Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I fear the day when hand axes, javelins and wind swords make their appearance.

The Fates version of those weapons are really bad, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

cpaf posted:

Also on a related note, units won't keep their IV bonus from merging after you increase their rarity, so it's probably a pretty big waste to merge any unit before they're 5*

People keep saying this, but the logic makes almost no sense. Unless you're planning on using another 20,000 feathers to upgrade another 5* unit just for fusing, which is possibly the stupidest/most whale thing ever, it doesn't matter anyway. You can either throw away the extra 4* for immediate feathers, or fuse them for an identical feather discount + a small stat boost on your 4* unit. Or just think of the extra as an opportunity to reroll their IVs before you choose which to upgrade. At no point does saving up an extra copy of a 4* character help you merge with a 5* character. What exactly are you wasting?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Plus I mean, unless the character is someone who gets a huge bonus for leaping to 5* you might not even bother. Someone like Peri is fine at 4*, save those 20,000 feathers for if you ever pull a 4* marth or similar character that gets a unique 5* weapon.

Anyway, I got the +80% EXP castle and life is good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

Unless you're planning on using another 20,000 feathers to upgrade another 5* unit just for fusing, which is possibly the stupidest/most whale thing ever, it doesn't matter anyway.

The rate they're giving out feathers this isn't such a big deal.

You can only run 4 unit squads so if you've got the chance to make your most OP dudes even more OP you should take it.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Alright, so I was having a really lucky day, decided to drop some money in hopes of getting Lyn. Got her :toot:

Now I'm not sure who I should buff to 5*. I was going to buff Tiki (older) or Henry, but now that I have a good 5* red unit at my disposal, I'm thinking Fae to round out my A-team. On the other hand, you can pull Fae as a 5*, whereas you can't pull Tiki or Henry, so I'm not sure what to do. I also have Nino and Cherche as 4* green options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sassassin posted:

You're an insane person.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

You can only run 4 unit squads so if you've got the chance to make your most OP dudes even more OP you should take it.

Even assuming you regularly do it once a month, spending 20k feathers to maybe give someone +1 HP still doesn't strike me as worth it when you can be saving those feathers for newer characters who might benefit from Power Creep. Or even just expand your roster of 5* characters to help you react to the meta. Maybe if you had a reliable source of that character and managed to eventually give them +10 levels or something, but it just strikes me as infinitely more wasteful than fusing at 4*.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I rolled a Lyn, turns out she was +DEF. This has turned out to actually be pretty awesome, as at level 40 she has 30 def, which is enough to do a basic level of tanking, and since her malus is res, it does indeed only make her more awesome in sword duels.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

sassassin posted:

+ levels are for whales, it costs 200k feathers to go to 10

you will stop at like +2 or 3 on one character who will be outdated a few weeks later anyway and realize you wasted a shitload of feathers and you're a moron

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

People keep saying this, but the logic makes almost no sense. Unless you're planning on using another 20,000 feathers to upgrade another 5* unit just for fusing, which is possibly the stupidest/most whale thing ever, it doesn't matter anyway. You can either throw away the extra 4* for immediate feathers, or fuse them for an identical feather discount + a small stat boost on your 4* unit. Or just think of the extra as an opportunity to reroll their IVs before you choose which to upgrade. At no point does saving up an extra copy of a 4* character help you merge with a 5* character. What exactly are you wasting?

Actually, the logic makes perfect sense from a min/maxing perspective, it's just ridiculous because feather costs are so oppressive right now. Supposing that this game follows the path of every other gacha ever made, currencies such as feathers which seem ridiculous now may be far more common in the future with the release of new game modes/features/events etc. Considering that IV totals are figured into the Arena point calculations, increasing the stat totals of your units is the best possible way to get into the top tiers of arena. Merging units that are less than 5* makes no sense from this perspective.

