Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lmao i love this game but holy poo poo I want to throw my controller out the window sometimes. just got completely swept by bots in 4v4 AI :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

mellowjournalism posted:

lmao i love this game but holy poo poo I want to throw my controller out the window sometimes. just got completely swept by bots in 4v4 AI :lol:

The bots seem to be inconsistent. I did a bunch of 4v4 elimination vs AI for an order and roughly 80% of the time they'd be fairly brain-dead and easy to guard-break spam, and the other 20% they'd turn into a whirling dervish and I'd just drop dead without landing a hit.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I don't think I have the coordination to play this game correctly. I can't beat even the level 2 bot without cheesing it off a cliff.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kubrick posted:

I don't think I have the coordination to play this game correctly. I can't beat even the level 2 bot without cheesing it off a cliff.

The level 2 bots are no joke, starting out you WILL lose to them. Hell even the level 1 bots can be tricky sometimes just because they are agressive as heck. Just practice and you will improve, don't let yourself get tilted by mistakes while you are training because that is the entire point, to make mistakes and recognize them so you can learn from them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mellowjournalism posted:

Cool thing is you get rewards even if you lose, so hey no biggie. And most of the mission orders things are for "complete" rather than "win" matches. So that's nice.

It definitely has that fighting game feel of just screwing up your combo and then having somebody else just parry everything you do and clown on you. But also sometimes you clown on other people :)

I've been practicing parries and I'm definitely improving. Switched from Kensei back to Warden.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kubrick posted:

There's a TON of subtle as gently caress poo poo in this game that you have to actually take the time to learn or you won't realize it even part of the game. There are good tutorials but you have to play them all and watch the videos and pay attention.

If you don't know what parries are, what cancels are, which of your attacks are unblockable or which of your abilities combo into each other, you're gonna get beat. But learning and practicing those things will make you improve a ton.

What class are you playing? Definitely avoid the assassins (Orochi, Peacekeeper, Berserker) until you know what you're doing.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Nothing unlocked in the beta carries over into the full game right?

Probably not. Open beta was reset after the closed beta.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
This game is actually pretty sweet. Atrociously bad menus but otherwise pretty good, makes me kinda sad I won't be able to afford it for a few months.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the PSN down for anybody else?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Why is Nobushi ranked 'hard' holy poo poo I just got 18 kills in a 4v4 when the next highest got 9. I'm new to this, and bad at videogames!

I genuinely haven't had this much fun with an online game since... gently caress, I don't think I've had this much fun with an online game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Guard breaks have been the absolute death of me until I watched a video where a guy said that mashing the break button made him counter-guard-break way more often, so I tried it and SURE ENOUGH I can get the football-tackling assholes off of me for two seconds now

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Whalley posted:

Why is Nobushi ranked 'hard' holy poo poo I just got 18 kills in a 4v4 when the next highest got 9. I'm new to this, and bad at videogames!

I genuinely haven't had this much fun with an online game since... gently caress, I don't think I've had this much fun with an online game.

I think she is rated "hard" because utilizing her hidden stance and related mixups can be very tricky. However 95% of Nobushi players including myself seem to have great success just never acknowledging hidden stance exists which makes the character decidedly less hard to play.

So basically either her gimmick is hard but worthless or after release everyone is gonna finally use her gimmick and she's gonna be OP as hell.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I think she is rated "hard" because utilizing her hidden stance and related mixups can be very tricky. However 95% of Nobushi players including myself seem to have great success just never acknowledging hidden stance exists which makes the character decidedly less hard to play.
No way; hidden stance is literally just 'wait there until the bad buy gets a little close, then throw in one of those long range kicks, then a triple jab to the face" - honestly I wouldn't be finding it nearly as 'easy' if I didn't have a way of just hanging back and then covering a bunch of stabbing ground real fast.

Also, the back dodge is just about the only useful defense I've found against the viking loving tackle because I'm awful at guard breaks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just played first game. Got owned hard. loving hell this spear fucker ma

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is this game unstable for others? I just had one game freeze. Didn't even ctd and then just now a disconnect

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

MadJackMcJack posted:

The bots seem to be inconsistent. I did a bunch of 4v4 elimination vs AI for an order and roughly 80% of the time they'd be fairly brain-dead and easy to guard-break spam, and the other 20% they'd turn into a whirling dervish and I'd just drop dead without landing a hit.

