Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

THE TIME HAS COME: 09/16/2030, 06:00

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

The kids climbed over the fence and infiltrated the premises.

Before their eyes was a gigantic building. LABO-- the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization. The place where Natsuhiko and Yuuri had suffered their permanent emotional scars.

...It sure is quiet.
It seems like the terrorist attack hasn't started yet.
Yeah...!

Natsuhiko answered in a stiff voice.

(Dammit, I knew it would happen, but...!)

Just looking at the building made him break out in goosebumps and a cold sweat. His fear from 9 years ago was alive and well.

(... Put up with it. You can overcome this.)

--The moment he thought that, a sharp voice rang out from a short distance away.

Security Guard 1: What are you kids doing here!? This is a restricted area!

They saw two men who seemed to be security guards rushing up to them from LABO. They were slinging what appeared to be machine guns off their shoulders.

Ah, uh-- um...!

Mashiro stepped back in fear to see them. But Natsuhiko stepped up as if to cover for Mashiro and Salyu as he answered the security guards.

Please, wait. I'm Natsuhiko Tenkawa, the son of senior researcher Miyoko Tenkawa.
Security Guard 2: ...What?

The younger security guard looked dubious as Natsuhiko showed them his student ID and continued.

I came here to see my mother on urgent business. Can you call her for me?
Security Guard 1: What kind of business?
...A life—or-death family crisis. I haven't been able to contact my mother since yesterday... so I had no choice but to come here directly.

Natsuhiko came up with a lie. And as he did so, he desperately tried to use empathy. But just then-- telepathy from Mashiro came soaring into his head.

{Natsuhiko, I can't read their minds...! They aren't opening up their hearts to us.}
(Yeah, I can understand why...)

Regardless if the security guards were sleeper agents or not, it was only expected that they wouldn't open their hearts to some high school kids who suddenly appeared in a restricted area. They stared at the kids. Eventually the younger security guard whispered to the older one.

Security Guard 2: ...Should I call Dr. Tenkawa?
Security Guard 1: ...Mmm... hmm...

Suddenly, raindrops started falling from the sky.

Before they knew it, the sky became covered in clouds and it started to rain. The security guards looked up at the sky in frustration.

Security Guard 1: Rain, huh... well, fine. We'll bring you to the entrance. Wait for Dr. Tenkawa there.
O... okay!

The kids secretly clenched their fists in glee at those words.

The older security guard spoke up.

Security Guard 1: I'll call the professor. Wait here for a little bit.

He disappeared behind an iron door further down the entrance. The younger security guard stayed behind with the kids.

...You can't take us to her?
Security Guard 2: People from the outside can only come in to this entrance area. There are 'security gates' set up around the facility that prevent you from entering unless you have a corresponding card.

The man glanced at the iron door. Beside the door was what appeared to be a card swiping slot.

Where is Dr. Tenkawa?
Security Guard 2: Somewhere in the basement floors, I suppose. But security is even tougher on the bottom floors than the ground floors, so it's strictly off-limits to ordinary people. Depending on the situation, you could even be shot and apprehended without warning. So if you understand what's best for you, you'd wait here.

If security was that severe, then terrorists probably wouldn't be able to get in.

(But we can't let our guards down. We don't know how the enemy plans to invade, after all...!)

As Natsuhiko considered that possibility, he received telepathy from Mashiro.

{We can't afford to waste time, right...? Should we take this opportunity to send telepathy to the professor?}

Natsuhiko was taken aback, but he nodded at Mashiro.

(Roger... in that case, I'll try sending it.}
(Yeah, I'll try too.)

Natsuhiko concentrated his mind.

She had told him herself once before. She was a Type 4, just like Salyu.

(There's something I need to tell Mom... I've never needed this ability any more than I do now. So of course I'll be able to use telepathy!)

The moment he made that conviction, Natsuhiko's five senses suddenly faded. He could feel his message leave his head as it emitted from his brain.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

{We're in LABO's ground floor entrance. We came here for reasons related to what we told you about yesterday. That is, terrorism-- There's a possibility that Q is targeting this facility. Q's objective is to destroy this town. That's why they're targeting this facility's nuclear reactor. To make matters worse, there's possibly a sleeper agent in this facility. It could be Mr. Ukita or someone else... No matter how strictly precautions are taken, no matter how high security is, if there is a sleeper agent present, then the terrorist plot could succeed. So please, Mom... Take all personnel outside of the facility right away and don't let anyone inside. I know I'm asking the impossible. But there's no other way!}

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

(... All right!)

Natsuhiko was confident he successfully invoked telepathy. And right after that, he received telepathy from Mashiro.

{Hey, Natsuhiko, I sent Dr. Tenkawa telepathy... But I can't sense that it got to her.}
Huh? How can you tell?

The security guard looked at Natsuhiko suspiciously after he inadvertently spoke out loud.

Security Guard 2: Hmm? Tell what?
Ah, no, it's nothing.

As Natsuhiko panicked to smooth things over, Mashiro continued with telepathy.

{Once you get used to it, you can use empathy to confirm successful transmission. But something's odd... there's no response at all.}
(What!? Did something happen to Mom!?)

Natsuhiko was hit by an unpleasant premonition as he looked towards the entrance. --And then, suddenly--

!!

Memories from nine years ago came back in his mind.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

The memory of when he and Yuuri had sneaked into this facility. At the time, security was lax. They had stowed away on a transport truck and hid behind a security guard to get into the entrance. All staff seemed to be underground as there was no human presence in the entrance.

