Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Swapsies Universalis.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

What... but... how? WHY?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Kaza42 posted:

What... but... how? WHY?

This is the REAL history THEY won't TEACH you

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kaza42 posted:

What... but... how? WHY?

Probably swapped the country codes with their most hilariously appropriate neighbour.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm Uralic Muenster

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Serbia represented with its rightful strength. :tito:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I want to play this with all of the historic events turned on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the nations keep their religions and cultures that would be a very interesting game since the provinces would still have all their original cultures/religions. So pretty soon after starting every nation is just going to implode under a ton of rebellions.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Wanna play that mod.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

hecka buff for muscowy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

hecka buff for muscowy
Lookit fuckin Grenada and Livonian Order!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
It's the Papal State swap that truly speaks to me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If the nations keep their religions and cultures that would be a very interesting game since the provinces would still have all their original cultures/religions. So pretty soon after starting every nation is just going to implode under a ton of rebellions.

And everyone would have cores on everyone else making everyone mad at one another.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

And everyone would have cores on everyone else making everyone mad at one another.

Not to mention not having cores on any of their own starting territory, so massive overextension penalties.

Make this into a Let's Play.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Westminster System posted:

It's the Papal State swap that truly speaks to me.

It almost seems right

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not to mention not having cores on any of their own starting territory, so massive overextension penalties.

Make this into a Let's Play.
That would just ruin the large countries, they would have to start with cores in what they own and where they came from.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Yeah I totally want to play that now

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Serbia inheriting the Byzantine Empire feels right, too!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is an interesting, albeit short, article about Paradox possibly bringing more of their games to mobile platforms.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/02/04/paradox-might-bring-its-grand-strategy-games-to-mobile-in-the-future/

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mobile Paradox would be extremely my jam

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love to have Paradox games on my phone but I feel like there are hardware limitations. Paradox grand strategy stuff is very CPU intensive - CK2 especially with so many AIs making decisions.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if you could have some sort of setup thing like the nVidia shield where maybe you could have a computer at home do some of that stuff, but then your mobile game would need a good wifi connection, which makes it less mobile and a lot less airplane friendly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could definitely make a paradox-style grand strategy game that runs on a mobile device. The big concession is that you'd have to cheat a lot with the ai to cut down on how much processing it needs, probably to the point of giving up on the fiction of the ai playing by the same rules as the player.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jabor posted:

You could definitely make a paradox-style grand strategy game that runs on a mobile device. The big concession is that you'd have to cheat a lot with the ai to cut down on how much processing it needs, probably to the point of giving up on the fiction of the ai playing by the same rules as the player.

Multiplayer only :getin:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Crusader Kings 2 Mobile

Spend 100 real dollars to get an heir, and only one heir for the duration of your king's life.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want paradox on my ps4

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

algebra testes posted:

Crusader Kings 2 Mobile

Spend 100 real dollars to get an heir, and only one heir for the duration of your king's life.

This siege will finish in 36 hours, but you can spend a Golden Catapult to complete it immediately!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
It'll start out with high minded promises that PDX won't be like *those* mobile developers and end with a stockholders conference call where Fredrik reveals their biggest revenue generator is the $1.99 Incest Token that lets you marry a relative one time in CKM.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
People seem to be suggestion just porting existing titles, but shouldn't Paradox be creating ones that take advantage of the different medium? Let people live out WW2 in real life. Players could travel to the sites of famous battles and help fight off the enemy, plan out ambushes for other players to stumble upon, search for partisans in the woods or track down saboteurs and spies at work- really, there's no limit to the VR interactivity you could create. You could even tie all of this into a unified MMO campaign where the outcome of the war is determined by the united efforts of various teams of players.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Mobile doesn't necessarily mean free-to-play, it'd have to be a big departure in style from the existing grand strategy games to work with that. It's a pretty core component of mobile free-to-play design that your core gameplay loop lasts around 30 seconds to 1 minute (minimum gameplay time required to achieve something in a single session) which doesn't really fit any of the existing grand strategy games PDX make.

'Reign' (paid app) is pretty clearly influenced by the success of CK2, it's a pretty good attempt at bring the concept to a mobile. Take what makes CK2 unique (events, traits, decision making and hilarious consequences) and leave the rest out.

