Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Feel free to vent as much as you need. Having lost a cat about a year and a half ago, I know how bad the guilt and second-guessing can be, but it honestly doesn't sound like there's anything you could have done or that you harmed Kirby in any way. It sounds like he loved and trusted you, you did your best to keep him happy and healthy, and there weren't any signs of illness that you could have noticed beforehand. Sometimes terrible things happen for no good reason, and I'm sorry this one happened to you and Kirby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sorry to hear about your loss ): it's never easy when a pet dies no matter how long they're with you.

Why does my cat have to watch us poop? If you close the doors to the bathroom he blindly claws through the gap between it and the floor so we tend to leave them open and he'll just sit there out of reach of pets and watch you poo.

If you bath he sits on top of the toilet and watches the entire time. Possibly out of awe how nothing bad comes from water.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I had to lock Cinnamon in cat jail(the bathroom) for a urine sample to see how her crystal issue is going and she held out for twenty hours of near-constant complaining before finally using the drat box and then getting pee-pawprints all over the bathroom because the test kit litter is of course non-absorbent. We ran the sample to the vet imediately because they told us fresher is better, and I sighed a sigh of relief because that was twenty hours of feeling like the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world. We tried to get the sample last week before we had to go out for the weekend but she is incredibly stubborn and refused to use the box in the time, so we had to wait til now to try again.

Today, the vet assistant calls me to say 'Whoops, we forgot to test the sample yesterday so we'll probably need a new one, sorry!' :ughh: She's offered to test it anyway, but when the vet comes in tomorrow it's his call on whether they need a fresh sample or not. I feel like I'm going to be spending a month of weekends begging my cat to just pee for the love of God.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

floofyscorp posted:

I had to lock Cinnamon in cat jail(the bathroom) for a urine sample to see how her crystal issue is going and she held out for twenty hours of near-constant complaining before finally using the drat box and then getting pee-pawprints all over the bathroom because the test kit litter is of course non-absorbent. We ran the sample to the vet imediately because they told us fresher is better, and I sighed a sigh of relief because that was twenty hours of feeling like the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world. We tried to get the sample last week before we had to go out for the weekend but she is incredibly stubborn and refused to use the box in the time, so we had to wait til now to try again.

Today, the vet assistant calls me to say 'Whoops, we forgot to test the sample yesterday so we'll probably need a new one, sorry!' :ughh: She's offered to test it anyway, but when the vet comes in tomorrow it's his call on whether they need a fresh sample or not. I feel like I'm going to be spending a month of weekends begging my cat to just pee for the love of God.

Get yourself a syringe and load her up with pedialyte(consult with vet on safe amount of max dosage), believe me she'll pee pretty fast.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to be told I'm a awful person. I have no idea what happened and I'm beating myself up over it super hard. My new cat Kirby was just found dead under my bed and my family can't figure out what the cause of death was.

We adopted him from a Petsmart shelter a couple weeks ago and bought the food they suggested for him and have been introducing him to the house slowly over time- I even made a post earlier about him and my other cat. (Who as of yesterday was finally willing to stop hissing at him)

This past Thursday I took him up to our local vet and had him checked out and updated on his shots and was told he was perfectly healthy and fine so was pretty happy about that. I've made sure personally that he's eating well and getting plenty of water and that he was using the litterbox whenever he had to go. Over time he began to trust us more and more and was finally at a point where he'd only go under my bed if it was time to nap. If I laid at the foot of my bed he'd look at me, come up to me and try to cuddle and go back to sleep and it was a thing.
Today he even climbed into the bed to try to take a nap next to me, I was pretty thrilled!

I just now came into my room to wind down and laid at the foot of the bed and noticed he wasn't even looking at me- I called his name tried to get his attention, nothing. Thankfully he was pretty close to the edge of my bed so I shrugged it off and decided I'd pet him and just let him rest, only when I felt him he was stiff as a board. I tried calling his name a few more times before gently pulling him out and he had just passed away at some point.

I know for a fact he hadn't gotten into any chemicals because frankly we don't have any that he could reach (cleaning supplies and the like are all kept locked in high up shelves) and our house is clean so I just don't know what could of happened. I'm loving miserable right now because I'm clueless and I feel like I've missed something.