Hmm, so this is LABO, huh.

Natsuhiko looked around and beside him, Yuuri whispered.

H-hey, Hikorin... we need to be more sneaky.
What are you talking about, Yuuri? You agreed to do this, didn't you? We said we'd save Mom since she's always being swamped with work.
Y-yeah, I know, but...

That was the reason Natsuhiko and Yuuri had sneaked into LABO. At the time, Dr. Tenkawa was already a core member of the LABO research team and would always work late into the night. In Natsuhiko's eyes, she looked like she was being forced to work.

This is a mission of justice to save Mom. So we need to carry ourselves with dignity.
But... they'll get mad at us if we get caught.
You're such a scaredy-cat. C'mon, let's go. You can hold my hand.

Natsuhiko gripped Yuuri's hand tight and walked farther inside.

Mom told me that she works in the basement in Area 5. She said it's a place only top professors can go.
So first we need to find a staircase that goes to the basement, huh.
It's gotta be behind that door. Let's go, Yuuri.

And back then, their path was blockaded by an iron door as well.

Huh... It won't open.
How do you think we open it...?

--How would they open it? Why were they able to to the basement back then? As soon as Natsuhiko pondered that detail--!

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

An intense shock suddenly ran through his head, interrupting his thoughts.

Security Guard 2: Hmm?

He heard the security guards dubious voice coming from far away. Natsuhiko leaned against a wall, unable to stand the intense pain.

--Natsuhiko!?
What's wrong!? Do you feel bad!?
M... my head...!

He felt as if something were clamping down on his head. It happened when he tried to remember what happened nine years ago.

(Why...!? Why does my head hurt so much!? ... No, I don't care! I need to remember! Something's off here, isn't it!? Even if the security system has changed from how it was in the past, the structure of the facility itself wouldn't change too, would it!? Why were we able to go to the basement!?)

Back then, neither Natsuhiko nor Yuuri had a security card. And yet when they messed around with the card slot in an attempt to open the door--

(... That's right. If I'm not mistaken, back then, there was an alarm...!)

As he tried to remember, another headache struck!

Guh, uugh, uuugghh....!

Natsuhiko staggered, unable to bear it.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TO REALITY: 09/16/2030, 06:19

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

He heard something shatter by his wrist. But the roaring sounds kept coming.

Another explosion.

Kyaah!

Mashiro screamed from beside him.

Another explosion.

Ghh...!

They could feel tremors coming through from the floor.

Another explosion.

Security Guard 2: Wh... what was that sound?

The security guard muttered in shock. The kids were well aware of what it was.

...Explosions? Several of them...!?
N-Natsuhiko, could this be...!?

Natsuhiko gritted his teeth at those words.

Yeah, it is...

He endured the pain to stand up and wring words out of his lungs.

...We didn't make it in time.

His words were drowned out by the shrill shriek of an alarm.

Automatic PA: --Intense tremors detected in B2 Area 3. --A fire has broken out in B1 Area 2. --Intense tremors detected in B2 Area 2.

The automatic disaster prevention system rang out a flurry of warning broadcasts. A mechanical, robotic voice. An unending stream of fragmentary information. But regardless, everyone could tell that an unprecedented crisis was upon this facility.

(--It's the same as nine years ago! This same alarm, these same warnings rang out back then too--!)

The moment Natsuhiko made that realization, another memory came back.

Automatic PA: --A fire has broken out in B2 Area 3. --A fire has broken out in B1 Area 5.

Natsuhiko and Yuuri heard those warnings as they stood in front of the iron door.

Wh-what!? What happened!?
A fire...! Oh no, there's a fire down below!
A fire down below!?

As Natsuhiko yelled, the automatic announcement continued.

Automatic PA: Security has shifted to 'Evacuation Mode'. All gates, barring those leading to Area N, have been opened. All personnel, please calmly evacuate to the surface levels.

Back then, it was just a fire alarm, but the situation was similar. Once Natsuhiko made the connection, he heard the same announcement as he did nine years ago.

Automatic PA: Security has shifted to 'Evacuation Mode'. All gates, barring those leading to Area N, have been opened. All personnel, please calmly evacuate to the surface levels.

And at the same time, the iron door opened up further down the entrance.

A fire down below...? But Mom's down there...!
Wh-what do we do, Hikorin...!?
I... I gotta go save her! Wait right here, Yuuri!

Natsuhiko yelled that command as he rushed through to the other side of the door.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Natsuhiko tried to run off, but the security guard grabbed his arm.

Security Guard 2: Hold on a second, kid! Whaddaya mean for the worse!?
Officer, this isn't the time for you to mind us!
Security Guard 2: What!?
This is a terrorist attack! Call the police and the fire department immediately!
Security Guard 2: T-terrorist attack!? No way--...!?

Natsuhiko shook off the confused security guards arm and dashed off.

(The terrorists had the sleeper agent cause a commotion in the facility so that the gates would open! At this rate, it's just a repeat of what happened nine years ago-- No, something far worse!)
Wait, Natsuhiko, where are you going!?
To the basement!
The basement? But the explosions--
You two stay here. No matter what happens, don't you dare move from this spot!!

Saying just that much, Natsuhiko plunged toward the iron door.

Researcher 1: W-what happened!?
Researcher 2: I don't know! Were those explosions...?
Researcher 3: Explosions!? In -this- facility!?

