Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
How do you guys do points for Sharp Practice 2? I'm seeing all these lists and the rulebook just says "points are a guide". But do you guys do "let's do around 100 points each side" or is there a different way to do this?

EDIT: Also here is a picture of Louis Napoléon Bonaparte's Dutch Brigade to celebrate a new page. Look at those sexy uniforms.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Kip posted:

How do you guys do points for Sharp Practice 2? I'm seeing all these lists and the rulebook just says "points are a guide". But do you guys do "let's do around 100 points each side" or is there a different way to do this?

EDIT: Also here is a picture of Louis Napoléon Bonaparte's Dutch Brigade to celebrate a new page. Look at those sexy uniforms.

Whoa!

This far we're really fudging around with SP2, making sides that look somewhat even. We're still thinking about what rules we want to change, and the previously mentioned shock saving throws would make elite units better, for example. So then we might add an extra cost for elites, and a cost reduction for conscripts and volunteers.

But yes, our first game was literally us going "ok, you have seven ranked units of Russians, and two groups of skirmishers? Well, then I'll take this formation of four Fusilier units, and four units of skirmishers. Hm, it sounds too much to have a cannon then, but how about a small unit of Dragoons since half of the Russians are elite units? Sure, and then we'll just sprinkle in some officers, the Russians have more of them but they are crappier. Go!"

And it worked great. We might use points later on, but you'll get very far with gut feeling, and there's not THAT huge a difference between different troops in the vanilla rules.

We also just kind of jammed in some drummers, as it feels wrong to not have them, without using the rules for support points and stuff. Again, no issues there.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
Another question: what do you guys use for skirmish movement trays? Or do you just move them seperately?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Another question: what do you guys use for skirmish movement trays? Or do you just move them seperately?

We move skirmishers independently, no trays.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I did a bloggy write up on our participation games at our local con here

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice. I think I know a couple of your players.

I realize you were probably just using the cards that come with the game, but one thing you can do to disambiguate leader number from leader level is to use poker chips instead, and rather than put a number on the chip, put the actual leader's name on the chip. So when you draw "Sergeant McMuggins" you know exactly who that is. For convention games it's probably worth doing, especially if people are unfamiliar with how activation in SP works.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ilor posted:

Nice. I think I know a couple of your players.

I realize you were probably just using the cards that come with the game, but one thing you can do to disambiguate leader number from leader level is to use poker chips instead, and rather than put a number on the chip, put the actual leader's name on the chip. So when you draw "Sergeant McMuggins" you know exactly who that is. For convention games it's probably worth doing, especially if people are unfamiliar with how activation in SP works.

Thanks, yeah is that John? He asked me if I was muggins on SA and I got all excited to meet a goon but he isn't one lol

I used chips, but can't customize them for every game like that

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

Thanks, yeah is that John? He asked me if I was muggins on SA and I got all excited to meet a goon but he isn't one lol
No, but he mentioned that he was playing SP2 at FlintCon and I knew you were running scenarios there. I told him you were chill and had a good grasp of the rules (he had a bad experience with SP2 at a previous convention and was a little gun-shy). He's one of the guys who got me hooked on Chain of Command, the bastard. :argh:

muggins posted:

I used chips, but can't customize them for every game like that
Stickers, meng. Just print the names on stickers.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
So I was looking around for paints or paintsets for my new little Napoleonic dudes and some blogs talk about how good Wargames Foundry's paint sets are - but holy poo poo are these loving sets expensive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

So I was looking around for paints or paintsets for my new little Napoleonic dudes and some blogs talk about how good Wargames Foundry's paint sets are - but holy poo poo are these loving sets expensive.

Everything Foundry is pretty expensive, unfortunately. I bought some Carbiniers and they are indeed nice looking, but £12 for 8 with no possibility to order individual minis is a bit of a bummer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Vallejo sells a Naploleonics kit, too.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Vallejo sells a Naploleonics kit, too.

Cool, I'll look into it!