You're a wonderful person. You adopted a kitty and you gave him a place he felt warm and comfortable, where Kirby had no worries about where to get food or water, and where pet was within immediate reach. From the sounds of it, it was something like an undetected heart condition or sudden stroke. It wasn't something that you could work with or plan around. You took him to the vet and he was checked out and given a clean bill of health, too. So, yes, it's wise to double-check all the things he might have got into and ensure they're all secure, but it sounds to me like what you did was good and kind, and whether it was for two weeks or twenty years, the life of comfort and love was appreciated.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mister Adequate posted:

You're a wonderful person. You adopted a kitty and you gave him a place he felt warm and comfortable, where Kirby had no worries about where to get food or water, and where pet was within immediate reach. From the sounds of it, it was something like an undetected heart condition or sudden stroke. It wasn't something that you could work with or plan around. You took him to the vet and he was checked out and given a clean bill of health, too. So, yes, it's wise to double-check all the things he might have got into and ensure they're all secure, but it sounds to me like what you did was good and kind, and whether it was for two weeks or twenty years, the life of comfort and love was appreciated.

^ this.

Guilt is pretty a common part of grief. You did all you could, and you did nothing wrong, and feeling guilty anyway is normal.

I'm really sorry for your loss :(

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
There was a little bit of a scare with my cat Sassy the other day when I woke up and the side of her head was just soaked in blood from her ear, but she seems to be doing much better now.

We cleaned her up, cleaned the cut and did what we could to keep her from messing with it. She hasn't bled or worked the scabs off in two days now so I think she'll be fine. Although I still want to take her to the vet in a few days when we get money to make sure there's no infection or whatever.

She's even more or less back to her normal "I'm better than all of you" attitude, so I'm pretty hopeful.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Perdy is still quite nervous about the kids and spends most of her day under the couch, but I've caught her slinking around when the kids are quiet or napping. :3:

Her and Princess get along very well; we almost swear Perdy thinks Princess is her mother, the way they act and play together. Even Todd is warming up to both of them. He still hisses, but it's halfhearted, with his ears up, and seems to be only when he's startled by them.

On another Toddy note, I think he's depressed about Quiggs...I started brushing him the other day and he just laid down on his side and shoved his head into my arm and put a paw on my leg. I think he misses the grooming. :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I came home from work today and Pepper started giving me her usual very loud lecture except this time Peridot replied to her from outside and we both went "Wait what??" Turns out she was hanging out on the wall of our little back courtyard. Didn't manage to get her back inside but she hung out there all evening and she eventually ate her food out the front like she has done for the past three nights, and the rangers should be able to get a trap to me tomorrow so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of getting her back inside tomorrow.

It also seems like Pepper does know who she is because she was a little perturbed but not as freaked out as she is with total stranger cats.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

I came home from work today and Pepper started giving me her usual very loud lecture except this time Peridot replied to her from outside and we both went "Wait what??" Turns out she was hanging out on the wall of our little back courtyard. Didn't manage to get her back inside but she hung out there all evening and she eventually ate her food out the front like she has done for the past three nights, and the rangers should be able to get a trap to me tomorrow so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of getting her back inside tomorrow.

It also seems like Pepper does know who she is because she was a little perturbed but not as freaked out as she is with total stranger cats.

Good news! Sounds like she knows where she wants to be, but just can't bring herself to come in on her own. I'm glad she's safe, anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Deteriorata posted:

Good news! Sounds like she knows where she wants to be, but just can't bring herself to come in on her own. I'm glad she's safe, anyway.

Yeah, glad to hear she's hanging around nearby! Hopefully the catte trappe will yield a Peridot very soon!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it weird that if I am able I will remove animal carcasses from the road and bury them?

I hate seeing dogs and cats run over, I hate it even more that they're just to lie there, I know their little soul is gone but still, it just isn't fair to leave it there. :smith:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Alteisen posted:

Is it weird that if I am able I will remove animal carcasses from the road and bury them?

I hate seeing dogs and cats run over, I hate it even more that they're just to lie there, I know their little soul is gone but still, it just isn't fair to leave it there. :smith:
I don't think so. Besides the fact that it's just gross leaving a corpse out in the way. Just yesterday I hauled a dead small furry creature off a bike path and into the garden on the side. It had been there a few days and nobody else was doing anything about it. I didn't want to ride past the next day and see that someone had ridden over it or something. Yuck.