The basement floors were already engulfed in dreadful chaos. Nobody seemed to know what was going on.

(Where are the terrorists!? Where did they set the bombs!?)

As he looked around with that in mind,

!?

Wh... what are you doing!? Why did you come down here!?
We should ask you the same thing! Where do you think you're going all by yourself!?
It's dangerous to go alone!
I know, I know! But--

As soon as Natsuhiko began to speak, another memory of the past came to him--!

Yuuri had followed him even though he had told her to wait for him.

Yuuri, you can't come! There's a fire, you know!?
I-I want to save the professor too, okay...! I don't want to sit by and wait while you and the professor are in danger, okay!
...!

Yuuri sounded somehow different from usual. That was the first time he had heard such a powerful voice from her. So the Natsuhiko of nine years ago-—

...Okay...

--ended up answering that way.

Then let's go together! Let's both save Mom!
Yeah!

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

It didn't seem like a mere coincidence, but something tinged with fate.

(What happened after we went down nine years ago!?)

When he tried to remember, he was struck by another intense headache.

Oww!
Natsuhiko, do you have a headache again!?
Gh... guh, uuuuuuggh...!
Are you okay, Natsuhiko!? Hang in there!

The headache made him nauseous. Each time he tried to invoke his memory, he was struck by this pain.

(drat... it...! Is my desire not to remember really that bad!? It should be obvious to me what happened after that, shouldn't it!?)

He got caught in the fire with Yuuri and almost died.

(But there's no way I can yield to that fear...!)

The moment that thought crossed his mind, he heard another explosion from nearby.

Natsuhiko promptly covered Mashiro and Salyu. One second later, a blazing wind shot by,

Aghh!!

and the kids were blown away.

All personnel, including those in the Area N control room, please evacuate to the surface levels immediately!
Ghh...! A-are you two okay!?

They slowly got up after having fallen on top of each other.

...Y... yeah...
I-I'm okay...!

The two groaned, but they appeared to be uninjured.

(Thank goodness...!)

Though relieved, Natsuhiko searched for the origin of the explosion. The explosion sounded like it came from the direction of the staircase they just descended--

--No way!?

Natsuhiko gasped and dashed for the staircase. But,

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

...Dammit!

what was waiting for them was the collapsed ruins of a staircase.

They destroyed the staircase!?
But there wasn't anyone here, so how...!?
Dammit, this is all their doing!

It was the very same trick they used at the PRC. The sleeper agent carried in a time bomb and set it in the facility-- and probably not just one bomb, but several.

(They've destroyed the exit...! We're trapped in the basement!)
How could the situation have gotten this bad...?

He wanted to know how just how much time they had left--

Ah...

But his watch had broken before he realized it. Apparently it had slammed onto the floor when the first explosion knocked him over. The watch's date had stopped at 9/16. Its hands at 6:19. A time he'd likely never forget for the rest of his life.

(If only we had gotten here just a little bit sooner...!)

But even if they were late, there was still meaning in their arrival. Natsuhiko tried to walk off unsteadily, but Mashiro grabbed his hand.

Hold it, Natsuhiko! Where do you think you're going in a crisis like this!?
I'm gonna find those bastards...!
--Wait, Natsuhiko, you don't mean!?
...I'm gonna put an end to their plan. I can still do something--
No, you can't! Natsuhiko, calm down!
Why!? You agreed that we should come here, didn't you, Mashiro!?
The situation's completely changed! It's too late now!
It's never too late! I'm sure I can still make it! Besides, even if we do run, it's not gonna change anything! So in that case--

Mashiro had slapped him.

...!
Do you want to suffer another loss that badly...!?

Those words gouged out Natsuhiko's heart. --And then, another roar rang out.

!?
Another explosion... where...?
Please, Natsuhiko. Let's get out of here already!

Mashiro's pleading voice caused Natsuhiko's heart to waver. --The current situation was progressing as if it were following the incident nine years ago to a tee. Natsuhiko didn't want to repeat the same mistakes he made that time. He didn't want any of the people precious to him to suffer again-- Holding those convictions in his heart, he forced himself to speak.

...Okay. Let's look for a way out of here first...!

Mashiro and Salyu's faces relaxed in relief at those words.

I'll lead the way. Salyu, you take the rear. ...Let's work under the assumption that we will come across the terrorists.
Roger.
O-okay.

The three of them ran off with tense looks in their faces.

At the only present he ever received from his mother.

(... There's something I need to do before I escape.)

His mother was likely still inside the facility.

(We were too late to stop the terrorist attack, but at the very least, I want to ensure an escape route for Mashiro, Salyu, and...)

And his mother. That was Natsuhiko's earnest wish.

Do you know the layout of the facility!?
No, I obviously can't remember all the details--
Then we should look into it first. It's dangerous to run blindly without an escape plan.

And with that, Salyu dashed into a nearby room.

Salyu looked for a computer that was left on and connected Alice to it.

Salyu, what are you doing!?
I'm looking up a map of the facility. Though I'm not sure if there is one. Alice, start command. Search all networked files. Search with high priority on terms synonymous with 'map' and 'chart' and with lower priority on 'facility', 'LABO' and 'lab'. Check for password protected files and folders and access them. Download all relevant files. End command.
Alice: Kyuu!

Alice's back opened, exposing her screen. The screen displayed a list of all the files she had downloaded. Salyu skimmed through them with her fingertip.

Please be there...!

Right after Mashiro prayed for her to find the map, Salyu's eyes widened.

