Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They left their secret base without even disarming the anti-proton bomb! That's terrible portentous secret base etiquette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

That is true yeah. Okay I think I get the gag now.

I'm not quite sure of the conclusions you draw, though they make sense and I'll have to wait until Watase and the BC Police show up and give some hints to their pursuit of Natsuhiko (beyond "you're getting too close") before I can post my own conclusions.

One thing I will speculate about is Salyu. In the flashback I mentioned before, the girl looked clearly like her, yet she is here. It is also abundantly clear the whole 'french prodigy' thing is fishy. If, as I speculate, the girl was Salyu then it seems to be the case that whatever treatment was used on her worked and yet was not used again. Perhaps, while the side effects of the 'monstrous' BC cannot be allowed, the BC itself is powerful enough that there is a desire to use it, and the treatment was abandoned due to Salyu's evident loss of ability. Her lack of empathy and seeming difficulty to express emotion would also be side effects, albeit more palatable ones to those in control. This does not explain where she learned Sannomiya Style Savate though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh poo poo I just realized something, these flashbacks happened when Watase was looking in the mirror that time:

The first one is very clearly Watase's memory, but the second one happened in Route: Before, right before Mashiro overheard the Terrorist on the bus.

The third and fourth haven't happened yet, but considering it shows Natsuhiko's sprite, it's gotta be Watase. As much as I like the "Watase is a BC Cop" theory, that's some pretty heavy evidence that he's the bus terrorist. :tinfoil:

Also we haven't seen the brown haired lady in the last flashback yet, which was the original reason I was poking through that update.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
You've come across what SS put in his spoilered post sometime last page, I do believe Watase is the terrorist. I also believe he is a member of the BC police (at least until they discover his treachery). The reason I believe Watase has some affiliation with the BC authorities is because of the flashbacks he had during 'Testing'. Keep the Seven Legends in mind as you look over them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OddHaberdasher posted:

You've come across what SS put in his spoilered post sometime last page, I do believe Watase is the terrorist. I also believe he is a member of the BC police (at least until they discover his treachery). The reason I believe Watase has some affiliation with the BC authorities is because of the flashbacks he had during 'Testing'. Keep the Seven Legends in mind as you look over them.

Whoops, missed that bit :saddowns:

Also yeah, after thinking about it more, him being the bus terrorist and him being a BC cop aren't mutually exclusive. It would also explain the kids' whole thing about being wary of Watase because of what he did before, if he does end up ambushing the kids in the shed like that flashback shows.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ENA TSUBAKIYAMA'S HEART: 09/15/2030, 09:34

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

The gate was open even though it was a Sunday. Perhaps to let in teachers looking to get work done on the day off, or to allow students to use the facilities for club activities.

Mr. Driver, please go to the staff entrance at the rear.
Driver: Gladly~

The driver moved the car in accordance with Natsuhiko's directions. And then the kids got off the taxi at the staff entrance.

Mr. Driver, please wait here. We'll be back later.
Driver: Well, you -are- renting for the day. Of course I'll wait.

And with that voice at their backs, they entered the school. It was the same familiar school they attended, but they made sure to be as cautious as thieves.

Let's find Ena quick and--
Hold up, Salyu.

Natsuhiko quickly stopped Salyu.

What's wrong?
Listen carefully. I can hear something from over there.

Natsuhiko pointed to the corner of the ceiling as he spoke. And there--

There's a camera inside here too...!?
The school's furnished with surveillance cameras to prevent intrusion by suspicious characters.

Natsuhiko normally paid them no heed. Because if he let their presence get to him every day, he'd never be able to stay calm.

...Then we can't go to the staff room.
Yeah, but if we can find a dead spot--

As Natsuhiko began to speak, Mashiro placed a finger to her temple.

Hold on, guys, I'm contacting Ms. Ena through telepathy. 'Ms. Ena, this is an emergency. It's me, Mashiro Toba. If you're at school, please come to the staff entrance.' It's more reliable to do this than to try moving around.
I see...! So let's wait here, then.

And thus, they waited for a while after Mashiro sent her telepathy-- --and eventually, Ena appeared.

Ah, Ms. Ena! I'm so glad you're here~...!
What's happened with you three? You come here on a Sunday with an emergency?
It's a long story... Can we talk about it somewhere without surveillance cameras?

Ena watched Natsuhiko's tense entreaty with a serious look on her face.

...Sounds like a desperate situation, huh. The BC room's right over there. It doesn't have any surveillance cameras. We can talk in there.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Ena stood at her podium as usual and spoke up.

--Now, let's hear it. You three have been acting strange since yesterday. What on earth happened?
I don't know if you'll believe us, but... we've been dragged into a bizarre incident.
We wanted some advice, so we looked for you, Ms. Ena.
Incident? Advice? What might this all be about?
Well, I guess we should start from the beginning...

Natsuhiko retold the story of what happened since yesterday. What happened on the bus, the possibility of Q being in the city, and the reason the security department was chasing them. Though he did leave out the part about Mashiro using empathy. Once the story was done-- Ena muttered.

...I see, so that's what happened...
Ms. Ena, you believe us!?
Yes. You are my students, so I believe what you say. And I believe you kids acted in accordance with a pure sense of justice.

The kids were about to sigh in relief, but what Ena said next stopped them in their tracks.

...But for that very reason, I don't think you should involve yourselves in this incident any further.
No way...! Why not!?
As a teacher, there's no way I can approve of students putting themselves in danger, can I? Q is just that dangerous an organization.
Professor, you know about Q?
Of course I do. I am a teacher at Rokumei Academy, you know.

Apparently Mashiro and the trainer were right. It did appear to be an infamous organization. However--

So why are you being so...?

As Mashiro trailed off on her words, Ena spoke with an exasperated smile on her face.

...Right. If I want you kids to understand where I'm coming from... it looks like a special lesson is in order. It's not something I teach in normal lectures, but I do believe it's something you three should know.
A special lesson?

Ena nodded and quietly began to speak.

--The truth is that BC and terrorism share an inseparable relationship. While I was studying parapsychology in college, I naturally learned the true history of BC. Society underwent many changes after the emergence of Communicators... It's a history steeped in danger and extreme instability.
A history steeped in danger...?
As you know, sixteen years ago was a turning point with the explosive increase in the number of Communicators worldwide, correct? But do you think society at the time just simply accepted it?
You mean... it didn't?
Yeah. I thought Communicators only had low ability levels back then. They knew that some people could use a bit of telepathy and that was it...
The espers probably didn't think it was that big a deal. But not everyone else believed that, necessarily.

Ena frowned as she spoke.

At first, only a small minority of people displayed intense rejection of Communicators. There was an incident in France in February 2014. Men obsessed with some delusion set fire to a village a Communicator lived in.
Fire...!?
That's terrible! Why!?
According to the arsonists, it was 'because Communicators are abominations possessed by impure spirits.'
Impure spirits? What's that supposed to mean?
Apparently there's this story in the Bible. --By the shore of the Sea of Galilee, there was a man possessed by impure spirits. He dwelled by the tombs and would often hear the spirits' voice and suffer. When asked for his name, the man replied, 'My name is Legion. For we are many.' The impure spirits were eventually exorcised from the man's body and instead they entered a nearby herd of pigs. Upon which, the pigs began to run like mad and fell into the lake one by one, where they drowned...
...That's quite an ominous story. What's up with that?
I don't know. The significance behind that story has always been a subject of discussion among religious scholars, apparently. But this is what the arsonists thought: 'Communicators hear voices that we do not. Those are the voices of impure spirits. They are abominations possessed by impure spirits. And therefore, they must be punished by God.'
No way...!
...That's crazy.
Indeed. I think so too. Of course, those arsonists were punished and fortunately, there were no casualties. Thus the incident was soon forgotten. But in retrospect, that was the beginning. The start of the antagonism between Communicators and ordinary people.

Ena's expression remained unchanged. But her voice gradually grew more stern.

Communicators were targeted by normal people for the sole fact that they were Communicators-- and those incidents only increased in frequency afterwards. In April that same year, a young American Communicator was lynched in Brooklyn. The following month, an entire apartment building was burned to the ground in China. In June, it was Germany. In July, Italy and America. In August, it was Germany, France, and Austria. In September, it was Russia, France, America, and China... I had my hands full just counting all of the similar incidents. Did you know it's happened in this very town too? The 'Great Rokumei City Arson'...
I-I know about that!
Yes, you're a good learner, Ms. Toba. It's not a very well talked about incident nowadays.

Ena spoke with a smile. But it was a smile tinged with sadness.

...These problems never happened back when Communicators were extremely few in number and BC was dismissed as the occult. I do believe there were Communicators before that, but at best, the options available to them were to become leaders of new age religions, to work as TV talents-- Or to hide their abilities as most of them did, and live in secret. But as Communicators started appearing more and more and their numbers rapidly grew, the situation instantly intensified. It was as if all of the sudden a new breed of humans was born, and many people feared the demise of the old human race. It would've been fine if BC were something you could just learn if you put in the effort, but since BC aptitude is genetic and decided upon birth, well...

Ena trailed off at that, allowing silence to fill the classroom. Even though the room temperature wasn't that cold, Natsuhiko felt his spine chill. A strange fear sank into his heart. Ena continued.

...That antagonism eventually turned into fear. And that fear gave birth to terrorism. Terrorism is derived from the Latin word 'terror', after all. People resort to terrorism either when they fear others or when they want others to fear them. It's a sad, but inevitable course of events.
I... I don't believe it...
But aren't we at peace now...!?
It took an extraordinary international effort to build that peace. And of course, Japan was part of that effort. Two years after the Great Rokumei City Arson, the 'BC Law' was enacted to protect Communicators. And at the same time, six cities in Japan were established as 'government designated top secret cities', protective wards for Communicators, beginning here with Rokumei City. Communicators throughout the country were moved into these government designated top secret cities.
They were moved...? You mean they had no choice?
No, it was at its core, voluntary. But Communicators living in the countryside received insistent advice from the government to move. Of course, the government reimbursed the full amount to move and even provided anything from occupation and housing referrals to large reserve funds on a case by case basis.
Why would the government go that far?
To preserve public order. Nothing more. They wanted to defuse the antagonism between Communicators and ordinary people. The urgent matter at hand was to establish the idea that 'Communicators all live in government designated top secret cities' as common sense. By segregating the Communicators, the ordinary people would be able to rest peacefully. The migration went over smoothly, and friction was minimized. And so, with all its Communicators gathered in one spot, Japan was able to get its BC research organized for undisturbed progression, and thus became an advanced BC nation. ...So basically, this town isn't merely a research city. It's a national fortress established by the state to protect Communicators like you.
...!

When he heard the story to its end, Natsuhiko finally understood the truth behind this town. Why this town had such strong public order. Why the city was so vigilant against criminal activity, to the point of installing surveillance cameras and city gates. He heard that it was all to protect the local research facilities from industrial espionage, but--

(Were they actually trying to protect the Communicators...? No, ''the public order of society'' itself?)

Ena continued as the kids were left speechless.

...But the more society's systems strengthened, the more crafty the terrorists became. And Q was the most crafty and vindictive organization of them all. You may know this already, but they have successfully carried out terrorism in the past. As of yet, there haven't been any cases of them targeting government designated top secret cities, but I don't for a moment think your story is a joke, kids.

Ena quietly sighed. It appeared that the reason she honestly believed their story was because it was a possibility she had feared from the start.

...I understand that Q is a dangerous organization. But why hasn't the police arrested them?
That's because for the most part, Q's members consist of 'ordinary people' who happen to be in the area of the operation.
Ordinary people?
Unlike extremist groups and town guerrillas of the past, Q doesn't make grandiose claims of its existence. And of course, they don't have any sort of hideout where they practice armed combat or anything. They merely use their proprietary network to search for ordinary people who dislike Communicators and then they slowly convince those people to join their cause.
But if the terrorists solicit, won't they get caught right away...?
No. When they solicit like-minded people, they use various different names for camouflage. Bland names like 'The Association for Consideration of Relations with Communicators'. But once they join those camouflage organizations, the members themselves don't realize that they've actually joined Q. The majority of its own members don't understand the truth of the organization. The name Q itself is nothing more than a designation given for convenience. That's why it's hard for the police to make arrests.
...Is that how it works?

That seemed to be the reason why Natsuhiko hadn't even heard of the name Q until just a few days ago. Because Q was a unique kind of terrorist organization-- one whose very structure was ambiguous.

But Q's top brass are working solely to commit terrorism though, right?
Of course. The top brass have been pulling off terrorist acts for years by going through their countless subordinate members and selecting the ones most suitable to take the fall as the perpetrators. Oftentimes they choose staff members with connections to the target buildings to be the perpetrators. The use of such sleeper agents increases the success rate of their terrorist acts. What supports their unity and belief is a hatred of the unknown. The mere thought that 'they're not like us' is enough to incite them to hate others, ostracize them, injure them, and finally set towns ablaze. Their mentality is abnormal...!
There are people like that in the world...!?