I wouldn't have a problem with a free-to-play style PDX game and would definitely play it, but I'm probably not unbiased because I work in mobile games thus consist of pure evil and want to steal your money.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Paradox is looking for a lot of new employees, including peeps with mobile and console experience. Also junior streamers n poo poo. So....get on it goons.

http://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Zombiepop posted:

Paradox is looking for a lot of new employees, including peeps with mobile and console experience. Also junior streamers n poo poo. So....get on it goons.

http://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs
There's also still that content designer job that was posted back in August JUNE OF LAST YEAR, but anybody who's applied to that can't reapply because you can't apply for the same job twice, even if it's been more than half a year and the posting's still open.

They ought to really just re-post that job at this point.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 12, 2017

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Merni's GDC Ai talk available to the public somewhere?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Merni's GDC Ai talk available to the public somewhere?
It hasn't happened yet, but once GDC has come and gone maybe it will be in the GDC vault if you have access? Maybe?

verbal enema posted:

I want paradox on my ps4
Maybe a PS4 Pro patch would finally make the Clausewitz engine multi-threaded!! ping Groogy

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

LordMune posted:

It hasn't happened yet, but once GDC has come and gone maybe it will be in the GDC vault if you have access? Maybe?
Also kinda hinges on that the ban doesn't become relevant again....

LordMune posted:

Maybe a PS4 Pro patch would finally make the Clausewitz engine multi-threaded!! ping Groogy

I hate you all....

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

There's also still that content designer job that was posted back in August JUNE OF LAST YEAR, but anybody who's applied to that can't reapply because you can't apply for the same job twice, even if it's been more than half a year and the posting's still open.

They ought to really just re-post that job at this point.
Looking at that, I really wonder. Moving to Sweden ain't no thang for a Nordic and I've certainly played enough of the games. My education is even focused on researching cool poo poo for various cultures and areas.

Then again, humanities/social science guy wanting to be an ideas guy might not be a viable career path? Who knows...

Also I thought you were American Ofaloaf? Nordics in general aint too open to those from those outside Europe, though I don't know if Sweden is as draconian as Iceland is.

Groogy posted:

I hate you all....
Well I love you Groogy~

You're my fav of the Paradox folks

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also I thought you were American Ofaloaf? Nordics in general aint too open to those from those outside Europe, though I don't know if Sweden is as draconian as Iceland is.
I am from the god-blessed United States of America, yeah. More of an issue than Swedish laws preventing me from getting in is that the US demands a load more documentation and continual bank data and taxes and such from its expatriate citizens than nearly any other Western country, so I'm much less attractive as a hire just because of all that potential paperwork attached to me.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I am from the god-blessed United States of America, yeah. More of an issue than Swedish laws preventing me from getting in is that the US demands a load more documentation and continual bank data and taxes and such from its expatriate citizens than nearly any other Western country, so I'm much less attractive as a hire just because of all that potential paperwork attached to me.

That'd be it. Hiring non-EU people is apparently a nightmare of its own as well. Although I'll bug someone about the reapplication thing. We hired two people on the June opening (I should know, I was one of them), and this is supposed to be a new opening.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Looking at that, I really wonder. Moving to Sweden ain't no thang for a Nordic and I've certainly played enough of the games. My education is even focused on researching cool poo poo for various cultures and areas.

Then again, humanities/social science guy wanting to be an ideas guy might not be a viable career path? Who knows...

loving go for it, man. I have a MA in Early Modern History and work on HoI. The senior embedded QA on HoI is a trained biologist. The tech lead is a bona-fide Violinist. The other new Content Designer is a god drat English major. As long as you can prove that you are not the kind of idea guy who expects others to work to his rough ideas but someone who can actually implement his ideas, you have a real chance. Modding experience is a huge plus. Modding experience in CKII or EU4 even more so in this particular case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

loving go for it, man. I have a MA in Early Modern History and work on HoI. The senior embedded QA on HoI is a trained biologist. The tech lead is a bona-fide Violinist. The other new Content Designer is a god drat English major. As long as you can prove that you are not the kind of idea guy who expects others to work to his rough ideas but someone who can actually implement his ideas, you have a real chance. Modding experience is a huge plus. Modding experience in CKII or EU4 even more so in this particular case.
The closest I've come to modding CK2 was setting up a buncha stuff in game through the console; like randomly changing religions and cultures and triggering events I found through notepad++, which while interesting is probably not what they want. And I don't do rough ideas; I mean, I can pretty easily think things through what I want to happen and how, just don't know how to do it...

I mean, I was taught avisynth and video editing through Notepad++ relatively easily but eh. EHH.

Perhaps my dream of watching soap operas and trying to have that happen in CK2 will never be...

also the whole moving to another country, but I've practically paid this place of and can just rent it out while I'm gone