Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Here's a story about a spoiled brat who spends a lot of his dad's money (as well as millions from other investors) in a failed attempt to make a chatroulette clone

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-fling-social-media-app-died-2016-11?r=UK&IR=T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
don't know why this wasn't posted yet, but silicon valley darling unicorn Zenefits just laid off half of its employees:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/williamalden/zenefits-is-laying-off-almost-half-its-employees

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Whooping Crabs posted:

Here's a story about a spoiled brat who spends a lot of his dad's money (as well as millions from other investors) in a failed attempt to make a chatroulette clone

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-fling-social-media-app-died-2016-11?r=UK&IR=T

quote:

Staff said that Nardone lost a lot of weight during the lifetime of Fling but they couldn't understand why. Another said that his mood became increasingly erratic around the summer of 2015, around the time he went to Ibiza.

HUH. :iiam:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Whooping Crabs posted:

Thank you for posting this! We can all use it as motivation while working in the tech industry. What a piece of poo poo, and what a world where he will continue to have a life better than ours no matter how many mistakes he makes. Knowing he exists is just another piece of evidence that negotiating salaries and getting what you're worth is a moral imperative. Any money you leave on the table at hiring time could go to a human black hole like this fucker. Eat the rich etc

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
This is respectable journalist for "obviously he's a cokehead but I don't have anyone I can quote on it"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fishmech posted:

How'd they manage that? Most self-checkouts I see in places have the whole card accepting thing mounted separately, and of the same type as the regular cashier stations have.

Did Safeway have custom machines with the card readers integral to the whole thing?

I don't know the details. It's what I was told by employees at two different local safeways.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Whooping Crabs posted:

quote:

At this point, Nardone's Italian father, Remo Nardone — a man in his 80s and Fling's biggest investor — stepped in to try to cool the situation down, one of the employees said. But his son didn't react well. He swore at his father before hurling a Pret a Manger baguette in his direction. It narrowly missed and collided with a glass window above his head.

Pret a Manger? That's hardcore.

quote:

Nardone kicked other male users off the platform who posted inappropriate photos of themselves on the app.

"They couldn’t even have a photograph with their shirt off," said a former employee. "Unless it was him. He would then boost himself to everybody on the [Fling] database." Nardone used to promote "influencers" on the platform using a feature known as a "Super Fling" so that their Flings would reach up to 5,000 people at one, according to the employee, who added that Nardone had access to "the whole user base."

So not financial mis-management per se, more a founder abusing their own platform.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 10, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You'd think that someone from money could get laid without having to build an app for it

The technocracy is fascinating

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

quote:

At this point, Nardone's Italian father, Remo Nardone — a man in his 80s and Fling's biggest investor — stepped in to try to cool the situation down, one of the employees said. But his son didn't react well. He swore at his father before hurling a Pret a Manger baguette in his direction. It narrowly missed and collided with a glass window above his head.

You know this dude's dad is sitting alone every night with a glass of hard booze and his head in his hands, wondering exactly how and when it was his son became a giant shithead

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MikeCrotch posted:

You know this dude's dad is sitting alone every night with a glass of hard booze and his head in his hands, wondering exactly how and when it was his son became a giant shithead

Kinda reminds me of that one-off Mad Men character who wanted to make jai-alai big in America whose rich dad was just like "yea, he's a shithead, what're ya gonna do, take the job."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Not a Children posted:

You'd think that someone from money could get laid without having to build an app for it

The technocracy is fascinating

oh he could no problem, the app is just to sustain his fantasy of being good at business, at least as good if not better than dad, to demonstrate that he's not just a useless rich boy (which he failed at lol)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People whose primary investors are their relatives are basically insta-no from me. I'd rather they didn't have funding at all.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-10/tesla-s-aspiring-unionizer-laments-musk-s-attempt-to-trash-him

quote:

Tesla Unionizer Returns Fire After Elon Musk 'Trashes' Him

Jose Moran commutes more than an hour from California’s Central Valley to Tesla Inc.’s Fremont factory every morning for a shift that usually starts around 5:25 a.m. and ends in the late afternoon. His Thursday was anything but typical.

The 43-year-old father of two started the day passing around copies of his post on the publishing service Medium, which called for forming a union at Tesla’s lone auto assembly plant. By the evening, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk was criticizing Moran and the United Auto Workers in Twitter messages with a tech blog.