--This is it. Probably.

The kids peeked at the screen to see a hexagonal map.

Just like the ground levels, the basement floors were also hexagonal-- apparently divided into six areas.

Salyu pointed at the top of the map.

Judging by the placement of the entrance, we're currently here in Area 1's outer ring, B1. I think that last broken staircase we saw was the outer ring emergency staircase.
Looks like there's an inner ring emergency staircase nearby too, huh...

Just as Mashiro had said, each area apparently had an emergency staircase and an elevator.

Okay, so let's head there first!

The kids nodded at each other and ran out of the room.

En route to the passageway, there was what appeared to be one of those ''security gates'' that the security guard had mentioned, but it was left wide open. But once they reached the inner ring--

Fire!? How'd a fire break out here so fast!?
Was it because of the explosions...!?
No, it'd be way too fast for that to have been the cause. They might have brought incendiary bombs as well and set one here.
Don't tell me it was set here to prevent the people from escaping the facility...?
Gh... it's too dangerous here! Let's look for another path!

Natsuhiko grabbed the girls' hands and retreated to the passageway.

Mashiro! Salyu! There was an elevator on the map too! Go see if it's still usable!
What about you, Natsuhiko!?
I'll go check if the path to Area 2 is safe!
Roger. Be careful!

Natsuhiko split from the girls for the time being.

(First we need to ensure an escape route. If there's a safe emergency staircase, I can get them out through there!)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko walked into the connecting passageway to Area 2-- --but then he doubted his eyes.

Huh...!?

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

The girl who was supposed to be waiting for them at home. Yuuri.

--Yuuri!?

(I thought she wasn't able to take a single step out from the house...!?)

Natsuhiko gazed at her in shock, and--

...Hikorin... Why did you come here...!?

--she muttered sadly.

What about you, Yuuril? Why are -you- here!? You left home!?

Right after Natsuhiko asked that question, for some reason--

--his memories of the last few days came rushing back into his mind.

!?

Visions of the events of September 10th up until today spun rapidly through his mind like the illustrations on a revolving lantern--

--and then disappeared.

Natsuhiko had no idea what happened. Yuuri gazed at him in his confusion.

...So that's what happened...

Her expression was somehow sad, yet she smiled as if a weight had been taken off her shoulders.

(What does that even mean...!?)

There was something clearly strange about that exchange. It was almost as if Yuuri had read Natsuhiko's mind. The same sort of thing happened a few days before, too.

(Don't tell me Yuuri's actually--)

!! Yuuri!

Natsuhiko swiftly lunged at Yuuri. And not a second later, a shockwave struck them.

Ah!!

Natsuhiko and Yuuri were blown away. In the split second before they hit the ground, a vision of that fateful morning rose up from the back of his mind.

--Those memories led to the end of September 10. Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko and spoke.

Fun things, painful things... and things you cannot overcome without courage. But they're all things you surely mustn't avoid...

--As he recalled those memories-- Natsuhiko passed out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PAST: 09/16/2030, 06:29

Strap in, folks. This is going to be a long one, and it's going to be what you've all been waiting for.

After a vivid recollection of the events of September 10, Natsuhiko woke up-- Natsuhiko told Mashiro and Salyu how he had met up with Yuuri.

Y-yeah!
Salyu, did the Area 1 elevator look functional?
Unfortunately not. Looks like the elevators are out of service.
Our only escape route is to find a safe emergency staircase.
Let's go, then! Area 2's up ahead!

Natsuhiko ran off with the girls.

In front of the closed gate, Natsuhiko recalled the events of the 11th.

--At the end of that reminiscence, Natsuhiko returned to reality once more.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

For a second, they had thought that the rescue squad had come to save them-- But Salyu flung the men to the ground.

Rescue Worker 2: Ghh!
Salyu, why...!?
Natsuhiko, Mashiro. You guys are too soft... You let your guards down too quick.
Huh!?
Why are you so quick to trust people?

For a moment, Natsuhiko had no idea what was happening-- but then he recalled what happened on the 12th.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Those were memories of the day they made friends with Salyu. And she wouldn't knock out rescue squad members without a good reason. In other words, the men inside those protection suits were the terrorists they were looking for.

Rescue Worker 2: ...You'd have been better off not noticing that...!

The terrorist slowly rose to his feet as he spoke. As the others in the group stiffened up, Salyu yelled.

I'll get rid of him! The other one's fainted, so I can manage one-on-one combat! You guys go find an exit! If you find one, contact me through telepathy!

Natsuhiko hesitated, but what Salyu said was right.

Salyu, it's a promise! We -will- get out of here-- together! We'll find an exit and wait for you, okay!?

Natsuhiko turned and fled with Yuuri and Mashiro.

If they couldn't find an exit, should they rejoin with Salyu and help her fight the terrorists? Once that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, Yuuri raised her voice.

!?
What is your duty!? There's something you need to do first, remember!? I thought I told you back on that day too.

The moment she told him that, he recalled the events of the 13th.

Natsuhiko didn't believe Mashiro when she first talked about the terrorist plot. The current situation was the result of his disbelief.

(Then what I need to do first... is to get Mashiro and the others out of here! Is there any way at all to climb this thing!? If I can at least get Mashiro and the others out, then--)

But at that moment,

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

...I'm sorry. It was an embarrassing defeat.