Yeah but it's pretty bad AI scaling when not a single bot died once for the entire match. It's not like the 4 humans were rockstars so gently caress me if it couldn't just lower the difficulty on one goddamn bot after the 2nd round of skynet asspounding

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

My big trouble opponents are always Conquerers. Everything i do gets blocked, and coupled with their poo poo ability to deal damage to blocking defenders, i usually have to resort to cheesing a win IF they dont cave my skull in with that flail.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Hidden stance is amazing. it first frame is a dodge and all the attacks from the stance start on the 2nd chain in your combo. also being able to cancel recovery on attacks to hidden stance. it takes a bit to find the sweet spot but it's definitely worth learning.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"You can't join session because it's full"

Really? All sessions? Oh okay Ubisoft maybe I'll never play this ever again you shitbox

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So after 7 or so hours with the Beta, I have fallen off the wagon. I originally was going to get this but now I am on the fence.

Pros
- While not an expert in fighting games, I have previous fighting game experience in the form of MvC2 and Third Strike and some GGX. The fighting system seems reasonably deep to me and I have not seen or read anything that would suggest it would be degenerate.
- The theme is awesome to say the least, Knights vs Samurai vs Vikings definitely got my attetion.
- Game looks great and the PC port ran butter smooth on an aging i2500k w/970 setup.

Cons

- The time from starting the game to getting a match is brutally long and not engaging. It literally is the worst thing on earth for a fighting game. You want to get in the game, select your mode and character and then loving play the game. Instead you have to load 3 different menus, let the game find opposing players, select a hero, wait some loving more for other players to select heroes, load the map which can take up to 45 seconds (the more players there are, the higher chance for a loving 1 minute toaster to load), and then they have to do lovely camera angle pans all over the loving place.

- Ditto for starting the next match. Wade through 3 menus again just to get the next game going. I estimate I spend 50% of time in menus and 50% actual play.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
The best part of playing nobushi is bleeding your opponents enough to kill them and running away giggling like the Anime school girl you are.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Whoever said the menu is garbage was spot on gently caress this is some call of titan bullshit

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

are these loading times just on the pc? because even with my poo poo internet provider, on xbone the wait time between matches is just a minute or two

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

super macho dude posted:

are these loading times just on the pc? because even with my poo poo internet provider, on xbone the wait time between matches is just a minute or two

1 v 1 best of 5 duel times are like 3 minutes long for me on average. From the time a player dies the bare minimum to start the next best of 5 even if its the same player is at least 1 min 30 given that they have to tally XP, gear, etc etc. The menu and waiting time to play time ratio is disgustingly bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

MikeC posted:

1 v 1 best of 5 duel times are like 3 minutes long for me on average. From the time a player dies the bare minimum to start the next best of 5 even if its the same player is at least 1 min 30 given that they have to tally XP, gear, etc etc. The menu and waiting time to play time ratio is disgustingly bad.

Yeah, needing to spam the Next button after a match because the default is 5ish seconds between telling you each little thing you earned after a match is dumb.

And I got to agree the menu design is a labyrinth of extra menu's

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo level 3 Peacekeeper bots are loving nightmares. Went best of 99, got 12 kills to their 50, and about 3/4 of those were environmental so they really don't count. Bleed damage reeeeaaally sucks.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are there gonna be any penalties at all for leavers in this game? Just played my second match in a row where the entire enemy team was bots before the first round was over. In the beta there's nothing at least, just leave the instant you see that a player has a skewed nosehair or whatever and LULULUL NEXT MATCH INSTANTLY.

This game has some cool ideas and neat combat, but the underlying frameworks so far reeks of cut corners :negative:

At least i got it for "free" with my GPU.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Songbearer posted:

Holy poo poo level 3 Peacekeeper bots are loving nightmares. Went best of 99, got 12 kills to their 50, and about 3/4 of those were environmental so they really don't count. Bleed damage reeeeaaally sucks.

I'll be honest, I really hate the bleed mechanic. I'm fine with it in theory but it really sucks to get lightly poked at low health and then have some Noubishi rear end in a top hat just scurry away so you bleed to death. It'd be a lot less frustrating if they had to actually hit you and bleed damage wasn't lethal.

Dongattack posted:

Are there gonna be any penalties at all for leavers in this game? Just played my second match in a row where the entire enemy team was bots before the first round was over. In the beta there's nothing at least, just leave the instant you see that a player has a skewed nosehair or whatever and LULULUL NEXT MATCH INSTANTLY.

I'm assuming the full game will have penalties for abandonment because it'd be insanely stupid for it not too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

super macho dude posted:

Dominion wait times are ridiculuoua

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Having an edgy last man standing staredown after an intense 4v4 and both of us doing an emote was sweet. Then I loving instakilled him with a thrown axe and it was even sweeter. The Wow! spam was glorious and enjoyed by all.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm assuming the full game will have penalties for abandonment because it'd be insanely stupid for it not too.