Basically what I'm saying is it isn't criminal to merge at 4*, but in a few weeks or months we might be drowning in feathers for whatever reason and suddenly you've wasted the Olivia you got from the free hero rotation (who you can't get again) because you sold her for 5 feathers or merged her at 4*

tldr: merging at 5* seems like a waste of feathers now, but merging at less than 5* is a waste of units, who are objectively harder to obtain in the long run

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

cpaf posted:

Actually, the logic makes perfect sense from a min/maxing perspective, it's just ridiculous because feather costs are so oppressive right now. Supposing that this game follows the path of every other gacha ever made, currencies such as feathers which seem ridiculous now may be far more common in the future with the release of new game modes/features/events etc. Considering that IV totals are figured into the Arena point calculations, increasing the stat totals of your units is the best possible way to get into the top tiers of arena. Merging units that are less than 5* makes no sense from this perspective.

Basically what I'm saying is it isn't criminal to merge at 4*, but in a few weeks or months we might be drowning in feathers for whatever reason and suddenly you've wasted the Olivia you got from the free hero rotation (who you can't get again) because you sold her for 5 feathers or merged her at 4*

tldr: merging at 5* seems like a waste of feathers now, but merging at less than 5* is a waste of units, who are objectively harder to obtain in the long run

But if it follows gacha trends, then newer characters are going to be objectively better than older characters anyway, so all those feathers you wasted upgrading Lucina will be obsolete when Santa-Outfit Lucina comes and outclasses her in every way.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
We have no idea how they're doing different skins/upgrades yet but it's extra dumb to push your most popular characters (most of which are out right now) into obsolescence so that may not even happen.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The best move at the moment, unless you really need that boost for something, would be to fuse no one and wait to see how poo poo pans out.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

But if it follows gacha trends, then newer characters are going to be objectively better than older characters anyway, so all those feathers you wasted upgrading Lucina will be obsolete when Santa-Outfit Lucina comes and outclasses her in every way.

Yep, and those +10 5* Lucinas are gonna look dumb as gently caress as well when they start releasing 6* upgrades and my whole argument gets invalidated. Still, I've experienced firsthand the sense of stat disparity between 4* and 5* units in lunatic and in the advanced arena, and I'm fine with some (very) long term and :shepicide: goals

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Thanks to thread advice I managed to beat normal Narcian using my usual (and not even that good) team of Laslow/Cordelia/Fae/Setsuna. Usually the latter two are the weak links but Fae could tank the initial hits and Setsuna worked on Narcian. Not trying the Hard map though, gently caress that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How are people leaning wrt raising up a stable of 4*s vs saving up to make a single 5*?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I'm clearly not lucky or a whale, but I still want to get the most of the playing the game for free. So any help with effective teams using my current roster would be greatly appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/ZhTYnlZ.png

Lyn is my only 5*, and my last pull wasn't impressive so I decided to upgrade the castle first, and continue to save up orbs for more summons.

I usually run with Oboro, Lyn or Adult-Tiki and Felicia. The last spot can change between Clarine (Staff), Cherche (Axe), or Sophia (Red Tome).

I tried building up Saizo and Sully, but I might have gotten unlucky cause the ones I have seem pretty garbo.

I'm slowly working on Sharena and Anna in the background, too, for what it's worth.

While it'd be awesome to pull Azura soon, I'd also work with Olivia on a team somehow. Right now she just dances and I'll occasionally feed her a kill. I would imagine that she's got more potential than that... Right? :sweatdrop:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
having a hard time with these Knights in chapter 9 hard. I'm stumped with my team composition. anyone have suggestions? do I go with the all 5* murder squad or try to use more meta units, for clearing PVE

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How are you supposed to do the narcian maps? I could manage if you didn't automatically lose if anyone died but somebody always gets picked off before I can really do anything.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

DrManiac posted:

How are you supposed to do the narcian maps? I could manage if you didn't automatically lose if anyone died but somebody always gets picked off before I can really do anything.

There are a couple of ways to do this. 1 way is to have a good tanky unit and a healer to back them up, with some good support units.

What I did for the level 35 version was use 1 flyer, a mage, and an infantry, and a healer. (Camilla, Tharja, Tiki, and Clarine). If you send a level 40 5* camilla into the archer, she will survive the counterattack. From there, Narcian should charge you, which you can with some of your units. Then it is 4 v 3 and pretty easy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm legit surprised by anyone who has a 40 level unit. I don't know how you level up when the later stages has everyone with crazy skills and everyone dies in one hit.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm legit surprised by anyone who has a 40 level unit. I don't know how you level up when the later stages has everyone with crazy skills and everyone dies in one hit.

Training Tower levels you up quick, especially with all of the stamina potions. Also, lots of free arena with the like 30 free dueling crests.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 12, 2017

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

DrManiac posted:

I've taken to leveling up some flyers just to see if I can cheese the aggro somehow bc I don't have anyone tanky enough to survive that initial triple whammy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MegaZeroX posted:

Training Tower levels you up quick, especially with all of the stamina potions. Also, lots of free arena with the like 30 free dueling crests.

My last training tower had a Chrom that soloed my entire team. My own Chrom got doubled by it and hit one hit did 2/3 the enemy chrom's damage (which went off twice) and he OHKO Tiki from full HP.

Training tower is dumb and the person who designed it is a fun-hating rear end in a top hat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm basically training all my characters till level 25 because by then, every match turns into russian roulette and you better hope you don't get like five units with rising wind and a killer weapon.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

My last training tower had a Chrom that soloed my entire team. My own Chrom got doubled by it and hit one hit did 2/3 the enemy chrom's damage (which went off twice) and he OHKO Tiki from full HP.

Training tower is dumb and the person who designed it is a fun-hating rear end in a top hat.

Really? I usually don't have any problem with the tower. I mean, I occasionally lose, but it isn't too bad. I mean, any Chrom/Lucina/Marth will OHKO most dragons if they are at a high level, whether it be arena, story, or tower.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 12, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Do you need 20000 feathers in addition to having 20 badges?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you need 20000 feathers in addition to having 20 badges?

For 5*? Yes. (Also need the big badges, but they are not that hard).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OddObserver posted:

For 5*? Yes. (Also need the big badges, but they are not that hard).

What the gently caress

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Said I wasn't going to, but Marth wasn't really cutting it alone, so I've been rerolling over the last two days. Got Takumi/40 orbs twice, Azura/40 orbs once, and the one roll I've kept on my phone for now, Roy and Lyn/60 orbs. Still hoping for something more, but I'm already about 40 runs deep into these shenanigans. *sigh* I hate being picky. Also RobinM pulls are such a cocktease.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

...should I pull this? I don't think I should pull this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
They really should let you reroll your orbs at least once or something. I hate when that happens. Like when I was rerolling for Roy, sometimes I'd get pulls with no reds in them at all and it sucked.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Nuebot posted:

They really should let you reroll your orbs at least once or something. I hate when that happens. Like when I was rerolling for Roy, sometimes I'd get pulls with no reds in them at all and it sucked.

I got a 5* Nowi out of it, so it went better than expected.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly kind of want to quit this, it's really discouraging going in and seeing a team full of really good 5* units in the arena.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
some people take phone games too seriously

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

General Morden posted:

i just got good luck, idk man. my team is abel/robin/tharja/fae and theres only two 5* there, i dont think it's that bad since you're paired with people roughly your team rank

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

FeralWraith posted:

Said I wasn't going to, but Marth wasn't really cutting it alone, so I've been rerolling over the last two days. Got Takumi/40 orbs twice, Azura/40 orbs once, and the one roll I've kept on my phone for now, Roy and Lyn/60 orbs. Still hoping for something more, but I'm already about 40 runs deep into these shenanigans. *sigh* I hate being picky. Also RobinM pulls are such a cocktease.

You should probably reroll using Nox emulator. It's 60s per reroll of 4 orbs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

General Morden posted:

to this reporter who is extremely cool, i would refer to it as no big deal

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I hope Ephraim is good, I need a better blue and he's one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm basically training all my characters till level 25 because by then, every match turns into russian roulette and you better hope you don't get like five units with rising wind and a killer weapon.
That really shouldn't happen until the last two lunatic levels.

Training tower is miserable after 30 though, takes forever to get to 40.