Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Only if you're being involuntarily separated or jumping to guard/reserves.

Snap that's right. Missed the involuntary part at the top. Here's what he needs http://www.tricare.mil/Plans/SpecialPrograms/CHCBP

Here's the humana link about the plans https://www.humanamilitary.com/beneficiary/plans-and-programs/chcbp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And as he mentioned, CHCBP is absurdly expensive. When I got out in 2012, it would've been over $800 a month for me and my son.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

And as he mentioned, CHCBP is absurdly expensive. When I got out in 2012, it would've been over $800 a month for me and my son.

Yeah cobra is poo poo in pretty much every application because of price. I missed that in his post. My bad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Tell your babby not to get sick for a month? :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Are you eligible for your state's CHIP program?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Your separation date lets you get on a marketplace plan once you are officially out. Healthcare.gov. That might have a better rate than CHCBP. You can cancel after your work insurance kicks in. If you are really lucky, the company you want to go with through work will offer a plan through the marketplace. An insurance agent might be able to swing a deal where they just accept you right away to keep things simple.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Weird question, but apparently next week I'll be in the Austin Capitol manning a table for MPP/NORML to promote proposed legislation to decriminalize marijuana and expand the medical marijuana program in Austin. I've done lobbying before in DC, and went to a lobbying day this week in Austin, and people just eat the whole ARE TROOPS!!! thing up, so as much as I hate to be a cheesy guy pulling the vet card, I might as well do it for the purposes of advocacy.

For this week when I was lobbying in a suit, I just wore a small 1st MarDiv lapel pin, and that got noticed by a few other vets I chatted with, but I don't think it sends the point home with a wider audience. What's the most impactful way to say I'M A VET for advocacy purposes without looking like a VA burnout or a pretentious rear end in a top hat? USMC ballcap with a shirt and tie? I could get a non-camo 8-point cover and put a Marine pin on it, or a pisscutter cap and put a Marine pin on it, but the former seems really washed-up and the latter seems to derivative of American Legion or whatever fascist groups. I dunno, Marine ballcap the best option as a conversation piece?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tapout tshirt and silkies.

Actually though, I think looking professional is more important; I'd stick with the pin and maybe mention it if you can do so without being obnoxious. Maybe something like these?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yah I mean I have no practical experience but as a veteran if someone is ~representing me~ I'd rather them not be dressed like some stereotypical veteran y'know?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yah I mean I have no practical experience but as a veteran if someone is ~representing me~ I'd rather them not be dressed like some stereotypical veteran y'know?

You would think that, but man people dig that whole vet thing for advocacy.

Fwiw, one of the guys who's big in the TX weed movement has a big white beard and wears a 101st Airborne ballcap with a suit all the time when lobbying. Totally grant it's cheesy, but the veteran dicksucking is just ridiculous in general, and the larger cause is getting weed laws loosened so I'm willing to put aside personal fashion sense to win some points.

quote:

Actually though, I think looking professional is more important; I'd stick with the pin and maybe mention it if you can do so without being obnoxious. Maybe something like these?

The ties are cheesy, plus I have a personal grudge against the Marine Shop I'll not get into. But they're also still a little more subtle; again it's a really careful balance to get something that screams "VET" so that the average person gets it, but not be obnoxious, but erring towards obnoxious rather than a sign that only the savvy catch.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 10, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It was the first result for "USMC tie" but there are plenty of others. The people you're trying to convince are probably above sucking vet dick unless it's in a press release, so the sleeveless BDU top isn't going to do poo poo to help.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You don't have an EGA on your neck?

How can I trust you to lobby for us?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A who what now?

e: oh, the oval office cap

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Weird question, but apparently next week I'll be in the Austin Capitol manning a table for MPP/NORML to promote proposed legislation to decriminalize marijuana and expand the medical marijuana program in Austin. I've done lobbying before in DC, and went to a lobbying day this week in Austin, and people just eat the whole ARE TROOPS!!! thing up, so as much as I hate to be a cheesy guy pulling the vet card, I might as well do it for the purposes of advocacy.

For this week when I was lobbying in a suit, I just wore a small 1st MarDiv lapel pin, and that got noticed by a few other vets I chatted with, but I don't think it sends the point home with a wider audience. What's the most impactful way to say I'M A VET for advocacy purposes without looking like a VA burnout or a pretentious rear end in a top hat? USMC ballcap with a shirt and tie? I could get a non-camo 8-point cover and put a Marine pin on it, or a pisscutter cap and put a Marine pin on it, but the former seems really washed-up and the latter seems to derivative of American Legion or whatever fascist groups. I dunno, Marine ballcap the best option as a conversation piece?

