Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I know where I'd be without the Star Wars reviews: in Hell. Because I'd be dead. Because RLM is the only thing keeping me alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Josh would start up his own podcast called Nerd Crew and sell Geek crate merchandise.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I'm just waiting for some new Mike F. Stoklasa content.............................

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Without RLM and with Roger Ebert dead all film criticism would be Chris Stuckmann levels of worshipping the dick of every movie that sent him a swag bag of cum and geek crate garbage.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Without RLM and with Roger Ebert dead all film criticism would be Chris Stuckmann levels of worshipping the dick of every movie that sent him a swag bag of cum and geek crate garbage.

I don't know who any of those people are, and I don't care.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You've never heard of those chaps over at Red Letter Medium?

Well, let me explain.

First, there's this Archie Bunker / Eric Cartman character called Rich Evans. He's fat, dumb, and racist, but he's the emotional center of the story.

Next there's Mike who is a feeble, dying alcoholic with a quick wit. He's a big, lumbering, slow drunk with purple flesh. Basically if Dudley Moore's Arthur character was wearing a costume of The Grimace.

Next is Jack who has a huge dick.

Then there's Jay. He's the heartthrob who isn't just pretty, he's also the brains and is never wrong about films. He's the only actual critic on this film criticism web series.

Then you have Josh. Josh is I guess a Make-a-wish foundation kid that wanted to be on the show? No one really knows because they haven't revealed yet why they'd have him on. My guess is he has progeria.

Then

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's a bad assessment of Josh.

Josh is clearly the town creeper, and is called "Wizard" because he is always trying to cast "spells" on the local kids.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Josh is the rich Barons sisters kid from the 1400's that the baron now has to care for because his sister died in childbirth. Meanwhile, outside his gates the peasants are getting unruly and plans have been set in motion to redirect their frustrations elsewhere, furthermore

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/jjg6v9O-TbM

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Josh is clearly the town creeper, and is called "Wizard" because he is always trying to cast "spells" on the local kids.

He's trying to grow out his beard to dodge the flyers his neighbors have up with his picture on it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Me and my pals watched Star War number Five last night and we came to the conclusion that the prequels could not exist in the same continuity as the first Star War movies due to the fact that many characters' actions make no goddamn sense. Like Obi Wan already knew Chewie, Yoda already knew R2 and yet they act like they've never met before.

Something I sort of thought about in regards of the OT and the PT: Vader's devotion to the Force.

In the OT, he's a guy who seems like he is reverent of it, willing to kill people just for mocking his religious belief (and this is at a point in his life where he's literally being kept alive by machines and his connection to the Force is seemingly less than the one he had in his youth?)
In the PT, the force feels like it's just a tool to him and when it seems poised to be something greater he hits the 'whammy' and loses everything and doesn't even get to experience that greatness of the Force that he has been promised. At no point does he really feel like the 'force' comes across as this deep, spiritual thing for him.

I guess you could argue that after Padme he's throwing himself into the things he has left, which is the Dark Side and the Force and and Empire and is becoming sort of a zealot as he grows up, but there just doesn't seem to be any hints in him in the PT that he's a guy that actually feels a respect for the force in the same way Vader seems to.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
he killed that guy because hes a whiny dick whos been trapped in a low budget torture suit for 15 years and he pissed him off

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Where would Josh be without RLM?

Manning the counter at the local Magic card shop.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
he didn't even kill the "sad devotion to that ancient religion" guy, tarkin made him stop. also the way of the force is an ancient religion in that it died out a whopping 20 years ago.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched that Dan Brown/Ron Howard movie "Infernal" and holy poo poo I sort of get the hate on Felicity Jones if this was your introduction to her. She literally has only one expression, I am not who is at fault here but it is definitely shared on some level between her and Ron. The movie itself is really going off a cliff trying to shoe horn in Tom Hanks again so he can chase a modern mcguffin with ancient bullshit clues while multiple agencies to after him with one that wouldn't be out of place from Asscreed.

Go watch Operation Chronmite for random Liam Nesson and for the over the top action.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Something I sort of thought about in regards of the OT and the PT: Vader's devotion to the Force.