Moran alleged challenging working conditions and organizational issues within a factory under the microscope like never before. The plant is preparing to make the Model 3, Tesla’s first affordable electric car and the linchpin of Musk’s ambitions to reach the mainstream auto market. The CEO went on the defensive Thursday, writing in direct messages to Gizmodo that Moran may have been paid by the UAW to push for a union at Fremont.
“I’ve been a loyal employee of Tesla for 4 1/2 years, sometimes working six days a week, 12 hours a day,” Moran, a production associate on Body Line 1 within the factory, said in a phone interview. “I’m not an employee of the UAW, but we get support from the UAW. For Musk to try to trash me down like that -- it’s too bad.”

Higher Costs

Tesla has flagged to investors for years the risk of higher costs and work stoppages that could arise if a union organizes the Fremont plant. The Palo Alto, California-based company employs more than 5,000 workers at the factory.

“He doesn’t really work for us, he works for the UAW,” Musk said of Moran in direct messages on Twitter to Gizmodo. “Frankly, I find this attack to be morally outrageous. Tesla is the last car company left in California, because costs are so high.”

The UAW, which represents workers at General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV factories across the U.S., said Musk’s assertion that Moran was on the union’s payroll was “fake news.”

“Mr. Moran is not and has not been paid by the UAW,” the union said in a statement. The UAW said it hopes Tesla apologizes to Moran and confirmed he and others at Tesla have approached the union. “We welcome them with open arms,” the UAW said.

Deeper Issues

The UAW has largely failed to organize Japanese, German or Korean auto plants in the U.S. The union used to represent workers at the Fremont factory when then-General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp. occupied the facility through a joint venture. Moran said he worked at the plant under Toyota and GM in the 1990s.

Moran wrote in his post that Tesla pays production workers between $17 and $21 an hour on average, less than the living wage necessary for the high-cost Bay Area. He also cited problems with production including machinery that’s hard on employees’ bodies to operate.

“The issues go much deeper than just fair pay,” he wrote. “Injuries, poor morale, unfair promotions, high turnover, and other issues aren’t just bad for workers -- they also impact the quality and speed of production. They can’t be resolved without workers having a voice and being included in the process.”

get fuuuucked elon

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
It bears repeating again and again. A billionaire is a billionaire is a billionaire. There are awful billionaires, and less awful billionaires, but they have always been and always will be united by their wealth and power.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If you think he should get money, you could give him some of your money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you can't afford to hire enough people, ensure their safety, and pay them properly, then you don't have a viable business model. The 1% are just fine with mergers that create monopolies and duopolies, but the second labor pools their leverage to get what they want it's "how dare they!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Fun Shoe
Let us dispel once and for all with this fiction that the rich give any fucks about their employees beyond what it takes to keep the profits rolling in.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's why I'm especially worried about automation. Once you get rid of a lot of the jobs, the people who still have jobs have even less leverage. Then hiring enough people won't be a problem, but ensuring their safety and paying them properly will be afterthoughts. Or the definitions of "safety" and "proper" will change so that humans life quality drops a lot.

At that point the only mechanism we have to resist is the political system, which we will need to leverage democratically for our interests.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Of course people are describing Uber choosing to pull out of Taiwan rather than comply with taxi regulations as "Uber is banned in Taiwan."

All because they don't want to get appropriate licensing and insurance for the business, or require commercial licenses and insurance with background checks for drivers. Never mind that this would probably not prevent them from making money in any way, even if they had to charge more.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Taxis... are not hard to get in Taiwan. They're also a good example of how taxis can be regulated efficiently.

Oh and if you call for one, they show up, quick.

From my first hand experience my guess is that the Uber business model literally isn't viable there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
As the Uber business model is to lose billions a year in a vain attempt at becoming the only taxi company, it's not viable anywhere.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fishmech posted:

As the Uber business model is to lose billions a year in a vain attempt at becoming the only taxi company, it's not viable anywhere.

True, but in this case I think the final truth is taiwanese taxis are locked down in the right way that Uber can't play their graft and shell games there. The impression i got was that those drivers have viable careers, most of them had been driving for 15+ years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Taipei has one of the most comprehensive public transport systems in the world you massive loving babies.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

namaste faggots posted:

Taipei has one of the most comprehensive public transport systems in the world you massive loving babies.

Not just there:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dome+of+light+taiwan

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheScott2K posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you can't afford to hire enough people, ensure their safety, and pay them properly, then you don't have a viable business model. The 1% are just fine with mergers that create monopolies and duopolies, but the second labor pools their leverage to get what they want it's "how dare they!"

FDR said it best I think, in his Fireside Chat the night before signing the Fair Labor Standards Act in 1938 :

“Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, who has been turning his employees over to the Government relief rolls in order to preserve his company’s undistributed reserves, tell you – using his stockholders’ money to pay the postage for his personal opinions — tell you that a wage of $11.00 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry.”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

FDR, a man after my own heart.

The progressives at that time were so incredible. They were incredibly privileged people. FDR went through the Ivy League and had a person fortune, but supported policies that helped the less fortunate .

And now we've got the epitome of "gently caress you, got mine" as President.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

He didn't give up on it, either. The SCOTUS struck down the first minimum wage law (under the National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933, struck in 1935), but once Washington State's minimum wage law held up against SCOTUS scrutiny in 1937, they immediately pushed forward with the Fair Labor Standards Act to get a national minimum established.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Paying people as little as possible is a good way to ensure that whoever you hire needs the job the most. If you view hiring people as some sort of social good, that's the choice that maximizes that social value.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ccs posted:

FDR, a man after my own heart.

The progressives at that time were so incredible. They were incredibly privileged people. FDR went through the Ivy League and had a person fortune, but supported policies that helped the less fortunate .

And now we've got the epitome of "gently caress you, got mine" as President.
Yeah the crazy thing is FDR got into politics because his mom had a giant fortune and bankrolled him to run for the NY legislature, but by some miracle he ended up becoming one of the greatest Presidents we've had. Today, we have a similar trust fund baby with Trump except he's literally a 70 year old man baby

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Now if the entire country could agree on one smartcard for every railway, MRT, and bus, it would be great. Unfortunately each system is kind of controlled by the different political parties so it will not happen anytime soon.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

sarehu posted:

If you think he should get money, you could give him some of your money.

sarehu posted:

Paying people as little as possible is a good way to ensure that whoever you hire needs the job the most. If you view hiring people as some sort of social good, that's the choice that maximizes that social value.
:allears:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

sarehu posted:

Except that also drags wages down across the board and amasses more wealth at the top, to the detriment of society and the economy as we've seen over the past century. Which is why we now have places like the London School of Economics creating an International Inequalities Institute to try to figure how to address all the problems economic inequality has caused.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Ccs posted:

Except that also drags wages down across the board and amasses more wealth at the top, to the detriment of society and the economy as we've seen over the past century. Which is why we now have places like the London School of Economics creating an International Inequalities Institute to try to figure how to address all the problems economic inequality has caused.

That's a weird theory. Inequality has been falling for the past 3 decades.

Edit: In fact, it's been a result of the mechanics I described. People that benefit more from the job while getting paid less -- namely, actual poor people from places like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, and later China and Vietnam.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sarehu posted:

What's it like on your world? If we visit from Earth, do we need a spacesuit?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sarehu posted:

Edit: In fact, it's been a result of the mechanics I described. People that benefit more from the job while getting paid less -- namely, actual poor people from places like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, and later China and Vietnam.

Can we please actually use our side of the planet as the relevant sample, you know like the US and EU?

EDIT: Like how does someone miss the global financial crisis, the eurozone crisis, OWS, Thomas Piketty and Trump all at the same time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Can we please actually use our side of the planet as the relevant sample, you know like the US and EU?

EDIT: Like how does someone miss the global financial crisis, the eurozone crisis, OWS, Thomas Piketty and Trump all at the same time.

Willful ignorance is a hell of a drug. I'm sure that low wage service industry job in the Bay Area is going to lift a whole villiage of North Koreans out of poverty in ways that could never happen if it paid enough for the locals to do it.

Yep, any day now, once we learn to telecommute to bus tables and scrub shitters.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

sarehu posted:

In a world with one language and no trade barriers, would you be able to command your current salary and job stability? Enlighten us about the "correct" level of protectionism

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

MiddleOne posted:

Certainly. Inequality's declined in the US and the EU. In part thanks to the end of the USSR, in part because Western Europe got closer to America.

MiddleOne posted:

Here's a fun question for you. Do you believe that the best way to grow the economy (the goal being to maximize growth) is to redistribute money to the rich?

Analytic Engine posted:

In a world with one language and no trade barriers, would you be able to command your current salary and job stability? Enlighten us about the "correct" level of protectionism

Yes, I would, and the correct level of protectionism is: Zero.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sarehu posted:

Certainly. Inequality's declined in the US and the EU. In part thanks to the end of the USSR, in part because Western Europe got closer to America.

Oh has it now? Lets see what the OECD thinks about the development of the individual nations at play here.

Source: http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/social-issues-migration-health/income-inequality_9789264246010-en#page36

Whoops, that sure is almost all of the developed economies being worse of in distribution than they were 3 decades ago.

sarehu posted:

Here's a fun question for you. Do you believe that the best way to grow the economy (the goal being to maximize growth) is to redistribute money to the rich.

You seem to have me confused with the IMF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sarehu posted:

Either you're staggeringly ignorant of the most basic facts of recent western history, or you're going to pull out some absolutely amazingly wackjob sources. Either way, this is going to be awesome, please defend this point.