Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
People were excited because it was a 10 second glimpse of when the Simpsons had good comedic timing and had subversive humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And the best thing is it's not even an original song, it's a cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O27fagObxaM

what the gently caress

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And the best thing is it's not even an original song, it's a cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O27fagObxaM

you just blew my mind

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

:mrwhite:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Junk posted:

I can't find anything about this, do you have a link or know why he didn't enjoy it?

gently caress, now I can't find it either. Wherever it was, it didn't provide a reason, just some fan claiming he didn't like the experience and that was why Herb only ever returned as a one-line "I'm poor again" thing. It seemed to make sense at the time.

Although in looking for it I found out that, thanks to an Arnold Schwarzenegger-based joke in the Simpsons Movie, Danny DeVito does simultaneously exist as a person in the Simpsons universe. God drat it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

S13E04.

BURNS: "Remember, there's no muscle stronger than the human heart."

HOMER: "What about the weiner? I saw a guy on tv lift a can of paint with his."

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

S13E04.

BURNS: "Remember, there's no muscle stronger than the human heart."

HOMER: "What about the weiner? I saw a guy on tv lift a can of paint with his."

That made me chuckle but I'm betting it was the only good thing in the following episode:

quote:

Homer becomes a fortune cookie writer for a Chinatown restaurant. Mr. Burns reads one of Homer's fortunes, which says that the reader will find love before Flag Day is over. Burns goes searching for love and meets Gloria, a meter maid, and asks her out. Gloria reluctantly agrees, and Burns recruits Homer to help him look young and hip to his new girlfriend.

Guest star: Julia Louis-Dreyfus and George Takei.[18]

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Here you go, a direct compare-and-contrast of the same type of joke made on the same type of episode of the Simpsons, then vs. now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMlyIDCAow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzt0xBXTNhI

I really think this about sums everything up.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 12, 2017

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Here you go, a direct compare-and-contrast of the same type of joke made on the same type of episode of the Simpsons, then vs. now:

Man, they'd never be able to get away with all those anti-Chinese jokes now.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Bart the Mother had some good lines but that was the episode I remember thinking huh this really isnt that funny anymore. A lot of the cruddier episodes from 10, 11 and 12 were like that. Marge vs the Monorail was one of the highest points though, because my wife who can't stand the Simpsons even laughed at the "The kids can call you Hoju!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsoc1K30Zb0

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

That made me chuckle but I'm betting it was the only good thing in the following episode:

No it was the worst part I watched that episode's first run and that was the moment I knew the show was as dead as God and my childhood innocence

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

No it was the worst part I watched that episode's first run and that was the moment I knew the show was as dead as God and my childhood innocence

Hmmm, it seems like a classic Homer thing to say, although I'm sure the phrasing would have had to be different in earlier seasons.

Who's to say I suppose

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Khorne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb7peg0gq-o

That's a clip from S18. It's nothing earth shattering, but the idea and UPS being A.S.S are pretty solid. The rest of the episode is homer making a rec room in a basement and kicking the kids out which is how they get into that situation. If all the later season episodes were like that one I'd call anyone complaining cranky old nerds. Like the people who hate on south park. A show can't be hitting it out of the park for decades. It will have to slide into some mediocrity groove at some point. Unfortunately, that's probably one of the best later episodes I've seen. Most new simpsons is not mediocrity just really, really bland. :(

ehh. its not the worst thing i have seen but its way to long and not that funny.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

This just feels like something that belongs in Ren & Stimpy or Rugrats or Hey Arnold or some other Nicktoons show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Geez, actually watching some of these clips like the China trip and Box Fort are making me seriously hate this show.

I have to actively cordon off my memories of the earlier seasons to keep them pristine.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The thing these clips are really highlighting is brevity being lost. The monk guards joke would have been perfectly funny as a throwback (and not a drawn out knock off) if he did the same poo poo then the monk delivers a single spin kick from the same camera pov. Instead of a whole fight scene. Plus removing Marge explaining the joke we're about to see, wtf.

Basically same poo poo with the box fort, cut it in half. Kids talk to Flanders, bart says "hmmmm", next shot they're both on top of the castle and the delivery army appears.

poo poo is drawn out and over explained.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PallasAthene posted:

This just feels like something that belongs in Ren & Stimpy or Rugrats or Hey Arnold or some other Nicktoons show.

I uh think you might be forgetting the type of tone Ren & Stimpy was rolling with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCa7tKiCMN4

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

When you can have a "joke" fill in literally 4 or 5 times as much run time you don't have to think as hard.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Scudworth posted:

The thing these clips are really highlighting is brevity being lost. The monk guards joke would have been perfectly funny as a throwback (and not a drawn out knock off) if he did the same poo poo then the monk delivers a single spin kick from the same camera pov. Instead of a whole fight scene. Plus removing Marge explaining the joke we're about to see, wtf.

Basically same poo poo with the box fort, cut it in half. Kids talk to Flanders, bart says "hmmmm", next shot they're both on top of the castle and the delivery army appears.