The only thing I like of the Foundry paint thing is that it offers shade, base and highlight sets and I don't know which colours in the vallejo kit would be good there. I'm sorry, but I have to admit I'm kinda lazy there. I just want to paint my dudes after a long day at work and an easy paint thing that allows me to shade, base and highlight is just amazing for me. But the price is what's pissing me off.

EDIT: Does anyone incidentally know any documentaries on youtube I can listen to while painting mans? Anything that also isn't poo poo because there's some terrible History Channel docs - like "The Conquerors".

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 9, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Cool, I'll look into it!

The only thing I like of the Foundry paint thing is that it offers shade, base and highlight sets and I don't know which colours in the vallejo kit would be good there. I'm sorry, but I have to admit I'm kinda lazy there. I just want to paint my dudes after a long day at work and an easy paint thing that allows me to shade, base and highlight is just amazing for me. But the price is what's pissing me off.

EDIT: Does anyone incidentally know any documentaries on youtube I can listen to while painting mans? Anything that also isn't poo poo because there's some terrible History Channel docs - like "The Conquerors".

This is a decent docu about Austerlitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCyE9kW2yA

I accidentally started a History Channel doc on napoleonics and had to give up after like, 2-3 minutes. It was so awful.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 9, 2017

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dan Carlins Hardcore History is my go-to for when I'm doing anything where my eyes are busy but my ears aren't

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

This is a nice long audio book I listen to, if anyone wants this and hasn't had a free book from a friend on audible, just PM your email and I can send it for free.

(Or any of churchills history of the english speaking people's, or the thirty years war, or Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The Revolutions and History of Rome podcasts are also prime material for when you need hours upon hours of history themed background talk.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

lilljonas posted:

This is a decent docu about Austerlitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCyE9kW2yA

I accidentally started a History Channel doc on napoleonics and had to give up after like, 2-3 minutes. It was so awful.

The gently caress is Eagle Rock and why can't I watch it? :911:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Commissar Kip posted:

Cool, I'll look into it!

http://www.thewarstore.com/product20788.html

Some choices you could use for highlights, looks like.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm using coat D'Arms paints now since they have triads of base, share and highlight. I really like them.

That austerlitz documentary link doesn't work in murrica unfortunately

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

muggins posted:

I'm using coat D'Arms paints now since they have triads of base, share and highlight. I really like them.

That austerlitz documentary link doesn't work in murrica unfortunately
Pro post right here. Coat D'Arms are the company that made the oldschool late 90's GW colours for them. They still make many of the most beloved shades and are very reasonably priced.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

Pro post right here. Coat D'Arms are the company that made the oldschool late 90's GW colours for them. They still make many of the most beloved shades and are very reasonably priced.

Unfortunately they are also the hardest of the manufacturers to acquire - they're almost unobtainable in Australia, certainly from anyone with a web store who also hasn't ceased operating.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

NTRabbit posted:

Unfortunately they are also the hardest of the manufacturers to acquire - they're almost unobtainable in Australia, certainly from anyone with a web store who also hasn't ceased operating.

Here you go: http://www.olympiangames.com.au/c/4560348/1/paint.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That is the only one, and they've only had them for less than 8 months, which is the last time I went looking. Previous to that, I could only find references to it being available from a few mail order garage stores, none of which were still in operation. They have miniscule distribution. In comparison, the availability of Vallejo is virtually limitless, and Citadel and Army Painter aren't too far behind.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 10, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah I mean it's not easy to get here in the US there's only like one place I think, scale creep miniatures. And I'm still using Vallejo definitely and they're easy to find. I'm just not using Citadel or P3 anymore

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Grogs, I'm in need of some advice.

I've got Saga, enjoy it, and am looking for something in WW2.

So far I'm thinking either Flames of War, I ain't Been Shot Mum, or Chain of Command. Hearing about the card driven mechanic in I ain't been shot sounds appealing as it's a mechanic I really like in war boardgames. The hidden counters mechanic also sounds very interesting as the whole perfect knowledge thing drives me nuts in some of these games. Am I on the right track?

