Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I like it when bercow has to call order on something Labour are doing and then spends most of the time telling junior tories to shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If the Tories thought this through properly, they wouldn't really want to get rid of Bercow, as the frontrunner to succeed him is almost certainly the no-nonsense Labour Deputy Speaker Lindsay Hoyle.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

If the Tories thought this through properly, they wouldn't really want to get rid of Bercow, as the frontrunner to succeed him is almost certainly the no-nonsense Labour Deputy Speaker Lindsay Hoyle.

whereupon they can promptly claim forever that it's labour bias whenever they do anything awful

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fangz posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/830701303026167808

Interesting to see how this works out for them.

labour are opposing brexit probably shouldn't be in large letters

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think I've ever heard of a speaker being criticised for partisan bias before - is that a thing or are we using our imaginations?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's depressing as hell seeing a labour candidate boasting of their party's pro Brexit credentials but I guess that's the word from the top.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a speaker being criticised for partisan bias before - is that a thing or are we using our imaginations?

we're not in the 1990s anymore dorothy, lying and screaming about partisanship is the new hip thing. I fully expect it from the tories and papers as soon as they have a chance.

Pissflaps posted:

It's depressing as hell seeing a labour candidate boasting of their party's pro Brexit credentials but I guess that's the word from the top.

I can't wait to hear you've voted lib dem

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stoke voted to leave the EU by 69.4% to 30.6% remain.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Surely Nuttall should be utterly destroyed by his own lies regarding Hillsborough but unfortunately if this last 12 months has shown anything, it's that life isn't a Scooby Doo cartoon and just because a villain is unmasked it doesn't mean it's the end of the matter :smith:

Anyone catch Jack Buckby on Channel 4 debate the other night? What a detestable little shite he is.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

labour are opposing brexit probably shouldn't be in large letters

the word FIB is in even larger letters just before it, and that's a small word that small children can read and understand.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

the word FIB is in even larger letters just before it, and that's a small word that small children can read and understand.

this is stoke we're talking about

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

The Tories have been doing it for ages, especially during the plot to oust him in 2015.

E.g.

quote:

Mr Duncan told the BBC’s Daily Politics Show yesterday: ‘The top rule for any Speaker is that they are politically impartial and they stand back from expressing party political opinions of any sort.

‘[His comments] seem seriously to conflict with the essential rule of the Speaker’s life [which] is that he should be above party politics and I think that’s very worrying.’

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TheRat posted:

I dont really get it. Everyone knew Trump was going to be batshit insane. How does Trump turning out to be, surprise surprise, batshit insane change anything? Are we supposed to think that Clinton is a saint now?

A hell of a lot of people seem to have voted for Trump thinking he was not going to be. And a lot of people stayed home because well they're both terrible or some middle-of-the-road bollocks.

e; and yeah with the world the way it is, 'ordinarily flawed US president' is loving saintly, are you kidding me?

Dange
Sep 11, 2003
I AM A LIAR

Prince John posted:

The Tories have been doing it for ages, especially during the plot to oust him in 2015.

E.g.

It seems particularly odd coming from the Tories though, as Brexit has been sold as something which is "bigger" than party politics. Bercow didn't make any party political statement; he explained how he voted in a referendum.

Is something only politically neutral where no party has an opinion on it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dange posted:

It seems particularly odd coming from the Tories though, as Brexit has been sold as something which is "bigger" than party politics. Bercow didn't make any party political statement; he explained how he voted in a referendum.

Is something only politically neutral where no party has an opinion on it?

It's politically neutral when you think it is objectively correct and if you think it's wrong it's political bias.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JFairfax posted:

Stoke voted to leave the EU by 69.4% to 30.6% remain.

That's why I'm not actually asking a rhetorical question here. Stoke might be an interesting test for whether going full in on pro-Brexit delivers results, or, I suspect, fucks over Labour because they need the vote of that 30.6. If Brexit Labour can't even win in a hard-leave constituency like that, then lol.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 12, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

we're not in the 1990s anymore dorothy, lying and screaming about partisanship is the new hip thing. I fully expect it from the tories and papers as soon as they have a chance.

So that's a 'no', then.

quote:

I can't wait to hear you've voted lib dem

You probably already did.

Prince John posted:

E.g.

Yeah but that's not them saying 'he/she cant be trusted because he/she comes from the tories/labour'.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 12, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
remember the tory ads saying corbyn was a threat to national security? lol thats nothing

https://twitter.com/Scott_Gilmore/status/830803255479242752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Every speaker is accused of it, to a greater or lesser extent, and it's mostly ignored because every politician passionately believes that everyone else is biased against them.

I'm not aware of a speaker so willing to use his position to further their own opinions though, that's a bit of a major faux pas for someone who officially doesn't have any opinion whatsoever and is just an avatar for the rules of the House.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The reason the Tories hate Bercow (and Hoyle) is because he lets the Opposition speak without the braying from the Tory benches.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

TinTower posted:

The reason the Tories hate Bercow (and Hoyle) is because he lets the Opposition speak without the braying from the Tory benches.

He also eats a Tory seat

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if you bray in parliament you should be put down like a rabid dog tbh

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Malcolm XML posted:

He also eats a Tory seat

let's not bring his personal life into this

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I liked this article in the Times about Remainers:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...434860af1714bb0

But mostly because of the massive unironic Godwin.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I vaguely remember Michael Martin getting it fairly frequently, but he was just poo poo so it kind of got added to the laundry list of complaints.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

I liked this article in the Times about Remainers:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...434860af1714bb0

But mostly because of the massive unironic Godwin.

