Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Those beautiful cities that we never see?

But they were so lovely to visit, and so like Earth's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So I'm watching "Our Man Bashir" for the first time, and Garak's professional horror at James Bond is pretty loving amazing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

RIP Mona Luvsitt.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

So I'm watching "Our Man Bashir" for the first time, and Garak's professional horror at James Bond is pretty loving amazing.

yeah its one of my favorite standalone episodes

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

basic hitler posted:

yeah its one of my favorite standalone episodes

The implications of how transporter tech worked must have driven continuity freaks crazy though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, I love how there's at least one goddamn character who doesn't fetishize the 20th century and realizes it was really lovely for the vast majority of the human race.

"If they'll buy poison, they'll buy anything. I think I'm going to like it here."

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Police Automaton posted:

does anyone remember the episode of voyager where they came down with an affliction that turned everyone into a really interesting and three-dimensional character?

The first half of the dinosaur episode ("Distant Origin" s3 e23) isn't about Voyager at all, it follows a small science ship with two reptilian characters- a main researcher and his timid but well meaning assistant grad student. Over the course of this we learn that the student is not so secretly in love with his mentor's daughter, which is forbidden in their culture due to some class system but the professor has become so found of his student that he's probably going to allow them to marry. Then they detect Voyager and beam on to it to study the crew using their super advanced phase cloaking system and they watch BLT and Paris flirting and mock them.

I was more invested in these two new lizard aliens than the entire Voyager crew.
They also had more fleshed out personalities and back stories. I did not want to leave these guys.

Anyway, this happens and it's all poo poo and it becomes a creationism vs science play. gently caress this show. I want the alien professor & grad student show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjuptfaTqyo

Also they go through a whole trial scene where it becomes clear that the researcher is either going to be killed or have to give up his life's work and AT NO POINT does anyone on Voyager say "gently caress this come with us buddy science man"
Chakotay visits the dude in his new lovely depressing mineral research lab just to be like "Wow this really sucks for you huh. Well, bye."

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 11, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I always found it more believable that lumbering cretaceous period dinosaurs were able to get up the earth's gravity well and fashion a generational ship capable of travelling clear across the galaxy, having left behind no evidence at all of such an endeavor, than I was able to suspend disbelief that the ancient Bajorans could make a two week journey out of their own solar system with full documentation and validation of their methods

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shadow puppet of a posted:

I always found it more believable that lumbering cretaceous period dinosaurs were able to get up the earth's gravity well and fashion a generational ship capable of travelling clear across the galaxy, having left behind no evidence at all of such an endeavor, than I was able to suspend disbelief that the ancient Bajorans could make a two week journey out of their own solar system with full documentation and validation of their methods

For the sake of argument, you could probably handwave whatever civilization they had got hosed beyond recognition by the asteroid strike.

Scudworth posted:

Also they go through a whole trial scene where it becomes clear that the researcher is either going to be killed or have to give up his life's work and AT NO POINT does anyone on Voyager say "gently caress this come with us buddy science man"
Chakotay visits the dude in his new lovely depressing mineral research lab just to be like "Wow this really sucks for you huh. Well, bye."

While that is true, staying means at least he's still able to try and quietly influence his people one day maybe.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While that is true, staying means at least he's still able to try and quietly influence his people one day maybe.

I appreciate this angle but this is Voyager so it's never mentioned at all. No throwaway lines in that direction, nothing. They're leaving him in his new lovely life.

I compare this to the 4th season TNG episode that's kinda similar and ends with the warp scientist/science minister of a similar overly bureaucratic society asking Picard to take her off this backwards hellhole of a planet and he agrees.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rick Berman gets a lot of (justified) poo poo and killed Star Trek for many years, and DS9 is objectively the best series, but I really like the optimism and hope and sense of family that TNG has which he really stuck to his guns about, which is why it's my favourite despite DS9 being better. I'd love to be a part of that future where people have got their poo poo together and are better and aren't petty or dumb, and it's even more important now than it was when it aired. Also the D is the best ship and I wish we'd gotten her in First Contact instead.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I liked 11:59.

You get a stock story with good sets and music that enhance the bleak atmosphere of people who get left behind by history, where mole grew gets to play a likable character for which her acting style is suited, and you get to watch Janeway get her dreams crushed as the story is revealed.

It's great because you know it's going to happen and she's all 'those stupid Hicks didn't want my space Needle' and 'my ancestor was three best space ubermensch there was and everyone else sucked compared to her' and you know she's going to get her comeuppance and it's great and guest stars the guy who played the bar owner in Roadhouse

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alan_Shore posted:

Rick Berman gets a lot of (justified) poo poo and killed Star Trek for many years, and DS9 is objectively the best series, but I really like the optimism and hope and sense of family that TNG has which he really stuck to his guns about, which is why it's my favourite despite DS9 being better. I'd love to be a part of that future where people have got their poo poo together and are better and aren't petty or dumb, and it's even more important now than it was when it aired. Also the D is the best ship and I wish we'd gotten her in First Contact instead.

I think it's ok for TNG and DS9 to share the joint title of "GOOD rear end TREK" for different reasons.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I think it's ok for TNG and DS9 to share the joint title of "GOOD rear end TREK" for different reasons.

I think so too, you cheeky chappie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I found the conflict in DS9 made the friendships and optimism more meaningful. It's easy to be a saint in paradise, DS9 showed people being pretty drat good in pretty awful situations. It showed that when push comes to shove, the federation still manages to stick to its guns of "doing the right thing", even if some cracks are exposed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

man I'm so pumped to not bother to subscribe to CBS online or whatever and watch STD and for it to get cancelled

I'm pumped for them to get a season out, have it be well-received, and then just cancel the series despite half a dozen companies begging to shove more than enough cash in exchange for international streaming rights because apparently making a real TV series is too hard for CBS to do any more.