Gotta fill that time somehow. In recent seasons, some of the episodes have been so short that they've had to add little skits and other poo poo totally unrelated to the plot at the end of the show. Which comes off exactly as stupid and out-of-place as you'd think.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHdJZu49aTc

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

That was a one-off and funny because it wasn't funny sort of thing. Now it's just sad.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
maybe they should show a Conway Twitty video to spend 5 minutes

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

the way he says "okely dokely doo" at the end just kills me

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

maybe they should show a Conway Twitty video to spend 5 minutes

I prefer the Family Guy Conway Twitty thing to some of the Simpsons clips in this thread, to be honest.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the last two seasons of futurama were so very bad that they ruined earlier funnier seasons. Horrible pacing. Horrible jokes. Total garbage

Here's something very funny and worth watching; a round table with Conan and a few other writers shooting the poo poo about their processes from the glory days of the Simpsons. I find it really interesting that you can look at them and see the resemblance of characters in the show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJ28qOEG1g

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So, given the sort of bubble of constantly maintaining some level of an unchanging universe, what would be different if the show started in different years?

If the show were starting starting 15 years ago, maybe in a world where South Park and Family Guy just never existed due to there being no Simpsons emerging nearly a decade sooner, would Burns would be running "BurnsMart" supercorp. instead of a nuclear power plant? Homer would be a greeter as a job where he's easily ignored, treated like a number, unrecognized by his own boss who he greets on a daily basis? Also, with the eventual death of local broadcaster cartoons and stuff like Bozo within just a few years, would even Krusty exist on the show past a certain point in a world where the audience were growing up without stuff like classic H-B, WB and etc. cartoon shorts in constant rotation as a point of reference? Flanders being sort of a less likeable and compassionate character and more a prosperity doctrine preaching one?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I've literally never watched a single episode of the Simpsons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Scudworth posted:

There's some good jokes in the setup to them building a fort, like the bait and switch where Bart gives the name of the company which is pretty "classic Simpsons." But then yeah, the battle scene goes on forever, isn't funny,and is way too over the top and cartoonish.

You can just picture what the writer's room was like for these episodes. Formerly they would pitch joke ideas, and only note them if they made them laugh in that moment, and then later still only use them if they still seemed funny after numerous read throughs. In contrast I highly doubt anyone laughed at the entire battle scene concept and it was as dull as any business meeting anywhere. "We need to pad the episode, come up with lots of shipping-related visual puns for the "battle."

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Is it possible that The Simpsons has never been funny and the "golden years" were only good because we were kids when we watched them? :monocle:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pawn 17 posted:

Is it possible that The Simpsons has never been funny and the "golden years" were only good because we were kids when we watched them? :monocle:
No, watch them now, they're just as funny or funnier because you understand more jokes.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, given the sort of bubble of constantly maintaining some level of an unchanging universe, what would be different if the show started in different years?

If the show were starting starting 15 years ago, maybe in a world where South Park and Family Guy just never existed due to there being no Simpsons emerging nearly a decade sooner, would Burns would be running "BurnsMart" supercorp. instead of a nuclear power plant? Homer would be a greeter as a job where he's easily ignored, treated like a number, unrecognized by his own boss who he greets on a daily basis? Also, with the eventual death of local broadcaster cartoons and stuff like Bozo within just a few years, would even Krusty exist on the show past a certain point in a world where the audience were growing up without stuff like classic H-B, WB and etc. cartoon shorts in constant rotation as a point of reference? Flanders being sort of a less likeable and compassionate character and more a prosperity doctrine preaching one?

I think it was written to be generic enough that major character traits and backgrounds wouldn't need to change to make sense as a new show today. It just feels like they would because the show and characters themselves are so stale.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Last year I was taking a bus regularly and watched two episodes per day to pass the time. From season 2 right up until Season 10 it was great, then the quality dropped off a cliff like a fat guy doing an ill-conceived skateboard stunt.

Also the idea that it's just nostalgia is seriously dumb. Sure, the show and all the staff just magically remained the same for 20 whole years. Haha

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

For a long time I didn't even know they still made new episodes and I was kinda taken aback when I saw one. It was like watching a really bad parody. Can't remember which one it was, but it honestly sounded like they were playing their roles sarcastically without even the merest pretence at real effort. Embarrassingly bad. Worse than Superman 3 bad

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Pawn 17 posted:

This keeps getting brought up like a new idea every few pages and the answer is no, based on people watching it at the time knowing something changed, and showing old seasons to adults who had never seen them in childhood. It's not the same show.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Scudworth posted:

This keeps getting brought up like a new idea every few pages and the answer is no, based on people watching it at the time knowing something changed, and showing old seasons to adults who had never seen them in childhood. It's not the same show.

Off the top of my head, I think about that joke where Homer borrowed The Lottery from the library for help winning the actual lottery to pay for Santa's Little Helper's surgery.

If you're a little kid, it's funny how Kent Brockman explains it's not actually about the lottery, and Homer hucks it in the fireplace that has several other books, as a good sight gag.
Watch it again as a high school student, and you've read The Lottery, and it's a whole new joke.
Watch it after being a little more well-read, and you'll notice the other books in the fireplace, representing Homer's failure to fix his problems with books titled what he he was trying to accomplish, but that don't actually have useful tips (Fatherhood and Canine Surgery); and also Farenheit 451

It's so dense, every single image has so much going on.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Jesus loving Christ, that pogo stick "gag" is the textbook definition of every loving thing that's so goddamn wrong with The Simpsons now.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I'm loving upset now.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I am praying for you in these trying times

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just don't get how they can't find like a single funny writer. Is this a WWE situation where they keep the writing staff purposely lovely and insular because they know they can just coast on the core fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like someone else said earlier, it's people who grew up on the simpsons writing it now. it's like when you compare the original star wars flicks to the expanded universe novels and poo poo. on the surface level it looks the same but the people writing the new stuff didn't really get what made the original property so great.

also laziness.