Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Not all that impressed with the upload speeds tonight but I'll manage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

D_Smart posted:

They're nuts. That aside from the fact that it's all bullshit.

If there isn't galaxy wide Brownian motion ingame then I'm demanding my money back (zero bucks).
I want to fart on a hornet and have it travel out the airlock and onto another ship.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wifi speeds are mostly symmetrical

Then it's Comcast's fault, not surprising.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kavak posted:

What did you do to get an upload speed like that? Or is my ~6 MB/S a wifi thing?

I waited until they started actually enforcing upload speeds as diligently as they do download speeds. I used to get this. :D

(For the Swedish-challenged: “ta emot” = receive; “skicka” = send.)

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 11, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Well, pick another game that models what we're discussing then. What's stopping you, exactly?

Dwarf Fortress. (Probably)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not all that impressed with the upload speeds tonight but I'll manage

With those pings you would own Star Marine.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
It's brilliant: there are so many Star Citizens now going through the 5 stages of grief about 3.0 and Sq42.

Reading their comments/posts is hilarious fun.

Thank you /r/StarCitizen and /r/DerekSmart.

:gary:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Dwarf Fortress. (Probably)

Nah, Toady might be borderline insane but he understand people dont have supercomputers to run DF. Once you take into account weather, temperature and fluid dynamics for both water and magma across the map x,y and Z axis there is not that much cpu left for other simulations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

aleksendr posted:

Nah, Toady might be borderline insane but he understand people dont have supercomputers to run DF. Once you take into account weather, temperature and fluid dynamics for both water and magma across the map x,y and Z axis there is not that much cpu left for other simulations.

Minecraft, then?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Literally any game where you can dive underwater?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tarquinn posted:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

If you could download the client before a new version was out you would own star marine with that ping.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

D_Smart posted:

Well, pick another game that models what we're discussing then. What's stopping you, exactly?

Derek what's your favourite old game? (1990 - 2000) and favourite modern game?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:kiddo:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jim made 2 posts in a row without talking about Derek's penis. Is that a record?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Never forget

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They have a hate Reddit against an autistic person.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Jim made 2 posts in a row without talking about Derek's penis. Is that a record?

You read his posts

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

aleksendr posted:

Can't you cause a creature to suffocate in Dwarf Fortress by puncturing its lungs?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Oh no someone on reddit hates "me" :cry:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Looks like we've got some fresh leavers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830130794962223104
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830435578420350979
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830436602065350656

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Persistence - the constant need to sell jpegs.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Quavers posted:

It's brilliant: there are so many Star Citizens now going through the 5 stages of grief about 3.0 and Sq42.

Reading their comments/posts is hilarious fun.

Thank you /r/StarCitizen and /r/DerekSmart.

:gary:

Please link some good examples for the thread. Reading reddit isn't my idea of fun.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This is a good example.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Post your speedtest.net speeds

Yay Australia

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

as well as doing some R+D with our animation programmers for a more advanced version of foot anchoring that adapts leg IK and ground alignment based on whether characters are on their heels or on the balls of their feet.

I hope a lack of the realistically simulated oxygen/stamina doesn't cause my realistically simulated feet to slip and injur my character. Is there insurance for this?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
an absolute horror of a human being

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Please link some good examples for the thread. Reading reddit isn't my idea of fun.

Here's a good start, and about half of the comments in the thread:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Grievously disabled babies are aborted? Sound the alarms. Lots of countries also have laws where young babies can be dumped at firestations and hospitals, and they'll be assumed by the state, so that ill-equipped parents don't end up tossing them in dumpsters. But social programs are bad!

The SC crowd seems extraordinarily right wing, at least among their most vocal posters. The GamerGate subreddits get undeservably painted as right-wing, but they are positively leftist compared to what I see come out from a lot of the main SC posters.

The dedicated SC posters are hardcore right-wing maniacs.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

e: grief catte

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

MilesK posted:

I hope a lack of the realistically simulated oxygen/stamina doesn't cause my realistically simulated feet to slip and injur my character. Is there insurance for this?

Oddly enough, some insurance salesman commando made a big long briefing paper specifically for the purpose of outlining the various ways insurance *might* work in the 'verse. :)

With all the dreams that go on in the build up to the mvp verse, all the wild speculation, and the anticipation of an infinitely deep interactive movie, he chose to imagine it as dull and dreary as his day job. I'm pretty sure not only are his parents dissapointed in him, but I'm quite sure his handler/carer is also feeling grief.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

They're nuts. That aside from the fact that it's all bullshit.

In LoD, right now, there is an oxygen meter that's monitored if you go under water. When you run out while under, you die. If you come up, it refills. Just like what happens if your jetpack runs out of energy; you fall to the ground.

And I have modeled oxygen in all my previous BC/UC games for the same reason, and it uses the same method. It works, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel or chase bullshit fidelity.

I liked the bit in Sonic the Hedgehog where when you went underwater they modelled the oxygen in the hedgehog's bloodstream and if you didn't resurface or find an air bubble to replenish his oxygen levels the music sped up, this signified you were about to die.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Post your speedtest.net speeds

lol rural American life edit: also I am a rebel

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AtV presents: lying cunts with too much cleavage.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Quavers posted:

e: grief catte

Of course it will all be complete very soon, it's waiting for *insert this seasons techy sounding yet completely inaccurate buzzword here* to be implemented and then it'll be off for a final *refactor x3* before a period of testing/CIG forgetting the feature and then all of us commandos will definitely have it all very soon, even as soon as five years from now maybe, so as soon as *insert totally unconnected new buzzword* is done they can then finalize *insert original buzzword* and then it'll all work flawlessly without any reworking of the whole thing at least twice before they forget and CR gets angry when asked "where did *insert random feature* go? it should have been weeks not years" and states that you've had it all along but they need to start working on it soon, so you see the whole game is already finished and you've been playing it since birth only the mindwiping hasn't worked and you've forgotten you are a stimlord and need to have your eternator tweaked to press harder on your pain points.

And furthermore.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Here's a good start, and about half of the comments in the thread:

All CIG has to do is exactly what they did in 2016- release a demo video around that time called 3.0 or 3.1 or whatever, and declare that it will be out for public consumption in a couple of weeks. It's a pretty well established play by now and it continues to throw just enough red meat to the superfans that they stay on board. None of them have really clued in to the part where the demo'd videos- Idris walkthrough, procedural planets, sand worm, new Crusader missions and ground combat, grabby hands, procedural damage, etc etc- never amount to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

AtV presents: lying cunts with too much cleavage.

the 80s and 70s left a while ago. Also that lesbian next to sandi has terrible taste in clothes.