Salyu was shot and wounded by the terrorists. There were at least three of them. They had incredible physiques and apparently even a gun. ''All we can do is run'' ''Dr. Tenkawa already managed to escape'' As Salyu reassured him, Natsuhiko called out to her.

Okay, Salyu, then come down here! Let's escape together!
No, I can't climb down with this arm. I think it'd be difficult for you guys to climb up too. So let's split up and escape separately.
No! Will you be okay by yourself, Salyu!?
I will. But there's no time to speak my reasoning. So let's use BC.
!?

Once she said that, Natsuhiko used empathy right away. And soon enough, Salyu's mental voice echoed in Natsuhiko's head. --Her clear, high—speed thought process allowed her to convey everything to them. In a matter of mere moments.

{It seems they have abandoned all efforts to maintain appearances. I believe that the next time we come across them, they'll shoot us on sight. Our chances of escape in these circumstances are unclear. But I'll ensure our escape despite the odds. Because I still want to live with you all. ...This might be irrational of me-- But when I think about living with you all, a strong will surges inside me. It even lets me forget about the pain in my arm. I've finally found life interesting for once. I don't want it to end like this. I truly enjoyed these past six days. Natsuhiko, thank you for praising my cooking. It was the first time I had ever cooked. Mashiro, thank you for giving me this nickname. I really liked it. Yuuri, it's a little late now, but I wanted to know more about you. ...These are my true feelings. What I've always wanted to tell you all. If I had one wish, it would be to have another meal at that house. And by then, I'm sure I could make food that's even more delicious, so...}

She got that far with her thoughts before stopping with a faint smile.

Salyu...!

Something warm filled Natsuhiko's chest. Yuuri and Mashiro murmured in trembling voices.

Salyu...
Me too, Salyu...!

Mashiro-- and perhaps Yuuri-- seemed to have read Salyu's mind.

(She was really that thankful for such a small gesture...!?)

Salyu's feelings were so innocent that he didn't want to part with her. But nevertheless, Natsuhiko forced himself to smile as he called out to her.

...Okay! Leave these two to me! Promise me one more thing! That we'll all live long enough to meet again on the outside!
...Promise.

And with that, Salyu disappeared.

Mashiro and Yuuri nodded meekly. And then they ran once again.

But once they left Area 3 and approached Area 4's outer ring--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

They somehow managed to pass through and reach the next connecting passageway, but--

--there was yet another fire blocking their way. The terrorists were chasing from behind. There was no escape. As they fell into despair, visions of the 14th suddenly flickered before Natsuhiko's eyes.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

That was the day there was a bomb threat at school. They heard about Q. They trespassed into the PRC. They got chased by the security department... And finally, that was the day he swore to protect the town with Mashiro and Salyu. He swore to protect it even if it meant having to be away from Yuuri. But in the end, Yuuri still got dragged into the affair, and was now standing in front of Natsuhiko. That day inspired Natsuhiko. Both through the regret he had for getting the girls involved and through the courage those girls had given him.

Those words fanned the fire burning in Natsuhiko's heart.

(That's right. I need to be stronger... Or else I have no hope of overcoming the past!)

Natsuhiko grabbed Mashiro by the hand.

Don't give up...! Let's go, Mashiro!
Huh? Wh-where!?
Let's take a different path! This isn't the only way to Area 5!

Inspired by the memory of that long day, Natsuhiko took Yuuri and Mashiro and ran.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Locking down all gates and bulkheads. All facility personnel, please administer AD, take shelter in the nearest room, and stay in place.

Wh-what's the meaning of this!?
We've been locked inside the building...!

There appeared to be no exits anywhere. In a daze, Natsuhiko's mind suddenly recalled his memories of the 15th.

The day Ena told them about the true history of their country and the details of the organization known as Q. The day they caught the culprit behind the PRC bombing and learned that LABO was the next target-- And finally, the day they finally confronted the terrorists but were defeated. The resentment, anger, and bitterness he felt that day rose once again in his heart.

(That's right... that was only a few hours ago, wasn't it? The regret I felt back then brought me here--)

As that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, Yuuri softly whispered beside him.

You've overcome several obstacles to get here... You've obtained the strength you need to overcome the past. No matter what happens from now on, your mind will endure. You should be able to overcome anything.

Those words fortified Natsuhiko's mind even further.

Mashiro, we can't give up yet. There has to be a way out.
B-but we can't go anywhere because the gate won't open...
No... We'll search for a security card. As long as we have the right card, we can go to Area 6.

Right after the alarm went off, the whole facility went into mass panic. It wouldn't be strange if a staff member had forgotten their card somewhere.

(I swear I'll find a card... and get these two girls out of here if it's the last thing I do!)

Natsuhiko held that conviction and began the search for a security card. --And thus, as reminiscence and reality converged, Natsuhiko progressed bit by bit. And in the room he arrived in, Natsuhiko discovered a certain something.

Why's there a picture of me here...!?

He also found a file labeled with the year ''2021''. Without thinking, he took it down and starting turning through it.

(The answer just might be in here...!)

As soon as that thought crossed his mind, he felt someone's presence.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

... Yuuri...! Did you send me into this room because you knew about this!?
Did I send you...? No, Hikorin, you chose this room yourself. We came into this room nine years ago too, didn't we? To escape the fire and the smoke... You couldn't find a card back then. But this time, you can find one for sure. Look for it... and escape with Mashiron.
With Mashiro...? What about you, Yuuri?
I can't go with you.
Why not!?
Haven't you realized it already? ...Hikorin, try to remember what it was you saw and heard today. For the truth lies in those observations...

