Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

KJV (We all know that the KJV is the ONLY valid one, right) Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

But those laws about homosexuality are still valid, of course.

So sucking cock is OK, as long as you never take it out? Sounds all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Lol wow are you wrong

The post doesn't say that it's RIGHT, just that that's the point the cartoon is arguing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Flowers For Algeria posted:

So sucking cock is OK, as long as you never take it out? Sounds all right.

Also you can't spit

we have too many loving emotes and I can't find the one I want here :mad:

e: Ehhhh it's not the one I wanted but let's go with :cumpolice:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

KJV (We all know that the KJV is the ONLY valid one, right) Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

so the official stance is to swallow instead of spit

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
As they say in the Army, it's not gay if you don't cum

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sandpuppy posted:

I'm morbidly enjoying Trump's insanity emboldening guys like Lester into flatly calling for the US to become a dictatorship.

Yeah, like it wasn't one already during 0bama

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Abyssal Squid posted:

Considering that rhetoric, there's no way that wasn't supposed to be the Rock of Gibraltar, especially since insisting that it's an iceberg results in a nonsensical cartoon.

Dude it is blue and surrounded by comic short hand sea symbols like little wavy line waves and wavy line seagulls. There is absolutely no way Lester meant it as the Rock of Gibraltar unless he thinks the Rock of Gibraltar is an iceberg (which is totally within the realm of possibilities for this wife beating hack).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jurgan posted:

On the other hand, it's nice to see Lester is opposed to violence against women.

If he considered her a woman he probably wouldn't draw her with stubble.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Shugojin posted:

Also you can't spit

we have too many loving emotes and I can't find the one I want here :mad:

e: Ehhhh it's not the one I wanted but let's go with :cumpolice:

Onan is one of the most hilariously misinterpreted stories. Onan's sister-in-law was a widow with no sons, so he was supposed to get her pregnant so she'd have someone to take care of her. But he didn't want to pay child support, so he pulled out early. So God killed him. The message is "live up to your familial responsibilities and don't take advantage of poor people," not "don't masturbate."

Alhazred posted:

If he considered her a woman he probably wouldn't draw her with stubble.

Yeah, I know. I was just making a joke about Lester's criminal history.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Dude it is blue and surrounded by comic short hand sea symbols like little wavy line waves and wavy line seagulls. There is absolutely no way Lester meant it as the Rock of Gibraltar unless he thinks the Rock of Gibraltar is an iceberg (which is totally within the realm of possibilities for this wife beating hack).

I've shown the cartoon to several people without context, one said "Is that supposed to be the Rock of Gibraltar or an iceberg?" Another said "Conservatives think the Constitution is carved in stone" and when I asked him what the specific object in the thought bubble was he said "Rock of Gibraltar, if the Rock of Gibraltar was blue and in the ocean."

It's a poo poo illustration for a poo poo cartoon, but it doesn't help anybody to insist that the opposition is mush for brains and are completely unintelligible. Lester isn't terribly bright in justifying his villainy, but his motivation and reasoning are usually pretty clear.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Sunday Telegraph:

Baftas 2017: Stars descend on London for ceremony; Jeremy Corbyn kept away from voters ahead of crucial Stoke by-election amid claims he is 'not a plus on the doorstep'

Sunday Times:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Abyssal Squid posted:

I've shown the cartoon to several people without context, one said "Is that supposed to be the Rock of Gibraltar or an iceberg?" Another said "Conservatives think the Constitution is carved in stone" and when I asked him what the specific object in the thought bubble was he said "Rock of Gibraltar, if the Rock of Gibraltar was blue and in the ocean."

It's a poo poo illustration for a poo poo cartoon, but it doesn't help anybody to insist that the opposition is mush for brains and are completely unintelligible. Lester isn't terribly bright in justifying his villainy, but his motivation and reasoning are usually pretty clear.

So your friend basically just said "The Rock of Gibraltar if the Rock of Gibraltar was an iceberg". I'm not sure how that helps your case.

Edit: looking at the cartoon again it doesn't even look like the Rock of Gibraltar

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 12, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Blowjobs don't count tho

E: Beaten like a masochist

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2017

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

so the official stance is to swallow instead of spit

(opens mouth for camera) Deus Vult! (swallows)

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 12, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

SwitchbladeKult posted:

So your friend basically just said "The Rock of Gibraltar if the Rock of Gibraltar was an iceberg". I'm not sure how that helps your case.

Okay I'm going to back up, I'm not 100% sure where we're disagreeing. Is your point that the illustration looks more like an iceberg than the Rock of Gibraltar? Because I agree with that.

I'm saying that Lester's intention was so clearly the Rock of Gibraltar that multiple people have specifically said that, in spite of the fact that the drawing looks more like an iceberg.

It's like Ramirez's "let's raise this" cartoon. The metaphor fails on half a dozen levels, but we say it's a failure precisely because we can tell what Ramirez intended. Otherwise we wouldn't still be talking about it.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I had no idea what the rock of Gibraltar was so I had no where else to go except to iceberg. I think people that have never learned about it or heard the phrase will go the same route. If it was drawn better we'd have just thought it would be a big rock and it would make immediate sense. Without knowing what Gibraltar is (and I even play Overwatch) you really have no clue what he's saying because it's clearly an iceberg.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

For donkey aficionados, this is a Finnish ad taken by the peat energy production lobby:

Peat energy, in case you are mercifully unaware, means literally digging up chunks of swamp and burning them to produce electricity. According to the peat energy lobby, Finland is the stupidest nation on Earth for not doing this more. Donkey represents stupidity and is wearing the clothes of Finland's national personification (and its stance refers Finland's outline on the map).

(This ad has not gone over well)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
It's like coal but even more inefficient! Brilliant!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Farecoal posted:

It's like coal but even more inefficient! Brilliant!

Actually you will find that peat is slowly renewable instead of being a fossil fuel.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Sneaky peat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Also swamps are ecologically incredibly important, especially for migratory birds, so let's drain them all for peat!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Actually you will find that peat is slowly renewable instead of being a fossil fuel.

Sounds like someone is in the pocket of Big Bog.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drain the swamp, I say

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Wheany posted:

So is coal, technically!
:goonsay:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Farecoal posted:

So is coal, technically!
:goonsay:

Apparently not so much!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Stefu posted:

For donkey aficionados, this is a Finnish ad taken by the peat energy production lobby:

Peat energy, in case you are mercifully unaware, means literally digging up chunks of swamp and burning them to produce electricity. According to the peat energy lobby, Finland is the stupidest nation on Earth for not doing this more. Donkey represents stupidity and is wearing the clothes of Finland's national personification (and its stance refers Finland's outline on the map).

(This ad has not gone over well)

It really doesn't help that the face and first word made me judge the entire thing with the same casual disdain that I usually reserve for Jar Jar Binks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
how much swamp would it take to power finland for even like, an hour, i can't imagine it's a low number

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

World Famous W posted:

"Old Testament rules were for God's chosen people, we have a new pact, only New Testament counts (except for when it doesn't) and Old Testament doesn't (except for when it does)".

EDIT: This is from someone raised in strong Southern Baptist lands.

The trick is usually "There are moral laws and ceremonial laws in the Old Testament. The ceremonial laws like banning shrimp and cheeseburgers or not cutting the sides of your beard we don't have to follow anymore, but the moral laws like homosexuality being a sin still apply." Either that, or they just cite Romans 1 as proof that being gay is still bad outside of Old Testament law, that's the "men abandoned natural relations with women and committed shameful acts with other men" verse.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Remember when Jesus healed a roman and his gay lover

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

mandatory lesbian posted:

how much swamp would it take to power finland for even like, an hour, i can't imagine it's a low number

Finland has a whole lot of marsh and a population of only about 5 million.

You don't want to get into a haircut battle with the Piss King:

Mexicans are marching against Trump today.

California has had a lot of rain lately. A lot = some.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Kind of a roundabout way to attack the GOP's stance on refugees but ok

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Cutting off refugees from any country is immoral, AGC.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Theres a limit how much immigrants a nation can tolerate until they are not made part of the nation and are segregated in ghettos. In my humble opinion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sandpuppy posted:

California has had a lot of rain lately. A lot = some.
lil' shadehopping businessman is :kimchi: as gently caress

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Tei posted:

Theres a limit how much immigrants a nation can tolerate until they are not made part of the nation and are segregated in ghettos. In my humble opinion.

Sure, but the US is nowhere near that point and Payne defending Trump's asinine Muslim ban with "BUT LIBERALS" is essentially a tacit admission that it's indefensible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Tei posted:

Not really

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Maybe if the host nation was more willing and welcoming to refugees they would have no problem integrating into society. It's almost like if you treat someone like an outsider they will end up one.

Kicking out refugees is a dumb idea no matter where they come from. Florida isn't going to become some hellhole because of Cuban refugees. If anything the Cuban parts of Florida are the only hospitable parts as a Floridian. :colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ularg posted:

If anything the Cuban parts of Florida are the only hospitable parts as a Floridian. :colbert:

Greetings, fellow curse-bearer! I grew up in Miami, and I was going to dispute this claim, but then I remembered how much worse the rest of the state is. Instead I'll say that in my experience, the Cuban exile community is (or at least was) mostly anti-refugee because any sane definition of the word includes people who are way too dark-skinned for their taste (rip Haiti).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

14h Amendment posted:

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Illegal immigrants have a right to due process

Wong Wing vs US, Supreme Court case a century old posted:

The term "person," used in the Fifth Amendment, is broad enough to include any and every human being within the jurisdiction of the republic ... This has been decided so often that the point does not require argument.

• Locked thread