Like seriously I can't help but wonder if at least one CBS exec is actually angry about not being able to just cancel STD at this point because it's literally bought and paid for in advance.

naem
May 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

It's super fun we got to see two different sides of the trek universe, the best most elite utopian side in tng and the gritty edge of conflict in ds9

Also 7of9 and Jolene blalock are super hot and I want to touch they are bewbs

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

all the dinos had to do was learn how to split the atom and they could have orion-driven themselves offworld

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Scudworth posted:

I appreciate this angle but this is Voyager so it's never mentioned at all. No throwaway lines in that direction, nothing. They're leaving him in his new lovely life.

I compare this to the 4th season TNG episode that's kinda similar and ends with the warp scientist/science minister of a similar overly bureaucratic society asking Picard to take her off this backwards hellhole of a planet and he agrees.

Remember in First Contact where they let the woman come back to their time because she deserves it

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I saw the Voyager episode with Sarah Silverman and Ed Begley Jr.

At one point they say that the entire microcomputer revolution in the 60s came about because EBjr found the time ship from the 29th century. "It shouldn't have happened" is even mentioned.

Does that mean that The Federation is part of a false reality?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brylcreem posted:

So I saw the Voyager episode with Sarah Silverman and Ed Begley Jr.

At one point they say that the entire microcomputer revolution in the 60s came about because EBjr found the time ship from the 29th century. "It shouldn't have happened" is even mentioned.

Does that mean that The Federation is part of a false reality?

The episode's premise fails just for being in LA in the present-day 1990's. Earth canonically nuked the poo poo out of itself by then, along with the Eugenics Wars.

No mention of the lack of such things is ever brought up during the two-parter.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The episode's premise fails just for being in LA in the present-day 1990's. Earth canonically nuked the poo poo out of itself by then, along with the Eugenics Wars.

It's even worse than I thought!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear I remember them rear end-pulling some line about LA being one of the few major world cities to survive the Eugenics Wars completely unscathed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alan_Shore posted:

Also the D is the best ship and I wish we'd gotten her in First Contact instead.

It would have given the Borg plot a lot of extra punch, I think. After seven years, the Enterprise D was as familiar as our living rooms. Seeing THAT ship getting gradually assimilated, and seeing Picard screaming and smashing the ship models as he refuses to set the self-destruct, would have had so much more weight.

Don't get me wrong, I like the E just fine. But we'd known that ship for, what, an hour? We wouldn't particularly care if they blew it up and got an Enterprise F for the next movie. It's kind of a pity they wasted the D on the freaking Duras sisters.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so Odo can't mimic a human ear, but he's able to perfectly mimic the electronics of a communicator?

Source: The Muse - Lwaxana and him are playing a game in his quarters where she has to find him when he's goo. He jumps down from his trapeze or whatever and immediately gets a call on his communicator. He didn't stop and put it on first, which means he must have mimicked it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

brylcreem posted:

Okay, so Odo can't mimic a human ear, but he's able to perfectly mimic the electronics of a communicator?

Source: The Muse - Lwaxana and him are playing a game in his quarters where she has to find him when he's goo. He jumps down from his trapeze or whatever and immediately gets a call on his communicator. He didn't stop and put it on first, which means he must have mimicked it.

Maybe he just kind of... enveloped his combadge, and carried it around amoeba-style? I bet they're waterproof.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's disgusting. Imagine carrying a cell phone up your rear end.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
sheesh he should stick to enveloping a packet of blood from a hobo to fool the dominion infiltrator test

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

corn in the bible posted:

Remember in First Contact where they let the woman come back to their time because she deserves it

Did that in Star Trek 4, the whale lady.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Powered Descent posted:

It would have given the Borg plot a lot of extra punch, I think. After seven years, the Enterprise D was as familiar as our living rooms. Seeing THAT ship getting gradually assimilated, and seeing Picard screaming and smashing the ship models as he refuses to set the self-destruct, would have had so much more weight.

Don't get me wrong, I like the E just fine. But we'd known that ship for, what, an hour? We wouldn't particularly care if they blew it up and got an Enterprise F for the next movie. It's kind of a pity they wasted the D on the freaking Duras sisters.

I imagine the D has been wasted on the Duras sisters many, many times over the years.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

brylcreem posted:

That's disgusting. Imagine carrying a cell phone up your rear end.

Why would I have to imagine anything?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Did that in Star Trek 4, the whale lady.

Yeah but in the case of the TNG ep it would be more like bringing someone from a fundy Christian homeschool in Kansas into New York City.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I am pretty much an expert on the 18th century, you guys. I know the names of all the sea captains offhand I dress up in their clothes and pretend to be in amalgamations of their popular operas, and I spend my free time reconstructing vintage carriages in my back yard. I also like calling my girlfriend "yon wench" and we do it in the back of one of the carriages while a castrati I paid sings operettas in period dress.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

I am pretty much an expert on the 18th century, you guys. I know the names of all the sea captains offhand I dress up in their clothes and pretend to be in amalgamations of their popular operas, and I spend my free time reconstructing vintage carriages in my back yard. I also like calling my girlfriend "yon wench" and we do it in the back of one of the carriages while a castrati I paid sings operettas in period dress.

https://jimsredpants.bandcamp.com/track/a-country-dance

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Keep going, I'm almost there.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
All I'm saying is Neelix did nothing wrong

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

He tried to be an earnest and warm person and do the best he could in a bad situation like a real individual might do

Which really is the wrongest thing you can do when you're on Voyager

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Holy poo poo, this episode where chakotay has flashbacks about his adventures with estaban is terrible.

Rubber people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Holy poo poo this is a bad episode.