If you want to be taken seriously with people that matter / people that make decisions, especially in a field like marijuana decriminalization, understatement is key - I'd stick with a bright gaudy red EGA pin or whatever you'd call it. It's the sort of thing other vets regardless of service will instantly recognize, and you will easily be able to tell when civilians have noticed it (ideally, pin it on your crotch). In all seriousness, I'd stick with just a pin, then find a way to work it into your talking points (which should be the easiest thing in the world to do).

Also whatup man remember awkwardly chatting on Disney in BAF in 2008

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I like the pin idea. If you want to be a shade more obvious a marine vet coffee mug strategically placed somewhere could be a good addition.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

I like the pin idea. If you want to be a shade more obvious a marine vet coffee mug strategically placed somewhere could be a good addition.

Oh, a unit coffee mug is a fantastic idea.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I got my TDRL review paperwork back today. They want to drop me from 70%, TDRL to 10% getthefuckout. Should I lawyer up?

They give me the option to accept, request a formal hearing, request reconsider with or without a hearing after. Obviously, Request Reconsider with Formal if not?

I am straight up freaking out they are coming for my retirement

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DownByTheWooter posted:

I got my TDRL review paperwork back today. They want to drop me from 70%, TDRL to 10% getthefuckout. Should I lawyer up?

They give me the option to accept, request a formal hearing, request reconsider with or without a hearing after. Obviously, Request Reconsider with Formal if not?

Hmm, government dopes want to delete your retirement on a whim, I'm sure you can talk it out with th-... are you loving kidding? Lawyer the gently caress up already. Why would you not spend a thousand or two to protect what is hundreds of thousands over the rest of your life?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
There are some provided navy counsels in the packet, guess I'll just send one of them an email.

Should I be freaking out or are is this just a lowball offer? My VA Rating for the unfitting condition is 70% and no I didn't just magically get better by retiring. It's such a wild review I'm guessing this is just to weed out any vet too lazy to sign and send back within the 15 days. Zero VGS, anybody else on TDRL?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DownByTheWooter posted:

There are some provided navy counsels in the packet, guess I'll just send one of them an email.

Should I be freaking out or are is this just a lowball offer? My VA Rating for the unfitting condition is 70% and no I didn't just magically get better by retiring. It's such a wild review I'm guessing this is just to weed out any vet too lazy to sign and send back within the 15 days. Zero VGS, anybody else on TDRL?

Nah I'm on normal disability, but yeah if you're not better then don't let them take your disability. Don't email like a goon, call up multiple of the lawyers in that packet and ask them, see who you get the best gut feeling about.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DownByTheWooter posted:

What state are you in? Did you miss any appointments, or is this coming after an exam?

If you are in Florida, PM me and I will get you in touch with people that will likely be able to help you for free. Depending on the level of these types of appeals, there are statutory fees granted to the prevailing attorney and no real cost to you. If you're outside of Florida, look up any VA disability attorney and call them for a consultation. They will always talk to you for free and let you know what's going on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When it comes to any VA appeals, always have a representative. Whether that's a VSO or a lawyer, you want someone on your side who deals with this poo poo daily. If you have a VSO now, they can tell you the appropriate level to get an attorney. We've got a list of dozens of attorneys in Florida all over the state that will help you out with these cases. There are also multiple colleges around that have veteran legal aid clinics that will cover you free of charge for basically any legal matter.

Do not ever try to fight the VA by yourself. There are experienced people ready to advocate for you. Depending on the part of the country it might be a little more difficult to find, but you are never alone.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's not fighting the VA he's fighting the Army or Navy or Air Force. His TDRL rating went from 70% to 10% after reevaluating.

Completely different ball of yarn from VA C&P ratings.

Do you have a VA C&P rating alongside your TDRL rating? Your supposed to get one before you separate medically these days but it gets hosed up all the time.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm fighting the Navy. I'm in CO, but the Naval Hospital I've done my medboards and exams has been San Diego.Yeah, I already went through all my C&P - like I said, the same condition is rated by the VA at 70%. I think the medboard just arbitrarily picks some percentage they feel like it's worth. I just want >50% so I can be retired. I spent my 20's serving in their loving wars and they shitcanned me when they were done with me, like yo I was an E6 at 11 wtf dudes. I hope I just shoot this thing back for a reconsider and I dunno, I'll take any % PDRL they'd give me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Even still, lawyer the gently caress up. There are people that do this every day. You want an advocate any time you're appealing anything. Anyone worth his salt will give you a free consult.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I agree. There are 3 handling Sandy Eggo Naval Hospital cases in the little packet at no cost to me, I plan to make calls Monday.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DownByTheWooter posted:

I agree. There are 3 handling Sandy Eggo Naval Hospital cases in the little packet at no cost to me, I plan to make calls Monday.

