Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

BexGu posted:

To be fair soldier is pretty much the default for all turians. Would be cool if Vera was more of a scientist type.

Vetra from what I can make out of her profile on the Andromeda site seems less like a solider and more like a sketchy underworld type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Caidin posted:

Vetra from what I can make out of her profile on the Andromeda site seems less like a solider and more like a sketchy underworld type.

So like Aria's ex girlfriend from the Omega dlc?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Drifter posted:

I guess? I never played that one, or 3 in general.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Drifter posted:

I hope not, she was really boring

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Caidin posted:

I guess? I never played that one, or 3 in general.

DId you play the others? Man, Mass Effect 3 is totally worth playing if you liked ME2.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Drifter posted:

DId you play the others? Man, Mass Effect 3 is totally worth playing if you liked ME2.

I played 1 and 2 yeah, but I dunno... I liked the quality of Sovereign's trash talk but the reapers never really interested me as antagonists and 3 seemed to be moving to this big total war vibe as opposed to the exploring mystery solving thing the first two did, if that makes sense.

Mind you, anyone I know who played it were as bitchy about that ending as most of the internet was so I was also passing on the game so they'd stop trying to engage me about it.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 12, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Caidin posted:

I played 1 and 2 yeah, but I dunno... I liked the quality of Sovereign's trash talk but the reapers never really interested me as antagonists and 3 seemed to be moving to this big total war vibe as opposed to the exploring mystery solving thing the first two did, if that makes sense.

Mind you, anyone I know who played it were as bitchy about that ending as most of the internet was so I was also passing on the game so they'd stop trying to engage me about it.

Dang, the gameplay's significantly better in ME3.The story is basically the same quality as the others, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

chiasaur11 posted:

Most people want Wrex specifically again.

People don't tend to like Store Brand Wrex, if the past is any indication. Look at Fire Emblem Fates. They brought back six characters from Awakening. The three characters who were direct carryovers, like Garrus in Mass Effect 2, did good-to-okay in the polling, even though they weren't as well written for the most part, since the writing in Fates was outsourced and mostly bad.

Meanwhile, the three characters that got I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter knockoffs, despite being based on really popular characters (Tharja, f'rinstance, was number four overall in a recent series-wide popularity poll.) flopped. Hard. (The most popular of them came in at ninety-one)

Well, there's always something to be said for getting there first. The other thing is that the alien cast in ME1 are all really distinctive, both visually and aurally, and they also had specific things that made them stand out: Wrex had his distinctive scars, Garrus had his facepaint and eyepiece, Tali had her hood and visor. Liara was, uh, blue and nerdy? Personally, I think the Asari are generally the weakest characters in Mass Effect and always seem to fail at getting beyond their blue babe outline.

It's a bit strange that across the first three ME games, the alien cast has been so limited. It seems unfortunate that ME:A happens to be leaning on familiar ME alien archetypes as opposed to carving out new ones. I'm willing to bet that anyone in this thread could one-line six potential characters that'd be more immediately engaging that ME:A's cast. I think it sucks that 2/6 of the cast are humans, because they tend to be bland and uninteresting, little better than stock NPCs to keep you company until you get the other party members.

It doesn't feel like ME:A is really building a cast of people who'd volunteer to go off on a six-hundred year one way journey. The cast so far seems uninspired and boring.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Dang, the gameplay's significantly better in ME3. The story is basically the same quality as the others, too.
Is it opposite day already?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

orcane posted:

Nope. It's not like it hugely dips in storytelling capacity. The dumb starkid is what it is, but the rest is as decent as the others. You get some quality team member character time.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

It doesn't feel like ME:A is really building a cast of people who'd volunteer to go off on a six-hundred year one way journey. The cast so far seems uninspired and boring.

I guess? Like Garrius and Wrex became breakout characters and they weren't really much more then a cowboy cop and a grumpy old merc, it all depends on how well they sell it.