The moment Yuuri said that, Natsuhiko realized something.

(Ah...!? She already said that ''just now''...!)

Indeed-- Natsuhiko had recalled everything that happened up to that very moment. He had recalled all his memories this morning from waking up in the ruined factory to entering this very room--

And at the same time-- An intense anxiety welled up from within him.

(Wh... what is this...!?)

It wasn't because he had kept recalling things. While that was indeed strange and he didn't know why it was happening-- there was something far stranger. In his memories of just a few hours ago, something felt bizarrely out of place. Earlier, when Yuuri said ''the truth lies in those observations'', it sent intense tremors in Natsuhiko’s mind.

(Strange... Something's strange...!)

His headache got even worse. It gave him the feeling that he mustn't think any further about that matter. However-- Natsuhiko's gaze fell onto the file in his hands. The file labeled ''2021'' that was in his mother's care. He flipped through the chronologically organized documents. And eventually--

!!

One page in particular caught Natsuhiko's eye. The paper was dated July 7, 2021. The day Natsuhiko and Yuuri got caught in an accident-- The page contained clippings of newspaper articles.

Natsuhiko's heart throbbed in pain as he finished reading the article. He had a terribly bad feeling about the next document, but still he flipped the page. Next was what appeared to be an internal LABO document concerning the incident.

The more he continued reading, the more Natsuhiko's heart pounded like an alarm bell.

Huh... ah...

The document was littered with initialisms and cryptic terminology, but there was one thing he could understand clearly: The cause of the incident that Natsuhiko and Yuuri had encountered-- --was arson committed by a facility staff member.

(The incident nine years ago and the incident today were no accidents...! So is that why there've been so many coincidences...!?)

But there was a far more important detail in the document. ''Two lives were lost as a result.'' Natsuhiko felt an absurd anxiety over those words. --One of the ones who died nine years ago was the arsonist, ''Senior Fellow S''. Then who was the other life lost--?

(... It can't be... It can't be!!)

Voices echoed inside his head telling him ''Stop'' ''Don't read any more''. An unbearable pain ran through his head. But Natsuhiko shook it off-- And turned the page.

♪ BGM: Heartbeat ♫

... Ah...

A moan squeezed out from the bottom of his throat. A single line from the article jumped out and bore its way forcefully into his eyes.

Ahh, Agh, Aaaagghhhh....!

His body trembled. He couldn't think. He couldn't understand. But soon enough, in the depths of that white darkness, the memories of nine years ago-- --came rushing back to Natsuhiko.

Y-Yuuri, are you okay!?
Y-yeah...!

Yuuri answered with painful breaths. --That day, Natsuhiko and Yuuri had trespassed all the way to B1 Area 5. But once they got there, the path was a sea of fire. Flames danced about everywhere, shrouding the facility in smoke. They didn't seem to have very long before they'd be surrounded by fire.

(Wh-what do we do...? At this rate, Yuuri's gonna...!)

They searched everywhere in Area 5, but they could not find Natsuhiko's mother. Perhaps she had already escaped without waiting for them.

(In that case, we have to hurry and get out of here...!)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind-- --an ominous siren suddenly bellowed.

Hweh!?
Wh-what!? What's that sound--

A loud alarm bellowed, much different from the siren of the fire alarm. An automatic broadcast voice followed.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Locking down all gates and bulkheads. All facility personnel, please administer AD, take shelter in the nearest room, and stay in place.

The broadcast said nothing more before cutting out. Natsuhiko looked toward the connecting passageway in shock.

Ah!

Natsuhiko rushed over to the gate and tried opening it. But no matter how much strength he used, no matter how much he pressed the open button, the gate wouldn't budge one bit.

Wh-why...!?
H-Hikorin... what's wrong...?

With a worried look on her face, Yuuri gripped Natsuhiko's hand tight. Natsuhiko answered tearfully.

I-I don't know why... But the door won't open anymore!
--! Y-you mean we can't get out...?
I-it's okay! I'll open this dumb thing up right now!

Natsuhiko fired himself up and struck the door with all his might. But as he did, smoke billowed up from somewhere and flooded the surrounding air.

*cough*! *cough* *cough*!

Natsuhiko panicked as he heard Yuuri's coughing. But no matter how many times he pounded on the door, it wouldn't open.

Darn it! Why won't it open!
*sob*... *sob*... Wh-what do we do, Hikorin... I'm scared...!
Don't cry, Yuuri! I'll do something!

As he screamed with his wavering voice, Natsuhiko pounded recklessly on the gate.

Uugh... uugh...!

Tears welled up in Natsuhiko's eyes. Tears of fear. Tears of pain from slamming the gate with his fists.

*cough* ... *cough* ...! ...

Eventually Yuuri's coughing started to grow weak.

Y-Yuuri...!
Ugh...

When he turned around, Yuuri had sunk to the floor.

(If we stay here, Yuuri's gonna die...!)

Natsuhiko carried Yuuri's body and slowly started to walk. His head hurt terribly, perhaps due to smoke inhalation. He was sick to his stomach and his skin felt numb. But even so, he desperately searched for a route to survival--

Their sole path to escape, the emergency staircase, was engulfed in flames, preventing any possible approach.

They desperately shut the door, but the smoke got in through the gaps.

Yuuri coughed within Natsuhiko's arms. Her powerless voice tore at Natsuhiko's heart. --There was nowhere to run. The fire intensified and the smoke chased them everywhere. This small room too would eventually be engulfed in flames. Even as a young child, Natsuhiko knew. He knew that death was near.

Ugh... Uuugh...!

He sobbed words of regret.

I'm sorry, Yuuri... it's all because I took you with me...
I tried to act cool and say I'd save Mom... But I couldn't, and now I got you trapped in this mess... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry...!

Before he knew it, tears were dripping out of his eyes. His body withered in helplessness. His heart tore apart with regret. But then-- Yuuri's hand touched Natsuhiko's cheek.

...It's okay, Hikorin... It's because you're always trying your hardest, for everyone else... I loved that about you... So I'm glad... that you stayed with me... until the end.

As she spoke, she smiled. A smile with but a fraction of the brightness of a sixth magnitude star.

Yuuri...!

Natsuhiko embraced Yuuri.

Her body was powerless. He was afraid that she'd collapse if he let go. The smoke snatched away Natsuhiko's strength as well, and it became difficult for him to support her. His consciousness threatened to fade away, but even so--

(... I can't give up... I need to find a way to save Yuuri...!)

Natsuhiko thought desperately. He searched around the room for a way to escape. And on top of the desk, he caught sight of a digital photo frame.

(...!)

There was a picture of Natsuhiko and his mother.

(So this is Mom's room...!?)

That tiniest bit of information sparked hope in Natsuhiko's heart. Within his arms, Yuuri's face was pale, her eyes closed. He remembered the days he had spent with her. How they had run around in the park, played at home, gone on tests of courage, and finally-- How they had practiced telepathy together.

(... Telepathy...! If I can use telepathy to tell someone we're here-- Then someone will come save us!!)

He keened all his mind to the best of his ability. He focused on a distress signal. To survive. To save Yuuri. Eventually, all the surrounding sound faded into the distance-- And his mental voice was sent free.

{Someone come save us! We're in Dr. Tenkawa's room!}

--That was the very first time he had used telepathy in his life. He had never used it before, but he had a feeling he had used it for sure.

(All right...! I'll send it over and over until it reaches someone...!)

Natsuhiko kept using telepathy. His five senses dampened and he became unaware of the outside world. --Eventually, once Natsuhiko was near the limits of his ability to concentrate-- He heard someone's voice.

???: --hiko! Natsuhiko! Ahh, Yuuri too...!

Natsuhiko snapped back to his senses and looked at the voice's owner.

Thank goodness you're safe! I came here to save you! Let's take Yuuri and get out of here!
Y-yeah...!

Natsuhiko whipped his numb body into shape and stood up. The professor carried the limp Yuuri and dashed out of the room.

I-is there an escape route...?
...It's okay. There's an emergency escape in Area 6. I swear I'll save you two... So relax.

The professor's voice was seeping with determination.

And in the deepest part of the room, there was a security gate-- She ran up to it and took a card out of her pocket. She passed the card through the terminal on the side of the gate, and the gate opened.

This is a cargo lift... It can't go down to the basement from the ground floors, but it should go up the other way, even during incidents like these...!

The professor walked up to the control panel and operated it.

Please work...!

She whispered as if in prayer, and eventually the lift door opened with a heavy sound.

They climbed into the lift. The professor laid Yuuri on the floor and closed the door using the control panel.

(... Thank goodness...!)

Natsuhiko's consciousness suddenly faded into the distance.

...? Natsuhiko!? What's wrong!? Natsuhiko!

Natsuhiko felt like he heard his mother's voice as his consciousness faded.

------
----
--

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

...Ugh...

Oh, you're awake! Thank goodness!
Ah... M-Mom.

His usually calm and collected mother was, for that moment only, smiling joyfully.

You were asleep for two days... I was so worried about you. But I'm truly glad that you're safe...

But-- Natsuhiko asked his mother a question with a hollow voice.

Mom... ... How's Yuuri?

He couldn't see Yuuri anywhere. But the professor's smile froze at the question.

Natsuhiko, please calm down and listen carefully...

She answered with a sunken expression on her face.

Yuuri... ...Yuuri breathed her last breath last night...
... Huh?

Natsuhiko couldn't understand a word the professor was saying.

... No way. Why did Yuuri...!?
You see, Yuuri had a weak constitution... She breathed in too much smoke, and in the end, she couldn't regain consciousness... ...And so, last night...

None of the words entered his head. He couldn't perceive any meaning. But bit by bit, the truth slowly soaked into Natsuhiko's mind.

No way... ...Aah, aah... ... AaaaAAAHHHH!!

The young Natsuhiko's cries echoed through the hospital that night.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. So we've had an imaginary friend all this time. I suppose if we've been living in "a world where Yuuri was alive" we wouldn't even listen to anyone saying otherwise.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait... Yuuri's situation sound very similar to Akane's from 999.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Junpei posted:

Wait... Yuuri's situation sound very similar to Akane's from 999.

There is one key difference between that situation and this one however: Akane was saved by Junpei and thus was alive to engineer her rescue. Yuuri, be she ghost or imaginary friend, did not survive.

Glazius posted:

Well, dang. So we've had an imaginary friend all this time. I suppose if we've been living in "a world where Yuuri was alive" we wouldn't even listen to anyone saying otherwise.

Yeah, Salyu's words strongly suggest that only Nat sees her. Though I don't think she's an imaginary being, per se.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

This really is a good opportunity to reread PHANTOM and realize just why Mashiro was so flustered there.