I like the confusion between intellectuals and the evidence they produce, it's a great attack against something nobody worth listening to has ever claimed.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

One_Wing posted:

I mean to be fair she's literally using it today to rip into David Davis for his appalling behaviour towards Diane Abbot, and this isn't the only time I've seen her launch a broadside at the actual baddies. I also do find her relatively direct style of writing and willingness to call bullshit on things quite endearing and effective.

I'm not disagreeing that she puts way too much of her effort into slagging off the labour leadership, just recognising that she clearly can use her talents effectively for good and it's kind of a shame that she mostly doesn't.

Ultimately the problem is that if she didn't spend so much time slagging off the party and it's leadership, the media would ignore her and her tweets about sexism would go totally unreported. She only has a profile and a platform because she's a complete sell-out who does a better job of damaging Labour than most Tory MPs.

If she had stuck behind her convictions and quit when she said she was going to, after Corbyn was re-elected, I might have a bit of respect for her. Instead she's happy to be an anchor dragging the party down provided she gets to keep her high paying job.

LemonDrizzle posted:

If you're the person conducting the focus group, no such point exists - the exercise will be completely useless if you start booting people out when they say things you would rather not hear.

You might not kick them out of the focus group, but there should be some sort of filter preventing stuff like pure appearance-based criticism from making it to the party higher-ups and eventually the newspapers. Why even write down things like 'charity-shop looking'? I mean if the person in question called her a fat bitch instead would we see that printed in the Times as an official focus group opinion? At a certain point the opinion expressed reflects badly on the person holding it and has nothing to do with the MP in question.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 12, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/12/frank-walter-steinmeier-elected-germany-president-donald-trump-critic-

New centre-left president for Germany? How is this not all over the news by the way? I imagine this is slightly a good thing? Or, again, did he vote to institute mandatory baby-eating at some point?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

You might not kick them out of the focus group, but there should be some sort of filter preventing stuff like pure appearance-based criticism from making it to the party higher-ups and eventually the newspapers. Why even write down things like 'charity-shop looking'? I mean if the person in question called her a fat bitch instead would we see that printed in the Times as an official focus group opinion? At a certain point the opinion expressed reflects badly on the person holding it and has nothing to do with the MP in question.

I think it would be a mistake to ignore what people say just because we don't like the exact way they say it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jabby posted:

Focus grouping is all about finding the lowest common denominator to appeal to. People are often fundamentally poo poo and advertising and PR is all about exploiting that to best effect. If you got rid of every arsehole in the room the exercise itself would be pointless.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pochoclo posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/12/frank-walter-steinmeier-elected-germany-president-donald-trump-critic-

New centre-left president for Germany? How is this not all over the news by the way? I imagine this is slightly a good thing? Or, again, did he vote to institute mandatory baby-eating at some point?

Everyone is busy looking at a massive tire and trash fire across the western horizon.

(And a smaller one thats closer)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

When Schroeder caused the european debt crisis with Agenda 2010 he was an advisor and whip who brought together the green/socdem support while Schroeder had a loving tantrum about it. His foreign policy has been even handed and he was an ally of france in their attempts to forge an anti US iraq coalition.

e; I confused two key players so rewrite was needed before more people quoted me

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 12, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think it would be a mistake to ignore what people say just because we don't like the exact way they say it.

What's the more acceptable way to say you don't like a female politician's appearance?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

Well your memory of the New Labour years is selective.

quote:

On 1 November 2006, during Prime Minister's Questions, Martin caused uproar in the House of Commons by ruling out of order a question from Leader of the Opposition David Cameron in which he challenged Tony Blair over the future leadership of the Labour Party. Martin stated that the purpose of Prime Minister's Questions was for the House to question the Prime Minister on the actions of the government. This caused such dissent amongst MPs that Martin threatened to suspend the session. Cameron then re-worded the question so he asked about Tony Blair's future as Prime Minister rather than leader of the Labour Party, which Martin accepted. Conservative MPs threatened to walk out if a similar event occurred in the future.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Still mourning the happier times back then.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

Still mourning the happier times back then.

Lots of things were better. But let's face it they failed to reform economic policy away from neoliberalism (so has wasted massive sums on PFI and meant that our response to the financial crash was the damp squib of bankers QE which has inflated asset prices for the over 50s and screwed over everyone else, lost Ed M the 2015 GE and meant the coalition implemented austerity) and engaged in an unjustified war which has massively contributed towards the continued instability of the middle east and the refugee crisis. Yeah. But apart from that stuff.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

People do judge each other on appearance, though - one of Ed Miliband's big problems was that people saw him as a goofy-looking nerd who wouldn't be a credible prime minister. If you're scoping people out for a political leadership position and for whatever reason, everyone you ask says that there's something about one person's appearance or self-presentation that makes it hard to take them seriously, that's important and useful information even if it's unfair and unreasonable that the person in question is being judged in that way.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

LemonDrizzle posted:

People do judge each other on appearance, though - one of Ed Miliband's big problems was that people saw him as a goofy-looking nerd who wouldn't be a credible prime minister. If you're scoping people out for a political leadership position and for whatever reason, everyone you ask says that there's something about one person's appearance or self-presentation that makes it hard to take them seriously, that's important and useful information even if it's unfair and unreasonable that the person in question is being judged in that way.

Agree with this 100%. It sucks, but better to find out in a focus group than on the campaign trail before a general election. You've got to work with the public you've got.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

yeah it's definitely a legitimate political system that cares this much about appearance and not a sham that needs so, so much fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Ok well that's definitely an example of something - though I think if you were to be honest you'd admit you used google rather than your own memory to retrieve it.

However I was specifically interested in examples of behaviour such as Spangly A described: criticism of a speaker based on their party political background. I don't think yours counts.

• Locked thread