for some content for my thread in NMD (warning: plug), and spotted this motion - http://www.parliament.uk/edm/1997-98/565 . Some familiar names there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/sjwrenlewis/status/830352496673554432

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

dex_sda posted:

The mail continues to gently caress with Gary Lineker apparently. Those fuckers need to be put against the wall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4205880/Gary-Lineker-saves-fortune-avoiding-tax-schemes.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...r-a7571181.html

The Mail see themselves as a Test Your Strength machine, with Lineker being the bell at the top. If they can get rid of him from MOTD, they win, that's their goal.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

HJB posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4205880/Gary-Lineker-saves-fortune-avoiding-tax-schemes.html

The Mail see themselves as a Test Your Strength machine, with Lineker being the bell at the top. If they can get rid of him from MOTD, they win, that's their goal.

I remember them hilariously running a smear article... about Lineker snogging his newly wed wife on an airplane.

Do they think accusation of tax evasion will work, when all the footballers do it and also MOTD is a BBC production? Last I remember Jimmy Carr was doing fine.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
It doesn't need to "work" when it serves as a clear message of "disagree with us? vocal about it? We will try to ruin you then".

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

It doesn't need to "work" when it serves as a clear message of "disagree with us? vocal about it? We will try to ruin you then".

Fair point. I doubt most people are as squeaky clean as Lineker appears to be, and those people will be less inclined to stand up to them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

dex_sda posted:

Fair point. I doubt most people are as squeaky clean as Lineker appears to be, and those people will be less inclined to stand up to them.

Not liking their overall vendetta, but it's a fair cop by the Daily Mail - I know someone who used to work for Ingenious Media and the whole thing is every bit as artificial as it sounds.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

Not liking their overall vendetta, but it's a fair cop by the Daily Mail - I know someone who used to work for Ingenious Media and the whole thing is every bit as artificial as it sounds.

Yeah, tax evasion is not a good thing regardless of who does it. Lineker may have very correct opinions and the daily mail may only care because he disagrees with them, but he still shouldn't be defended for doing it when other public figures would clearly be criticised.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

HJB posted:

How has he not already done them for libel?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

He might have, but the Mail has a huge legal department. Usually you don't hear from ongoing cases like those. Which is a pity because gently caress the Mail and all tabloids honestly.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Steve2911 posted:

Which bit do you think is libellous?

His defence in the Independence article was "I have always paid my taxes on time and in full" not "I've never invested in this tax avoidance scheme."

The tone of the article when it gets on to its ranting about luvvies and sanctimonious behaviour is pretty bad, but it's opinion and I don't know whether that would be breaking the law.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ALMOST 20 YEARS ALWAYS IN ARE HEARTS

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

gawd bless er princess of our eaarts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGTCRSfADXM

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ratjaculation posted:

Oh boy, Daily Express journalists are going to be furiously typing headlines and tenuous articles bout ARE DIANA in anticipation.
200 years from now, they'll still be writing "220 YEARS SINCE WE LOST ARE PRINCESS OF HEARTS"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

He might have, but the Mail has a huge legal department. Usually you don't hear from ongoing cases like those. Which is a pity because gently caress the Mail and all tabloids honestly.

I think he is currently doing them for libel regarding the statements from a few months ago, but yeah, the Mail has a huge legal department.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ratjaculation posted:

Rip 😥

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh boy, Daily Express journalists are going to be furiously typing headlines and tenuous articles bout ARE DIANA in anticipation.
200 years from now, they'll still be writing "220 YEARS SINCE WE LOST ARE PRINCESS OF HEARTS"

The irony is that if she is still alive they'd probably loving hate her.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Elton John gonna make bank on "Candle in the Wind 2017"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fangz posted:

I hadn't actually thought about that before. Ha, yeah you're probably right.
It'd be poo poo like "BULIMIC TOFF DIET-MAD ISIS-LOVER DIANA - TRAITOR!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 11, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

NEW ARCHEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE LINKS DIANA DEATH TO MADELEINE MCCANN!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fangz posted:

"Do Gooder Diana lectures ARE BOYES on not committing war crimes."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

NEW ARCHEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE LINKS DIANA DEATH TO MADELEINE MCCANN!

DID DIANA DRIVER MURDERER MURDER MADDIE!? SHOCKING NECROMANTIC CLAIMS!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Choosing to go along a path they know will destroy the nation because they're suddenly scared of what the public think is what's made them go mad. May believes none of the poo poo she has to spout daily. It's a farce.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ratjaculation posted:

I have clear memories of walking down to the corner shop as it opened- it was run by an elderly couple and they were replacing yesterdays papers with the new. The little old lady pointed out the previous few days of tabloid headlines, which essentially read "diana is slutting it up with a BROWN! on a YACHT! DIVORCE! SCANDAL! EXCLUSIVE PICS! " and contrasted them with the "PRINCESS OF ARR HARRTS! DEAD! SO SAD!" that just came in.

I got some very nice cherries and a babbys first lesson in how scummy the media can be that day, one of those memories that really stuck.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Last night I came across an outraged Brexiter pushing a poll on Change.org lobbying Theresa May to ensure Gina Miller wasn't part of the process, I can't fathom why she would be :shrug:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was in Paris when she died.

Went to the tunnel a few days afterwards to see the media throng and also paint marks + damage in the tunnel

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JFairfax posted:

I was in Paris when she died.

Went to the tunnel a few days afterwards to see the media throng and also paint marks + damage in the tunnel

Nice disaster tourism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sph9-UaJXek

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Here's the full version without weird cropping/quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDOqNlgoOE

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Piers Morgan's death will bring me a lot of happiness

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm still amazed he has a show and it's not just people saying "you're a loving oval office" and listing the many reasons

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Goon project: Get Piers Morgan fired from ITV?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Praseodymi posted:

Goon project: Get Piers Morgan fired from ITV?

I'll start the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's all kicking off in Llwchwr

https://twitter.com/steveclarkuk/status/830446398441156613

• Locked thread