Organza Quiz posted:

Woo! :dance:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dammit Peridot stop being a dumbass

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dammit Peridot stop being a dumbass

I'm afraid this is asking the impossible. After a month of watching Pepper deftly retrieving food from the food maze her only strategy has been to bite the plastic in the hopes that her mouth will eventually find food.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm afraid this is asking the impossible. After a month of watching Pepper deftly retrieving food from the food maze her only strategy has been to bite the plastic in the hopes that her mouth will eventually find food.

:lol:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh, no, your cat is broken like my cat.

I'm glad you will soon have your busted rear end cat back though, even a broken cat is a good cat in my opinion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

trap her by just leaving the food maze out!

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Well, it's been a few weeks and Caspian is pretty much the ruler of our house now. He's vocal as all hell and likes to sing to us constantly. He meows when he's doing pretty much anything, but he'll be quiet sometimes.

The only issue we have is that while he is getting pet and completely content, he'll sometimes flip over, bite your hand lightly, and do the bunny kick on your arm. He'll stop if you pull away, and doesn't try to latch on or anything. I feel like he's not necessarily being aggressive, but it's still a little scary only because I know he could eviscerate the hell out of my arm if he felt like it. We immediately stop giving him attention if he bites/nibbles/scratches at all, but he still keeps doing the bunny kick.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It might help if you give him a toy to bunnykick while you pet him. If you ever see cats interacting it's pretty normal for grooming to turn into playfighting and that's what he's doing with you. Ignoring it and stopping attention should also work in the long run but it can be kind of funny to watch a cat go to town on a toy while also enjoying pets.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

My cat's a wonderful boy, but in his old age he's started trying to eat plastic- plastic bags, specifically. I'm not sure what's causing it, but whatever it is, I'm worried that he'll somehow get at a plastic bag when I'm not around to catch him and choke or something. What can I do to fix my dumb boy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coating a few bags with bitter spray and leave them out when you're home to watch?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

He likes bitter spray. I've tried tape too, but I think he likes it as much as the plastic.

Can cats taste spicy things? and if so, is there a cat-safe pepper I can use to get him to stop?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

How do you train a young cat to use a litterbox with a door? The new cat is 7-8 months old and has no trouble using the litterboxes when the top is off, but she's just laid a massive poo poo on the carpet because we put the top back on after she showed signs of getting in there during a trial run yesterday. She poked her head against the door, tried pushing it open and then turned away cause the other cat was in there. We were obviously mistaken to think she'd learned how to use it, is there a way to actually train her to do it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nimby posted:

How do you train a young cat to use a litterbox with a door? The new cat is 7-8 months old and has no trouble using the litterboxes when the top is off, but she's just laid a massive poo poo on the carpet because we put the top back on after she showed signs of getting in there during a trial run yesterday. She poked her head against the door, tried pushing it open and then turned away cause the other cat was in there. We were obviously mistaken to think she'd learned how to use it, is there a way to actually train her to do it?

Sounds like she had the right idea but was just put off by the other cat being there. You should have more than one box with two cats anyway. Otherwise just start with the hood on but with the door removed until they're using it without problem then reintroduce the door on one then the other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

He likes bitter spray. I've tried tape too, but I think he likes it as much as the plastic.

Can cats taste spicy things? and if so, is there a cat-safe pepper I can use to get him to stop?

Have you tried more than one brand of bitter spray? Cats are supposed to dislike citrus, maybe rubbing a lemon over a bag?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I do have some lemon juice... I'll give that a shot.

I was trying this "bitter apple" spray that I got at the pet store earlier, but he's really into it. like, the gently caress.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sounds like she had the right idea but was just put off by the other cat being there. You should have more than one box with two cats anyway. Otherwise just start with the hood on but with the door removed until they're using it without problem then reintroduce the door on one then the other.

We've got a second box on the second floor, but they haven't used it since we removed the top of the other one. Guess it's just easier to poo poo in the open.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

OniKun posted:

Well, it's been a few weeks and Caspian is pretty much the ruler of our house now. He's vocal as all hell and likes to sing to us constantly. He meows when he's doing pretty much anything, but he'll be quiet sometimes.

The only issue we have is that while he is getting pet and completely content, he'll sometimes flip over, bite your hand lightly, and do the bunny kick on your arm. He'll stop if you pull away, and doesn't try to latch on or anything. I feel like he's not necessarily being aggressive, but it's still a little scary only because I know he could eviscerate the hell out of my arm if he felt like it. We immediately stop giving him attention if he bites/nibbles/scratches at all, but he still keeps doing the bunny kick.