Natsuhiko's very core shuddered to hear the entire story. Not once in his life did he expect there to be people who hated Communicators like him to that extent.

(We've never even met. We've never even done anything wrong...!)

--That was when Natsuhiko first knew. That the world was full of malice. A peaceful life was not a given, but rather something narrowly established on a precarious balance. As the kids cast their eyes downward at this newfound truth, Ena spoke to them gently.

...I'm sorry. It must be a shock. The ugly truth of society and the existence of genuine malice should be things left for you to find out when you grow up. That's why the school doesn't teach those things. It would give needless anxiety to the students and surely spread the seeds of antagonism, too. This town polices information and filters the internet... Though, honestly, if you looked into it, you could still find out about Q's existence and whatnot.

That did seem like an obvious decision on the school's part. If the school instilled the fear of ordinary people into the minds of all the Communicators who attended, then the cycle of antagonism would never end.

...But you know, I thought that you three would be able to accept that truth calmly. Ms. Toba, the most diligent of the class. Ms. Sannomiya, the wisest of the class. And Mr. Tenkawa, the one with the highest aptitude in the class... You're a mismatched trio, but that's why the three of you together can come to terms with this truth, right?
O... of course!
Yeah! We're not the type to lose heart to some dumb malice like that or whatever!
I've promised that even in the off chance something does happen, I will protect these two.
I see. I'm glad I told you then. So...

Ena smiled sweetly-- and then she spoke clearly and distinctly.

Leave the rest up to the adults. You kids should behave and just stay put.
...Huh?
I heard from the security department and the police after yesterday's bomb threat. They're already considering the possibility of terrorism. That's why the city's under martial law. If terrorism happens in this city now, it could shatter a system ten-odd years in the making. It might be harsh of me to say this, but it'll just be a hindrance for kids to be moving back and forth. I'm sure the security department thinks so too, which is why they're trying to take you into protective custody.
But... you're telling us to just sit back and do nothing?
We can't! The whole city could be in danger! Are you just going to watch as it happens, Ms. Ena!?
...I know. But I'm not just going to watch. This town's so beautiful, it just makes you want to protect it.

So this is the only branch in the entirety of Route Before that doesn't involve Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro or Salyu. I decided to make a call here and set Ena to 7 to get the high answer, since you in the thread seem to like Ena after going through Route After.

As she spoke, Ena glanced at the classroom door.

But even so, you three need to head home now. And if the security department people show up, you should follow their instructions. That's the number one thing you three should do for now.

He could tell Ena was worried about both them and the city. And yet in the end, her opinion still didn't mesh with theirs?

(Dammit, we need to persuade her somehow...! There has to be some way we can convince her.)

As soon as Natsuhiko pondered that question, Mashiro suddenly spoke up.

I... I understand, Ms. Ena. We'll do as you say.
Huh?

Natsuhiko was surprised, but Ena spoke in relief.

Thank you. It makes me happy as a teacher to have such obedient students.
It's... it's because I've always respected you, Ms. Ena. Okay, Natsuhiko. Salyu. Let's go.
No, hold on a second Mashiro. It's a little too sudden for you to just say--
Just come.

At around the same time Mashiro said that, she used telepathy.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

{Don't say anything, guys. I'll explain the situation once we're outside. Let's just run away for now.}

As soon as Natsuhiko heard that message, he couldn't stop himself from raising his voice.

Run away!? From what?
!!
Huh?

Ena gave a stern expression for a second. Mashiro got flustered and waved her hand.

N-nothing! C'mon, let's go, guys!
R-right.
...Roger.

Before Natsuhiko and Salyu could understand what was going on, Mashiro led them out.

They left Ena alone with a dubious expression on her face--

Shh!

Mashiro shushed him and answered with telepathy.

{We can't trust Ms. Ena. ...She's not opening her heart to us.}
!?
What does that mean?
{When she finished talking, Ms. Ena seemed oddly obstinate, didn't she? So I tried to see if I could use empathy on her, but... I couldn't hear her mental voice at all. That's proof she isn't opening her heart.}

Mashiro's eyes were blurred with sadness.

...No way...

The smile he saw on Ena's face just now flickered in the back of Natsuhiko's head. It was such a kind smile by appearances, and yet--

(Did Prof. Tsubakiyama not actually trust us...?)

He couldn't understand why not. But he could smell danger somewhere.

{If we stay here too long, she could call the security department on us... let's get out of here calmly, but quickly.}
...Yeah.

The kids walked down the hallway trying to look as casual as they could. Nimbly passing through surveillance camera dead spots all the while.

...So, where do we go next?
We're in a tight spot, huh... Since we can't find Mr. Ukita, we're out of adults we can trust.
Hmm...

Natsuhiko pondered Mashiro's observation. And he noticed that he did have one person in mind.

...What's up, Natsuhiko? Did you think of someone?
Well, kinda... But we're barely acquainted, though.
Who?
Someone both you and Salyu know.
...?
...Ah!

It seemed to finally click for Mashiro when he said that.

Yeah, when you've been cornered... I guess it really is a hero that you need.

And with that, the kids left the school. As they boarded the taxi, the driver asked them,

Driver: Where are you headed next?
The fire station.

The driver nodded and began to input their next destination.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 10, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
In this chapter, Natsuhiko and the rest learn of bigotry, terrorism and the truths lying beneath the surface of his home town. Also seen in this chapter:

TheMcD posted:

Professor, you know about Q? Of course I do. I am a teacher at Rokumei Academy, you know.

Natsuhiko using his burgeoning empathy to answer his own question for Ena.

On another note, why did we lose favour with Mashiro (not like it matters) for our high Ena answer? Is it a case where having high Sense for Ena causes Nat to keep trying to convince her to the point he almost lets slip Mashiro's message, whereas a low sense would mean he just lets the matter drop as he isn't so invested?

Finally, Best (not actually at this point in time) Buddy Jun coming up!

EDIT: Also also, in light of the "I am Legion" quotation, I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's ghosts all the way down.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 10, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Also seen in this chapter:

Natsuhiko using his burgeoning empathy to answer his own question for Ena.

You know, I was thinking about proofreading this fairly long chapter a bit more in detail because I figured I probably missed something. Then I got lazy because, well, I'm fat and lazy. Whoops. ...what I mean to say was "you saw nothing".

OddHaberdasher posted:

On another note, why did we lose favour with Mashiro (not like it matters) for our high Ena answer? Is it a case where having high Sense for Ena causes Nat to keep trying to convince her to the point he almost lets slip Mashiro's message, whereas a low sense would mean he just lets the matter drop as he isn't so invested?

I didn't check, but that seems to be what would happen. Natsuhiko wants to stick around and convince Ena because he thinks it's possible, while Mashiro is trying as hard as possible to just leave because she already knows Ena is closing her heart. And then Natsuhiko basically lets it slip that something's up, which doesn't sit well with Mashiro.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

JUN MORIBE'S DUTY: 09/15/2030, 10:15

♪ BGM: Challenger / Theme of Jun

Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Salyu got off the taxi in front of a building they had never visited before. They weren't entirely sure of how the fire department was organized, but the rescue squad members were probably here too.

The fire station... So that means we're here to see Jun Moribe?
Exactly. But it's kind of a gamble, though.
I hope Jun's around...

But considering what had happened so far, they had no room for optimism.

(We might get the same reaction we got from Prof. Tsubakiyama... so we need to be careful. I don't know if I can pull it off or not, but I'll try using empathy too. I can't just make Mashiro do all the work...!)

And with that thought in mind, they stepped foot onto the premises, prompting a cheerful voice to call out to them.

Huh~? Well, if it isn't Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Louise. What's up?
Ah, hello, Jun!
It's been a while!
Hello.

Oddly enough, Salyu seemed to have ''read the atmosphere'' and greeted her courteously.

Yup, great to see such well-mannered kids. So, what brings you guys to these parts? You didn't come all the way here to see little old me, now did you?
Actually, we did.
Wait, seriously?
You see, there's something we want to talk to you about...

The kids explained the circumstances to the cheerful and casual Jun. They told her about the terrorists boiling with hatred in the city. They told her about the possibility those terrorists could conduct destructive activities in various parts of town. --And at the end of their explanation, Jun asked them with a serious look on her face.

...Is that true?
It might sound like a joke... but it's true.
Yeah... You guys sound like you're for real.

As Jun made a bitter face, Mashiro asked her again.

Jun, do you believe us?
Well~ If I had to go just by your story alone, it'd be hard to believe right off the bat, you know? But there -have- been some things that have been bugging me lately, see...
What do you mean?
Well, they've been deploying us way too much lately. There's been such a spike in the sheer number of incidents alone that it just feels unnatural.
Jun, do you think those accidents and incidents could be connected to terrorism?
I never thought about it at all, but hearing your story sure makes me think so. The atmosphere at work has gotten so tense lately. I wonder if everyone else has started to think something was off?
I see...

As he listened to Jun's answer--

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

First he searched for Jun's characteristic brain waveform and quickly identified it.

(Jun's a ''Type 8'', huh.)

That was the waveform associated with idealists and challengers. He found it fitting as he concentrated further.

(Now I need to try the same trick I did when I read Mom's mind. Assuming that wasn't just a hallucination, that is... Focus from the bottom of my heart: I want to know what's on her mind!)

He fiercely wished to know whether or not Jun truly believed what they said.

Hmm? What's wrong, Natsuhiko? What's with that strained face all of a sudden?

Natsuhiko paid no heed to her voice and concentrated further. And suddenly-- Jun's natural voice disappeared and another voice echoed in his head.

...H-hey, are you okay? Can you hear--

{Is he that worried...? Well, I guess so, I mean they are asking me for help. Yeah. So in that case, I better give him some reassurance.}

Natsuhiko gasped. This time, he was certain that it was no hallucination.

(That was Jun's ''mental voice''... I used empathy!)

He was both surprised and grateful.

(Looks like I've figured out the trick...! I guess intention really is important.)

Perhaps people are best able to learn new abilities when they truly need them. Furthermore, Jun's innermost thoughts were full of concern for the three of them. Natsuhiko took a big breath of relief.

I-I'm okay... It was just so big a relief that you believed us that I nearly passed out.

♪ BGM: Challenger / Theme of Jun

Hahah, a little faint of heart, are we? That's no good. You gotta man up if you're a boy.
But that's great. There was nobody else we could count on.
Nah, nah, I'm glad to help out however I can. Well, terrorism is a little out of our area of expertise, but if you like, I'm sure I can talk with someone up--

But before Jun could complete her sentence, a shrill sound interrupted her.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

!?
Huh, what!?
What's that sound!?
A dispatch...!

That very moment, Jun's face became stern. And at the same time, they heard a siren echo from the fire station building.

Wh-what's going on!?
...I'm guessing it's got something to do with -that-.
What... ah!

The kids didn't notice until Jun mentioned it. But far off in the distance, they could see black smoke.

(Don't tell me that's another terrorist attack...?)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, Jun patted him on the shoulder.

Sorry, I gotta go check it out for a bit. Looks like we'll have to save this discussion for later.
Jun...

Mashiro spoke with an expression full of anxiety. But Jun just smiled as if to cheer her up.

What's with that face? The desire to protect this town is something all of us share. And I'm gonna protect this town my way. So you guys do whatever it is you can. Capisce?
Y...
Yes!
Yup. Good answer. Later, guys. See ya!

The kids waved their hands as Jun headed inside the fire station. Before long, a firetruck emerged from the station and passed by. Natsuhiko muttered as they watched it leave.

Do whatever it is we can, huh...
Yeah...

They nearly had Jun's cooperation, but they couldn't quite get it. But be that as it may, just loitering here until Jun returned wouldn't quite be ''doing whatever it is they could''.

Okay... let's go too.
Huh?
If Jun's dispatching to the site of a terrorist attack, then the culprit might be there too.
I see. 'The culprit always appears at the scene of the crime', right!?
Let's leave the firefighting to Jun's team. We'll go search for the culprit!

And with that decision made, the kids boarded onto the taxi once more.

Mr. Driver, follow that firetruck!
Driver: Huh? H-hell yeah! I've always wanted someone to tell me that. Okay, voice command: Drive mode: 'Manual'! Here we go, boys and girls!

The driver slammed the accelerator and the taxi sped off. Towards the lingering smoke in the distance.

I believe that deep down, every single taxi driver out there just dreams of a day they stop to pick up a customer, and then he jumps into the car, slams the door shut and shouts ''follow that car!''.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MASHIRO TOBA'S ABILITIES: 09/15/2030, 10:47

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

The kids were shocked to see what lay before them as they got down.