In the OT, he's a guy who seems like he is reverent of it, willing to kill people just for mocking his religious belief (and this is at a point in his life where he's literally being kept alive by machines and his connection to the Force is seemingly less than the one he had in his youth?)
In the PT, the force feels like it's just a tool to him and when it seems poised to be something greater he hits the 'whammy' and loses everything and doesn't even get to experience that greatness of the Force that he has been promised. At no point does he really feel like the 'force' comes across as this deep, spiritual thing for him.

I guess you could argue that after Padme he's throwing himself into the things he has left, which is the Dark Side and the Force and and Empire and is becoming sort of a zealot as he grows up, but there just doesn't seem to be any hints in him in the PT that he's a guy that actually feels a respect for the force in the same way Vader seems to.

PT is garbage, don't try to explain or reconcile it. Just forget about it like you got neurotralized and be happy. Same with TFA because that is garbage too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you forget Tfa then how are you going to watch and endlessly talk about the Star Wars movies that are going to be coming out once a year, do you expect people not to watch Star Wars

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

dreezy posted:

he didn't even kill the "sad devotion to that ancient religion" guy, tarkin made him stop. also the way of the force is an ancient religion in that it died out a whopping 20 years ago.

It's an ancient religion in that it was probably established by alien sheep herders thousands of years ago.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If everyone's forgetting about The Force and Jedis even Vader who used to be a cynic can appear to be a fanatic by comparison.

Really though, Lucas is just lazy.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The time scale is incredible.

Yo TOY STORY was 20 years ago, does anyone call it an ancient movie? Do most species in star wars live like 5 years, and humans are elves or some poo poo?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The fact that Vader still cares about the Force foreshadows his ultimate redemption.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

There are about two million zoroastrians alive today somehow and yet if someone pointed out an eight foot tall halloween dildo in a cape and said he is a zoroastrian I'd probably laugh in his face. And then when I'm getting choked out by the wrath of ahura mazda my last strangled words would be "this is just like star wars"

Basically I just always assumed the force was thousands of years out of style with a few disorganized adherents so I mostly ignore the prequels' implication on canon. 20 years is just nonsense. Whoever said the ancient legend of oj simpson's ride made me laugh very hard, five or eight pages ago.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Empire went turbo-atheist, sheesh. In the thirties, any Soviet citizen would be similarly mocked for adhering to such ancient nonsense religions as Orthodox Christianity or Islam, despite the fact that mere twenty years ago almost 100% of people in Russian Empire were religious.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's an ancient religion in that it's very old.

Just like Hinduism is currently practiced by 1 out of every 8 people but it's an ancient religion.

Furthermore,

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why didn't they clone Vader?

Big loving clone facilities, guy who can touch weiners without his hands, its a no brainer.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Big loving clone facilities, guy who can touch weiners without his hands, its a no brainer.

Probably budget limiations. They overspent on superfluous buttons and wudu hide.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

happyhippy posted:

In EU they've probably cloned him like 50 times. I know there's been at least a dozen of the Emperor's clones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New ep of review 👀

Mike and Jay 😍

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/OkEdyq3UE5M

Starship Troopers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

YES

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Would you like to know more?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

God I loving love this movie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Starship Troopers came out at a time when I was both still pretty squeamish about film violence and learning that you can dismiss films for whatever flaws you conjur. I hated it, and despite the love building for it, I never gave it another chance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The same thing with Mike would actually be more depressing. And I mean with his photo from 2012 instead of high school.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Starship Troopers came out at a time when I was both still pretty squeamish about film violence and learning that you can dismiss films for whatever flaws you conjur. I hated it, and despite the love building for it, I never gave it another chance.

Oof, did you not watch Robocop for the same reason?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Oof, did you not watch Robocop for the same reason?

Naw, I saw Robocop much later.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What the gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well watch it now, because it's great. And then watch Roughnecks, because it is also good, and pretty ballsy to let a kids show get away with presenting the good guys as part of a fascist institution.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Was nobody else here really stupid as a teenager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Starship Troopers owns. And it works both as a movie you can enjoy as a dumb teenager who likes gore and space marines killing bugs with nukes and machine guns, and as a somewhat older dude who likes those things but really loves the satire elements of the movie that kind of escaped stupid teenage self.

It's not just the political satire that's great. I absolutely love that much of the movie is is structured like some kind of high school drama with two concurrent love triangles going on, a football/basketball game, prom and both love triangles being solved by having the third person killed by bug monsters.

• Locked thread