Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Dexie posted:

Remember when Sawatari was shown as a competent and intelligent duelist? One that could actually go toe-to-toe with Yuya?

I miss those days.

I wish he kept the Yosenju archetype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Same, though part of me wishes he had kept changing decks with each duel, too. That was a fun gimmick.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Arc V sucked

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
This four way duel feels kinda hollow, I only hope Yuya wigs out and somehow manages to resummon Zarc Supreme dragon and end it all.

"We need to make this baby smile"

"Have you tried making silly faces or shaking some keys at her?"

"No, let's go with spending a tonne of money on a four way televised tournament instead"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Testekill posted:

I wish he kept the Yosenju archetype

I don't. Abyss Actors are p. cool. Though they would have been more interesting as a new deck for Yuya. Like he takes Jack's lessons to heart and ditches his dad's archetype or something. The GX manga did something similar.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
This episode was so lame. It's like they had no idea how they were supposed to wrap this anime up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

At least it helps us correlate with 5D's the reasons why Ono is a bad director for Yugioh. Trite "the hero is the baddie (but not really)" ideas, major setting shake-ups way too often, and other stuff.

Odds are that Kuwabara will direct YGO6. Say what you will about ZeXal but the aesthetics were neat, the story was at least a straight forward line that kept raising its stakes, the characters he pushed were at least fan favorites in the community instead of shoving Crow at us yet again and the finale was an emotional climax. Plus Kuwabara also directed DSoD which is beyond gorgeous and does a pretty good job at explaining Plana stuff visually.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But Zexal was so bad and boring for the first 100 episodes. :negative:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

But Zexal was so bad and boring for the first 100 episodes. :negative:

Nah, but hey, Arc V was so bad and boring for the last 100 episodes, so.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'll take 5D's problems over Zexal's any day. :mad:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
So after 4 series, the conclusion is that we have to settle for 50 good episodes per Yu-Gi-Oh series.
I personally prefer a strong start and my hopes slowly dying.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the next series is going to be very build-fighters (caaaaaaaalled it) so as long as good duels happen it wont matter.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I'll take 5D's problems over Zexal's any day. :mad:

How dare you talk ill of Flip Turner and Krunk... and Catty...

Zexal was a mess and just kept getting worse. I wish I had time to watch the rest of 5D's, it looked interesting.

Speaking of which, I managed to beat all the campaigns on Yu-Gi-Oh Legacy of the Duelist. There's a lot of revisions going on, but it sets up the duels well enough. Just a shame about the $80+ DLC with the rest of the content. Maybe if there was a 75% off sale someday.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The back half of 5Ds is extremely boring and didn't even result in us getting that many decent cards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I enjoyed 5d's aside of the WCG arc :shrug:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

For 5D's, the first 26 episodes are good AF. 27-64 are a slow death spiral in which characterization is murdered by episode 41 and the script is burnt in front of your eyes blatantly by episode 47. 65-154 are dull and boring, like a bad sentai with really good music but if you just love how "cool" the red ranger (Yusei) is you can probably tolerate it, otherwise there is nothing there in any level.
Jack Atlas is immune to all of this and even at his worst he is the sole light of entertainment the show can give.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I was really disappointed with ZeXal 2, as I kept reading that people liked it but when I watched it it was more of the same. None of the interesting plot points were addressed (Door of Destiny, what ZeXal is, "chaos," Kaito's "photon cancer," why the gently caress Yuma's dad was apparently a super precog???) and the Barians weren't really alluded to during ZeXal 1. Also the Dr. Faker faceturn was SO DUMB!!! There were definitely some cool moments in ZeXal 2, like the part with Rank-Down-Magic and that duel Kaito had on the moon, as well as funny ones with Vector or others, but all in all it was Bad and Disappointing. Also in the final episode it was revealed that Yuma was ~part of Astral all along~, which came out of nowhere at literally the last minute and seemed like a plot idea that was dropped but then resurrected at the very end for no reason. And then everyone, including the resurrected Barians who are apparently now middle-schoolers (EVEN VECTOR!) flew off into space to do... something. What the christ????

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

For 5D's, the first 26 episodes are good AF. 27-64 are a slow death spiral in which characterization is murdered by episode 41 and the script is burnt in front of your eyes blatantly by episode 47. 65-154 are dull and boring, like a bad sentai with really good music but if you just love how "cool" the red ranger (Yusei) is you can probably tolerate it, otherwise there is nothing there in any level.
Jack Atlas is immune to all of this and even at his worst he is the sole light of entertainment the show can give.

Even though characterization starts getting hosed up, Dark Signers is still a solid arc in its own right with problems and still a good part of the show and even Crash City has its moments. Even though a lot of the later poo poo is bad too, it has a genuinely good send off to the series and deserves more credit than just the first 26 episodes being the only ones considered unconditionally good. Zexal itself is a trash fire for almost all of it with the exception of Kite and Vector who are solid characters, but the entire show gets dragged down by concepts it refuses to twist on and explore and trades it off for very milquetoast characters and storytelling and Zexal 2 is a giant mess of fellating Shark and Yuma as the two best duelists ever and a lot of the side characters getting poo poo on in the process. Zexal does not deserve credit and while Ono's not a solid director, the dude who directed Zexal is not something to hedge your bets on producing a good show with either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I'm catching up on Arc-V now and Crow's orphans are the loving worst.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Even despite it's issues, I'd still say that Arc-V is the best of the five shows we have.

Which is kind of sad, really.

Captain Baal posted:

Zexal 2 is a giant mess of fellating Shark and Yuma as the two best duelists ever and a lot of the side characters getting poo poo on in the process.

Yeah but...every Yugioh show does this. They all push the protagonist and maybe one other character as THE BEST DUELISTS EVER and poo poo on the side cast in the process.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No they don't, 5Ds just becomes the Yusei show, GX turns into pure insanity, and Yugioh is surprisingly the most tame because the last part of the series is barely even about the dueling and few times actual dueling happens it has some gravity to it beyond Yugi just being the best.

Also Arc-V is absolutely not the best, even with 5Ds problems it is a better show and the original DM Anime and GX are honestly better too warts and all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Even though characterization starts getting hosed up, Dark Signers is still a solid arc in its own right with problems and still a good part of the show and even Crash City has its moments. Even though a lot of the later poo poo is bad too, it has a genuinely good send off to the series and deserves more credit than just the first 26 episodes being the only ones considered unconditionally good. Zexal itself is a trash fire for almost all of it with the exception of Kite and Vector who are solid characters, but the entire show gets dragged down by concepts it refuses to twist on and explore and trades it off for very milquetoast characters and storytelling and Zexal 2 is a giant mess of fellating Shark and Yuma as the two best duelists ever and a lot of the side characters getting poo poo on in the process. Zexal does not deserve credit and while Ono's not a solid director, the dude who directed Zexal is not something to hedge your bets on producing a good show with either.

It's solid, but then you get stuff like Aki losing all the semblance of character or a Dark Signer just becoming a monkey owner while wacky adventures start happening. I don't blame the show for that stuff, it's very clear that poo poo like the cult stuff in japan or Crow's cards going over were outside the control of the staff, but still, it makes for a very uneven arc which spirals further down into the backhalf of the show where maybe a dozen episodes are good.

ZeXal does suffer from concepts that basically go like "what? you don't know christianity and two or three other religions? gently caress you, i'm not explaining poo poo." but the character work is fairly solid. The Numbers Hunters are just there, but Vector's family is really interesting and they get stuff in ZXII (compared to Kiryu getting a completely unrelated arc or Carly just not being her character anymore, or the LDS trio getting entirely dropped while Kachidoki comes back for one episode to do nothing of value) the focus on Shark and Yuma at least means there's two point of views that conflict and the main character gets challenged, unlike Yusei who gets nobody to actually rival him or try to put him down a peg or Yuya who will trip upon himself nonstop while any potential rival tells him he's a good, good smile boy and that he should be proud of himself. Kite gets the short side of the stick, but at least he's the worst of the power trio so not much of value is lost and he gets a small corner of the show to himself by fighting MIzael for the Numeron Dragon, a crucial element for the story's final beats.

ZeXal is one of my favorites, but I get its bad rep (it took until Yuma vs III for me to really give it a chance, and that's way later than it should be), still, against all odds it's at least a well planned show. The cast has time to interact (silly, stupid episodes sprinkled throughout), the story escalates, the bigger bads are built up with enough heads up (Barians were name-dropped and spoken of as early as episode 50 where we are told that they are pitting Faker and Vector against each other) and when it comes to play favorites it's at least actual fan-favorites (japan sucks and loves Kotori, the Archlights were super popular so they get a big role during Yuma's emotional low point, Shark is better than Kite so his role gets expanded even more).

My main problem with ZX is the mythology stuff that's unexplained and how it treats women, but those are more Shin Yoshida stuff (Head Writer for DOMA, Gx Season 4, 5D's 27-154 and ZeXal, and now Arc V's manga) and most tragically, that it's behind Gx in the best spinoff when it comes to treating women somehow, but Kuwabara just showed us how good at directing he can be with a good script now that DSoD came out.