It was the PRC, the same institution that they had known to be a Q target since yesterday. An explosion probably happened here. There were shards of glass everywhere. The building was wrecked. Jun's team was apparently already inside fighting fires and saving lives.

So this place really was being targeted...!
The terrorists have finally sprung into action!

Natsuhiko nodded and looked around. There were onlookers gathered around the building. The crowd of course included staff members who escaped the building as well as policemen and security department people, but--

The culprit could be in the crowd...!
Yeah, the culprit always appears at the scene of the crime, they say.

They weren't quite sure of the authenticity of that saying, but that was all they could rely on for now. But it was quite a difficult task to find the culprit since they had no leads.

Mashiro. Can you search the crowd for the man you saw on the bus two days ago?
Hmm~... In a crowd this big, it's obviously going to be hard. He might not be wearing the same sunglasses, after all. ...But maybe we can find him with unconventional methods?
Hmm? Like what?
Let's just there's more than one way to use telepathy.

Mashiro gave a bold smile as she placed a finger at her temple.

The culprit hates Communicators... so let's exploit that hatred. I'll send 'untargeted' telepathy to all the onlookers. You guys watch for anyone whose reaction looks suspicious.
G-got it!
Roger.
I apologize for the language in advance, so don't be surprised, okay...? Well, here goes!

And with that, Mashiro closed her eyes--

{You hate Communicators, huh? So why the hell are you watching the fire when there's one right behind you!?}

The head-splitting telepathy echoed inside their heads. And at the same time, all the onlookers cowered in fear.

(Do anyone's reactions look off!?)

Natsuhiko and Salyu darted their eyes around the crowd. People were bewildered. People were looking around. There were various reactions, but--

(!!)

But just one person's reaction stood out as different-- --The same time Mashlro's telepathy rang out, a man turned and looked behind his shoulder in shock.

(Huh...!?)

That man looked familiar to Natsuhiko. His stern face, huge body, and finally his uniform--

Mashiro, Salyu, it's him!

The girls followed the path of Natsuhiko's finger and their faces stiffened.

!?
That's...!

The words they had heard from Ena earlier that day came to mind.

The use of such sleeper agents increases the success rate of their terrorist acts.

The answer to why the security guard overreacted to what they said back then, too. The answer to why he had filed a false report to the security department.

(It's because -he's- the culprit behind everything!)

The moment he made that realization, he heard the onlookers start a commotion.

Onlooker 1: What was that telepathy just now...?
Onlooker 2: Yeah, she said something about a bomber...

That's when Mashiro sent in more telepathy.

{Officers! Security department people! The bomber's that guy who looks like a security guard! He's super duper dangerous, so all you onlookers need to be careful, okay!}

The commotion grew even louder. The security guard in question became quite uncomfortable and tried to slip his way out of the crowd of onlookers.

Salyu...
I know. It's my turn now.

And with that, Salyu slipped into the crowd and chased after the security guard.

Mashiro, it's dangerous, so stay back!

Natsuhiko warned Mashiro as he chased after Salyu. And once the security guard slipped out of the crowd--

Hmmph!

Salyu let out a battle cry and lunged at him, dragging him into an alley.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Salyu side kicked the security guard in the knee before he could finish talking.

Security Guard: D—dammit!!

The security guard pulled out his extendable baton--

Shah!!

But as soon as he got it at the ready, Salyu front kicked his wrist. The baton tumbled onto the ground. But Salyu didn't stop. Her gracefully executed roundhouse kick drew an arc through the air and into the back of his neck.

The security guard muttered a moan and collapsed to the ground.

Security Guard: Gh, agh, aagh...!

He tried to get up. But his knee gave out and he couldn't stand.

You should stop resisting. You have no chance to succeed.
Stop it, Salyu! You're going overboard!

Natsuhiko rushed up next to Salyu and tried to be the voice of reason. He stood between Salyu and the security guard and interrogated the man.

...You're with Q, aren't you?
Security Guard: ...

The security guard didn't answer. His facial expression merely moved ever so slightly.

(--There's no doubt about it. He's a terrorist!)

Natsuhiko continued with conviction.

Because of you, we had the security department breathing down our necks. We're gonna prove our innocence by turning you in to the security department and making you talk.

The security guard's face warped. He staggered up to his feet.

(There's no point trying to escape with a pitiful limp like that. The security department's swarming all over the place.)

--The moment he thought that, Mashiro's voice echoed in the alley.

Th-that's right! This is the end of your evil deeds!
!! Mashiro, I said not to come, stupid!

He turned around and shouted at Mashiro-- which created just a moment's opening.

Security Guard: !!

The security guard pulled a small knife out of his pocket.

Natsuhiko, watch out!

The sound of Salyu's voice left Natsuhiko breathless. The security guard readied himself--

Security Guard: Uwwooogghh!!

--and stabbed the knife into his own stomach.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

--...Huh?

Natsuhiko doubted his eyes. The spray of blood from the man's stomach splashed onto Salyu's face.

Ah...

Time seemed to stop for a moment. But that was of course, just an illusion--

Kyaaaahhhh!!

Mashiro's scream snapped Natsuhiko and Salyu back to their senses.

H-he stabbed... himself!?
Why...!?
(Don't tell me he did it to avoid getting apprehended by the security department!? Since he succeeded in blowing up the PRC, his duty is done!? So he's basically a suicide bomber!?)

Mashiro shouted to the confused Natsuhiko.

W... we need to take him to the hospital!
Huh!? Th-this terrorist!?
Of course! Wh-what if he dies!?

Certainly, taking a life was not their intention in the slightest. Salyu spoke up quietly.

If he dies, then we won't be able to prove our innocence.
Th-that's right! Let's call an ambulance!

But they didn't have their PDAs on them to call 119. The kids reluctantly dashed out of the alley to look for a payphone.

Onlooker 1: Hey, did you hear a scream?
Onlooker 2: Did it have anything to do with that telepathy earlier?

And then mixed in with those onlookers, they saw familiar people lingering around. They were the men they had been fearing ever since yesterday.

The security department...!
Oh no! What do we do!?

A few minutes ago, they would've run. But the situation was different now.

Ghh... it might be a long shot, but let's turn the culprit over to them!
Huh!?
If we tell the security department, I'm pretty sure they'll call an ambulance for us, and besides-- If we want to clear our names, now might be our only chance.
Are you sure it won't complicate things if we showed them that crime scene!?
If they saw it, they'd accuse us of stabbing an upstanding citizen in retaliation for filing a report on us!
I know it's a gamble, but we can't keep running forever, can we!? Besides, if we don't act quick, he'll die! No more running. No more hiding. Our best option is to talk to the security department now and get them to understand the truth!
Y-you're right. Okay...!

Mashiro took a deep breath and yelled.

Security department people, over here please! The PRC bomber's over here!!
And he's attempted suicide, too! Please call an ambulance!
Security Dept.: Wha-!?

The security department members rushed over once they heard the kids' voices.

(We've done what we could...)

As he watched the security department members rush in, Natsuhiko prayed. He prayed they made the right choice to clear their names of the false charge--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LOUISE YUI SANNOMIYA'S DEDUCTION: 09/15/2030, 19:58

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

The security department called an ambulance and took the man to Rokumei City Hospital. Fortunately, his wound wasn't as deep as they initially believed, and his treatment apparently went by relatively quickly. As for Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Salyu, they were taken to the municipal office and underwent a long, thorough investigation. They explained everything in detail to the security department, starting with why they had sneaked into the PRC. It took a long time to get the security department to understand all the details, and they didn't seem easily swayed, but... Eventually, the security department members went to the hospital and interrogated the security guard, thus learning that he had falsified the report and that his abdominal injury was self-inflicted. The kids' methods earned them reproval for their recklessness, but their results earned them recognition for successfully apprehending an alleged terrorist in the end--

Security Dept.: Thank you for your cooperation.

And with a final stereotypical line from the security department members who had been chasing them for hours, the kids left the municipal office.

Tch, they could've at least given us a reward.

Mashiro grumbled as they walked. She was quite on edge when the investigation began, but once she heard that the security guard was okay, she returned to her usual self.

(I don't know if she's being too greedy or being too soft...)

Natsuhiko smiled wryly as he made his reply.

Now, now, let's just be glad they didn't end up putting us in their custody, shall we?
Well, I guess. Nothing's more valuable than freedom, I guess.
...You two are so unselfish.

Salyu seemed unsatisfied, but Natsuhiko wasn't at all. Now that their names were cleared, they could move around without fear of the security department's shadow. And of course that meant they could return home.

Oh boy, we can finally rest easy... He may have been injured, but at least we caught the culprit.
They said the full-blown investigation will start once he's healed, right? I wish they'd pick up the pace, for goodness' sake.
I know. But it's getting late today, so let's just go home and eat for now.
Yay. Food. We haven't eaten anything since breakfast.

Natsuhiko smiled at how they were finally able to have a calm conversation for the first time that day. But there was one regretful thing that happened.

...In the end, we couldn't stop the terrorists from blowing up the PRC like they wanted to...
Yeah... but at least there weren't any casualties.

That was another thing they had heard from the security department. Thanks to Jun's team, all the PRC staff members were rescued successfully. But that was still nothing to be happy about.

Actually, there's one more thing that bothers me...
Hmm?
The security guard wasn't the man I saw on the bus.
Huh...!?
So I guess there are still more of them in town...

Natsuhiko gasped at Mashiro's statement.

...I see. I have an idea about that point. If you think about it calmly, the fact that the security guard stabbed himself in the stomach was also bizarre.
Huh... What do you mean?
While he did accomplish his mission to blow up the PRC, he had no need to commit suicide. The fact that his wound was superficial is also worrying. The answer I can derive from these issues is that probably-- His suicidal act was just that. An act. A performance to make it appear that all the incidents had reached a conclusive end.
A performance!?
If he went that far, anybody would believe that he was the one behind the entire string of incidents. But what if was just an act to avert the public gaze away from other criminals?
Y-you mean...
The incidents aren't over yet...!?

Everyone's faces stiffened at that statement. Natsuhiko stopped walking and interjected.

...Hold on a second. Before we go back home, let's think things through a bit. If there are still terrorists around, what else do you think might happen here?
More terrorism, I guess? But what other targets are there...?
The BC-related facilities that received the objectionable literature?
But we heard that the security department was tightening their guard around those facilities. And the objectionable literature was a diversion for the Parapsychology Research Center bombing in the first place. Targeting those addressees would defeat the purpose of the diversion.
Then what else could they be up to...?

Natsuhiko got the feeling they were missing something important. He thought about what that missing something could be.

(Arson? They wouldn't have had to make such an elaborate diversion to do that. I thought that all the diversions were to set up for the PRC bombing, but... was that not the case? Do they have a target besides the PRC...?)

Natsuhiko's train of thought led him to that point before something flashed in the back of his mind. He then realized exactly what it was that they were missing.

...Hey, Mashiro.
Yeah?
The man you saw on the bus mentioned 'ending this town's history', right?
Huh? W—well, yeah, but...
But blowing up the PRC wouldn't end this town's history, would it...? I mean, what if the PRC explosion itself were a diversion?
--!

Mashiro's face froze at the suggestion.

H-hold on! You mean they're targeting a bigger facility than the PRC!?
Yeah, something that sorta symbolizes the city... Something they can destroy to satisfy their hatred against Communicators.
But where would you find a facility like that? The PRC is the biggest BC research facility in town, isn't it? You don't mean school, do you?
No, they already caused a panic at school with that bomb threat, so--

The moment Natsuhiko began to speak,

... If it were me,

Salyu finally broke her silence with a sighed utterance.

I'd target that place.

Salyu pointed at the map posted at the bus stop. On the other side of her fingertip was an illustration-- --of the hexagonal building, ''LABO''.

Huh... LABO?
Salyu, that's not a BC-related facility. It's a nuclear research facility.
I know. But if I'm not mistaken-- They should have a nuclear reactor.
!!

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

The moment he heard ''reactor'', Natsuhiko was suddenly struck by an unpleasant feeling.

A-and...?

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

Y-yeah...
What if we take that to mean their true intention is 'to raze the town in its entirety and destroy the Communicators'?
!?

Natsuhiko and Mashiro gasped at the same time.

...No, no, not even a terrorist would do that, would they?
Why not? It's the most logical target.
Yeah, but...

She couldn't find how to continue. Salyu's idea sounded like a crazy delusion-- but it couldn't necessarily be dismissed as nonsense.

(If they did blow up the nuclear reactor, that certainly would end this town's history...!)

The moment he thought that, he suddenly heard Ukita's words playing back in his head.

Causing enormous casualties. The residents in the vicinity and the firefighters sent in to handle the accident were hit the hardest; over 3000 of them died. And the number only rose after that.

Natsuhiko shuddered. Mashiro started to tremble.

Then you mean the PRC explosion was another diversion... And Q's real target is LABO!?
Calm down, Mashiro! It's just conjecture, that's all!
That's right. What I said was nothing more than conjecture.
Yeah, but it's still a possibility... So shouldn't we go to LABO and give them a warning!?
M-maybe, but... LABO...

He swallowed his words.

No matter what Mashiro said. Because he could never forget what happened nine years ago-- On July 7, 2021. That was the very same place he had exposed Yuuri to life or death danger.

That day, Natsuhiko and Yuuri sneaked into LABO to see the professor. But a fire broke out... And the kids were trapped in the facility.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Automatic PA: In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

The gate shut in front of them and wouldn't open.

Darn it! Why won't it open!
*sob* ... *sob* ... Wh-what do we do, Hikorin... I'm scared...!
Don't cry, Yuuri! I'll do something!

*cough* *cough* ...!

Eventually Yuuri's coughing started to grow weak.

(If we stay here, Yuuri's gonna die...!)

Natsuhiko carried Yuuri's body and slowly started to walk. The smoke stung his eyes. He began to tear up. His breathing grew rough. His head hurt. And still he aimlessly wandered, searching for a route to survival...

He only had the faint memory that someone had come to save them--

(We were in the hospital before we knew it... But ever since then...!)

The terror didn't end with that traumatic experience. Ever since that day, Yuuri could no longer leave the house. --And it wasn't just Yuuri that changed.

LABO denied the existence of a leak, and no report was made mentioning it. But considering their efforts after the fact, a radiation leak was the only possible explanation. Natsuhiko was hospitalized for three months following the incident, and even after being discharged, he was required to undergo a yearly physical examination at the hospital. Even now, after nine years had already passed from their narrow escape from death.

By now, Natsuhiko displayed essentially no symptoms of radiation exposure. His body was almost perfectly healthy. But with every passing July 7, and with each mention of LABO, he would recall what happened back then. Natsuhiko and Yuuri were still bound together by that incident even now.

(... And yet I have to go to LABO again...!?)

The moment that thought crossed his mind, Natsuhiko began feeling nauseous. He broke out in a cold sweat and his throat went dry. His entire body was tormented by the unpleasant memory.

(D- dammit...! Is my body refusing to remember...!?)

Natsuhiko gritted his teeth, held back the urge to vomit, and finally wrung out some words.

...E-even if Salyu's conjecture is correct...! It's a problem that's out of our hands, Mashiro...
No way! Aren't you worried, Natsuhiko!?
Of course I am! But even if Salyu's conjecture is right, what do you expect us to do!? How do you suggest we stop terrorists from targeting a nuclear reactor!?
But... then what do you suggest we do!?
First, we contact LABO officials--

As soon as Natsuhiko began to talk, he heard a familiar voice from behind them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

KEIJI UKITA'S REACTION: 09/15/2030, 20:14

Huh... Ah!

Natsuhiko gasped and looked at the owner of the voice. A car was parked at the shoulder of the road-- and Ukita had come out of the driver's seat.

Mr. Ukita!
Is something the matter? What's with all this commotion outside in a place like this?

Ukita questioned the kids with a curious look on his face. Suddenly, Natsuhiko remembered Mr. Ukita's accident.

Beats me. Maybe there was a system error in his car's ADS?
But I thought ADS failures were exceptionally rare?

(What if that wasn't an accident...? What if Q targeted Mr. Ukita since he's with LABO!?)

Terrified, Natsuhiko rushed up to Ukita.

Mr. Ukita, please listen! You see--

Natsuhiko and Mashiro explained Salyu's conjecture. Ukita probably didn't know who Salyu was, so they explained her story as well. And after he had finished hearing everything, Ukita spoke with a grim look on his face.

...Q's targeting us!? This is a huge concern!
You know about Q too, Mr. Ukita?
Computers are a hobby of mine. Naturally, that includes browsing the internet as well, which is how I happened to learn of them. But never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect they'd target my own workplace when we've got nothing to do with them.

His phrasing sounded a little cynical, but he appeared to have believed the kids' word. Natsuhiko sighed in relief as he continued the explanation.

We just caught one of those terrorists.
You caught one!? Y-you kids did!?
Yes. But he might have just been a diversion.
Hmm... In that case, we can't rest yet, can we? But we at LABO have the strictest security in the entire city. Terrorists couldn't target us even if they tried. I highly doubt they can crush our security that easily.
But it wouldn't hurt to be alert.
Hmm... Indeed, it would be disastrous in the off chance that they did manage to take over the facility. So in that case... Okay! I'll talk to the security staff and get them to strengthen security even further!
Okay, please do!

Mashiro and Ukita smiled at each other.

(Sorry, Mr. Ukita, it's not like I don't trust you, but...)

He decided to read Ukita's mind just to make sure, just like he did with Jun. He searched for Ukita's brain waveform and identified him as Type 1. He continued and focused on the desire to know what was on his mind.

(Please, Mr. Ukita, open your heart to me...!)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, he heard a voice echo in his head.

{But there's no time. Need to act now!}
--..gh.

Natsuhiko had gradually gotten used to it by his third attempt. He successfully used empathy. And above all else, Ukita was thankfully opening his heart to them.

Hmm? No, no, I only did what was natural. I have an obligation to fulfill as a member of LABO. But no matter what happens... promise me you kids won't put yourselves in danger.

The kids felt that having him as an ally would be a big support.

Salyu obediently listened to Ukita's words.

Okay then, I shall be heading back to LABO now. I apologize, but we'll have to part here.
Okay, please do!
Alice: Kyankyan!

With Natsuhiko and Alice's voices at his back, Ukita returned to his car. He then drove back towards LABO. But as they watched the car drive off-- Salyu muttered quietly.

...I don't understand what's on other people's minds.
Hmm...? What's this all of a sudden?
Well, there's something I want to ask you two. Did you notice anything suspicious about Keiji Ukita's speech and conduct?
Huh...? Suspicious?

An unpleasant premonition quickly spread among them. Salyu petted Alice and continued.

When I said anything suspicious, I was referring to the reason Alice cried out like that. That 'kyankyan!' cry indicates when someone's flustered. ...Why would he be flustered?
!?

Natsuhiko and Mashiro gasped at that word.

...Wait, what do you mean by flustered...?
He didn't look that way to me.
Alice can detect nuanced changes in facial expression that may be difficult for humans to detect. Subtle indicators such as sweat, muscle tension, and shivering... If her analysis is correct, then he was flustered. But I do not understand the reason why.
(No way... Huh...? Wh-which is it? Is Mr. Ukita a ''victim'' or an ''aggressor''?)

As he pondered, Natsuhiko suddenly realized something. There was something bizarre about what he had heard of Ukita's mental voice.

{But there's no time. Need to act now!}

Natsuhiko had been quite relieved to find out that Ukita's heart was open, but-- The more he thought about it, the stranger it seemed. Why would Ukita think ''there's no time'' just from hearing Salyu's conjecture?

(H-hold on a second...!)

That wasn't all that was strange. ''I can't get these kids involved too'' could be taken in a way that meant he had already gotten other people involved.

Th... there's two possibilities. Either Mr. Ukita really felt the gravity of the terrorist threat--
Or Mr. Ukita is with the terrorists... and thought that we had caught onto the plan...?

Natsuhiko's heart pounded.

(Q uses ''sleeper agents''...! Is Mr. Ukita the sleeper agent in their LABO terrorist plot...!?) ...Oh crap! Let's chase after Mr. Ukita for now!
Y-yeah!

There was no time for Natsuhiko to dwell on unpleasant memories. The kids ran off in the direction they had seen Ukita leave.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Computers are a hobby of mine. Naturally, that includes browsing the internet as well, which is how I happened to learn of them.

So Mr. Ukita spends his work hours watching cat videos, is what I'm getting from this :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I find it a little hard to believe that Ukita is part of Q, but I've been proven wrong before.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He's definitely central to the incident, whatever it is.

I mean we know LABO has nothing to do with nuclear power and I'm pretty certain Q has no idea either.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, everything's coming together now. The situation's about what I thought it was, and the real revelation is how Q works, which sort of reminds me of concepts explored in the Ghost in the Shell anime. Also, if we're being honest, this is EXACTLY how people would react in the real world if it were revealed that there were people with psychic powers among us. don't even try to claim otherwise. That conversation with Ena is for me one of the high points of this so far.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

WATCHMAN'S REFUSAL: 09/15/2030, 20:30

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

''LABO Private Highway''. The entrance had an inspection gate where all cars were checked. The facility was equipped with a nuclear reactor. That level of security was only to be expected.

Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Salyu were caught in the checkpoint as well.

Traffic Inspector: Mm!? Who are you kids!?

They were stopped by a stern-faced traffic inspector.

We want to go to LABO! Please let us through!
Traffic Inspector: What the hell do you think you're saying? No. Definitely not. How do you even expect to get there? It's 10 km away, you know? Stop spewing bullshit and go home, kids.
B-but we know Dr. Tenkawa...
Traffic Inspector: I don't care who you know. Nobody gets through this inspection gate without a valid reason. If you want to get to LABO, then go through the proper routes to get permission from the Rokumei City Security Department or LABO's PR manager.
Permission? How long does it take to get that?
Traffic Inspector: Anywhere from three days to one week, I suppose. Though I seriously doubt they'd take an ordinary student's application seriously.
N-no way...!
There could be a terrorist attack on LABO, you know!?
Traffic Inspector: A terrorist attack? Well yeah, there's been a big commotion lately around town. We're already on guard. A little too on guard if you ask me, though.
No! It's not enough!
There's a high probability that the terrorists could have a sleeper agent in LABO. Have you considered that possibility?
Traffic Inspector: Sleeper agent? What nonsense is that? Whatever, just go home already before I call the cops on you.

And with that threat, the traffic inspector placed his hand on the phone.

(The police...!)

They had just cleared their names with the security department. If he called the police, things could quite possibly get troublesome again. Salyu gently whispered into Natsuhiko's ear.

Let's go home, you two. It's not a good idea to agitate the situation any further.
B-but...!
What we need to do is stop the terrorist plot. Not make enemies of the police and security department.
...!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro were finally convinced.

...Okay. Let's think of a new plan, then.
It'd be for the best.
...Excuse us.
Traffic Inspector: Hmph. Better not see you here again even if you get lost, you hear?

The kids left the inspection point with that voice at their backs.

This looks bad... What do we do?
Doesn't look like we've got a choice... Let's look for a pay phone for now. Let's give a heads up to the police and the security department, and finally LABO.

They nodded and began walking again.

Natsuhiko quickly looked up the security department number and called them.

Security Dept.: Yes, this is the Rokumei Municipal Office Security Department, Takehashi speaking.
Thanks for all the hard work. It's me, Tenkawa, the Rokumei Academy student.
Security Dept.: ...Oh, well if it isn't Mr. Housekeeper. What can I do for you?
Well, you see...

Natsuhiko gave the security department member a summary of Salyu's conjecture. However--

So basically, there's a possibility that the terrorists are targeting LABO...
Security Dept.: Yeah, we already know that. Thanks for your cooperation.

The voice on the other side of the phone had not a hint of seriousness.

Security Dept.: We'll give LABO a heads up, so just relax.
No, that still doesn't seem like enough... Can't you increase security or anything?
Security Dept.: Well, we'd have to dilute security at every other facility, and we can't exactly do that.
I know that, but isn't there anything you can do...?
Security Dept.: We can't work on possibilities alone. It'd be a different story if LABO at least received objectionable literature or something.
Security Dept.: Anyway, we'll strengthen security around the city.
Understood... Please do...

How did it go?
Well, at least he heard me out, but you know... How'd it go on your end?

While Natsuhiko was calling the security department, Mashiro was contacting the police. But she just looked dejected and shook her head.

No good at all. They kept insisting that security was sufficient.
Is our story too much of a stretch to get them to believe us...!?
...What should we do?

Right when Salyu muttered that-- They heard footsteps approaching in the distance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Q'S --: 09/15/2030, 20:45

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

There was a single man walking on the other side of the street. He was covering his face with a jacket hood and sunglasses even though it was nighttime.

--Mashiro, Salyu. That man...!

Mashiro and Salyu looked at the man after Natsuhiko whispered to them. The man was tall, and they could tell he was quite muscular even through his jacket. There was a strange intensity about him as well.

Is that the man who was on the bus...?
M-Maybe... At least he looks like he has the same build.
He's coming this way...!

The man walked straight towards them, never looking to either side.

(What if he's a terrorist--!?)

The fact that he was approaching without hiding or running away probably meant that he had business with them. The fact that he wasn't on guard meant--

(He could be armed... Don't tell me he's here to silence us...!?)

Natsuhiko promptly put himself on guard. If the man wasn't a terrorist, he'd just walk past them. The man stopped about 50 m away from the kids, but then--

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

--he suddenly made a mad dash at them.

!!
Mashiro, Salyu, let's get out of here!
Y-yeah!

Natsuhiko turned back and tried to run. --But on the other side of the road was just a single straight path continuing on forever. It was not a distance he could run while taking Mashiro with him.

This way! Turn to the side road!

In a daze, Natsuhiko dragged Mashiro and Salyu into the side road. They ran down the unpaved road. They could tell the man was following them. They made a desperate run for their life in the darkness with nary a streetlight.

...!

Soon enough, Natsuhiko realized something: this street was familiar.

(This path leads to--!)

That's right. It should lead to the ruined factory. He didn't know if taking refuge in those ruins would be a blessing or a curse. But he knew that if they kept running, their chances of escaping were low.

This way, guys!

Natsuhiko shouted and rushed into the ruined factory.

Whew...!
...!

They tried to catch their breath as quietly as they could. And with stealthy steps, they hid under cover. As they held their breath, they heard Mashiro using telepathy.

{... You think we'll be okay if we hide here...?}

Natsuhiko and Salyu answered her in a whisper.

...I don't know. Hopefully he overlooks this ruined factory and passes it by...
We can't be optimistic. If he does come here-- I'll stall him with a surprise attack.

Mashiro quietly gasped at those words.

{A surprise attack? You're gonna attack that huge a man?}
There should be no problem as long as he doesn't have any hand-to-hand combat skills. Even if he is trained in hand-to-hand combat or he's armed, I'll be able to manage if I take him by surprise.
...Will you really be okay?
I will... as long as he's alone, that is.
(Then what if he's not alone!?)

As soon as that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, he heard footsteps outside the factory.

!

Natsuhiko shrunk down and held his breath. The footsteps slowly came into the factory. The number of footsteps revealed-- --that he was alone.

{He seems to be alone... Can you manage?}

Salyu silently nodded.

{Should we help?}

Salyu silently shook her head.

{You can do it by yourself...?}

Salyu nodded and smiled. As if to tell Mashiro to relax. ...The footsteps drew closer. So close they could almost feel the man's breath. Salyu slowly calculated her timing-- --and jumped out of her cover.

Man: !?

Salyu's shadow danced in the darkness. They could hear the man gasp.

Shah!!

Salyu moved faster than the man could ready himself--

The man silently fell to the floor.

Y-you did it!
Amazing! Way to go, Salyu!

Salyu looked away, as if embarrassed by Natsuhiko and Mashiro's praise.

...More importantly, who is this man?
Judging by the circumstances, he seems like a terrorist, but...
Should we wait until he wakes up and ask him?
No... that seems too dangerous. Mashiro, can you read his mind with empathy?
Hmm, I don't know... I've never tried reading the mind of an unconscious person before. But I'll try it out.
Yeah, I'll try too.

Natsuhiko and Mashiro put their fingers to their brows. They concentrated their consciousnesses on the fainted man and focused deeply on the desire to read his mind.

(Tell me... Who are you? Are you really a terrorist!?)

He focused on that question with all his heart. All his mind. He deepened his concentration and eventually his five senses faded.

The moment he made that realization, his lost senses were replaced-- With the sound of a bizarre voice.

But the voice was nothing but the unintelligible vestiges of thought. He only heard fragments of noise. No matter how carefully he searched, the result was the same.

(Dammit, I can't figure out anything like this... I guess it really doesn't work, huh? Can't exactly ''open your heart'' if you're conked out.)

Mashiro, how's it going on--

Natsuhiko gasped before he could finish. Mashiro was standing stock still with her eyes peeled wide open.

N-Natsuhiko...!
!?

He gasped and traced Mashiro's gaze--

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

--only to see two unfamiliar men suddenly standing there in the darkness.

Wha...!?

Only then did Natsuhiko notice.

That Salyu was collapsed at the men's feet. And that the man on the left was holding a gun. There was no room for doubt-- In no uncertain terms, these men were terrorists.

(Dammit, so he really did have allies...!)

Natsuhiko cursed his carelessness. Once Natsuhiko tried to use BC, his five senses died out. In other words, he became oblivious to what was going on around him.

(Did these new guys come in from the back and knock Salyu out...!?)

It seemed she was only unconscious, judging by the lack of blood. But now that Salyu, the only one among them with combat skills, was incapacitated-- they had no means of a counteroffensive.

S-Salyu...

Mashiro muttered Salyu's name in a trembling voice and tried to walk up to her,

Man 2: Don't move.

but that voice stopped her.

Man 2: The second you move, I shoot.
...!

Natsuhiko stood to cover for Mashiro. Upon which, the third man spoke.

Man 3: Natsuhiko Tenkawa and Mashiro Toba, I presume?
...! How do you know our names...!?

And it is thus that something becomes confirmed that people have been suspecting for quite some time now. Something that has been alluded to in-game as well. We now see where that one memory scene we saw in the chapter ''In The Mirror'' of Natsuhiko saying that line came from, and both from that, and from hearing this man's voice, we now know one thing.

This ''Man 3'', one of the terrorists, is indeed Watase Kasasagi.

And going from what we've already seen from the run-in our group had with the rescue workers, we can pretty much confirm that ''Man 1'' and ''Man 2'' are Dojima and Hiyama.

We had someone look into it. We heard we had a couple of kids trying to sniff out our plan, see.
...!

A cold chill ran down Natsuhiko's spine. He had never expected to be apprehended by the enemy so easily.

(Are these guys... an even huger organization than we thought...!?)

The man continued as Natsuhiko found himself at a loss for words.

...Self-righteousness just leads to self-destruction. Sorry, but we have to dispose of you.
Y... you're gonna kill us?

The other man answered the question quite briefly.

Man 2: Yeah, we will.
Eep...!
Wait, it'll be too conspicuous if we leave bodies behind.
Man 2: But even so, we can't leave any insecurities in our plan before it hatches, can we?
Of course not, so in that case-- Let's just put you kids to sleep for now.

Not one second after the man finished talking, he ran over to Mashiro.

Aah...!

Mashiro gasped before collapsing on the spot.

Wh-what are you doing!?
I said I'm putting you kids to sleep, didn't I?
How... how dare you! How dare you lay a hand on Mashiro!

Natsuhiko gave into his anger and tried to strike the man. But the man dodged all too easily and wrapped around behind him. And the very next moment, the man wrapped his thick arm around Natsuhiko's neck.

Guh... ghah...!

Natsuhiko's breathing stopped. The man wrung out every last bit of air from his lungs.

drat... it... Let... go...!

But all the strength in Natsuhiko's body was not enough to make the man budge one bit. The grip in the man's arm was enough to show Natsuhiko the hopeless difference in strength between them. His consciousness started to fade into the distance.

(D-dammit...! Is this where it ends...!?)

There was nothing more that Natsuhiko could do. As soon as he understood the extent of his own powerlessness, fury burst up from inside of him.

(At the very least... Let me at least know what exactly these guys are plotting...!)

He screamed from the depths of his mind not to let things end this way. A torrent of rage surged from inside Natsuhiko.

(Let me use empathy, or anything at all! Show me what's in their minds--!)

--As that thought crossed his mind--

(!?)

He saw an unfamiliar room. He heard someone's voice from right beside him.

--Silence them, huh?

Again, we can tell by the voice that this side of the conversation is Watase.

And then he heard someone else answer.

???: Not like we've got a choice...
You're telling us... to kill children?
???: Don't go that far. Just threaten them and tie them up. The security department's mobilizing too. We don't want to draw their attention and we can't have LABO increasing their own level of security either. Because D-day is tomorrow--

Right as Natsuhiko heard up to that point, the voices quickly faded away-- And the vision disappeared too.

Natsuhiko gasped. What just happened? He had a feeling it was a little different from empathy. But one thing was for certain.

(So their real target... was LABO after all...! And D-day is tomorrow...!? S...to...p...)

His sight sank into darkness and his hearing fell silent too. And yet, for some reason-- He heard the painfully loud ticking of a watch's second hand. And mixed in with that sound, he heard a faint voice.

It was Yuuri's voice.

(... Yuuri?)

She sounded somehow sad.

{...Hikorin, you've finally reached it, haven't you?}
(Huh?)
{The apex of a Communicator's journey... The ability beyond empathy. The power to connect minds rather than just brains. But it would be best if you didn't use it anymore... For you might end up knowing something you'd rather not know.}
(No way... Like hell there's something I'd rather not know!)

Natsuhiko shouted voicelessly.

(I learned what their goal was! Our conjecture was right! So we have to do something!)

But by the time he made that realization, it was too late. Natsuhiko's consciousness was blanking out. A short silence passed-- and then Yuuri seemed just a little bit happy.

{...I see. Of course you'd think that way, Hikorin... In that case, you mustn't give up... For the truth is already right before you. I'm sure you can reach it, Hikorin.}

Eventually even the sound of the watch's second hand faded out-- And ceased.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So, this is the true power and horror: to be able to read not just surface thoughts, but the very essence of ones experiences. A route to understanding ones fellows that is Beyond Communications ability.

On another note, we have confirmation. We knew, but it is confirmed. By the way, McD, is the one Watase spoke to in the vision male or female (doubt it's someone we know, but whatever scant information we have must be grasped for).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

By the way, McD, is the one Watase spoke to in the vision male or female (doubt it's someone we know, but whatever scant information we have must be grasped for).

Male. The voice also sounded distorted, as if somebody were trying to hide their identity. Sounds sensible, if you are to be involved with terroristy business.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SEPTEMBER 16, AT THAT PLACE: 09/16/2030, 07:19

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

Natsuhiko had a detailed recollection of what happened yesterday. He remembered the day he had learned the truth, confronted the enemy, and suffered defeat. And today-- The gate closed in front of them, sending Natsuhiko into a crisis alongside Yuuri and Mashiro. But even so--

(Like hell am I gonna give up...!)

He had that conviction. Yuuri stood beside him and whispered softly into his ear.

...Hikorin, you've remembered, haven't you? You've overcome several obstacles to get here... You've obtained the strength you need to overcome the past. No matter what happens from now on, your mind will endure. You should be able to overcome anything.

Those words fortified Natsuhiko's mind even further. Though his head still hurt, he gritted his teeth and bore it. Mashiro called out to Natsuhiko in his silence.

Natsuhiko, what are you talking to Yuuri about!?

Natsuhiko smiled and answered her.

...She's given me courage.
Huh?
Mashiro, we can't give up yet. There has to be a way out.
B-but we can't go anywhere because the gate won't open...
No... We'll search for a 'security card'. As long as we have the right card, we can go to Area 6.

Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Yuuri didn't have a security card, but if they found one, they could probably open the gate.

There was a huge panic in the facility after the alarm rang out. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two staff members forgot to bring their card with them!
I-I see!

A little bit of Mashiro's cheerfulness had returned to her voice. It may have been just a sliver of hope, but they had no choice but to wager on it.

(I swear I'll find a card... and get these two girls out of here if it's the last thing I do!)

Natsuhiko made that conviction and ran off once more.

O-okay!
Then Hikorin, you take that room further down!
Yeah, leave it to me!

Natsuhiko followed Yuuri's suggestion and plunged into that room.

(It's a mess, huh... Maybe I can find a card here somewhere.)

Natsuhiko quickly started searching for a card. First he tried searching through the desk drawers.

Tch!

He quickly gave up on the drawers and started looking on top of the desk. But then something entirely different on the desk caught his eye.

Huh...!?

A digital photo frame decorated the desk. And the photo currently displayed-- was a photo of Natsuhiko himself.

Why's there a picture of me here...!?

As he looked at the picture, he remembered when the photo was taken. The day he entered high school was one of the rare days his mother came home. She took the photo with her PDA camera that evening.

(!! Don't tell me this is Mom's personal office!?)

Natsuhiko gasped. But as he looked at that picture, he was struck by the tremendous sense that there was something out of place.

(...!?)

Natsuhiko was sitting on the sofa alone. He remembered being confused when his mother abruptly pointed her PDA at him.

(... But something... something's not right here!)

The uncanny feeling became too much for Natsuhiko, and he averted his eyes from the photo. Only for his gaze to land on a file rack nearby. The files appeared to be organized by year. And the file labeled ''2021'' in particular--

(...!)

This wasn't the time to be snooping. But Natsuhiko reached out for the file as if entranced.

(The answer just might be in here...!)

As soon as that thought crossed his mind, he felt someone's presence.

...?

Yuuri silently tilted her head to the side. Natsuhiko interrogated her.

Did you send me into this room because you knew about this!?
Did I send you...? No, Hikorin, you chose this room yourself.
...? What do you mean?
We came into this room nine years ago too, didn't we? To escape the fire and the smoke...
...!
You couldn't find a card back then. But this time, you can find one for sure.
How do you know that!?
You just overlooked it. You should already know where the card is, Hikorin.

Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko as she spoke.

Look for it... and escape with Mashiron.
With Mashiro...? What about you, Yuuri?
I can't go with you.
Why not!?
Haven't you realized it already?

Yuuri smiled a lonely smile.

(... What does she mean? I already know... the reason?)

But gradually, Natsuhiko began to notice. The sights he saw, the sounds he heard, and the feelings he felt-- All the memories he was recollecting were approaching the present. The recollections and the present were about to overlap temporally. Natsuhiko's watch began to move again, as if to press him to move as well. --The date display said ''9/16''. The hands pointed to ''3:19'' today.

...Hikorin, try to remember what it was you saw and heard today. For the truth lies in those observations...

And with Yuuri's whisper-- --Natsuhiko's consciousness went back four hours in time.

And thus, we go back in time once more. Revelations are coming out in rapid fire, and there is still quite a lot of truth to be discovered. Get ready for some poo poo, folks.

There will be no voting for the rest of Route Before, as there are no more Senses inputs beyond the final friendship scenes. We're just going to keep pressing on until the end.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Since a lot has happened, does anyone have a summary of what happened so far?

I don't want to refresh myself on Wikipedia due to spoilers.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SystemLogoff posted:

Since a lot has happened, does anyone have a summary of what happened so far?

I don't want to refresh myself on Wikipedia due to spoilers.

Well, there is really a lot that has happened. From about when do you want a summary from - i.E. what was the last thing you read?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just for this route, I've been reading all of it but I feel like I've forgot some of the key events that happened. If it's any trouble don't worry about it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SystemLogoff posted:

Just for this route, I've been reading all of it but I feel like I've forgot some of the key events that happened. If it's any trouble don't worry about it.

Well, I'm recording footage right now, so I'll have some time to type something up while it's rendering.

Or maybe somebody will have done it before then, who knows.

EDIT: Footage is rendering, I'm writing a recap now.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 11, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I was hesistant to jump on the 'Yuuri is a ghost' train, but now I'm 100% on it. :10bux: says the photo seems 'off' because Yuuri's supposed to be in it alongside Natsuhiko, but the camera obviously couldn't capture ghosts.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Grand Route Before Recap: 02/11/2017, 23:20

Good evening, sports fans, and welcome to the pre-game show for the grand finale of Route Before! We're about to flash back to the early morning of September 16th, and things are really heating up! However, things have been proceeding quite quickly, and so it's only natural that one might want a bit of a recap as to what happened this route. So, let's take the same route Natsuhiko took, and see all the main things that happened. We'll be skipping over the friendship scenes and focusing on the events from the 10th to the 15th of September.

The overarching plotline

The overarching plot for Route Before is that Natsuhiko is trapped in LABO as the disaster takes place. While searching for a way out, he continually gets weird prophetic messages from Yuuri, who shouldn't be able to leave the house, but is at LABO for some reason, and he flashes back to the days before the event in order to find the truth he needs to find to survive the disaster. The events we see from September 16th are Natsuhiko seeking a way out with Mashiro, Yuuri and Salyu, and an assorted set of obstacles laid in his path. The flashbacks give him the information and strength he needs to pass these obstacles.

September 10th

September 10th was a relatively uneventful day, but it started off on a strange note, as Yuuri delivered a prophetic message to Natsuhiko during breakfast, telling him that bad things could be happening to him, and that the peace he thought so secure might crumble. Natsuhiko and Mashiro are late for school, and Mashiro uses mass untargeteted telepathy to stop the bus. At school, we learned about Beyond Communication, which was pretty much just for the reader's sake. After school, Natsuhiko and Mashiro went to town for Mashiro to buy a bunch of anime stuff. On the way home, Natsuhiko and Mashiro were witness to Ukita having a car accident and our friends at Sirius rescuing him. Afterwards, Ukita made a strange statement, saying that strange things might be happening to Natsuhiko soon. Then, back at home, we learned some things about the past of our main group. Finally, at the end of the day, Yuuri made another prophetic statement, saying that Natsuhiko will have to confront the fact that his peace will be destroyed.

September 11th

September 11th introduced us to Salyu. At school, Salyu came in as a new transfer student, and Mashiro instantly tried to make friends with her, with a surprising amount of success, given Salyu's standoffishness. We got some information about LABO during a conversation between the three before a field trip, and then we had the field trip, which went to the PRC - the Parapsychology Research Center. We learn about how Natsuhiko was never one for BC. On the way home, Mashiro and Natsuhiko stop at Rokumei Park and reminiscence. At home, things get rough as Natsuhiko's mother, Dr. Tenkawa, reveals that Salyu would be living with them now. Natsuhiko is less than happy about it, being worried about Yuuri not being able to cope with the changes. Salyu has a talk with Natsuhiko, saying how she was sent to protect him. Natsuhiko doesn't want to trust Salyu, but gets another prophetic message from Yuuri, talking about how he should trust Salyu, otherwise, he might not live to regret it.

September 12th

September 12th mainly revolved around Natsuhiko warming up to Salyu. School was about the basics of how BC really worked and how perception is a lot more fragile than it seems - how one person can be perceving the world completely differently from somebody else, and yet there'd be no way for them to tell. After school, Natsuhiko, Mashiro and Salyu went out shopping, and bought some new clothes for Salyu. During this, she opened up more to us and revealed that she cannot understand people's emotions and facial expressions, and that the stuffed animal she has is a tool to help her understand. Back at home, Mashiro prepares a grand meal, and everybody has a nice conversation about books. Natsuhiko warms up to Salyu. Finally, at the end of the day, he gets another message from Yuuri: His peaceful days won't continue, and in his troubles, he needs to treasure those he has - those being Mashiro and Salyu. During the return to September 16th in this chapter, we learn that the rescue workers Dojima and Hiyama attacked our gang on September 15th.

September 13th

The day things got awkward. It starts out well enough, with a nice breakfast and a lesson about Maxwell's Demon at school. We learn more about BC, in particular the two kinds of BC - telepathy and empathy. Still while at school, the group meets Jun, and Ukita shows up for a guest lecture about LABO and nuclear power. After the lecture, he reveals that his previous statement about strange things that might be happening to Natsuhiko were related to anti-Communicator sentiments being more powerful in recent days. During the bus ride home, Mashiro acts really strange, as if something was really bothering her, but she brushes it off. However, at home, she reveals what bugged her to Natsuhiko: She heard a terrorist talk about wanting to destroy this town, and she wants to go out and stop him. Natsuhiko is less than thrilled about this plan, and Mashiro runs out the house in a huff. At the end of the day, Yuuri gives another message: He hasn't grown to become more mature by being careful. Instead, time has been stopped for him ever since the incident at LABO nine years ago, and he needs to not abandon Mashiro in this time of need for her. If he doesn't, his time will be stopped forever.

September 14th

The day things got out of hand. The morning is very bleak with Mashiro no longer there. At school, there's a suspicious object, and everybody evacuates. Natsuhiko gets worried about Mashiro and runs off to find her. He finds her by using incredibly powerful telepathy, something he hasn't been able to do at all, and Mashiro then contacting him via e-mail and telling him where she is. The three return to school, where it turned out that the suspicious object was a false alarm, it was just a toy. Then, Mashiro runs off, basically dragging the other two behind her, to search for information regarding the terrorist plot. They find out that a lot of places around town, all related to BC in some way, have gotten objectionable literature, and security has gotten tighter as a result. We learn about the anti-Communicator terrorist group "Q", which is very dangerous and has committed a lot of terrorist acts attacking Communicators. In particular, we learn about The Great Rokumei City Arson at the ruins of the old Rokumei City hospital, and they learn that the reason Mashiro is so insistent that there's a terrorist threat is because she used empathy to hear the mental voice of the terrorist. With that, Natsuhiko is convinced.

We then return to the PRC, because as the main BC institute, it seems to be a prime target. However, there is nobody there. Our gang has a run-in with a security guard that seemed incredibly eager to get them into custody, resorting to violence to try and capture them. Salyu beats him up instead, and the three bail. Upon returning home, they learn that the security department is now on their tail because the guard Salyu beat up said that they broke into the place and attacked him. They try to run away and hide at Mashiro's house, but the security department is there as well. They flee, pursued by the security department at every corner, and finally make it to Rokumei Park, where the security camera grid isn't as tight. Salyu uses her stuffed animal, which is a computer as well, to loop footage on a security camera, allowing them to move relatively freely for a bit, and Natsuhiko and Mashiro reminiscence. Finally, they make their way to a karaoke box with lax security rules where they can spend the night, and the three grow even closer over their shared troubles and sharing their past. We learn that Salyu grew up in a gilded cage and basically only lived to acquire skills and knowledge, and that Natsuhiko's father died when he was young. Also, Natsuhiko's BC aptitude somehow went from C to S at one point, even though that should be impossible. At the end of the day, Natsuhiko calls Yuuri and gets another prophetic message: She is suspecting that Natsuhiko has been holding back his bravery and desire to save people for her sake, and that deep down, he desires to save everybody from the terrorists. That's why she just let him flee the house, even though she relied on him for support before.

September 15th

The day everything breaks down. With the security department on their tail, Natsuhiko and the gang try to find out more about the terrorists. They are accosted by Dr. Tenkawa, and Natsuhiko snaps at her for being an absentee mother, which causes her to break down in tears. Natsuhiko successfully uses empathy for the first time. Pursued by the security department, they try to get assistance from adults. Their first target, Ukita, isn't at home. Their next target, Ena, seems accepting at first and teaches them a lot about the real world - about how there is a lot of hatred towards Communicators out there, and that Rokumei City is essentially a fortress to protect Communicators. She suggests they leave things to the adults, but as they leave, Mashiro reveals that Ena was not opening her heart to them, so they cannot trust her. They then visit Jun at the fire station, who says that it seems likely that there's some sort of terrorist activity going on in the city, and that they all share the desire to protect the city, and everybody has to do what they can do to protect it. Jun is then called off on a dispatch to a fire, and Natsuhiko and the gang follow her.

The fire is at the PRC, and Mashiro uses mass untargeted telepathy to unnerve the terrorist that caused it, who turns out to be the security guard that Salyu beat up. They chase him into an alley and threaten to turn him over to the security department, which causes him to use a knife to stab himself. Natsuhiko then decides they need to turn him in to the security department and attempt to clear their name, because they can't run forever. It takes a lot of time, but eventually, the security department is convinced, and the kids are free and unpursued once more. However, the security guard was not the man Mashiro heard the mental voice of on the bus, so there's still somebody out there threatening a terrorist attack. Salyu reasons that if they want to wipe out the town's history, they could strike the nuclear reactor at LABO. Ukita shows up, having overheard their conversation, and they tell him about their idea of an attack at LABO. Natsuhiko uses empathy to see if they can trust him, and while Ukita opened his heart to them, the fact that he thought ''I can't get these kids involved too'' makes them think that Ukita might actually be the sleeper agent that Q will use to attack LABO. They try to make it to LABO, but they can't get past a security checkpoint. On the way back home, a mysterious figure starts chasing after them, and they hide in an abandoned factory. However, while Salyu can take out that figure, he has two comrades that defeat Salyu and hold Mashiro and Natsuhiko at gunpoint. It seems that Q thinks that our gang is getting too close to the truth, and now they're going to take them out. We work out that not only are Dojima and Hiyama part of Q, but Watase is as well. He knocks out Mashiro and Natsuhiko, but before Natsuhiko blacks out, he uses BC to see a fragment of Watase's past, learning that the day they plan to attack LABO is tomorrow.

Conclusion

So right now, Natsuhiko seems to be getting incredibly close to finding out a truth he doesn't want to learn, but needs to learn. Yuuri seems to have been trying to support him in finding out this truth, and has been telling him that he has gotten strong enough to handle what he will learn. We are now flashing back to the early morning of September 16th, and the flashbacks and reality are soon going to overlap. Things are getting into an incredibly hot phase, that's for sure.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh, right, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 11, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Haifisch posted:

I was hesistant to jump on the 'Yuuri is a ghost' train, but now I'm 100% on it. :10bux: says the photo seems 'off' because Yuuri's supposed to be in it alongside Natsuhiko, but the camera obviously couldn't capture ghosts.

The new question is how long has she been a ghost? From being unable to leave the house ever since that time that's been hinted at constantly I'm thinking she might be a stronger ghost than we've all been led to believe :stare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's almost certain she's some sort of ghost.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Is there any point at which Yuuri did something a ghost should not be able to do? Like, for example, did she eat at any point?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thank you, I think that covers the gaps I had in the story.

I'm looking forward to the next update.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spatula City posted:

Is there any point at which Yuuri did something a ghost should not be able to do? Like, for example, did she eat at any point?

She drinks milk, I know that.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I'm just guessing here, but this whole flashback thing is probably going to be handwaved somehow by Natsuhiko connecting to his past self's mind or something like that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I honestly thought the game would punk out about Watase being a terrorist but no it really went for it.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Sh regularly eats Mashiro's food. You could probably explain that with hallucinations.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Pollyanna posted:

She drinks milk that Natsuhiko pours out into the sink.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

THE LAST DAY: 09/16/2030, 03:19

Natsuhiko found himself on the ground. The sound of a watch echoed faintly nearby. Natsuhiko awoke to that sound.

...Ugh... Wh... where am I...?

Just how much time had passed since he had lost consciousness? As he pondered that question, he heard people groaning beside him.

...Ugh.
N... Natsuhiko?

It was Mashiro and Salyu. They had both just woken up, it seemed.

Ah, guys! Are you okay!?
Hmm... I guess I'm okay? I don't hurt anywhere, at least...
But it looks like we can't move.
Huh...?

Natsuhiko finally noticed. His hands and feet were bound by stiff rope. And on closer inspection, Mashiro and Salyu were bound in the same way.

Ah, what is this!?
I think it's to prevent us from escaping.
Mmgh...! Gh...!

No matter how much strength he put into his arms and legs, the ropes wouldn't budge.

(Dammit... We need to free ourselves and stop those guys...!)

As if in response to Natsuhiko's impatience, a strained cry echoed out from the darkness.

Alice: Kyuu~...!
Ah, they didn't break Alice... Thank goodness.
Alice, over here.

Alice ran over to Salyu as if in response to her voice.

...Hmm, wait. Alice can walk on her own?
It's a simple feature, but yes. She can walk in accordance to voice commands or by inputting route data.
I see...! Then can we get Alice to bring us something we can use to cut the ropes?
Ah, didn't think of that.

After looking around, they spotted some glass shards scattered on the ground beneath the window.

Okay, Alice. Start command. Go forward 15 m, pick up the glass shard there, and return to current position. End command.
Alice: Kyuu!

Alice responded confidently and headed to the window. She spent a moment there looking for the object Salyu commanded her to find-- --and eventually, she came back with a shard of glass in her mouth.

You did it! Good girl, Alice!

Natsuhiko twisted himself around to take the glass shard from Alice.

Hang on a second guys, I'll get myself free so I can out your ropes...

Natsuhiko pressed the rope against the shard as hard as he could-- --and somehow, he managed to cut his hands and feet free of the rope.

All right!

He then he cut Mashiro and Salyu free too.

Thank you, Natsuhiko.

The girls also appeared to be uninjured after all. Apparently the terrorist's goal here was only to entrap the kids and nothing more.

...But still, I do not understand the terrorists' intentions. There shouldn't have been any point in leaving us alive...
No, their target is LABO, after all. They were probably afraid they'd draw too much attention if they killed us.
How can you tell?
I heard it from them directly. From their mental voices, that is.
You heard their mental voices? With empathy?
Yeah, probably...

Even though he thought it was empathy, something still felt off about it to Natsuhiko. The ability Natsuhiko activated right before he fainted-- seemed a little different from empathy. Not only did he hear a voice, but he also saw a vision. Was that still empathy? But then he recalled the words he had once heard Ena say.

Who knows? One day you may find a third ability beyond that of telepathy or empathy.

That was a possibility. Natsuhiko's BC ability was rapidly growing these last few days. Though he had yet to master either telepathy or empathy, he had become able to use both abilities within just a few days.

(Could it really be...?)

But there was no time to stop and consider the possibility. Right now, the information he gained from that ability was far more important than the ability itself.

...Anyway, according to their mental voices, it looks like it's true that they're targeting LABO. And to make matters worse, D-day is today...!
Today!? Th-then we gotta stop them!
But how? Even if we report it to the authorities, we likely won't get any different results than yesterday.
That's for sure...!

Even if they explained everything to the security department and the police, it seemed highly unlikely that they'd make it in time. Natsuhiko silently pondered.

(Should we go directly to LABO and tip them off there...?)

But that would be dangerous. There was a high probability that Q had a sleeper agent there. They could very well wind up caught in the terrorist attack themselves. That would almost certainly get them killed--!

(... In that case... Shouldn't we run for it as soon as possible...?)

He could bring Mashiro and Salyu straight home so they could take Yuuri out of the city. That seemed to be the most proper course of action to him. It would be a different story if it were just him, but there was no way he could expose the girls to danger. However--

(But then I'd be abandoning all the people in town. Is it okay to ignore all the people we don't know...?)

He always had. That was what Natsuhiko's life had taught him. He didn't care about the the fires, the accidents, or the violent events he saw on the news on TV. They had nothing to do with him at all. They weren't important. Pretty much the only people important to him were himself, Yuuri, and perhaps Mashiro and Salyu too. That's what he had always thought... But in the back of his mind, he thought about all those people in town who had ''nothing to do with him at all''. The classmates he had associated with at a distance. The childhood friends who had left him after learning he was a Communicator. And Ena, who would not open her heart to them.

(... Dammit, what does that all even matter? If the nuclear reactor melts down, everyone will die, won't they? This town will become uninhabitable, won't it? Which means that the obvious choice of action is to prioritize our own escape, isn 't it...!?)

But right then, suddenly-- The memories of various statements Natsuhiko had heard recently came echoing back into his mind.

(...!)

And then, Natsuhiko realized. Even if they tried to escape now, that wouldn't necessarily mean they could.

(Even residents need to go through strict checks and procedures to come in and out of the city... Can I still take Yuuri out of the city despite that?)

It seemed difficult. He could go to LABO or he could try to escape. They were in danger regardless. In that case--

(I should go to LABO...!)

Natsuhiko surprised himself with the conclusion he came to. But his convictions only grew stronger. Nine years ago, Natsuhiko and Yuuri went to LABO and got into an accident. The fear he felt that fateful day had yet to fade. He might face death once more. He might lose something precious. But that was no reason to stop.

(I have to go, don't I, Yuuri...? Or else I'll never be able to overcome the past.)

As soon as that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, Mashiro gasped.

...Natsuhiko, don't tell me... You're not planning on going to LABO right now, are you?
!?

Both Natsuhiko and Salyu's eyes opened wide at those words.

How did you!?
Did you use empathy?
I can tell even without using it... We've been together for so long, after all.
(I see... there's no hiding it from Mashiro, huh...)

Natsuhiko answered her with a smile of resignation.

...Say, Mashiro. I finally understand how you felt three nights ago.
Huh?
Nobody in the whole town knows that a terrorist attack will happen at LABO today besides us. This situation... kind of makes you feel a sense of obligation, doesn't it?
...If I don't do something, the city's good as gone. This isn't some event happening on the other side of the TV. This has everything to do with us-- So I really do have to go.

He had thought that by avoiding danger, he could live in peace. But no matter how much he'd try to avoid the danger, his peace would crumble. And as Natsuhiko finally realized that, Salyu softly spoke up.

...Even if you go to LABO, you might not be able to do anything. Even if you warn the security officials, there's a high possibility that they won't believe you.
But if I don't go, I'm sure I'll regret it. I don't want to have any more regrets.

Natsuhiko had built up countless regrets prior to today. Countless times he thought ''If only we hadn't gone to LABO that day...''. But now it was the opposite. He would regret it if he didn't go to LABO.

Then we'll come too--
No, there's no need for you two to come. I'll be fine by myself.
Then what do we do?
I've got a favor to ask. Go home right away and take Yuuri as far away as possible.
Make her come with you, even if she screams and cries. In case the worst happens...!

Natsuhiko looked the girls in the eye. But Mashiro-- Mashiro glared back at him.

...Don't give me that. You expect me to go home now, after all we've been through, just because you tell me to?
Huh...?
Nine years ago, you and Yuuri got into an accident at LABO, didn't you? Do you have any idea how it felt for me? I regretted not stopping you so badly that I wanted to die. Not even you can be dense enough to not realize that, can you?
...!
Even now I want to stop you... If we're going to run away, then I want you to run away with us! But there's no stopping you, is there, Natsuhiko? You won't give up on going to LABO no matter what, will you!? It's the same as nine years ago!
So in that case... In that case, at least let me go with you. You say you don't want to have any more regrets? Well neither do I...!

Mashiro's voice was trembling. Those were probably words that Mashiro had kept locked inside her heart for years.

But Mashiro, that's still...!

When Natsuhiko still persisted on stopping Mashiro from joining him, Salyu sighed and spoke up.

I agree with Mashiro. Nothing we say can stop you, Natsuhiko.
Huh?
You always say you're trying to avoid danger, but whenever it involves Mashiro or Yuuri, you break that oath all too easily.
N-no, that's, well...
That contradictory demeanor of yours is unmanageable. I've become painfully aware of that these past few days. Since it's pointless to stop you, you leave me no choice. I'll go with you too.

Natsuhiko gasped at those words.

H-hey, what are you saying!? Were you not listening?
Y-yeah, it's going to be dangerous, you know!? I have a 9-year score to settle, but why do you have to come with us too, Salyu?
No, it's actually only obvious that I go. If you two go to LABO alone, you'll have no way to deal with the terrorists if you come across them. Am I wrong?
Mmph...
Well, true, but... the terrorists were able to KO you last night, weren't they...?
That's right. My regret is last night. If I had defeated them, we wouldn't be having this much of a problem now. So I'm going too. End of discussion. You cannot change my mind. Besides, above all else-- my duty is to protect you, Natsuhiko.

Salyu spoke in one breath. In the same, level-headed tone she used when they had first met. But between the lines, Mashiro and Natsuhiko could tell that she was worried about them.

Aagh, geez... How can you two be so stubborn...!?

Mashiro and Salyu threw Natsuhiko's vitriol back at him.

I don't want to hear it from you, Natsuhiko. The three of us just have the same idea in mind.
Total agreement.

Natsuhiko smiled wryly at their words.

(I guess there's no stopping you two either, huh...!)

He was headed towards a terrorist target with two girls as his only allies. It was quite an absurd proposition and an extremely dangerous one at that. And yet Natsuhiko was starting to feel that he was okay with it.

(Dammit, why...? My fear from 9 years ago hadn't faded after all those years... So why is it only softening now that I know I've got these two by my side?)

He was beginning to understand how Mashiro felt more and more. How the simple notion that he was not alone was so encouraging. Natsuhiko grinned at the girls and spoke in a deliberately cheerful voice.

...Okay, okay, you win, guys! I concede!
Natsuhiko, you mean!?
I can't waste any time arguing here, so I've got no choice but to take you two with me!
...Hey, what's with the attitude!?
You're weaker than me, you know...
Hahah, you got me there!

Though he was laughing, Natsuhiko swore to himself. That no matter what happened from here on out, he'd protect these two. He was physically weaker than Salyu, and he was less skilled with BC than Mashiro. So protecting them was the only way he could repay them for the courage they provided him.

...Okay, then. Ready, guys?
Roger.
Mmm, I'm ready to go when you are.
Let's go, to protect the city...!

The kids nodded at each other and dashed off.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SET FORTH: 09/16/2030, 04:00

Eventually, they saw the inspection gate that led to LABO. But just as they had suspected-- there was a traffic inspector there.

That's right... of course it'd be guarded even through the night and at dawn.
Should we talk to him...?
It would probably end up a repeat of last night. So let's break through.
Break through!?
I'll provide a diversion. You two take that opportunity to slip through. Once you get through the inspection gate, run for a while and then wait for me. I promise I'll catch up.
All right...

After receiving confirmation from Natsuhiko, Salyu headed straight for the front of the inspection gate.

Okay... Let's go, Mashiro.
Yeah!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro hid beside the inspection gate for now. Eventually, they heard the traffic inspector call for Salyu to stop.

Huh?
Traffic Inspector: Where do you think you're going so early in the morning?

When the traffic inspector began his interrogation, Salyu answered in a feeble voice.

Umm... Daddy got drunk and went on a rampage at home... so I had to run away...
Traffic Inspector: What...?
(What!?)

The traffic inspector was caught off guard, but Natsuhiko was completely shocked. Apparently Salyu was doing improv to distract the traffic inspector. The traffic inspector completely fell for it as he listened intently to her story.

Traffic Inspector: Y-you poor thing...
I'm a stepchild... so Mommy won't help me, either.

Mashiro whispered in disbelief as to what she was hearing.

I didn't know Salyu could pull that off...
Yeah... the story's so cliched it hurts, but it sure looks like it's working, huh.

As they peeked at him from under cover, they could tell the traffic inspector was completely focused on Salyu. He didn't seem to be aware of their presence at all.

Now's our chance. Let's go, Natsuhiko.
Yeah!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro took that chance to jump out of cover-- They slid into the traffic inspector's blind spot and slipped through the gate.

They could hear Salyu's conversation from behind. But their voices faded into the distance before long.

W-will Salyu be okay...?

Mashiro stopped and whispered after they had run for a while.

I think so... Anyway, let's wait for now.

Natsuhiko stopped and pondered.

(She told us to wait... but how exactly does Salyu plan to catch up with us?)

After they waited and pondered that question for a while--

Sorry for the wait.
Wah! Salyu!?
Huh? How did you catch up?
After a simple back and forth with the traffic inspector, I went down to the lower road and climbed the pillar underneath the overpass.

Mashiro and Natsuhiko timidly responded to Salyu's matter-of-fact explanation.

Salyu... are you a ninja?
I trained in ninjutsu for about three years. I'm still inexperienced, but I can at least use the 'Ninja Fire Breath Jutsu'--
Y-you can!?
I cannot. That was a joke.
Oh.

:allears: Have I said that Salyu is the best character yet? I think I have. Still, Salyu is the best character.

Mashiro's shoulders plopped down.

Why do you know the name of a ninjutsu skill?
It was in a sci-fi novel I read. The novel itself was boring, though. ...Ever since I met you guys, I've been trying to find my own ways to fit in with other people. That joke and the acting back there were some of those ways. How were they?
The joke was a little... should I say, high brow?
But the acting was top notch. Even we were amazed.
...I see.

Salyu smiled at their answer. Natsuhiko and Mashiro returned the smile, and they were back to running. To the other end of the overpass. To LABO.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DAYBREAK: 09/16/2030, 05:00

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

A direct 10 km path without any forks or exits. Their footsteps echoed through the overwhelming silence. Eventually, Salyu looked to the side of the street and whispered.

Natsuhiko, another camera.

Okay, then, Salyu, if you will.
Understood. Wait just a bit.

Salyu softly stepped toward the surveillance camera post and connected Alice. They had already neutralized seven cameras like this.

...We've already been walking for about an hour, huh? We're still about halfway, huh. Think we should hurry it up a bit?
No, let's slow down the pace. We'll get there even later if we use up all our stamina.

Salyu returned as Natsuhiko finished speaking.

Natsuhiko, Mashiro, I'm done.
Good. Salyu, let's walk from here on.
That would be wise. Judging by the state the inspection gate was in, I don't believe the terrorists have started heading to LABO yet.

The kids walked off into the silence once more. A sense of loneliness overcame them, as if they had walked into a world all their own.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm, what?
You said we were going to go directly to LABO and tell them about the existence of a sleeper agent, but who exactly do you intend to tell? The security guards could secretly be criminals too like what happened with the PRC, right?
...!

That indeed was a possibility. The sleeper agent might not be Ukita. There might also be more than one.

Guess we've got no choice but to use empathy and look for someone we can trust...

Once Natsuhiko said that, Salyu quietly spoke up.

No... I think we should go see Dr. Tenkawa.
Why Mom? She didn't listen to us yesterday, remember? There's a high possibility she won't take us seriously again.
I know.
She's selfish. She doesn't listen to me... She never has.
So why Mom? I can't rely on her for--
You should still believe in her, Natsuhiko.

Salyu interrupted. She spoke in a tone that wouldn't take no for an answer.

...Huh?
The professor does worry about you, Natsuhiko. You just don't realize how much she does. Have you forgotten? The reason I was given the duty to protect you was because of the professor's orders to begin with.
!

Now that she mentioned it, that was true. He should've known that for days. Ever since Salyu had come to the house. And yet--

Judging by that point alone, the professor must deeply worry about your safety. Am I wrong?
B-but why would Mom do something like that...?
I haven't heard the detailed circumstances myself. But this is what the professor told me right before I arrived at the Tenkawa residence: 'Not even the strongest fortification can guarantee perfect safety. This town has several holes. As a Rank S Aptitude Communicator, Natsuhiko is at a higher risk of danger than other Communicators. But I cannot stay with him at all times. So I want you to protect Natsuhiko for me, Yui.'
Mom said that...?

It was hard to believe at first-- but part of it sounded familiar.

(Then you mean... that's what that voice meant?)

The mental voice he had heard from his mother yesterday. ''I knew it. He hates me. But until all the work is complete, it'd be best if I avoided him...'' Natsuhiko was rendered speechless as Salyu continued.

...The professor said this too. 'Both Natsuhiko's mind and yours are lacking in some areas. But that's exactly why you can complete each other. I have high hopes for you, Yui. Hopes that you can give Natsuhiko what I cannot. Hopes that Natsuhiko can give you what I cannot.' ...I didn't quite understand what she meant when she said that. But now I feel like I understand. Ever since I met you and became friends with Mashiro, I've gained so many things. The professor did not lie. So I believe in her.

Natsuhiko gazed at Salyu. Her firm expression somewhat resembled his mother's. Mashiro quietly spoke up as well.

...Natsuhiko, what Salyu's saying is true.
Huh?
You see, the professor's -always- thinking about you. Besides, it was the professor who asked me to come by and make food for you, remember?
You're right, she was...!
The professor thought that you needed a 'family' to be with you in that empty house in her stead. Because if you and Yuuri were left along amongst yourselves, your emotional scars would only deepen. ...I'm sure that was her intention behind arranging for Salyu to live in the Tenkawa residence as well.
...!

Natsuhiko was taken aback. He realized that the three residents in the Tenkawa household-- Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and finally, Salyu-- all had one thing in common. And that was the lack of deep familial bonds. They knew not the warmth of a family.

(... Is that what she meant by us completing each other...!?)

The moment he came to that realization, all doubts in his mind melted away. Why his mother had taken custody of Yuuri. Why she brought Salyu to their home. Why she had ordered Salyu to protect him. It all tied back to that single intention his mother had.

(... ... Why, Mom? Why haven't you ever said a word about this...!?)

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

It was a ''Salvia'' branded watch. It was a gift his mom had given him in the distant past. The memory of when he had received that watch rose up in Natsuhiko's heart. How many years ago was it?

(That's right... It was when I was 5... Right after Dad died.)

Even after her beloved husband had died from illness, she showed no tears to her son, but a soft smile instead. And once things had calmed down after the funeral, Natsuhiko's mother gently spoke to her son who had yet to stop crying.

Natsuhiko, I'm giving you this watch.
Huh...? Watch?
It was your father's watch. I gave this watch to him when we were young, and he wore it every day until his last...

It was a memento of his father. The mother changed the strap and fastened it to her son's wrist.

I also have a letter your father wrote for you...

And with that, she handed Natsuhiko a letter. The letter was written in simple hiragana so that Natsuhiko could read it at his age.

The handwriting was terribly rough, perhaps because it was written when his father was in his sickbed. Seeing the disheveled letters made him want to cry again-- But Natsuhiko desperately held in his tears. As he held tightly onto the letter with quivering hands, his mother gently embraced him.

...Your father is always with you. And I am too. I always will be...

There were tears in her eyes as she said that.

...Mom, why are you crying? Even if Dad's gone, I'm here for you... So don't cry.

The professor nodded and softly closed her eyes. The first tears he ever saw his mother cry quietly spilled down to the floor with a faint sound.

Shortly after his father's death, his mother began working day and night as if to distract herself from the sadness. She came home less and less. His father told him to protect his mother, but Natsuhiko came to think that his mother was someone who could live on her own. Eventually, Natsuhiko put the letter away inside his desk and sealed the once-precious memory away inside his mind, seldom to be recalled again--

(... But that's why I've always used this watch, isn't it?)

Tips posted:

TIP: Natsuhiko's watch
Category: Fiction

A Salvia-branded watch that Miyoko once gave to Shun as a present. Upon Shun's death, he had Miyoko give Natsuhiko the watch along with a letter he wrote.

Though it is a chronograph furnished with a stopwatch function, it uses a self-winding mechanism to charge a (battery-powered) quartz oscillator, so both the watch itself and its Salvia brand are nothing eye—catching in particular.

Regardless, the reason Miyoko gave this watch to Shun was that the brand name Salvia was the name of a flower. Salvia is a type of sage. A sage can also mean a wise man. Salvia has a wide variety of meanings in the language of flowers: respect, burning passion, my heart burns, love, wisdom, chastity, familial love, everything is all right.

A gift imbued with a hidden meaning in the language of flowers that wasn't actual flowers, but something practical instead... Ever since he was young, the watch has reminded Natsuhiko of how his mother never backed down as a woman, nor as a scientist. The thought always brings a wry smile to his face.

Natsuhiko always carried the symbol of the bond he had with his parents. Natsuhiko could feel the misgivings his heart held against his mother quietly begin to unravel. But obviously, even if he did see her soon, it wasn't as if they could return to a normal parent-child relationship that quickly. But even so--

...Let's go see Mom.

Salyu and Mashiro silently nodded at the notion. Nobody in town was on their side. Not the city, nor the police, nor the school.

(But my mother, my own flesh and blood...)

That thought was their last hope.

As long as she's on our side, there's nobody more reassuring than Mom.
True. After all, she's top brass at LABO, and a world class physicist, too.
Yes. Not even I can win against her.

The three kids smiled at each other. That definite glimmer of hope was enough to raise their courage up a notch.

...But how do we meet up with the professor? They said they were strengthening security, so don't you think it would be hard to get inside the building? According to the rumors, LABO's security guards are ex-JSDF soldiers equipped with rubber bullet machine guns.
That reminds me. Mr. Ukita said that LABO had permission to possess security measures beyond the law, didn't he?
Then do we infiltrate from a back entrance? Such a large facility has a high probability of having several entrances.

Natsuhiko pondered that question for a while.

...No, let's go in directly from the front.
Huh?
If the sleeper agent is a security guard, then sneaking in would actually be more risky. There's the danger they could bring us somewhere out of sight and finish us off there. But if we walk in fair and square through the front door, we'll attract a lot of eyes. It'll make it difficult for the enemy to interfere with us that way.
But if the security guards aren't sleeper agents, then wouldn't it only be obvious that they'd apprehend us?
No problem. If we get them to take us to Mom, then that'll still fulfill our goal.
...True... but isn't that still too much of a gamble?
Yeah. It's a gamble. But it's probably our safest bet... and the route most aligned with justice. What hero of justice sneaks in through the back door? A lame hero, that's what.

Mashiro stared in blank amazement at Natsuhiko's broad grin.

N-Natsuhiko, aren't you acting... a bit differently from how you usually do?
What, have you forgotten, Mashiro? Well, guess I can't blame you since it's been nine whole years-- But this is how I used to be, isn't it?

Mashiro's face lit up like the sun at those words.

...That's it, Natsuhiko! Those were the words I've been waiting for!
Okay, so no problems going through the front then, right guys!?
That certainly does seem like the most rational idea.
Yeah!

The three of them smiled at each other. And they gazed at the end of the long road.

As if each of the three stars symbolized them--

(Yeah, this sort of thing happened before, didn't it...)

Natsuhiko abruptly recalled an event from his past. --When he was young, Natsuhiko wanted to be a hero of justice. And in an attempt to get even the slightest bit closer to that goal, he ran all around town with complete disregard for danger. But because of his actions, Yuuri got hurt.

(That was when time stopped for me, wasn't it...)

He had always thought that it didn't matter to him. If his frail sense of justice hurt others, then he was better off not doing anything.

(But... it's not like that now. I swear I'll protect everyone and everything this time.)

Natsuhiko walked with that conviction in his heart. Eventually, as the stars faded away to give rise to the light of day-- They found their destination just a short distance away.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

TIP: Natsuhiko's watch
Category: Fiction

A Salvia-branded watch that Miyoko once gave to Shun as a present. Upon Shun's death, he had Miyoko give Natsuhiko the watch along with a letter he wrote.

Though it is a chronograph furnished with a stopwatch function, it uses a self-winding mechanism to charge a (battery-powered) quartz oscillator, so both the watch itself and its Salvia brand are nothing eye—catching in particular.

Regardless, the reason Miyoko gave this watch to Shun was that the brand name Salvia was the name of a flower. Salvia is a type of sage. A sage can also mean a wise man. Salvia has a wide variety of meanings in the language of flowers: respect, burning passion, my heart burns, love, wisdom, chastity, familial love, everything is all right.

A gift imbued with a hidden meaning in the language of flowers that wasn't actual flowers, but something practical instead... Ever since he was young, the watch has reminded Natsuhiko of how his mother never backed down as a woman, nor as a scientist. The thought always brings a wry smile to his face.

I know what they were going for, but this is pretty hilarious in light of what salvia is most well known for these days.

• Locked thread