Like so far the only party member who really seems at all laid out is Peebee, a rogue archaeologist and likely a bit of a prick. I like the sound of that, and I'm looking forward to see how they manage it.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

orcane posted:

pay off on mordin's story arc in 3 is the strongest bit of story telling in the entire series. three has a dumpster fire ending, but it has tons of good character moments on the way there. and honestly leviathan is cool and good if you ignore that it was largely created because of fan backlash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also Citadel is incredibly fun in a way that contrasts amazingly with the oppressive tone of the main game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Caidin posted:

I guess? Like Garrius and Wrex became breakout characters and they weren't really much more then a cowboy cop and a grumpy old merc, it all depends on how well they sell it.

Cowboy Cop and Grumpy Old Merc fit into the ME1 idea of helping out a Super Space Cop.

Maybe Andromeda's characters will end up being surprising, but when they're an Asari archaeologist, an edgy Turian in a visor and a tough Krogan what likes to fight... :shrug:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Maybe they'll throw us all for a loop and not give any characters daddy issues.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Most people want Wrex specifically again.

People don't tend to like Store Brand Wrex, if the past is any indication. Look at Fire Emblem Fates. They brought back six characters from Awakening. The three characters who were direct carryovers, like Garrus in Mass Effect 2, did good-to-okay in the polling, even though they weren't as well written for the most part, since the writing in Fates was outsourced and mostly bad.

Meanwhile, the three characters that got I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter knockoffs, despite being based on really popular characters (Tharja, f'rinstance, was number four overall in a recent series-wide popularity poll.) flopped. Hard. (The most popular of them came in at ninety-one)

While I didn't play 3DS anime game I know what you mean.

If you work hard to establish a narrative character/brand then reinvent the wheel you don't inherit the fan enthusiasm for Knockoff Characters 1-10.

I personally don't really give a poo poo about any of the characters of ME:A outside of intending to laugh at bad attempts at fanservice (oh god this character is just like X only darker and edgier PLEASE LIKE IT).

I'm expecting entertainment regardless, even if I end up hating the tag alongs. The fact I can probably take an all human racist supremacist party is enough for me.
(unless both humans shown are a bait & switch who die in your first away mission that is, but I'm not going to credit their marketing team with that level of subtlety)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Maybe they'll throw us all for a loop and not give any characters daddy issues.

Don't count on it. Daddy Ryder dies or disappears leaving the weight and responsibility of the Pathfinder role on the inexperienced twins, and Cora's dad is probably the Illusive Man. Just watch Peebee's "dad" be Aria, and Vetra be from some high up military family with tons of expectation resting on her, and Catflaps not have flaps as big as his father or something

I wouldn't have it any other way

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Don't count on it. Daddy Ryder dies or disappears leaving the weight and responsibility of the Pathfinder role on the inexperienced twins, and Cora's dad is probably the Illusive Man. Just watch Peebee's "dad" be Aria, and Vetra be from some high up military family with tons of expectation resting on her, and Catflaps not have flaps as big as his father or something

I wouldn't have it any other way

Nah, Vetra is probably the secret result of the reach and flexibility story

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
xbox magazine info

quote:

There are 'several highly advanced alien races' we'll meet in Andromeda

* Barrier can now deflect projectiles at foes

* Powers have individual cooldowns

* Blades confirmed as a craftable melee weapon (we already knew hammers)

* After a couple of encounters with the Kett, you'll be able to craft some of their technology (they use plasma guns)

* Crafting is entirely optional, not important to the story

* Based upon your dialogue choices, there can be tensions in the team

* You see planets and stars fly by from the Tempest's bridge, all windows on the ship give a view of your current location on the galaxy map

* 'Interrupts' are not paragon/renegade, but 'disarm' for example (it's a strategic choice, not a moral)

* You'll be able to understand the Kett motivations, they're more nuanced as an enemy

* There's a whole separate storyline besides the Kett

* The Kett were originally designed to be completely nude, but it was awkward in cutscenes

* All squad members have a loyalty mission (they seem to be 'a string of objectives' rather than one single mission)

* The loyalty missions will explain the squad members' motivation for leaving the Milky Way

* Michael Gamble: 'I definitely wouldn't call Andromeda an open-world game.We like to use the term exploration-based game. Sometimes that happens in open spaces, but not always. You can cruise around some of these planets in the Nomad, but it's not the traditional sandbox-type game.'

* You don't have to fuel the Tempest

* Side quests will be 'more varied and interesting than ever', says BioWare

* Active abilities/powers (like Overload, etc.) have an alternate fire mode

* There is no level cap, you can keep leveling until you run out of skills to put points into

* 5 difficulty levels, including narrative (very easy, just the story)

* Nomad's top speed is 130+ km/h

* Tempest top speed is 13 light years per day

* You can upgrade the omnitool (the blade)

quote:

The Kett were originally designed to be completely nude, but it was awkward in cutscenes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bioware denies us alien nudes. Game confirmed to suck.

Edit:
All will be forgiven if they allow me to play a claymore-wielding jetpacked berserker vanguard. Gonna bring the gospel of the Imperium of Man on these xenos.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 12, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Bioware denies us alien nudes. Game confirmed to suck.

Don't worry. The first mod to come out will fix this.

The second mod will include dicks with tits and tits with dicks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Cowboy Cop and Grumpy Old Merc fit into the ME1 idea of helping out a Super Space Cop.

Maybe Andromeda's characters will end up being surprising, but when they're an Asari archaeologist, an edgy Turian in a visor and a tough Krogan what likes to fight... :shrug:

Garrus also works because turians are established as really not having time for Cowboy Cop types, so even if Garrus isn't as fleshed out in ME1, you get the conflict. Guy has a system he was brought up in his whole life, that he doesn't want to disappoint, but it keeps ramming into what he knows is right. So you get both "I am trying to be a good cop" and "I need to SHOOT DUDES IN THE SKULL so they cannot crime more. I do not like CRIME."

And Wrex is, in a society of guys who fight to the death for money, the guy who realized dying ain't much of a living. He's the one looking for a better way, even if he hasn't found it yet. And that's also conflict. Conflict is good. Conflict makes characters move. Their positions make sense in joining up with the party. Meanwhile, Vetra explicitly doesn't like exploring. On an exploratory ship.

I'm not saying the game's definitely going to suck, but the party definitely doesn't sing for me yet.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is there an old Mass Effect 1 thread in the archives someone can link me? I like reading threads for games I play through. I have search, but it seems worthless.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Garrus also works because turians are established as really not having time for Cowboy Cop types, so even if Garrus isn't as fleshed out in ME1, you get the conflict. Guy has a system he was brought up in his whole life, that he doesn't want to disappoint, but it keeps ramming into what he knows is right. So you get both "I am trying to be a good cop" and "I need to SHOOT DUDES IN THE SKULL so they cannot crime more. I do not like CRIME."

And Wrex is, in a society of guys who fight to the death for money, the guy who realized dying ain't much of a living. He's the one looking for a better way, even if he hasn't found it yet. And that's also conflict. Conflict is good. Conflict makes characters move. Their positions make sense in joining up with the party. Meanwhile, Vetra explicitly doesn't like exploring. On an exploratory ship.

I'm not saying the game's definitely going to suck, but the party definitely doesn't sing for me yet.

Yeah, those are some good points but hard to compare given we don't know much about ME:A's cast. Garrus also works really well because he's a walking showcase for the Paragon/Renegade divide as he straddles the line. And Wrex is all tied up with the Genophage given that he's a Krogan and it comes to a head on Virmire.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, Vetra explicitly doesn't like exploring. On an exploratory ship.

chiasaur11 posted:

that's also conflict. Conflict is good.

chiasaur11 posted:

the party definitely doesn't sing for me yet.

Color me just a bit confused.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Lack of desire is generally not a compelling motivation for a character.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

Human supremacist party best party.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jeza posted:

It feels like it could also be kind of boring or one-note. Is she going to be like the exploring version of Morrigan, always complaining that you're heading to new frontiers? "Doesn't want to do thing" on a story that's entirely about "doing thing" is odd.

It's like Motivation 101 when designing a character, for roleplaying or writing or whatever. If there's a hook - exploring Andromeda - and your character isn't keen on doing that, well, it's going to be a problem.

Like, was Vetra not vetted during the sign-up process? Did they not do one of those job interview things where they give you a survey and if you answer the obvious questions wrong they kick you to the curb? Maybe Vetra was assigned to the mission by the Turian hierarchy and is doing it out of obedience, but I don't think that's what they're going for with her character, given that she's a smuggler sort. Maybe she's there to outrun some bad stuff in her past? Who knows.

When I think people going on a six hundred year journey, I think people with nothing to lose. I think an old Krogan who wants to put everything behind him/her, I think a Quarian who thinks it'd be smarter to go to Andromeda than risk war with the Geth, a Salarian who hates travelling but loves mysteries... Explorers, wanderers, dreamers and idealists.

Not what we've apparently got.

EDIT: Like, it says Vetra considers "family" important on the wiki... What's she doing a whole galaxy away from her family?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 12, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Maybe her gimmick is she's a big klutz and she accidentally tripped and fell into the ship before it jetted off to another galaxy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milky Moor posted:

EDIT: Like, it says Vetra considers "family" important on the wiki... What's she doing a whole galaxy away from her family?

I'm guessing something on the order of "her family is dead and she's trying to get away from the bad memories." Space version of taking the last train going nowhere.

On a related note, a Western vibe could have been a great direction for Andromeda. A wagon train to the stars.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Can I just point out pre-release bios are always hilariously bad and misleading for Bioware games? Like half the poo poo in the ME2 ones was blatantly false/changed by release.

Remember Legion stalking Shepard and being obsessed with them?
Or Grunt being 30+ years old and a veteran.
Or Subject Zero the experiment without a name.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Or how your choices will matter. :haw:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zore posted:

Can I just point out pre-release bios are always hilariously bad and misleading for Bioware games? Like half the poo poo in the ME2 ones was blatantly false/changed by release.

They always get written based on earlier drafts of the script, IIRC. The Shepard stalking thing was something that management insisted on his writer intentionally minimized, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

The Shepard stalking thing was something that management insisted on his writer intentionally minimized, though.

Also it was a holdover from when you could recruit the companions in any order. You were supposed to run into Legion very early on but you'd do a series of side missions to figure out who or what is hunting Shepard and find Legion.

The Inquisition character previews were pretty accurate as I recall, save that a few were hiding twists about the character like Blackwall's identity.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 12, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zore posted:

All of those things were intentional.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I mean Legion was cool, but he would be a lot cooler if the obsession/stalking aspect was toned up. But then it kind of weirdly clashes with Harbinger's obsession with Shepard, so I can understand why they minimised it. Although in the end, you don't hear 90% of Harbinger's dialogue unless you play on Insanity and let his directly controlled goons live on purpose instead of exploding them as soon as they arrive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kavak posted:

Cut for time in a game that's been delayed for over a year?

Officially, they came to a point where they had enough resources to do loyalty missions for everyone, or add an eighth companion. That eighth guy got cut.

And we supposedly haven't seen every companion, but the ones we haven't may be spoilers.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

marshmallow creep posted:

Officially, they came to a point where they had enough resources to do loyalty missions for everyone, or add an eighth companion. That eighth guy got cut.

And we supposedly haven't seen every companion, but the ones we haven't may be spoilers.

If there's 7, we've seen all but one.
Catflaps, PB, Cora, Liam, Vetra, Drack.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It'll probably be a Kett defector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

We're probably getting a Kett if I had to guess.