Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

panda clue posted:

Yea, most fighting games release new characters and force you to pay $5 to be able to unlock them, and give no option to get them through gameplay at all. The 15 hours to unlock a character is for post-launch characters that are released in expansions; you're conflating them with the base cast, of which only require a few hours to unlock the entire roster. Sorry for the confusion.

offering a way to unlock DLC characters for free is pretty cool imo

Fair enough. The DLC characters being unlockable for free does somewhat alleviate the dump pseudo-F2P stuff a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can still play as all the character you haven't "recruited". You just don't get exp and items for them which doesn't matter if all you care about is 1v1 serious mode.

EDIT: What the gently caress am I supposed to do as a zerker in the 1v1 maps that are just narrow corridors with walls or cliffs? No room to maneuver around people so I just get thrown off a cliff.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 12, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I keep seeing guys get extra health in like a veserker rage but it doesn't seem exclusive to a class how do you do that

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Doing the tutorial gives you enough steel to unlock like 6 of them anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Game is fun, everything surrounding the game is bad

Can we have an :ubisoft: yet

edit lol I guess we have one!!!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

You can still play as all the character you haven't "recruited". You just don't get exp and items for them which doesn't matter if all you care about is 1v1 serious mode.

EDIT: What the gently caress am I supposed to do as a zerker in the 1v1 maps that are just narrow corridors with walls or cliffs? No room to maneuver around people so I just get thrown off a cliff.

2v2 also does not use gear.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it's really dumb that most deathmatch and duel modes begin with ringouts right next to you, instead of having to travel to them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I think it's really dumb that most deathmatch and duel modes begin with ringouts right next to you, instead of having to travel to them.

Raider would be literally unplayable without them imo

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

Just attack? If you are in any sort of wind up for a light or heavy attack their guard break does nothing. It's truly only a gaurd break, not a throw or grapple.

I also gave up on trying to time counter guard breaks.

I don't think you can be in a constant attack mode against better players, at least I can't. You should learn the counter, it just takes some practice. I played berzerk player that was impossible to guard break without comboing it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

Just attack? If you are in any sort of wind up for a light or heavy attack their guard break does nothing. It's truly only a gaurd break, not a throw or grapple.

"just attack" is good advice if you're playing against a bad player maybe.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Just tried out zerker for the first time and those were the only maps I could really do well on; the dash forwards light jump at their head closes ground real fast and very few people seemed to block it, and then the melee/kick/whatever button seemed to always manouver me just far enough to the side to throw them off. I like the character but man, you really need room to move if you're not going to just work to push people over.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Problem with light attack spamming to try and stop a guard break is they just parry you then destroy you before you are allowed to even press anything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee posted:

I keep seeing guys get extra health in like a veserker rage but it doesn't seem exclusive to a class how do you do that

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Are you referring to revenge mode?

If so its the little bar down the bottom left and you press R when it pops up

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ohsosad posted:

Problem with light attack spamming to try and stop a guard break is they just parry you then destroy you before you are allowed to even press anything.

I don't think the guy was advocating spamming lights to just preemptively stop throws. If you think someone is going to throw you, you can just light attack and it will stop the throw.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Do the tutorials man. They explain a lot of poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can land the guard counter everytime in the practice mode but against a player it barely ever works, even when I know its coming. Its getting frustrating because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Practicing only blocks and counter guard break vs lvl 2 bots helped me a lot with getting the reaction time to do it, and also as mentioned, spam it rather than trying to time the single tap.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

I can land the guard counter everytime in the practice mode but against a player it barely ever works, even when I know its coming. Its getting frustrating because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Same lol. I can't seem to guard break-counter worth poo poo so my go to counter is "light attack" instead.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
You only counter it because you know it's coming. against a real player there are so many other possible options they could be doing.

Guard breaks are intentionally hard to counter since it's there to punish excessive passive play. The advice of attacking is correct. You don't have to spam it, just do it often enough and mix in your own guard breaks.