In regards to miniatures, is Flames of War stuff good to start with? I was looking at Forged in Battles website and they had some great looking stuff too.

I've got about zero other wargamers in my area as I live in the frigid loving northland wastelands.

Also Muggins, where did you get that sweet looking teddy bear fur grass mat thingie? Looks awesome. This article http://www.warlordgames.com/covering-normandy-in-teddy-bear-fur/ caught my eye and I so want to make that for a joint Saga/WW2 mat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The new edition of FoW may be pretty decent, I haven't delved into it. Don't forget Bolt Action! as a choice, either, if you want company-level games.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you go 28mm, you can play a bunch of different games with the same minis. Flames of War kinda locks you in to a smaller selection. I'd wait for the new edition of FoW before deciding if you want to play it, and look for 3rd party manufacturers since Battlefront overprices their stuff.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you go 28mm, you can play a bunch of different games with the same minis. Flames of War kinda locks you in to a smaller selection. I'd wait for the new edition of FoW before deciding if you want to play it, and look for 3rd party manufacturers since Battlefront overprices their stuff.

I'm actually looking at scales smaller than 28mm. I've got some 1:72 scale stuff, but I'm leaning smaller for that more cinematic effect. Though who knows where I'll end up.

I'll have to check out both the FoW and BA books.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
20mm and 15mm are great for that "I have a whole platoon worth of spares" feeling you get when you've been at it too long.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I haven't played IABSM, but as a Lardies game I'm guessing it's pretty good. I'm consistently blown away by how well Chain of Command plays.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Most people seem to think Plastic Soldier Company is a pretty decent value for 15mm WWII stuff, although obviously they don't have the same wide range as Battlefront.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Commissar Kip posted:

They're big full pots, and a little cheaper when you buy a big set. They're also convenient if you like triads.

But, yeah. It's a shame they don't put them on sale occasionally, like they do with their figures.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got my order from Great Escape Games, and now I'm happily drowning in plastics. The only slight surprise is that they mistakenly sent me British Line Infantry instead of French. I can only imagine the following taking place when they received the order:

A: "Boss. Boss! Look at this order that just came in."
B: "Hmm.. let's see... French infantry, French cavalry, I see, more French cavalry, Austrian infantry.... and... Russians? How does this Johnny Foreigner imagine that he's going to play Peninsular or 100 Days with Russians and Austrians?"
A: "No, it doesn't add up. Do you think... no, it can't be possible, but yet... do you think he might be planning.... something else than Peninsular or 100 Days?"
B: "Hohoho, no, don't be absurd. It's clearly a mistake. Just chuck in a box of Wellington's Best, and he'll be right as rain."

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You don't have to lie to us, j, we aren't gonna judge you for having ordered French *and* British in addition to the rest of that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like to think that it's exactly what happens sometimes. I had similar with PSC one time when I was buying 15mm American infantry but 20mm American tanks for totally different projects. They sent me everything in 15mm even though it would have cost more. Kind of :3: even if it was slightly inconvenient for me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

You don't have to lie to us, j, we aren't gonna judge you for having ordered French *and* British in addition to the rest of that

Oh, I already have 60 unpainted Scots from Victrix in my wardrobe, I'm loving drowning in minis here send help

E: basing 42 frenchmen tonight, gotta keep things flowing to the clubhouse

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 11, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yooper posted:

Also Muggins, where did you get that sweet looking teddy bear fur grass mat thingie? Looks awesome. This article http://www.warlordgames.com/covering-normandy-in-teddy-bear-fur/ caught my eye and I so want to make that for a joint Saga/WW2 mat.

http://www.cigarboxbattle.com/plush-terrain-mats-cigar-box-battle/

It's not as long as teddy bear fur but they're sweet

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Here's another tutorial

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=41700.0

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 12, 2017

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Yeah this dude is like the original teddy bear fur mat guy, his stuff is real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

To tide me over until I can buy a Perry Hundred Years War box, I've done a test mini for my Austrians:

White pants straight from parade and into Napoleon's guns :v: