Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
there's been a couple ai mods posted. is there any consensus about the "best" one? I'm a bit wary of sinking a bunch of time into a game with one enabled to find out that it goes wacky and stupid half way through or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best is the combination of ai mods that does what you want. A lot of them just add or remove a specific trait like defensive. The big ones are likely to have some function you dont want. I much prefer them divided up into single mods

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Shogun 2 you could agitate for rebellion and then sweep in on a "peacekeeping mission" and steal the territory, that was fun. I'm fine with agents in Warhammer aside from the movement blockers, who can burn in loving hell. Assassins are bad too but I don't experience that as much,

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
assassins were not a big deal when generals were mostly randomly generated, although they were pretty dumb. now that characters have a bunch of levels and take effort to skill up, permanently losing them to a bad beat is very garbage.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My biggest beef is that physically moving them around is tedious and easily forgettable. It also kinda sucks having to spec for battle or campaign layers, though that applies to lords too. It'd be cool for them to participate and level up in both areas equally.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Just noticed this game was $12 bucks if you sign up for the Humble Monthly deal. I've been eyeing it since release. If I thought Medieval 2 was the last TW game worth a poo poo, will I enjoy this one? I'm pretty neutral on the WH universe but the setting looks awesome for this kind of game.

It looks pretty fun but if it plays too much like Empire, Shogun or Rome 2 then I can't see myself sticking with it for long.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It is probably the best TW game in a long time, and it has a fair amount of variation to it thanks to the differences between the factions (both on the campaign map and in battle). Magic mixes things up a bit, and poo poo like flying units and monsters are awesome.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Just noticed this game was $12 bucks if you sign up for the Humble Monthly deal. I've been eyeing it since release. If I thought Medieval 2 was the last TW game worth a poo poo, will I enjoy this one? I'm pretty neutral on the WH universe but the setting looks awesome for this kind of game.

It looks pretty fun but if it plays too much like Empire, Shogun or Rome 2 then I can't see myself sticking with it for long.

I had Karl Franz (Empire legendary lord) slam into a giant so hard he killed him and the animation made it look like the giant siezed the griffon in his gangly arms and suplexed him down this steep rear end hill.

Dwarven artillery firing at goblins on a wall and causing a literal hail of goblin corpses that were getting propelled from their perch in the foreground into the courtyard where more fighting raged.

There was a desperate siege defense I had where the only surviving Dwarf was a Thane with a pixel of health that finished off the last Chaos Spawn in the town square.

So many cool moments in this game, you should check it out.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

12 dollars is an absolute steal for this game.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Also, soon the game will be able to be filled with interesting, fun, unique custom maps. It really is going to get insane replayability out of allowing every area of the map to be a unique custom area.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Lassitude posted:

Also, soon the game will be able to be filled with interesting, fun, unique custom maps. It really is going to get insane replayability out of allowing every area of the map to be a unique custom area.

You just know there will be people making "lore-friendly" Karak maps, AKA "unassailable fortress of ultimate defense" which whilst lore accurate is not how they are portrayed in the game for a reason. So, great if you own the place, but means you can only use auto resolve to capture them.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ive always thought it was silly looking that all the dwarf sieges are underground when the world map shows these big fortresses above ground

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've never fought a defensive city battle.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Stephen9001 posted:

You just know there will be people making "lore-friendly" Karak maps, AKA "unassailable fortress of ultimate defense" which whilst lore accurate is not how they are portrayed in the game for a reason. So, great if you own the place, but means you can only use auto resolve to capture them.

This is a thing dummies do. Soon the quality poo poo will float to the surface and we'll have Karak maps which feature several bridges and etc.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

the answer is that it's twelve loving dollars man

even if your opinions are bad

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lassitude posted:

This is a thing dummies do. Soon the quality poo poo will float to the surface and we'll have Karak maps which feature several bridges and etc.

Hopefully. Unique capitals/key locations and some variations on wood elf outposts would be the most important, I'd think. Fighting on that exact same outpost map gets old fast. I can't wait to see what people come up with. Also, there's no reason people couldn't play with the garrison values for various custom maps too: Karak might end up more naturally defensible, but with a smaller/weaker garrison to compensate, or vice versa.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

I've never fought a defensive city battle.

It's awesome.

Is there a mod specifically tuned to alter the campaign AI to do siege battles even when it doesn't overpower the defending forces by six to one on the autoresolve button?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

the answer is that it's twelve loving dollars man

even if your opinions are bad

:shrug: Yea it's cheap but why buy it if I won't want to play it you know? The real time battles look cool as hell but if the campaign portion is the same boring grind as Empire and beyond I'd rather just skip it. Any good LPs that aren't also horrible insufferable grinds where I can get a feel for it?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the campaign portion in empire was worse than in WH, imo

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

:shrug: Yea it's cheap but why buy it if I won't want to play it you know? The real time battles look cool as hell but if the campaign portion is the same boring grind as Empire and beyond I'd rather just skip it. Any good LPs that aren't also horrible insufferable grinds where I can get a feel for it?

Warhammer has a fairly streamlined campaign pacing that's intended to get you to spend more time fighting cool battles instead of micro-managing trade tariffs and sewer systems. It's not perfect but it's definitely less of a grind than pretty much any of the recent TW games. Also the end turn wait time is super fast, which helps a lot.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Warhammer has a fairly streamlined campaign pacing that's intended to get you to spend more time fighting cool battles instead of micro-managing trade tariffs and sewer systems. It's not perfect but it's definitely less of a grind than pretty much any of the recent TW games. Also the end turn wait time is super fast, which helps a lot.

That sounds perfect actually. Battles are cool and good and if they designed it to facilitate more battles then that is also cool and good. Gonna buy it, thanks!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Are there any good custom maps circulating yet?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuVEIVIf5bE

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Map customization can make abilities like Strider a lot more useful. Right now there's not enough terrain for Strider units to really benefit, but in a map that was like 90% bog or something that strider unit will be able to chase down a lot of units.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

The same dude who made that map also made a dwarf version of it called Karak Quest!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858927811&searchtext=

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought it for the 12 bucks mentioned before, do I need any of the hundreds of DLC add-ons?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ekuNNN posted:

I bought it for the 12 bucks mentioned before, do I need any of the hundreds of DLC add-ons?

I recommend getting them, but they are by no means necessary, the vanilla game is excellent and with a good amount of content. Try it and maybe get them later if you like it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nah, only pick up dlc if you're interested in playing as the units/races in that pack. That said, King & the Warlord has two very fun and very different starting spots, with a bunch of useful units. Also there's a few free DLC packs you have to opt in to.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So do those other races show up as enemies if you dont get the DLC? Thats what I was mostly wondering about. Would be lame to play through a campaign with half the possible opponents missing.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They do. (for better or for worse, having to fight wood elves who have blobbed over half the map is pretty lame as well)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nah, everyone shows up to the party regardless of the DLC you own. Buying the packs just lets you play as them.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool, thanks! :sun:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Kainser posted:

They do. (for better or for worse, having to fight wood elves who have blobbed over half the map is pretty lame as well)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=839755799

There's a mod that makes all wood elf leaders have the Defensive trait, so they mainly just maintain their own territories and don't really expand. It helps a lot.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I started an Orc campaign and the dwarves are just destroying me. Like 550 to 100 losses against their base units.

I'm only 35ish turns in. Does this change around when I get my T2 units? or is attacking them head on in a shield wall not the ideal method to kill them. I'm front loading my armies with Orc Boyz with some backline Orc Arrer Boyz and Goblin Rock Throwers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dwarves can take basically anyone in a straight up, head on fight, so you gotta' do some sneaky stabbin'. Run some spear goblins, march your boyz in first, have your gobbos peel off, around, and behind the dwarves to gently caress their morale. You're going to want to get them to break as fast as you can. Holding them in combat from the front and ramming them from behind with something is called Hammer and Anvil, and if you can't beat something through other means, it basically always works.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You NEED ap versus dwarves. Big 'Uns, Boar Boyz and and Sneaky Stabbin'. Black Orks when you get them.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What mods are people doing for Kraka Drak games? I've wanted to do a Kraka Drak game for a while now, but all the dwarf faction unlockers I've seen either make significant gameplay changes, or are so outdated that they no longer function.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, Kraka Drak is pretty fun without the unlocker. Nobody fucks with you except for the Norscan tribes, really.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

jokes posted:

Honestly, Kraka Drak is pretty fun without the unlocker. Nobody fucks with you except for the Norscan tribes, really.

How would you even play them without an unlocker - migrate up there and abandon the Silver Road provinces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I use lokerians modular factions, as far as I know all it does, aside from the unlocks, is it gives events and grudges and crap

• Locked thread