Like in any fighting game, I am sure there will be a Justin Wong type that will be able to defend the guard break on reaction but I suspect most mortals will just have to be proactive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
For whatever reason, Warlord and Berserker are easily my least favorite opponents. Good players of both of those are just scary.

But it doesn't seem to translate to Conquerors, who I'm not as afraid of. Good Peackeepers and Orochi are pretty nasty too though. (But there's lots of bad Orochi lol)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Internet Kraken posted:

Just the timing is very precise. Practicing it against the dummy who has the same rhythm is different than doing it against a player who mixes things up and is unpredictable.

That said do keep in mind there is a visual timer as to when to parry. When the indicator turns red, when your parry window is active it will then start flashing red very briefly on top of that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, if you could stop the guard break on reacting it would just be a QTE basically.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This is more for the lower to midlevel skill level. Higher level players are obviously trickier but less likely to just spam guard break. If you're up against them then you're probably pretty good yourself and don't need my help.

If you're on a bridge or near a ledge. Here's my gameplan.
  1. Get close enough so that you can land a leaping or charging attack (most characters have them). While you're doing this be certain to cover the guard break button in case he charges so you can land a counter guard break. You want to act fast though because you don't want to give him a chance to try and throw if you can. The CGB window is pretty small and hard to hit.
  2. After you leap or charge, start light attacking without any hesitation (this is important). Turn it into a chain or use an unblockable or uninterruptable.
  3. If they're trying to guard break, all of your attacks will go through and his guard breaks will all fail. Keep attacking. Don't give them room to breathe. If you run low on stamina, dodge back a few times quickly, catch your breath, and start again.
  4. What's more likely to happen is he'll try to guard break but start eating shots, so he'll start blocking because if he doesn't, he dies. The millisecond you see him block a shot or try to block, hit guard break. It will probably go through. Hit guard break again and toss him.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 12, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

For whatever reason, Warlord and Berserker are easily my least favorite opponents. Good players of both of those are just scary.

But it doesn't seem to translate to Conquerors, who I'm not as afraid of. Good Peackeepers and Orochi are pretty nasty too though. (But there's lots of bad Orochi lol)

I've been playing mostly Warlord this beta. It's such a weird class. On paper he seems kinda poo poo. Low range. Kinda fast but not really.. Gasses quickly.

But his skills are so strong. The headbutt is fast and unblockable/unparryable. It closes distance and drains stamina so it helps mitigate his low stamina. Every Heavy Attack is uninterruptable and they have decent speed. In a brawl when both people are attacking he has the advantage. The leaping attack is parryable but it's good for closing distance and helps mix up your headbutts. Block and counter is very fast. Shield bash is basically a better parry. His zone attack covers a lot of distance and is fast. And a lot of these moves can come out of perfect defense so he can be unpredictable.

Oh and you have shield charge for environmental kills over distance if you land a guard break.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I will say the most frustrating class for me to fight is the Orochi. I don't think its the strongest(as I think thats warden/peacekeeper) but their loving sidestep dodge attack is flustering to say the best as its a bit too good at what it does. Hard to block on reaction(let alone parry), can't use guard break to get around it because its an attack, and worst of all is when you are playing a slower class even when you call the direction of the dodge and do a side heavy attack in that direction, it can still miss a fair portion of the time :argh:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

no more books posted:

this makes me feel even worse since I just constantly die as zerker. Absolutely cannot figure it out. I feel like they attack slowly for some reason?

I'm gonna use everyone's favorite excuse and say I'm too old for competitive games

I'm 30 and I'm tearing it up on Berserker so that's no excuse! Get back in there soldier! If you feel you are attacking slowly you probably aren't doing the infinite combo correctly. The infinite combo requires that you alternate light and heavy attacks. You can switch direction but you always have to alternate light and heavy. The power of it is that as long as they don't block the lights, it's...well, infinite (as long as your stamina holds out or until you cancel it with an upwards heavy). Against weaker players you can just overwhelm them with your constant attacks and it's extremely effective, especially since it chains out of basically everything you can do. Against stronger players you have a lot of tools, both your dashing upwards light and upwards heavy are uninterruptible, deflects give you a free guard break, and dashing lights chain into the combo. Add that to all the usual tools (parries, dashes, etc) and it's a really strong class. It just tends to be a win big or lose big kind of class given the all or nothing nature of the kit.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 12, 2017

breaks
May 12, 2001

Another plus to the warlord is his mini parry with light attack which hoses you less and sometimes even works in your favor if you are as bad at parrying as me. :shobon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'll be honest I don't really get how people pull off that light+heavy alternating combo on zerker. I can pull it off but most players will block one of the light attacks and ruin the whole thing. I'm not alternating feints in yet because I suck at those but I'm not sure how that would even solve the light attack problem. You can't feint with light attacks.

Zerker is really fun though. Plus in the Dominion mode you get to throw axes in peoples face and laugh.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Bah to that too old for competitive games

When you get old is when you are just starting to get good :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Evil Canadian posted:

Bah to that too old for competitive games

When you get old is when you are just starting to get good :getin:

You lose your twitch skill and reaction time. You gain situational awareness and the ability to plan ahead in compensation.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm getting pretty good at poisoning people with the spear guy, which was annoying as poo poo when it was happening to me. Next thing to figure out, how people are picking me up and running with me like I'm the nerd in gym class again

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Alkydere posted:

You lose your twitch skill and reaction time. You gain situational awareness and the ability to plan ahead in compensation.

You also lose your eyesight, but this game has pretty good audio cues.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm getting pretty good at poisoning people with the spear guy, which was annoying as poo poo when it was happening to me. Next thing to figure out, how people are picking me up and running with me like I'm the nerd in gym class again

If you guard break someone, then guard-break again you'll do a "throw". It varies by class (Spear Girl kick's em, and then if you follow up with a light attack it's another bleed). I think Raider specifically has the ability to toss you over his shoulder and Hulk Hogan you into the nearest wall of spikes.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

You also lose your eyesight, but this game has pretty good audio cues.

Psh, my eyesight went in the third grade. Haven't been able to read a book past my arm's length since I was ten. I was doomed to be a nerd.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Vaguely beginning to enjoy the salt itt almost as much as in the game

ohsosad posted:

Guard break is absolutely ruining the game for me, i can't for the life of me get any good at counter blocking them so the majority of the time i'm just being stun locked to death in duels.

I really feel like guard break needs a slightly larger window for countering or at least a slightly more obvious animation that it's going to happen.

Internet Kraken posted:

Captain Beans posted:

Don't give up but also don't try to "time" it, just spam the poo poo out of it when you think it's coming. Trust me you'll get the hang of it eventually and you pretty much have to learn it eventually

fadam posted:

I know its early so its all bullshit, but what's everyone's top/bottom three?

Right now I have Orochi, Peace Keeper and Nobushi as the best and Kensei, Raider and Conqueror as the worst.

Ironically they labeled the fastest and easiest characters to play "hard" and the hardest ones "easy"

Ok maybe the Conqueror is actually pretty easy to start out with, but also encourages new players to turtle which is hard to do in this game (a good thing).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its so, so dumb that the if someone leaves in the aftergame lobby the game either replaces them with a bot or closes the match entirely. Why would you not allow those slots to be filled with people searching for a game??

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Heartcatch posted:

I've not run into any leavers yet, strangely enough. Everyone has been relatively polite and friendly in duels, brawls, and eliminations.

It's a surreal experience that is destroying my internet perspective.

what planet do you connect from

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its so, so dumb that the if someone leaves in the aftergame lobby the game either replaces them with a bot or closes the match entirely. Why would you not allow those slots to be filled with people searching for a game??

unless they changed things in the open beta, i have joined on games in progress and replaced bots.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Roobanguy posted:

unless they changed things in the open beta, i have joined on games in progress and replaced bots.

Oh yeah, you can replace bots in actual matches. But when a match ends and you're waiting in a lobby for the next to start? New players can't join then. If someone leaves they get replaced with a bot, and if enough people leave the match just closes. Its so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I've started environmental killing everyone, like all my gear is plus throw. People keep raging and calling me no honor :cabot: