Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

It definitely feels slow. I know telling friends that "It gets really good at around episode 50" is a tough sell, but there's a lot to love in those early episodes too.

There's a ton of world building and character building that pays off huge later on. The slow build makes the great stuff greater when you get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They really enjoy getting that duck wasted. They probably haven't seen season 2 of The Wire.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

lowercase16 posted:

It definitely feels slow. I know telling friends that "It gets really good at around episode 50" is a tough sell, but there's a lot to love in those early episodes too.

There's a ton of world building and character building that pays off huge later on. The slow build makes the great stuff greater when you get to it.

Sometimes I go back and watch clips from earlier episodes and remember how good some of those characters are. I love the little quirks and personality Oda gives every character.
Also I agree, Oda does a really good job of using that slow build up to really make you excited for when Luffy finally downs the big villain at the end of an arc.

I think my favorite part of One Piece is that it feels like it's a world that's lived in. People are moving around, doing things. They have pasts and goals, and those have consequences.
It's not just the main character shaping the entire world, being the only active player in the events of their world, many characters feel important. And there's not just one thing happening at any time, but multiple things.

Now if only it weren't so bogged down with filling out the episodes with so much padding (and also the occasional sexism/homophobia)...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 16, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

lowercase16 posted:

50?! Try 200. I only got hooked on it after the Robin/Water 7 arc. That arc had some amazing moments, the crew facing off against CP, Gear 2, Sogeking and then Usopp.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Suspicious Lump posted:

50?! Try 200. I only got hooked on it after the Robin/Water 7 arc. That arc had some amazing moments, the crew facing off against CP, Gear 2, Sogeking and then Usopp.

Water 7/Enies Lobby is still probably my favorite arc, but Arlong Park is where the show hits some big emotional moments for the first time. This arc showcases how strong the characters and plot actually are. Plus asking people to watch 200 episodes before judging something is... excessive.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

RasperFat posted:

Water 7/Enies Lobby is still probably my favorite arc, but Arlong Park is where the show hits some big emotional moments for the first time. This arc showcases how strong the characters and plot actually are. Plus asking people to watch 200 episodes before judging something is... excessive.
200 eps is my personal opinion of when the show got good and I got addicted. Before this arc, it was ok imo. I agree that 50 is a good amount to judge the show on but 200 is when the show goes up and up

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Suspicious Lump posted:

200 eps is my personal opinion of when the show got good and I got addicted. Before this arc, it was ok imo. I agree that 50 is a good amount to judge the show on but 200 is when the show goes up and up

Yeah Nami's "help me" scene feels like a less powerful precursor to Robin's "help me" scene.

The continuous high quality is amazing compared to other long running series. Despite watching all of Naruto minus the last few months, the quality was all over the place, and severely crippled by the filler pacing. I don't know who thought throwing in two filler arcs during the climactic was doing some serious cash grabs instead of caring about the story. Collectively it felt like they lasted for close to a full year, when then source material was already done.

Bleach started to fall off the rails after Ichigo went to Soul Society, like only the second arc. It was silly for very large parts. I stopped watching after Ichigo beats Aizen. He was god-level powerful, kicking his rear end all over the place. But decided to use his final life/power ending move for seemingly no reason. .

Hunter x Hunter is the only longer show that was as excellent, and I might even say better. But it is nowhere near as long. They also didn't need to adapt the pacing to premiere an episode basically every week for 20 years straight, so didn't it need padding and covered much more in each episode.

Despite the glacial pace of things actually happening, One Piece still remains magical every week. I hope when One Piece ends they actually start over from the beginning with fresh animation, and streamline the whole story. You could probably cut then number of episodes in half easily. It's probably a pipe dream, but then again it's insanely popular so if they can keep the money train rolling for an extra 6-7 years I'm sure they will.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just cried a bit on 86.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

eatenmyeyes posted:

I just cried a bit on 86.

Chopper's backstory is way more tragic than everyone else's.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Chopper's backstory is way more tragic than everyone else's.

For now at least.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So, was the Gold film being shown in London at all? Did some googling with no luck.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Brooks story is pretty hosed up but the plot never dwells on it so the impact isn't felt as much as it should be.

He was stuck on a ship by himself with all his dead friends bodies for like 50 years, just waiting to die by sinking in the ocean while his boat drifted freely. Eventually he ends up on thriller bark and then has his shadow stolen and is stuck in a fog bank he can't leave.

The fact that he's only slightly crazy is miraculous.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Robin's is probably the worst but for the dude catching up she's still a baddy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Everyone's backstory when presented is the worst. Just wait, every time you learn about the history of the world of One Piece you will be saddened and horrified.

Zoro: My buddy died when we were kids.

