Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

dat blade lag :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Finger Prince posted:

Counterpoint, I've seen them being put together, and clambered around inside and outside them at various states of being put together, and have been to the production line on multiple occasions. But don't just take my word for it; http://bfy.tw/A0Uo

Also before they went down the line like that, they towed them across to the paint hangar at night to paint them white, so technically they were painted white before ever seeing daylight. In one of those images there's even an Air Canada fin with a white fuselage. They all have a white basecoat before going across the road for final customer paint.

You also said they arrive at the factory painted. Seeing as I delivered them to you unpainted, I know that wasn't true. Googling more recent deliveries has revealed to me that Boeing has offloaded painting to my previous employer since I left, however. Willing to bet that had less to do with UV protection and more to do with Boeing wanting to do less work.

If you go more than 2 rows down that google image search, you start seeing tons of unpainted 787's in the late stages of final assembly. You can even spot line units where painting was offloaded to suppliers one-by-one.

Also, as you can see, Airbus has no problems taking unpainted A350s outside in the daylight, because there's no exposed carbon once you're done making a carbon fiber skin panel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Almost a big whoopsie here

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...fic-controllers

Pics of the runway, that woulda been.. interesting

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ApathyGifted posted:

You also said they arrive at the factory painted. Seeing as I delivered them to you unpainted, I know that wasn't true. Googling more recent deliveries has revealed to me that Boeing has offloaded painting to my previous employer since I left, however. Willing to bet that had less to do with UV protection and more to do with Boeing wanting to do less work.

If you go more than 2 rows down that google image search, you start seeing tons of unpainted 787's in the late stages of final assembly. You can even spot line units where painting was offloaded to suppliers one-by-one.

Also, as you can see, Airbus has no problems taking unpainted A350s outside in the daylight, because there's no exposed carbon once you're done making a carbon fiber skin panel.

Isn't it great? We're both right! :hfive:
It used to all arrive unpainted, and Boeing would tow the aircraft across the road at night to paint them. As the production line evolved and eked out efficiencies, they started getting that process done by the vendors and parts started to arrive at the factory pre painted. Either way, they can't do a bare carbon edition because they're painted before they ever see daylight. I will concede that they, or anyone really, could strip the aircraft after delivery and clear coat it, which brings it around to your point, they look kind of beige and lovely without paint. It's not like a Pagani Zonda with neatly aligned bookmatched carbon weave.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

priznat posted:

Almost a big whoopsie here

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...fic-controllers

Pics of the runway, that woulda been.. interesting

runway's in about as good a condition as the average CF-18

on the other hand it's nice that they asked ATC and ATC said "nope" and they ended up landing in the right place, unlike certain C-17s landing in the wrong place :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair, I can see how you'd get confused between airports in Florida because it seemed like they were loving everywhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

To be fair, I can see how you'd get confused between airports in Florida because it seemed like they were loving everywhere.

If you're above say, eight thousand feet in a 172, it's really hard to be outside of gliding distance of SOMETHING, even if it's just a grass strip.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

It's all flat and everyone wants a way out fast.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

If you're above say, eight thousand feet in a 172, it's really hard to be outside of gliding distance of SOMETHING, even if it's just a grass strip.

I took a training course once on avionics and when explaining about approach and landing requirements they showed all the landing strips on Florida in a big map because it was basically the comedy option of maps.

EG:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol violatin' airspace errday

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jealous Cow posted:

It's all flat and everyone wants a way out fast.

Yeah but why do they come back?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Yeah but why do they come back?

Can't cope with the normals in other states.

Also, ain't she a beauty?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Jealous Cow posted:

Can't cope with the normals in other states.

Also, ain't she a beauty?

For a few secs I thought the tail behind was the other wing, and it was rocking some sick dihedral.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

meltie posted:

For a few secs I thought the tail behind was the other wing, and it was rocking some sick dihedral.

Nah the new winglet packages are just... a wee bit absurd.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
I happened to find myself off the departure end of Nellis AFB today, for what should have been the last day sortie of Red Flag. Unfortunately, weather cancelled the fun. Fortunately there was still some stuff cruising about.

wkarma fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I actually spent a few minutes near ours (I have the drat flight schedule, I have no excuse not do it more often) and all I got was a C-130 and a couple of Hornets at a distance.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

wkarma posted:

I happened to find myself off the departure end of Nellis AFB today, for what should have been the last day sortie of Red Flag. Unfortunately, weather cancelled the fun. Fortunately there was still some stuff cruising about.

AH yes, canceling the war for inclement weather, just like the olden days.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

So yesterday a flight from Stansted to Tenerife had a technical issue and needed to make an emergency landing. I'm a little intrigued as to why they chose Manchester though, poor holiday makers:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thomas Cook has a maintenance base there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JingleBells posted:

So yesterday a flight from Stansted to Tenerife had a technical issue and needed to make an emergency landing. I'm a little intrigued as to why they chose Manchester though, poor holiday makers:

Could be that's where the spare aircraft/parts/hangar slot was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JingleBells posted:

Hope they had time for a pint at the Marble Arch.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wkarma posted:

I see they brought out the last flyable F/A 18

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

tactlessbastard posted:

The US Marine Corps and Canada: too cheap to change

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:gizz:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nebakenezzer posted:

The US Marine Corps and Canada: too cheap to change

That's a Growler, they're new and shiny.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Original F/A-18s have round intakes. The square intakes on that one indicate that it's an E or F model Super Hornet. :ssh:

e: beaten

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Original F/A-18s have round intakes. The square intakes on that one indicate that it's an E or F model Super Hornet. :ssh:

e: beaten

Is it only the original hornets that are all down for lack of parts? CNN wasn't specific.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's a Growler, they're new and shiny.

"You shall ride eternal, shiny and *static and white noise*."

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

tactlessbastard posted:

Is it only the original hornets that are all down for lack of parts? CNN wasn't specific.

Yeah, like no poo poo every single one

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

tactlessbastard posted:

Baby Hornets are definitely worse off, but Supers aren't doing great either. Keep in mind it's not just parts availability, there's also a big maintenance backlog due to manpower issues. Last time I drove by the depot at NAS North Island in San Diego there was a huge field of Hornets waiting to be worked on.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Baby Hornets are definitely worse off, but Supers aren't doing great either. Keep in mind it's not just parts availability, there's also a big maintenance backlog due to manpower issues. Last time I drove by the depot at NAS North Island in San Diego there was a huge field of Hornets waiting to be worked on.

I posted this in the Cold War thread, seems relevant:

Nebakenezzer posted:

I admittedly saw this story on foxtrot alpha, but it directs back to a defense daily story - "More than half of the US Navy's fighter jets can't fly."

TL;DR the inability of government during the Obama administration to agree on a budget has had some effects

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: nevermind

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Not my gallery, but one I figured would be appreciated here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That "elephant walk" shot of the C-17s as far as the eye can see should be the new-age substitute for that iconic "Peace Through Superior Firepower" B-52 image.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That "elephant walk" shot of the C-17s as far as the eye can see should be the new-age substitute for that iconic "Peace Through Superior Firepower" B-52 image.

Peace through superior logisistics

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I never get tired of rato bottles.

even when ripping the wings of aircraft

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kilonum posted:

The most unbelievable part of Red Storm Rising was the part where the Russians were landing Il-76s at Keflavik in like ten minute intervals.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 12, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why don't the aft planes flame out with the front planes blowing the exhaust straight at their intakes?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Perspective probably. I doubt they are eating fumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kilonum posted:

Well, I mean, that's probably not wrong, but the people who say "peace through superior firepower" unironically probably wouldn't give a drat.