That's just how they show love. Our cat only purrs when he's tearing my arms open. The girlfriend won't let him do that and coincidentally he and I have a better relationship than she has.

It's my fault because I encouraged it when he was a tiny kitten. Now he's an adult and it's less adorable and more painful

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm really happy momo doesn't get scratch-happy. He's such a good old boy. the biggest problem he has is the bag chewing thing and a propensity to murder the gently caress out of smaller living things.

I can't have plants or plastic but I got the best cat so it evens out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to get a plant but I assume Shithead will murder it. Dad was growing a pineapple and it was actually sprouting and green until we brought him in and he ate it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cacti work pretty good. Momo wants to eat my cactus real bad but it's spiky and he can't bite it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

nimby posted:

Well, in not sure if this helps, but I got my two at 2 years. I switched to a covered box, and the one cat just didn't know what to do. Poor guy peed on some clothes I'd left on the floor, instead.

I ended up showing him me pushing the flap open with my hand, and for a while I had the covered box there with the flap taken off. Once they were using the box I put the flap back and things worked.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

OniKun posted:

This is just normal behavior, honestly. When they get overstimulated they want to wrassel. If you watch the tail you can usually see when this is gonna happen. Basically just do what you're doing and back off when he gets too excited, and you'll be fine. Otherwise yeah, a stuffed toy or a cloth rag (NEVER YOUR HANDS) is a good distraction for kitty to tear into. In my experience this is something younger cats do a lot more often. Older cats will still do it but it takes a lot longer to get them over the threshold, or they only have certain spots (like trying for a tummy rub) that will trigger it.

It's not aggression so don't be worried about it. I have a specific phrase "Be nice!!" whenever my cats get too bitey/scratchy and they learned that meant to chill out, over time.

He could eviscerate your arm but he won't, because he wuvs you. Just play it how you're playing it and everything will be fine.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

So the good news is Peridot is perfectly happy to walk into the trap to eat the food, the bad news is she's too light to trigger the trap. I tried it myself and it takes quite a bit of force to push it down. I'm going to try putting heavier things on it so that the combined weight of her and the things is enough to trigger it.

ETA: Put a couple of shoes in there, oiled the bit that has to slide together to make it go off and angled the food so she'd have to go all the way onto the plate and lean right over to get any food out. It still feels like it takes a lot of force to make it shut though so I'm going to phone the ranger tomorrow again and see if she has any advice or if I'm setting it wrong or something. I don't think I'm setting it wrong because when I triggered it to test it after she'd set it it took just as much force and I'm pretty sure this is the only way to do it so that the door stays up and can fall down when the pressure plate is pressed.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Wait for it...

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

I do have some lemon juice... I'll give that a shot.

I was trying this "bitter apple" spray that I got at the pet store earlier, but he's really into it. like, the gently caress.

Good luck, Sociopastry! My cat won this war with me and now all plastic bags live in a cupboard she's not able to open. Hopefully she is too loving dumb to learn.

I know everyone says their cats are dumb, but I genuinely think my cat is...a little slow. You know how that pop IQ test for cats is throwing a blanket over them and seeing how long it takes to get out?

Mulder lies down and waits for death, crying.

Anyway, lemon juice works on my mom's cats, I haven't had any luck with pet store sprays either. The kitten I fostered for a while thought bitter spray was delicious and only chewed things sprayed with it more, purring gratefully for how thoughtful we were to provide so many great flavored cord treats to gnaw.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Tiny Deer posted:

You know how that pop IQ test for cats is throwing a blanket over them and seeing how long it takes to get out?

Mulder lies down and waits for death, crying.

Loki just quietly sits there when you drop a blanket on him. Doesn't squirm out of it, doesn't make a peep. I'm not sure if he's stupid or just so laid-back he doesn't care. I always end up removing the blanket in the end because I worry he'll overheat or suffocate or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We've had Princess for a month and I've already lost count of how many times I've found her either under my 4-year-old's blankets or my 2-year-old's blankets (on a bunk bed, so she'll hop onto the toy box and up to the top bunk to snuggle in), or under our blankets. She always looks so pissed off when I find her too.