Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Verranicus posted:

If someone is able to explain this to me it would be great cause just the way I see it those that enjoy killing other players could be the next serial killer in your neighborhood.

I'm not a huge pvper myself - but from what I gather, open world pvp adds a bit of flavor to an mmo world if done correctly. I like the concept of open world pvp - the looking over your shoulder, worried about danger at every turn. However, in practice, you find that in games with open world pvp enabled, the participants are A) players who have the best gear and are at max level vs B) newer, casual players at lower levels that can't really defend themselves. For A players, the fun comes from griefing, and B players don't have very much fun. This happened a shitton on PvP servers in WoW. The open world PvP was a blast on a new server, where all the players were leveling up fresh characters and could lead to some very tense moments. However, over time, it becomes more of an annoyance than anything else.

That being said, one of the best moments I've ever had in any MMO was in WoW's early days. A day after launch, I was playing with a few friends and hitting a new zone as horde. We were playing as a group when out of nowhere we ran into a group of Alliance players questing together as well. Each group saw the other but both kept their distance until there was a rarer mining node that had spawned. One of our guys ran to mine the ore, and ended up being attacked by the alliance players. Things quickly spiraled out of control and 3-4 hours later, it turned into more than just a battle between our group and theirs - several other groups of each factions became involved, no one quested or leveled for poo poo, and it became all about the battle for Ashenvale. It was a blast.

Too bad these types of things stopped happening. I believe the reason to be instanced battlegrounds and rewards - when there were no rewards except early bragging rights and map resources, things happened. When it became about the "honor system" and earning loot in safe spaces, open world pvp stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caeks posted:

I'm not a huge pvper myself - but from what I gather, open world pvp adds a bit of flavor to an mmo world if done correctly. I like the concept of open world pvp - the looking over your shoulder, worried about danger at every turn. However, in practice, you find that in games with open world pvp enabled, the participants are A) players who have the best gear and are at max level vs B) newer, casual players at lower levels that can't really defend themselves. For A players, the fun comes from griefing, and B players don't have very much fun. This happened a shitton on PvP servers in WoW. The open world PvP was a blast on a new server, where all the players were leveling up fresh characters and could lead to some very tense moments. However, over time, it becomes more of an annoyance than anything else.

That being said, one of the best moments I've ever had in any MMO was in WoW's early days. A day after launch, I was playing with a few friends and hitting a new zone as horde. We were playing as a group when out of nowhere we ran into a group of Alliance players questing together as well. Each group saw the other but both kept their distance until there was a rarer mining node that had spawned. One of our guys ran to mine the ore, and ended up being attacked by the alliance players. Things quickly spiraled out of control and 3-4 hours later, it turned into more than just a battle between our group and theirs - several other groups of each factions became involved, no one quested or leveled for poo poo, and it became all about the battle for Ashenvale. It was a blast.

Too bad these types of things stopped happening. I believe the reason to be instanced battlegrounds and rewards - when there were no rewards except early bragging rights and map resources, things happened. When it became about the "honor system" and earning loot in safe spaces, open world pvp stopped.

How do people still not know Verranicus's gimmick? Quoting so you can't edit your shame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's not really shameful. post from the heart.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

How do people still not know Verranicus's gimmick? Quoting so you can't edit your shame.

I don't understand and that went way over my head. I attempt to answer everyone sincerely unless it's Jastiger.

Countblanc posted:

it's not really shameful. post from the heart.

This.

Also, what ever happened to that VR FFXIV thing? I read it was pretty terrible but I'm sticking to my prophecy in that I believe VR to be the next big MMO leap.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

(Verranicus is usually copy-pasting posts from the game's official forums.)

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Asimo posted:

(Verranicus is usually copy-pasting posts from the game's official forums.)

Oh god damnit I think I responded to one of his posts even earlier in this thread.

Whatever though!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Caeks posted:

Also, what ever happened to that VR FFXIV thing? I read it was pretty terrible but I'm sticking to my prophecy in that I believe VR to be the next big MMO leap.

It was only ever going to be a one-off demo thing at that trade show.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my biggest gripe with pvp right now is that you can't queue for 8v8v8. much like wow, the bigger bgs are just clusterfucks, and it's not very enjoyable to be playing player vs player but knowing you're having next to no impact on the game at large unless you're the one biting the bullet and orchestrating the 23 other strangers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Caeks posted:

Oh god damnit I think I responded to one of his posts even earlier in this thread.

Whatever though!
There is no Verranicus, there is only the OF slopping over the sides of it's containment vat and splattering over the thread.

Any mention to the contrary is a bubble popping on that vat.

homeless snail posted:

Your job as a pvp tank is to live, and be loving annoying, so job well done.