Usopp: My father abandoned us and then my mom died waiting for him to return.

Sanji: I'm some manner of orphan who was shipwrecked as a young boy on a deserted island with a pirate. We literally nearly starved to death.

Nami: My adoptive mother who found me on a battlefield died because she couldn't pay the ransom money a giant monster man demanded. Then the monster man forced me to join his crew.

Chopper: I was shunned as a fawn due to having a blue nose. Then I accidentally ate a Devil Fruit and was driven from my herd. Alone, I tried to contact humans but was driven off and treated as a monster. Finally I was adopted by a kooky but kind doctor, who I accidentally poisoned and then watched him blow himself up so that I wouldn't be the cause of his death.

Of course as of right now, Trafalgar D. Law has the backstory so dark that it's going to be tough to top for anyone.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Robin's is probably the worst but for the dude catching up she's still a baddy

Shes in the OP as a main character/friend for like a billion episodes.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
That moment when the crew faces of with CP9 and they burn the world government flag was epic. It shows the dedication they all had for their team mates. Up until that point Robin was kind of an outsider, randomly joining the crew when she was an enemy before. She goes willingly because she doesn't want these people who were good to her to get hurt but they don't give up. Really great moment that sticks out in my mind!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

That moment when the crew faces of with CP9 and they burn the world government flag was epic. It shows the dedication they all had for their team mates. Up until that point Robin was kind of an outsider, randomly joining the crew when she was an enemy before. She goes willingly because she doesn't want these people who were good to her to get hurt but they don't give up. Really great moment that sticks out in my mind!

Robin's story is really one of my favorite parts of One Piece. Especially since you also have Aokiji and Saul tied into it.

That said, I thought the animation did a terrible job presenting her cries to live. They all jump off a bridge and then it cuts to recap episodes - that's fine, but then every episode has her yell it again and again and it lost its impact for me. I wish I could spoiler in a spoiler, but it reminds me a certain JRPG where the boss after the tragic scene is purposefully weak so that the player only experiences the scene once for maximum impact. I really wish they had chosen a better point to do the recaps, or not started every episode with her crying out again and again. It kind of ruined it for me I think, though I do still like the scene now.

Enies Lobby had some of the best fights though (Zoro vs Kaku might be my favorite in the series). And Luffy vs Lucci was how I was introduced to the series, though I had no idea what was going on at the time. It's crazy to think how long ago that was...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 18, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone else have a single favorite episode? I watched from the beginning up til around the middle of Punk Hazard and mine is still #151. I won't spoil the content but that was the coolest, hypest poo poo ever when I first saw it and for some reason it remains my top, even though there are plenty of other arguably cooler or more emotional ones before and after it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
There's just too many, oh god.

Usopp having a mental break down and reverting to SogeKing when he was fighting the ghost lady. His mind snaps and all he can do is pray Sogeking comes to save him. Imagine that from the view point of ghost lady. Terrifying.
Zoro's awesome moment immortalised in a smilie: :zoro:
Crew face off to CP9 + flag burning.
Zoro plan when vs Pica.
Sogeking sniping people from kms away on Enis Lobby
Blackbeard giving whitebeard a gobbie to steal his powers. massive :aaa: moment
Luffys Gear 3!
The moment Robin realises she finally found friends who won't sell her out :(
Zoro vs Ryuma. Especially knowing his backstory.

I just realised you asked for an episode. Oops! Still great moments

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One Piece rocked from episode 1 for me, I'm glad people who thought it was ok stuck it out though. The early stuff, the Arlong arc, such great great stuff. I do agree the show hit another level with Water 7/Enies Lobby, or I should say surprised me and it was great to see it evolving. But I think it was great from the get-go myself.

I only watch the anime marathon style, so I check in every couple years for a 100 episode marathon, for me it still rocks. (been marathoning it again recently.) Though I agree a faster pace would be nice, overall I feel the anime adds a lot to it, for me. The voice acting, the direction, the "DON!" of it all, I dig it.

For example that bit in the Fishman arc where the episode ends on Nami learning about a certain connection to Arlong with Jinbe. Really hit me, that did some strong stuff with the direction of that sequence, compared to the brief straightforward take from the manga.

For favorite episode or moment, that bit at the end of Thriller Bark with Zoro and Kuma is the peak of mindblowing epicness. (as mentioned above with a DON!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 20, 2017

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm calling it now (new episode spoiler): The elephant is one of the ancient weapons.

