Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

The Gneisenau feels like it could be such a nice ship if I could only HIT A GODDAMNED THING with these loving primaries. Even with the accuracy upgrade, having only six gun barrels is so goddamn prone to not landing a single hit due to RNG. With the New Mex, which I'm at in the US tree, the volume of fire is enough that at least a few shells usually connect.

Which is exactly why flamu didn't make it a top pick for ranked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't give a poo poo about ranked or what flamu thinks of anything, I just want my shells to loving hit things.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

First ranked match: We get an AFK Nagato and all our Cruisers rushed in at full speed and died within 4 minutes.

Next two went better, at least. The "Berserker" Scharnhorst performs very well in Ranked.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I want the game to not run like complete rear end, 0.6.1 is now worse than ever with fps drops, audio glitches, and being kicked to login screen

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nordick posted:

I don't give a poo poo about ranked or what flamu thinks of anything, I just want my shells to loving hit things.

The trick is to get closer. The Gneis is basically a babby bismarck, so act like it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cippalippus posted:

I'm current struggling to find a ship I'd use instead of the Belfast in ranked.

Kiev, because it doesn't have citadels.

Braindead fucks on your team driving premium Myokos will find a way to make you end up broadside to a battleship in a Belfast. 7 battles in and I'm on less stars than I started with, and would be even further down if rank 19 wasn't irrevocable

e: 4 losses in a row

1. Rammed into a broadside by a Myoko, then friendly torps from the same Myoko forced me into another broadside
2. Sniper Scharnhorst
3. Rammed out of my own smoke by a Colorado and we both died to the hail of fire from the 5 ships ready and waiting
4. Schors and Belfast more or less one shotted by cits, and a Nagato that tried to outbrawl a Gneisenau, 80k damage not enough

That makes a 20% win rate from ranked so far. There's so few ships using radar or hydro that it doesn't make sense to bring any kind of cruiser over a Kiev on NA right now.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 12, 2017

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I had 3 losses in a row, many confeds and high calibers so didn't lose a star in any of them fortunately, but this is horrific. I stopped for today. :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

12 ranked battles and I am exactly where I started, 1 star into rank 19

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That feeling when you're sailing your New Mexico, and a DD jumps you from behind an island just 2km away, and has you completely dead to rights because your guns are pointing the wrong way and you're reloading anyway.... And then your secondaries immediately nuke his magazine from like 9k hitpoints.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Nordick posted:

The Gneisenau feels like it could be such a nice ship if I could only HIT A GODDAMNED THING with these loving primaries. Even with the accuracy upgrade, having only six gun barrels is so goddamn prone to not landing a single hit due to RNG. With the New Mex, which I'm at in the US tree, the volume of fire is enough that at least a few shells usually connect.

Get closer

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been trying. Problem is finding an opportunity to do so without getting melted on the way and/or focused to poo poo when I get there.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I remember once my mom said, "You play Gneisenau!"

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Get out!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shiratsuyu is as good as advertised at clearing out smoke clouds. The enemy tends to get a lot more wary after the first wall of skill, almost to the point of not using smoke at all unless I'm dead or confirmed elsewhere. It's been very nice countering the light cruiser smoke meta.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
So many fair weather Belfasts

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

Kiev, because it doesn't have citadels.
No.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Complications posted:

Shiratsuyu is as good as advertised at clearing out smoke clouds. The enemy tends to get a lot more wary after the first wall of skill, almost to the point of not using smoke at all unless I'm dead or confirmed elsewhere. It's been very nice countering the light cruiser smoke meta.

You only get the shitlers, however. A smart smoking cruiser drops smoke where he can just accelerate/reverse and be in hard cover within seconds, to avoid walls of skills or radars.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aside from the :staredog: of getting Dreadnought in a Graf Spee, there was a Konigsberg in this game that got super mad when I citted and killed him with an island grazer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Why no? Kiev is a murder machine of a destroyer

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Detection range compared to other destroyers. It is the same reason why Tashkent and Ognevoi were not favoured last season.

I suppose you could make it work in some games, but you'll still be at a disadvantage due to hard stats and how focus fire works in the ranked meta.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Playing a Russian DD in Ranked battles effectively gimps your team down one destroyer

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

Why no? Kiev is a murder machine of a destroyer

Russian DDs are worst at doing "destroyer" stuff. Things like scouting and torping. It sort of hard to contest caps when opposing DD has like couple of kilometers spotting advantage on you and in practice you cannot torp anyone. Your detection range is almost 8km ffs. Yeah I guess you can harass things in it, maybe set some fires. Couple of torpedo hits from IJN DD will do much more good then that. And I love Russian DDs. They a lot of fun to play and can do a lot if things go your way. In random battle. Where is much more targets to shoot at and other DDs on your team can do "destroyer" stuff. In ranked where its a very good chance youre only destroyer on your team its way too dangerous for you to play aggressively and what you going to do then? Go cap the other point while IJN DD on other team torps your team with impunity? Help to mop up enemy team when your team won the game for you? You dont have a role to play in ranked in Kiev.

EDIT: Oh and comparatively Kiev is the flimsiest Russian DD. Another thing it got going against it.

NTRabbit posted:

The last ranked battle I played in my Kiev I stomped both Akatsukis on my own quite early on, so it's definitely not the worst DD to bring
Its sounds more like testament on how bad enemy team was, not endorsement for Kiev.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 13, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pacra posted:

Playing a Russian DD in Ranked battles effectively gimps your team down one destroyer

The last ranked battle I played in my Kiev I stomped both Akatsukis on my own quite early on, so it's definitely not the worst DD to bring.