Maximum annoyance is fun!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Verranicus alternates between OF safari and having legitimately held terrible opinions so I don't really blame anybody who got confused.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Verranicus alternates between OF safari and having legitimately held terrible opinions so I don't really blame anybody who got confused.

Roe women: still ugly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The other day, it finally happened. Someone in a party I was matched with started telling me my virtual game character was hot. God save the queen.

Verranicus posted:

hey gently caress you buddy

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I bust out the classic ironworks every now and then. Looks pretty cool.

Yeah, for as old as the ironworks set are, they are still pretty unique and good looking. You can't go wrong simply using a full ironworks set as glamour.

Verranicus posted:

Fight me

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Verranicus posted:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Don't post that ugly mug in here.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
make eorzea great again

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
90% certain the reason why I have Verranicus on ignore is because all of their opinions (except on BLM rotations, credit where credit is due) are bad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Speaking of BLM rotations, how should I be using Sharpcast?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

WrightOfWay posted:

with blizzard 2 on one mob for the non-existent freeze free proc

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WrightOfWay posted:

Non-jokingly, it speeds up your starter because Fire -> Firestarter'd Fire 3 is faster than a normal Fire 3 without Umbral 3.

That's pretty much it.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 12, 2017

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
There's also some use to sharpcasting your thunder 1 for a free proc if you know your moving in 10 seconds, and just getting that thunder 3 proc to throw out after a few more casts.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Augus posted:

The other day, it finally happened. Someone in a party I was matched with started telling me my virtual game character was hot. God save the queen.

This is rare? I get that at least once a month. As a dude character. I imagine lady characters encounter this with much higher frequency.

I suspect only the potatoes have reasonable expectations of immunity from this, and I also suspect they're not entirely immune either because people are creepy like that.

Vil fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 12, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vil posted:

This is rare? I get that at least once a month. As a dude character. I imagine lady characters encounter this with much higher frequency.

I don't think I've ever gotten it

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten it

Assuming your forum avatar is your own character, my stealth edit to my earlier post may account for the explanation.

Alternatively, it could just be that my character is unusually hot. I will accept this as a realistic possibility.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I get comments on my "classic" Black Mage outfit, but not my hotness. Not surprising though given you can barely see my character under the robe and hat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vil posted:

Assuming your forum avatar is your own character, my stealth edit to my earlier post may account for the explanation.

Alternatively, it could just be that my character is unusually hot. I will accept this as a realistic possibility.

It isn't someone gave it to me because I posted about hating lalas

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

You have my sympathies.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

new gpose owns, /glasses owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

you should change to that character, they look cool.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

welcome to the club friend

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vil posted:

I suspect only the potatoes have reasonable expectations of immunity from this, and I also suspect they're not entirely immune either because people are creepy like that.

My roe gets it _all the tiiiiiiiime_ in groups. It doesn't help that usually, I don't even notice it until afterwards because I have FC chat open for shooting the poo poo and BMing pubbies.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Argas posted:

Don't post that ugly mug in here.

It was for a good cause.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vil posted:

This has literally never happened to me, and I've played a catgirl for close to 180 days.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Vil posted:

My male potato had my unglamoured clownsuit on and I even got hit on. I think it was the Shire BLM top hat and monocle that caused it.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

No one really gets ganked in this game, time-to-kill is so incredibly high for everyone except like an unaware Ninja who gets hit by a F4 > Firestarter > Thundercloud.

I just want to quote this post because it is incredible to me.

I mean it is mad loving wrong but it is incredible.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ttk in this game is very long and the amount of coordination required to 100-to-0 someone is also very high. if you're routinely being killed in a like two globals in BGs, which is about the span of time it takes even a bad healer to save your life, the issue isn't that you're being ganked, it's that you're playing poorly. even bard and mch can't regularly put out that much damage.

if you're smart about purify usage and could keep them out of Sleep, healer output was good enough to make feast 4v4 matches go to time, and if you didn't bring a melee LB you pretty much could forget about bursting anyone while a healer was actually healing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I just want to quote this post because it is incredible to me.

I mean it is mad loving wrong but it is incredible.

The only time you die super quickly in PVP in this game is if an entire alliance is dogpiling you all at once and you're not a healer (in which case they'd need 2 alliances to kill you because boy howdy are healers broken in PVP).

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I've never gotten the "Oh man you're so hot please touch my digital penis" thing, but I did get someone in a dungeon going "...drat, you're tall." once. :v:

I'm a max height Roegadame, I would hope I'm tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I get the odd rando hitting on my Roegadame now and then. It's uncommon enough that it's still notable when it happens.

• Locked thread