I'd have to go through the whole thing again to see which is my favorite episode, especially since it all blurs together and I forget how good some of the earlier stuff is sometimes or what happens. The other problem is that usually good things span multiple episodes or are just a moment within one episode. I don't think I'd be able to pick a favorite though, honestly.
I might go with the Zoro vs Kaku fight though. It's funny, it's got good action, good ending, romance?, Zoro's in it, it's really got everything good.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Raftel is the last island which the logipose points to. But their journey was leads beyond that supposedly. Is the dog talking metaphorically or am I missing something? i.e their real journey is finding the 4 red stones and figuring out secrets and stuff.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think he means that if you follow the Grand Line all the way to its end, you just end up at some other island (which is where you would normally find out that you need the four road poneglyphs to get to Raftel). But by saving the people of Zou, the Strawhats have skipped that step and can go straight to collecting the road poneglyphs.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

Raftel is the last island which the logipose points to. But their journey was leads beyond that supposedly. Is the dog talking metaphorically or am I missing something? i.e their real journey is finding the 4 red stones and figuring out secrets and stuff.

What he meant was that following the log pose to its natural course led you to an island where the secret of the poneglyphs and the existence of the road poneglyphs. The Strawhats already knew about poneglyphs and they found a road poneglyph before reaching that point, so there was no need for them to make the full journey.

Basically what happens now is what happened with Roger, they revise their course to find all the road poneglyphs and find Raftel which is marked between the four of them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think he means that if you follow the Grand Line all the way to its end, you just end up at some other island (which is where you would normally find out that you need the four road poneglyphs to get to Raftel). But by saving the people of Zou, the Strawhats have skipped that step and can go straight to collecting the road poneglyphs.

Asuron posted:

What he meant was that following the log pose to its natural course led you to an island where the secret of the poneglyphs and the existence of the road poneglyphs. The Strawhats already knew about poneglyphs and they found a road poneglyph before reaching that point, so there was no need for them to make the full journey.

Basically what happens now is what happened with Roger, they revise their course to find all the road poneglyphs and find Raftel which is marked between the four of them.

Thanks, I also found that part very confusing. Though I think he mentions that Gol had to start all the way from the beginning though, not just revise his course. I'm kind of hoping they do eventually get to that island though, I want to know what's there.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Should I skip the filler? I'm on 131.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Most people seem to really like the post Skypiea arc at a Marine base, but you're good skipping all the filler.

The only filler I feel like it's worth watching are the tie ins for Strong World and Film Z.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Zunesha: "Hurry! It's so painful!"
Me watching this episode: "Hurry! It's so painful [to have to sit through this]!"

These last 2 or 3 episodes would have been so much better as just 1. Almost nothing happened except a lot of yelling and waiting around for the obvious conclusion.
I think the episodes would have worked so much better if we didn't already know Jack was the one attacking from the beginning. If they had revealed that only after Momo himself and the others realized it, I think even padded as they were, maybe the episodes would have been enjoyable. We could have had at least some way of experiences everyone's apparent confusion as to what was happening. Instead you already know it's the elephant's voice and you're forced to sit through an hour of Momo and Luffy yelling about not knowing what to do as they are being told exactly what to do by the loudest voice they've ever heard.

Also, I worried that they were just going to leave the poor elephant with all that damage. I'm glad the next episode will apparently address this, though it seems like it will be the entire episode.

Also, very curious about the elephant's past, but I have a feeling neither Luffy nor Momo will follow up on this and it'll be a very long time before we get an explanation.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 29, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Thanks, I also found that part very confusing. Though I think he mentions that Gol had to start all the way from the beginning though, not just revise his course. I'm kind of hoping they do eventually get to that island though, I want to know what's there.
Thanks^2. It must be me but I'm finding the translations for the last few episodes really confusing.

Agreed the last few episodes were really weak and could have done with better arrangement. But Jack the Elephant getting smashed by an elephant was great.

I doubt we're going to get any explanation about the Zunesha. Did we get anything about the weird huge monster that was hinted at right after Thriller Bark?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

I doubt we're going to get any explanation about the Zunesha. Did we get anything about the weird huge monster that was hinted at right after Thriller Bark?

Wait, I forgot about this, what huge monster?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Shadow0 posted:

Wait, I forgot about this, what huge monster?

The monsters that kill crews in the Florian Triangle. They weren't Moria as he needs the crews to stay alive after he takes their shadows, and it's been going on longer than Moria has been sailing Thriller Bark in the Triangle. We get to see their silhouettes as the Straw Hats leave the fog after the arc.

Edit: These things.

Raposa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 31, 2017

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That very last second of the next episode preview: :stare::stare::stare: <- my actual face irl

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just watched 247.

