Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I think I'd feel bad about eating octopus, just because I'm not sure they aren't smarter than I am in some alien fashion.

devour those smarter than you to gain their intelligence and establish your dominance on the food chain

Chilichimp posted:

Depends... do you enjoy chewy food in general?

i also love chicken hearts so yeah kind of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alaois posted:

is it weird my favorite seafood is squid and octopus

Nah, I love them too.

Grittybeard posted:

I think I'd feel bad about eating octopus, just because I'm not sure they aren't smarter than I am in some alien fashion.

As long as you're good eating long pig as well you're not a hypocrite.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bad Moon posted:

Stir frying it :confused:

Acceptable for some dishes.

But steaming it is great if you like watery mush. Roasting broccoli is the apex preparation

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Acceptable for some dishes.

But steaming it is great if you like watery mush. Roasting broccoli is the apex preparation

You don't have to steam them to mush, dude. That's doing it wrong.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Steaming them is doing it wrong. It does nothing to enhance the flavor profile and it literally just makes them soft.

It's pointless.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But what about a good doughnut ?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You steam the broccoli until they've just gotten hot and the flavor starts to shift. They should still be crunchy. If they can be described in any way as "soft" then you've cooked them way too long.

Although to be honest broccoli is fine raw. Especially with some blue cheese dressing, but I used to just snack on a bag of broccoli wokkoli.

BTW after the discussion earlier, I had to go get pho for dinner. It was glorious.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A new pho shop has opened downtown. I have to go now.

I've never had it and I want it spicy style.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A Man and his dog posted:

A new pho shop has opened downtown. I have to go now.

I've never had it and I want it spicy style.

Get pho taí, add a piece or two of jalapeño and a fuckload of Hoisin sauce. Easy on the rohypnol.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

You steam the broccoli until they've just gotten hot and the flavor starts to shift. They should still be crunchy. If they can be described in any way as "soft" then you've cooked them way too long.

Although to be honest broccoli is fine raw. Especially with some blue cheese dressing, but I used to just snack on a bag of broccoli wokkoli.

BTW after the discussion earlier, I had to go get pho for dinner. It was glorious.

Yeah I get a big bag of broccoli when I cook it because I just eat it raw while I'm preparing dinner.

Great vegetable.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

some people like food in different ways than me!!!!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

some people like food in different ways than me!!!!

YOUR FOOD HAS THE WRONG TYPE OF RAM

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
My wife is a big vegetable hater and the only loving way she ever lets me cook them is roasting them in the oven.

But the best broccoli I've ever had was steamed with butter, and nothing your rear end can say will change that :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

The perfect meal is a 16oz ribeye steak, whipped mashed potatoes with parmesean, and steam broccoli with butter.

Regardless of all this broccoli preparation chat I think I much prefer asparagus with my steaks.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chichevache posted:

Get pho taí, add a piece or two of jalapeño and a fuckload of Hoisin sauce. Easy on the rohypnol.

From the wiki on Hoisin:

Hoisin sauce is a thick, pungent sauce commonly used in Chinese cuisine as a glaze for meat. ?!?

The gently caress.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

From the wiki on Hoisin:

Hoisin sauce is a thick, pungent sauce commonly used in Chinese cuisine as a glaze for meat. ?!?

The gently caress.

It rules. Use it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anywhere you buy pho is going to have a ready supply of additives. There should be some kind of plum or tamarind-based sauce that is usually pretty mild, and then also a chili paste of some type. Plus the vegetables you get typically include thai basil, bean sprouts, and slices of pepper (I usually see jalapeno here).

Just dump in some of everything they give you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hoisin makes stir frying loving awesome.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Hoisin sauce is really loving good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well yes I mean I have some of course and I use it when stir frying. My point though is that the stuff they give you at a vietnamese restaurant might not be exactly hoisan sauce but it's what you should put in the soup if you want that and is probably better matched than whatever random bottle of hoisan you bought at safeway.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Regardless of all this broccoli preparation chat I think I much prefer asparagus with my steaks.

That works too, honestly.

edit:

God drat, it's offseason already.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Diqnol posted:

Hoisin makes stir frying loving awesome.