Both of Ono's series are the bottom of the barrel for me, and 5D's at least has the excuse of everything conspiring against them to make the show have to be different less than halfway through, Arc V has no excuses and it manages to be the worst Yugioh series so far beyond a good first year.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will not even disagree about Arc-V because I'm trying to burn through the synchro dimension stuff that originally made me stop watching and I can't believe they seriously thought dragging this poo poo on for so long was good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I will not even disagree about Arc-V because I'm trying to burn through the synchro dimension stuff that originally made me stop watching and I can't believe they seriously thought dragging this poo poo on for so long was good.

Oh, Baal, you sweet, innocent Baal. You're watching some of the best stuff. When you get to the third year you'll be yearning for Synchro Dimension.

God I am so salty about japanese anime. It's like, 5D's was Ono and Yoshida building a car and the ride was bumpy as hell with the car about to break down at so many points, but the road of Gotta Sell Blackwings and Gotta Shush About Cults was filled with holes when suddenly staff is taken over to do BBT. Arc V is Ono and Kamishiro (new to the franchise, has literally said he doesn't like having to include duels to the story) the smoothest road ever, the card game is revitalized with ZeXal's sales in Japan, the upcoming movie is drumming interest but there's no mayor staff members being pulled to do it and the fans keep talking about how great the first season is going with stuff like Yuzu getting a character arc and then it just falls apart into complete garbage despite the road to the ending being so easy compared to 5D's.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't understand why they just actively keep throwing the lancers under the bus. Even Shun who is most consistently successful one of the bunch is jobbing to Crow because of his lovely loving orphans and his dumb friend who tried to incite a riot and Yuya refuses to ever tell anyone to gently caress off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I don't understand why they just actively keep throwing the lancers under the bus. Even Shun who is most consistently successful one of the bunch is jobbing to Crow because of his lovely loving orphans and his dumb friend who tried to incite a riot and Yuya refuses to ever tell anyone to gently caress off.

Well, the team is still in dire need of uniting properly and becoming effective by covering their weaknesses and trusting each other. The harshness of a new location is something they must adapt to when they go to XYZ and then Fusion, it might all be a way of setting the Lancers to unite and get stronger.
However, seeing what comes later leaves me with a secondary theory: Ono also directed 5D's so he wants to show how good his previous work is. Kamishiro digs being subversive and depressing.

Guess which theory explains the amount of Crow you're left to see!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kill Crow

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I guess there's something we can agree on.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh, Baal, you sweet, innocent Baal. You're watching some of the best stuff. When you get to the third year you'll be yearning for Synchro Dimension.
I'm a couple eps behind but the XYZ and Fusion arcs were tons better than the Synchro stuff, even if their characters weren't great.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm at 136, and yeah the character development stuff has been kinda muddled, but the spectacle of everything has been way more fun to watch. I'd say Yuri is my favorite villain in the franchise.

I also feel like binge watching is the way to watch these shows, because I can't imagine the pacing working too well for people watching it week to week.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Doma Arc is still my favorite just because of how randomly off-the-wall it was with the Maimi Championship Arc close behind. (Note: I never watched the second half of GX, passed ep 50 of 5Ds and none of Zexal.)

There wasn't enough Pegasus in Duel Monsters. :colbert:

And Bakura is more interesting than Yuri just because he jobbed a lot and was actively fighting against stronger opponents. I have a soft spot for the underdog antagonists.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 9, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/yonhi_lee/status/820558744702447616

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So for those of us who need subs please elaborate

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So for those of us who need subs please elaborate

A handy chart presenting how the reception on Nico Nico of the show fluctuated through its broadcasting.

I don't remember the middle points but Blue equals to "Very Good" and Red to "Very Bad"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dang, was just about to post that. Basically, it's user ratings for the show.

On NicoNico you can rate episodes 1 (blue) which is best to 5 (red) which is worst. As you can see from the start of that graph, the Quiz duel was rated very, very poorly since it was such a bad duel when the show was getting very good things going.

This chart compiles all the ratings (people usually wait a week after release to point that out so there's enough time for a lot of people to stream and rate the episode) and yeah, you can see the show was mostly received well during the first two years, then episode 92 (in which all the Yubois are in one room about to reveal what their connection is as a huge hole in the sky rips reality apart... and then they just leave with nothing of note happening) was received very poorly and the japanese fandom began losing patience with the show, dunking its popularity further and further until the last half of the final year is mostly in red ratings.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I love how reviled quiz duel is.
Though the ones with the least bad ratings are the ones with real good duels in.
Yugo vs sawatari has next to nothing in the orange and red.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, good episodes get really good ratings.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That episode was bad though

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

episode 92 (in which all the Yubois are in one room about to reveal what their connection is as a huge hole in the sky rips reality apart... and then they just leave with nothing of note happening)

I think that's called foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
When you're almost a hundred episodes in it's no longer foreshadowing, it's just called stalling for time.