This is the closest parallel that readily comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkOc-B64dY

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I'm REALLY digging the Funimation dub and going along with it. Is the anime worth watching all the way through, or does it turn to poo poo at a certain point?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The pacing starts to get fairly bad throughout the water 7/Enis Lobby Arc, bit the content is still good. By the End of Thriller Bark, you're better off just switching to the Manga in all honesty, because Toei Animation stops giving a crap, so besides everything being dragged out to hell in the most boring way possible (repeating jokes or stetching them out so long it's no longer funny, fights that are supposed to be quick get dragged out so much it makes the heroes look much weaker than they are), the animation quality takes a huge nosedive, and you'll get a million years of repeated animation of people running . Not to mention whenever they do try to add content, the usual screw it up, like putting in a filler flashback of a later villain that directly contradicts his actual backstory and ruins the central theme of said arc :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I'm REALLY digging the Funimation dub and going along with it. Is the anime worth watching all the way through, or does it turn to poo poo at a certain point?

As someone who did the same, just stop after Water 7 and go YouTube every good scene from the manga, because it's a pretty gradual descent to Garbo-land from there. Also google the cover story arcs or something; they're little side-stories that the anime hardly bothered with that explains some stuff like Django and Fullbody's bromance.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldTennisCourt posted:

It falls off in stages.
  • You can watch all the way through Water 7 with no issues.

• Enis Lobby: You run into clear issues due to the anime catching up with the manga, so you get several episodes of flashbacks and filler literally mid jump, but after that jump the rest of the arc is fine.

• Thriller Bark: Starts to pad things out, but it's generally not a problem and most people have no serious complaints about the arc's adaptation.

• Sabaody Archipelago: The seams are really noticeable, but tolerable. I think this is the first arc they use some of the fluid motion animation style that some people hate. This arc does contain one of the last and best moments where even if you read the manga you gotta see it animated.

• Amazon Lilly: Another step down and where a whole lot of people get real annoyed with the anime. Tolerable, and the majority of people keep on trucking through the anime still.

• Impel Down: Another step down, but if you weren't put off by Amazon Lilly you're probably going to stick around through this arc. The quality of the arc's story really does the heavy lifting.

• Marineford: The final straw for the majority of people who drop the anime. Anime only viewers may believe the island of Marineford to be at least the size of Greece due to the marathon of running added in for padding. Also repetitive name yelling and the introduction of the trend of passing by obvious points where filler would be fine within the story itself(side fights, extended fights, etc) for dumb padding that is obvious and bad. Gotta get them reaction shots long enough for Helen Keller to grasp them.

• 3D2Y through Fishman Island: Half a step from the final quality drop. Introduction of some fan loved side characters and a couple cool things. Also the introduction of Toei straight up giving negative fucks as the anime frequently misses the whole drat point. Changing things to make them appear more challenging or adding things in that completely change the motivation of characters in a frustratingly detrimental way.

• Punk Hazard and beyond: If you're still watching, Toei knows you're going to keep watching, so gently caress it. Gonna do the bare minimum because gently caress you, you'll keep watching anyway. Full blown missing the point and not giving a poo poo. If you're still anime only at this point you are just burning through accumulated bad karma, but good on you. Toei finds a way to turn the boss battle in Punk Hazard into a loving beam battle despite neither of the people involved having anything approaching beam powers. Adherence to the manga is just a hair above secondary to padding this poo poo out. Most people just check in to see cool moments hopefully not get ruined by the animation team.

• Movie Tie In Arcs: I generally like them, some people don't. Probably depends most on how you like the movie they tie into. Do yourself a favor and watch the Film Z tie in for a Mini-Mini Devil Fruit eating giant and Alpacacino, a bazzoka that ate the Alpaca Devil Fruit.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I know the anime tends to take extreme liberties with how off model they'll draw Nami and Robin but sheesh

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

i stopped watching at the start of the sky island arc, but not because it's bad, just because reading the manga is way faster and I wanted to see the rest of it as fast as possible. i did check back in water 7 so i could hear the voices of some new characters but for me at that point it seemed way too slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, turns out the part of the preview I was interested in was actually the preview for the episode after it, which now reveals itself to be mostly a recap episode. I was wondering how Vivi fit into the story, it seemed like she was going to suddenly appear near the Strawhats or maybe Sanji, but I guess she's still in her home country. Oh well, it'll be nice to see her back in the story, if only if it's a small role.

Fawf posted:

I know the anime tends to take extreme liberties with how off model they'll draw Nami and Robin but sheesh

Actually every female.

Also:

(And it looks like Nami and Ussop have already hatched a plan to cover the construction costs.)

The more I think about it the more I think it would have made more sense if Nami were the one inventing these things. Especially since she gained all this weather knowledge from her 2 years. Instead, apparently she taught it to Ussop, who then actually implemented it. I know Ussop is kind of the Batman of the group, but Nami is the one that actually knows the weather stuff and seems to be the only one that can use the baton. Without Ussop, Nami would be nearly completely defenseless.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 12, 2017