Hope you're right, it IS Ubisoft :tinfoil:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, needing to spam the Next button after a match because the default is 5ish seconds between telling you each little thing you earned after a match is dumb.

And I got to agree the menu design is a labyrinth of extra menu's

My favourite dumb menu thing is how it keeps backing into a new menu even after you've backed all the way out to the top level menu.

An infinite combo of menus.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

When I started I thought it was a really polished looking game with potential

You know what I think I hate this game actually

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll be honest, I really hate the bleed mechanic. I'm fine with it in theory but it really sucks to get lightly poked at low health and then have some Noubishi rear end in a top hat just scurry away so you bleed to death. It'd be a lot less frustrating if they had to actually hit you and bleed damage wasn't lethal.

Don't get hit.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
new ladder tech.
https://youtu.be/QXA9_3psmPI

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Dongattack posted:

I speak from frustrated experience that during that five-second 'victory music' delay before the match finalizes, people can leave and be replaced by bots. Really hope a punitive measure is implemented for this.

Edit: I only care about this nonsense because there's an xp bonus if you play against someone of a dramatically higher rank than you, which is lost if the player drops like a bitch before the match is over.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 12, 2017

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't say I've played enough of the game to make a good guesses on these, but there are several things making me worried about this game.

1. P2P connections, matchmaking and everything involved (how long till' cheats that purposely do something weird with the connection?) I wasn't even that concerned about P2P and I thought people were overreacting to it previously.
2. How good will the balancing be and how often are we going to see annoying FOTMs?
3. Dumb unskippable cutscenes reducing actual gameplay time. (This gets really, really annoying when dueling with a bot in a custom game, at least).
4. Price point seems awfully high for the breadth of content.

All those things being said, I'm no fighting (2d) game expert. I've got limited experience from Mount & Blade and I had a huge hard-on on for Jedi Knight/2/3 dueling scene and I considered myself to be relatively good. The melee mechanics are interesting. I can't say I really appreciate the combos, and I wish there was a more natural way of learning them instead of looking at your move list each time you select a character and then trying to string them into your gameplay. The gameplay feels a little claustrophobic due to the core game design. But really, all in all in terms of core mechanics the game feels like the sword-fighting game with enough depth I've been missing for over 10 years now. It's everything around those core mechanics that makes me feel reserved.

About KB/M vs. Controllers, would love some opinions on this:

I thought the game was supposed to be downright better on controllers but I'm rethinking my stance on that. I'm not used to holding the controller (Dualshock 4 on PC) with a claw grip and moving over to guard break from the right stick can be too slow. Having KB/M and customizable controls might prove to be a benefit. Thinking of binding guard break to a side mouse button. Is the right stick button actually used for anything in the game? I reckon one could use xbox360ce to bind the stick button over to left face plate button, not forcing you to let go of the stick for guard breaks. Are there more benefits for using a kb/m than easy access to guard break?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 12, 2017

breaks
May 12, 2001

Here's what they had to say about leavers in their Q&A sticky on their official forums:

quote:

There is no penalty for quitting a game, while it can affect all other players because of session owner migration. Do you plan to change that?

Leavers are already penalized as they lose all their match rewards (Loot, Steel, XP, Orders, War Assets, etc.) also stalling their Hero progression by doing so. In For Honor, it’s more interesting to stay in match and participate (even if you lose) than leaving it. (:lol:)

As the result of the match does not influence your chance to get Loot and grants you the same amount of Steel, leavers are quitting at the cost of everything else while the other players continue to gather rewards.

We are aware of the irritations that can cause a player leaving a match and we are already working on possible penalties to apply when that occurs, which will come post-launch. For example, we took a first initiative during the Closed Beta, when we displayed Leaderboards in our forums: Since several of you expressed that concern the first day, for the remaining days, we treated all “Leave” as a Loss to build our Leaderboards.

So basically "we're dumb and want to be the thousandth game to fail at stopping leavers without locking people out but eventually we'll cave" seems to be the answer.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Edit: nm, they count the drop as a loss on their record, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

breaks posted:

Here's what they had to say about leavers in their Q&A sticky on their official forums:

So basically "we're dumb and want to be the thousandth game to fail at stopping leavers without locking people out but eventually we'll cave" seems to be the answer.

Oh I'm sure losing their completely meaningless exp and funbux matters a lot to the people that grind nothing but the 1v1/2v2 mode.

loving hell.