Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Moto Z has January's patch at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nova is great but I use the swipe right to see Google Now quite heavily and Nova doesn't do that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I could use the exact same layout and icon size and whatever of the pixel launcher and just turn on the options like disabling the motion effect or whatever that nova has I would jump for it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If I could use the exact same layout and icon size and whatever of the pixel launcher and just turn on the options like disabling the motion effect or whatever that nova has I would jump for it

You can probably do that. Nova has lots of options.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova is great but I use the swipe right to see Google Now quite heavily and Nova doesn't do that

I had the same problem with Nova but I set it to go to Google Now if I pressed the home button when I was on the leftmost screen already and it's basically the same functionality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Humerus posted:

I had the same problem with Nova but I set it to go to Google Now if I pressed the home button when I was on the leftmost screen already and it's basically the same functionality.

I tried that and it was awkward, unintuitive, and annoying. Personal choice though, that's why I use the stock Pixel launcher.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'll plug SwipePad here. I've been using it for years to have easy access to my regularly-used apps and shortcuts. You can put a Google App icon in one of the pads and get to Google Now from anywhere. Not quite as good as the old swipe-up functionality, but close.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Evie Launcher is neat and fast and I like it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I used to be like all you people with your customizations and rootin' tootin' and fancy launchers but it's so much easier to just leave things the way they are and have them work.

I feel like maybe I'm just old and lazy or actually an iPhone user in denial sometimes. Has anyone else given up on screwing with their phone. (Although mobile ads are obnoxious as poo poo lately I'd love to have AdBlock)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Smeed posted:

I used to be like all you people with your customizations and rootin' tootin' and fancy launchers but it's so much easier to just leave things the way they are and have them work.

I feel like maybe I'm just old and lazy or actually an iPhone user in denial sometimes. Has anyone else given up on screwing with their phone. (Although mobile ads are obnoxious as poo poo lately I'd love to have AdBlock)

This is me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The last time I installed some custom ROM I had an HTC M7 and the phone felt immediately shittier afterwards then the camera went purple and I threw it in a drawer.

It's probably been sitting in there since mid-2014.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Modding was cool when I had a ton of free time but now that shits gotta work. It probably didn't help that half of everything on XDA at the time was labeled as a "daily driver" even when almost completely broken.

Is there any reason to use Nova launcher other than modding your home screen? I'd assume custom launchers would have died with 3rd party ROMs but they seems to persist so they've gotta offer something.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Smeed posted:

I stopped doing it after I realized I preferred convenience over style and that no one wants to look at your sick cool phone layout.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Smeed posted:

The problem I had with the standard Google launcher was how giant it made all the icons but since Android 7 you can change the scaling down a notch in display settings which fixes everything.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Smeed posted:

I stopped because I realized I wanted a phone that Just Works™ without any fuckery by me, and surprise! Buying phones that aren't intentionally tampered with by carriers and provided directly by Google gets you exactly that!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

This is me.

I use nova launcher prime because touchwiz sucks but this is basically me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

I use nova launcher prime because touchwiz sucks but this is basically me

I use Nova on my work phone not just because Samsung's launcher just plain bad, but Google Now/Pixel launchers are actually incompatible with Samsung Knox :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Smeed posted:

Is there any reason to use Nova launcher other than modding your home screen? I'd assume custom launchers would have died with 3rd party ROMs but they seems to persist so they've gotta offer something.

In addition to the aforementioned icon sizes on the homescreen, I prefer having swipe gestures on the homescreen and on the dock, and being able to customize whether the app drawer slides vertically or horizontally, and changing the grid size in the app drawer. I haven't used the stock launcher in a while, but it shows, what, 16 apps on the screen at a time in the drawer? Screens and DPI are large now, so lets use the space.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I like and used Nova on every device from the Galaxy Nexus through my Nexus 5 but with my Pixel I've stuck with the Pixel Launcher because I like the Google Now on the left. The Pixel is also the first one I haven't rooted because this phone works so well there's no reason to gently caress with it. I will admit that web ads are getting to me and I've been thinking about trying out that Adguard but I don't know about VPNing all of my traffic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Smeed posted:

I stopped doing the customization thing a long time ago, but I still backup/import my Nova config each time I swap phones.

Also, swapped from T-Mo to VZW today. So nice to have a phone where the requirements for doing that is just "insert new SIM; end"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use Nova on my work phone not just because Samsung's launcher just plain bad, but Google Now/Pixel launchers are actually incompatible with Samsung Knox :(

What? I'm using the Google Now launcher on an S7 for my work phone without any problems.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

What? I'm using the Google Now launcher on an S7 for my work phone without any problems.

It's been a known problem for quite some time:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/663226-google-now-launcher-no-apps.html
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-fix-google-now-launcher-issues-galaxy-note-7
https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote7/comments/4ylf2u/secure_folder_feature_and_google_now_launcher/
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/websearch/hzWLtsueYCQ/dfKO5SGw3i8J

There's an official KB article for it on samsungknox.com but I think it might require a login and my credentials are at work. I've confirmed this issue with Samsung too. It's possible it was fixed but I haven't seen any news about this.

e: https://www.samsungknox.com/en/faq/why-my-knox-not-compatible-google-now-launcher seems to be broken now? I had this bookmarked at least.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm, maybe this Secure Folder thing isn't activated? We use Citrix's Secure suite, and I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing trying to fix an issue with an app, and I had to agree to the Knox stuff when I reinstalled Secure Hub, so maybe my workplace is using Knox differently than yours.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I've stopped rooting and loving around with my phone generally. I like the Google Now launcher and am sad it's seemingly being discontinued, but at least it should work since it's already installed. And maybe Nova or whatever will include the Now panel since they seem to be opening that up. Though it does seem like the Pixel Launcher is being opened up to other phones anyways, which is fine if that makes it out of alpha.

For ads I just ended up switching to Firefox for my phone and using uBlock. I can load up Chrome if I want a tab from home, or send via Join to open a mobile one at home. Not ideal, but really isn't too much of a difference on mobile between the two in my experience. And seems (shockingly) like we're never gonna get Chrome extensions on mobile, so it's the best option for me right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pixel Launcher is dope and customizing phones or whatever is stupid I didn't miss it when I had an iPhone for four years and I don't really want to do it now

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I used to heavily customize my phone, specific ringtones for every contact, sms, and app. Custom launcher full of hidden gestures almost to the point that someone else could barely access essential phone functions without my assistance.

With the Note 4, I went with the stock approach and it's worked fantastic. Stock launcher with the location aware Places widget, one page with my most common apps, and one page with the calendar widget. Honestly, Android has reached the point where unless the OEM has completely hosed the launcher, you're better off with the stock one.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 12, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Hmm, maybe this Secure Folder thing isn't activated? We use Citrix's Secure suite, and I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing trying to fix an issue with an app, and I had to agree to the Knox stuff when I reinstalled Secure Hub, so maybe my workplace is using Knox differently than yours.

Possibly. I've seen this issue on both BES and AirWatch activated KNOX devices but again it's possible it was fixed, I'll have to test when I get back to my work cell.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there an easy way I can use my Nexus 10 as a nanny cam type thing and access it via my Nexus 5X while I'm out?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I wonder when the Pixel XL 128 GB will ever come back in stock. At this point I'm leaning towards getting the normal Pixel since it's been 3 months without stock coming back in.

Is there a functional difference between the two aside from size?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

XL has a 1440p screen vs 1080p, and a bigger battery. RAM and CPU are the same.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
No functional difference other than the XL being better for daydream because of the larger screen and pixel density. I bought a pixel (nonxl) after my 6P and actually prefer the smaller size.

Efb yeah the battery is generally regarded as 10% better according to a lot of the reviews I've read

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

AlexDeGruven posted:

XL has a 1440p screen vs 1080p, and a bigger battery. RAM and CPU are the same.

Thank you. I have a follow-up question that is perhaps a bit subjective. How much of a difference will/does the extra resolution make? Does anyone have any experience comparing 1080p to 1440p at that size?

The larger battery is certainly attractive but man I have no idea when these things will be back in stock.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vasler posted:

Thank you. I have a follow-up question that is perhaps a bit subjective. How much of a difference will/does the extra resolution make? Does anyone have any experience comparing 1080p to 1440p at that size?

The larger battery is certainly attractive but man I have no idea when these things will be back in stock.

I got spoiled on the higher resolution screen with my s6 so I don't want to go back. I can also imagine that daydream would be a lot less impressive at 1080.

The battery is a huge thing for me. I don't even look at the battery meter anymore during the day. I find that I can usually end the day at 25% or more with 5+ hours of SoT.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't notice a difference going from 1440p with my 6p to 1080p on my pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a 5" Pixel and I also have a Moto Z which is 5.5" 1440.

Aside from using daydream, I notice zero difference between them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Vasler posted:

I would think the extra battery is eaten by the larger pixel density, so use wise they would be the same.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mega Comrade posted:

I would think the extra battery is eaten by the larger pixel density, so use wise they would be the same.

Doesn't sound like it, since I definitely don't get a full day's use out of my regular Pixel, but I believe most XL users say they do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Doesn't sound like it, since I definitely don't get a full day's use out of my regular Pixel, but I believe most XL users say they do.

I do, and then some. Typically, at least.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I like and used Nova on every device from the Galaxy Nexus through my Nexus 5 but with my Pixel I've stuck with the Pixel Launcher because I like the Google Now on the left. The Pixel is also the first one I haven't rooted because this phone works so well there's no reason to gently caress with it. I will admit that web ads are getting to me and I've been thinking about trying out that Adguard but I don't know about VPNing all of my traffic.

I use NetGuard for the same purpose. FWIW, it's only a fake VPN...it doesn't actually send your traffic anywhere. I mean, you've got to trust that the app developer isn't loving with you of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most test have shown about a 20% run-time advantage to the Pixel XL over the Pixel. So, a difference exists, but it isn't huge.