If you're in boulder I would suggest going to the VA outpost thing they have here. It's all confidential because they're just funded by the VA, not employed directly. Unless that was all a dog and pony show then they should have local sources that could help you for poo poo like this.

303-440-7306 Or 303-440-7306

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
CG now gets CRSC

http://www.uscg.mil/psd/de/crsc.asp

Melthir fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 13, 2017

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Ok, I called the attorney and he told me now I have to request a formal board and maybe fight the Navy in court for my retirement, and that reconsideration by the medboard may or may not get me anywhere, but that my attorney for the formal board is provided by the Navy. Vet Center in my city was only able to recommend some law offices down in Denver

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
So, I have this buddy from High School who enlisted in the Marines as soon as he graduated, whereas I went into the Navy a few years later with some other people.

So he goes in as some artsy fartsy weirdo greek, and after 4+ years as a Marine TOW Gunner, pops out as this libertarian/AnCap internet troll. Whatever. Marines are dumb. Anyway, he uses the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, and flunks out of college in Graphic Design or Marketing or something stupid like that. He's currently working for his brother, who went to Culinary School rather than enlist and now works as a Chef in a restaurant that isn't a TGI Fridays. His brother pays back his $30,000 student loans at a rate of $100/month until he dies or whatever.

Meanwhile, veteran marine tow gunner AnCap dude owes $17,000 for his attempt at college (which has only solidified his stance that education is a sham) and the Post 9/11 wants that money back double time and is charging him $800/month to pay it back. Is there some way to help this poor rear end in a top hat financially to lower his payments? It's so fuckin' rare that a veteran fails out of the first year of college when everything is paid for and all you have to do is not stare at Yoga Butts for too long to pass some stupid poo poo class that I couldn't actually remember reading anything before that could ease the financial burden of reimbursement (the fact that you have to pay back the Post 9/11 blew my mind initially).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Since when do you have to pay back post 9-11? I could have sworn I flunked a couple classes and they still paid for the classes and the living stipend. Since it was community college I didn't pay a dime.

Maybe if you like, don't show up at all?

Edit: Like, someone let me know, because I was planning to get around to half-assing the rest of college for the living stipend at some point.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 14, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If you fail a class your professor needs to certify that you at least attended. To avoid having to repay your education benefit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Elsa posted:

If you fail a class your professor needs to certify that you at least attended. To avoid having to repay your education benefit.

Ah, never knew that. I guess that's why I take the bare minimum on-campus to get the living stipend and do the rest online.

Vriess posted:

Meanwhile, veteran marine tow gunner AnCap dude owes $17,000 for his attempt at college (which has only solidified his stance that education is a sham) and the Post 9/11 wants that money back double time and is charging him $800/month to pay it back.

OK, so now it's sounding like your homeboy didn't even show up or anything. If he did show, maybe he should do like Elsa says above and get professors to certify that he's an idiot and not just absentee. The military isn't supposed to punish you for being an idiot. If he intentionally didn't even pretend to go then yeah I'm not surprised they want the money back, you have to play along at least. My community college had a full time vet benefits adminstrator on-site, maybe he could find someone like that and ask for the payments to be lowered due to financial hardship. Assuming he does have some sort of financial hardship?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
There has to be a way to appeal the repayment. People don't set out to fail, but we aren't the most stable people. Maybe the issues were a result of psych conditions and there's a compassion case to make here. I was sleeping in my car for a few weeks at one point so I know it can be overwhelming just to show up.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, he should have sent in a thing that basically states "I can't pay this back, because doing so would cause __________." I am going to have to do this in the next week because the VA thinks I was overpaid, and now just this week I found out that the school hosed it up further, so I've gotta jump down their throats before they make it worse. :toot:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Has anyone here had luck getting the VA to pay for a private therapist?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Veterans Choice, maybe? I don't see why they wouldn't now that they seem to be much more open to paying for stuff outside their system anyway. It's worth a shot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

Has anyone here had luck getting the VA to pay for a private therapist?

Well, it depends. If you're more than 40 miles away from any clinic, then it's simple as just asking your primary care doc to refer you to choice for it. If you're within 40 miles, your doctor could also schedule you for an appointment more than 30 days out to trigger choice eligibility as well. They aren't required to do that, though, and may not. Your doc might be cool and roll with it, though.

Beyond triggering choice in some way (40 miles to any clinic or more than 30 days) the only non-VA service you can get covered easily is emergency room coverage.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Outside of veterans choice and emergency care I've found that the therapists at vet centers are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I had a psychiatrist refuse to refill my prescriptions after changing facilities.