Spoeank posted:

Hoisin sauce is really loving good

I just did a beef Hoisin stir fry two nights ago. It was fantastic.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
There's a little bbq joint in one of our city neighborhoods that makes a hoisin-based bbq pork belly sandwich with a kimchee slaw that I will drives miles out my way for when the mood strikes me. it's so good lol

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok Jesus Christ on cooking some drat Broccoli.

And y'all should be doing asparagus or sautéed spinach instead.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Ok Jesus Christ on cooking some drat Broccoli.

And y'all should be doing asparagus or sautéed spinach instead.

I'm happy if a goon isn't wrapping a Double Down in a Baconator and complaining about the cost of their diabetes medicine. Don't whine about which kind of green vegetable they prefer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Tonight I had a ribeye with mushrooms cooked in wine and corn as the side dish. I am not a huge corn fan and normally would do creamed spinach or Brussels sprouts, but my step dad is trying a low potassium diet and that might be the biggest pain in the rear end diet in the world of low-[NUTRIENT] diets.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
My dad also loves to sautee mushrooms in wine.

I haven't done that poo poo in years. I gotta get that back on.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I'm having a protein shake and kettle brand salt&vinegar chips for dinner

Just saw a very overweight lady try to steal from a convenience store and the middle eastern shop owner tell her he'd call the cops if she ever tried it again in extremely broken English

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

My dad also loves to sautee mushrooms in wine.

I haven't done that poo poo in years. I gotta get that back on.

A cream brandy sauce is also amazing! What I did was cook the steaks in a pan, then transfer them to the broiler. While the steaks were cooking I sauteed the mushrooms in butter and a little bit of wine. After I transferred the steaks out, I deglazed the pan with wine and added the mushrooms to that mix. Came out really well!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

swickles posted:

Tonight I had a ribeye with mushrooms cooked in wine and corn as the side dish. I am not a huge corn fan and normally would do creamed spinach or Brussels sprouts, but my step dad is trying a low potassium diet and that might be the biggest pain in the rear end diet in the world of low-[NUTRIENT] diets.

I'm confused. What does a low potassium diet do and what does it entail?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chilichimp posted:

That works too, honestly.

edit:

God drat, it's offseason already.

The Chat Thread gives us the offseason all year round :swoon:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Makes you feel better about yourself without any of that tricky exercise nonsense.

Edit

Vvvv
Well I feel like a dick.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 12, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It is a diet designed to make intake of potassium as minimal as possible, which is difficult because its in almost everything. The population most likely to go on a low potassium diet are those with kidney issues, as potassium excretion is controlled by them. The reason why its a pain in the rear end, is that opposed to most nutrients where there tends to be a rule of thumb about what has what in it, potassium doesn't follow any such rule. For instance, people on blood thinners, specifically coumadin/warfarin are advised to avoid foods with Vitamin K. Well, leafy greens are the biggest sources of vitamin K, so in general, avoid those and you are good. Potassium is high in some veggies, but low in others. Same goes for almost every classification of food. You literally have to google the potassium content of every single food.

edit: High potassium in the blood has the pesky side effect of stopping the heart, so in populations where its a danger, the diet is strictly followed.

swickles fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 12, 2017

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
If only there was a way to communicate to TFF all the time in real time and have fun.

oh yeah its the tff discord.....

I stand with Daltos

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

you were framed man... i have the evidence

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TeeMerk posted:

If only there was a way to communicate to TFF all the time in real time and have fun.

I stand with Daltos

race baiter

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

TeeMerk posted:

I stand with Daltos

If only there was some forum that already united us and I don't want to go to another website to communicate with you nerds

Never follow a nerd to a second location

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TeeMerk posted:

you were framed man... i have the evidence

Thank you sir. I have appealed for reinstatement to the league for tomorrow.

Also thanks for the explanation Swickles. Cool poo poo to know:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Spoeank posted:

If only there was some forum that already united us and I don't want to go to another website to communicate with you nerds

Never follow a nerd to a second location

Obama couldn't get the country united because it didn't want to follow a nerd from shambles to prosperity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im not a nerd youre all loving nerds

• Locked thread