Haven't seen a Shiratsuyu yet, but Akatsuki remains trash tier. Sims might be a better choice, but Kiev works fine.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Aside from the :staredog: of getting Dreadnought in a Graf Spee, there was a Konigsberg in this game that got super mad when I citted and killed him with an island grazer.

Dreadnought in cruisers isn't that supprising TBH, my Takao and Atago combined probably have more dreadnought medals than any of my battleships, and I've already gotten several in the British cruisers.

NTRabbit posted:

The last ranked battle I played in my Kiev I stomped both Akatsukis on my own quite early on, so it's definitely not the worst DD to bring

NTRabbit posted:

12 ranked battles and I am exactly where I started, 1 star into rank 19

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Oops.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lady Morgaga posted:

Its sounds more like testament on how bad enemy team was and not endorsement for Kiev.

Akatsuki is a garbage tier destroyer, bad guns, mediocre torps, and detection the same as US DDs. I'm pretty sure only the Ranger is a worse anchor around a ranked team's neck, don't drive an Akatsuki.

Actually, most of those battles were in the Belfast, which I have a 0% ranked win rate in. My best ranked win rate is now on the Myoko (ARP Nachi), which I wheeled out because Belfast wasn't working, and Kiev was mostly getting me top player in losses, ie saving stars but not gaining them.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
To get 0% win in Belfast you either unluckiest person on Earth or you really need to change some things you doing in Belfast.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lady Morgaga posted:

To get 0% win in Belfast you either unluckiest person on Earth or you really need to change some things you doing in Belfast.

NTRabbit posted:

1. Rammed into a broadside by a Myoko, then friendly torps from the same Myoko forced me into another broadside
2. Sniper Scharnhorst
3. Rammed out of my own smoke by a Colorado and we both died to the hail of fire from the 5 ships ready and waiting
4. Schors and Belfast more or less one shotted by cits, and a Nagato that tried to outbrawl a Gneisenau, 80k damage not enough

Welcome to ranked.

Myoko seems to be the top tier choice for ranked anyway, which isn't all that surprising given that it's a really strong ship, and its biggest weakness is planes, which aren't in ranked very often.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 13, 2017

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
Even if your team loses you should be doing #1 almost every game in the belfast.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Flagellum posted:

Even if your team loses you should be doing #1 almost every game in the belfast.

Not with cap xp still at 1k; #1 ship in a loss seems to almost invariably be the sniper Scharnhorst who lived longest, or the DD who got a couple caps in before the end.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 13, 2017

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
Best ship for the gently caress you I got mine playstyle is Sims with it's awesome built in XP multiplier. I think I got like 3-9 wins vs losses over the weekend, but I did get top loser every time :confuoot:

Belfast has been great the couple games I tried it, but capping points, radaring and pounding the enemy dds, smoking our fleet and setting tons of fires just isn't enough to kill the enemy battleships as my own teams bbs invariably hid behind islands achieving absolutely nothing. So I'm going back to the Nagato which was my main workhorse in the last T7 season.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Some ships work well in random but are terrible in ranked. My akatsuki is over 80% win rate but I'd never bring it in ranked. Same with the Kiev which is a lot of fun but a terrible choice for ranked.

On a similar note, don't use:
Pensacola
Yorck
Schorhs
Colorado

Limited value, use them if you're really good at them:
Indianapolis (has radar)
Maass
Myoko

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I honestly don't see how a belfast loses out to a scharnhorst in base xp earned. Go into caps, murder DDs (xp for damage is scaled, way more efficient to get damage on DDs), get defense ribbons, spot for people (visual or radar, etc). A sniper scharnhorst is going to end up near the bottom next to the akatsuki that detonated. I pretty much always end up first on a loss in my belfast.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Had a 20% win rate last night, never finished below 2nd. Next season they need to extend that keep a star to the second place exp, because the people getting it are doing actions that in no way helped their team win the game.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm 5-11 in my Belfast this ranked season but 6 of those losses (and 3 of the wins) I was top XP so I'm still managing to slowly move up in ranks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Iceshade posted:

I honestly don't see how a belfast loses out to a scharnhorst in base xp earned. Go into caps, murder DDs (xp for damage is scaled, way more efficient to get damage on DDs), get defense ribbons, spot for people (visual or radar, etc). A sniper scharnhorst is going to end up near the bottom next to the akatsuki that detonated. I pretty much always end up first on a loss in my belfast.

Not so easy to farm DD damage when there's only one per side, and once the DD is down most ships won't push the caps, so you don't get defense ribbons either. Because of no armour and focus fire, you have to smoke and burn, but you can't spot from inside your own smoke, and you have to work way too hard to beat a battleship in accrued damage when shooting at other battleships - top of the team then goes to either your DD, for getting the caps, or to the battleship that sat back and lived the longest to do the most damage, and I've seen more Scharnhorsts than any other kind of battleship thus far.

Belfast seems to be a good on paper, not so good in practise ship - lack of effective torpedoes seems to be a crippling trait for ranked cruisers this season.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 13, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Good news for anyone trying to get the V-Day flag: if you create a division and nobody likes you joins it, it still counts.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cippalippus posted:

Limited value, use them if you're really good at them:
Indianapolis (has radar)
Maass
Myoko

Myoko feels like a floating citadel to me though

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

Good news for anyone trying to get the V-Day flag: if you create a division and nobody likes you joins it, it still counts.

:smithicide:
Just join discord, don't do something this sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

MikeC posted:

Myoko feels like a floating citadel to me though

Well, it's much, much sturdier than a Belfast. You need to use others' smoke though or you're toast.