PHANTOM: 09/12/2030, 10:05 posted:

...The brain actively works to rationalize its perceptions and eliminate inconsistencies. This is just an obvious example of that. Depending on the circumstances, the brain will even distort reality. As far as the inventor was concerned, the hallucination was the truth and the real voice was the fabrication. No matter what those around him said, he never once doubted what he thought to be the truth, and so--

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:ms:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jesus it really took its sweet time getting to this point. loving look at this poo poo. Look how many updates it took us to get the crew from the checkpoint and into Tenkawa's office.

Mashiro is still the worst. Salyu has grown on me I admit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Of course they're doing the "your mom really cared about you all along, Natsuhiko!" thing. Because that totally makes up for her being an absentee parent. And Natsuhiko immediately buys it, because Japan.

My real question with Yuuri is why the hell does Watase see her in Route:After? It's easy to explain it away with Natsuhiko's brain interpreting everything as if Yuuri is alive, but Watase shouldn't be doing that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haifisch posted:

Of course they're doing the "your mom really cared about you all along, Natsuhiko!" thing. Because that totally makes up for her being an absentee parent. And Natsuhiko immediately buys it, because Japan.

My real question with Yuuri is why the hell does Watase see her in Route:After? It's easy to explain it away with Natsuhiko's brain interpreting everything as if Yuuri is alive, but Watase shouldn't be doing that.

Yeah, that's still a thing. Kinda feels like we've solved a big mystery, but definitely not all of them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Haifisch posted:

It's so loving transparent too. Like I know we're prob gonna get some dark backstory but come the gently caress on Mashiro you can do better than "your mom loves you Natsuhiko! Afyer all she hoisted all her responsibilities onto me! Aren't I good housewife material?"

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
So, uh, Natsuhiko has just been under a persistent delusion that Yuuri is alive and living at his house, and everyone close to him has enabled that delusion? that makes SOME sense by the internal logic of this story. I guess after Natsuhiko's poor reaction to his mom telling him Yuuri died, she decided to let him believe what he wanted, and possibly also asked Mashiro to do the same. And then after meeting Salyu, at some point Mashiro must've asked Salyu to play along whenever Natsuhiko mentioned Yuuri.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Spatula City posted:

So, uh, Natsuhiko has just been under a persistent delusion that Yuuri is alive and living at his house, and everyone close to him has enabled that delusion? that makes SOME sense by the internal logic of this story. I guess after Natsuhiko's poor reaction to his mom telling him Yuuri died, she decided to let him believe what he wanted, and possibly also asked Mashiro to do the same. And then after meeting Salyu, at some point Mashiro must've asked Salyu to play along whenever Natsuhiko mentioned Yuuri.

When they first mentioned Yuuri to Salyu she said that Doctor Tenkawa had "informed [her] about the situation with Natsuhiko and Yuuri".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mental health care & the stigma of mental illness is pretty bad in Japan, so I can buy the response to Natsuhiko's delusions being "just play along" instead of "that boy needs therapy."

And that's ignoring the fact that stories in general(including this one) would have a lot less drama if this stuff was dealt with sensibly. Characters gotta stay tortured for our amusement.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Spatula City posted:

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but yes, that's what happened.

You may want to wait to finish the route first for more explanations, but basically, go back through Route B and treat it as though Yuuri actually isn't there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It also serves as a weird explanation for why his BC was rather broken after that incident, since his whole mental state was off kilter.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Cyouni posted:

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but yes, that's what happened.

You may want to wait to finish the route first for more explanations, but basically, go back through Route B and treat it as though Yuuri actually isn't there.

I haven't done this yet, but the way I read the reveal was that Natsuhiko's psychic power is so strong that his hallucination of Yuuri was visible and audible to everyone else in the house because he was convinced of its presence. She's there in Before because it's almost like a parasite that transferred to Watase and broadcasted to the survivors through him. In essence he made a "BC ghost" a la the explanation earlier and is going to transfer that self-sustaining information broadcast over very shortly.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Mister Olympus posted:

I haven't done this yet, but the way I read the reveal was that Natsuhiko's psychic power is so strong that his hallucination of Yuuri was visible and audible to everyone else in the house because he was convinced of its presence. She's there in Before because it's almost like a parasite that transferred to Watase and broadcasted to the survivors through him. In essence he made a "BC ghost" a la the explanation earlier and is going to transfer that self-sustaining information broadcast over very shortly.

Something like that makes sense in terms of "how are Watase and the others seeing Yuuri in After?", but Salyu's words in LABO make it clear that others don't see her. Then again, just because you suddenly realise the truth doesn't really make you entirely sane again and 'those who use BC improperly' are known for spreading madness....

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

He makes a BC ghost that gets AD injections? One strong enough to persist through all the AD - a substance that (IIRC) inhibits BC - that the subjects are injecting themselves? One that he decides to make appear dead to just one person for... some reason?

Y'know, with the way the story's going, that's probably true. I know I was the one who started the whole ghost thing, but I really haven't been enjoying this Route. Watase's story is way more interesting, this Route hasn't really told us anything new about Ena or Ukita (or Jun I guess) to inform their actions in the other Route, and I really dislike how BC went from "psychic powers" to "able to do whatever the plot demands at any given moment".

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

He makes a BC ghost that gets AD injections? One strong enough to persist through all the AD - a substance that (IIRC) inhibits BC - that the subjects are injecting themselves? One that he decides to make appear dead to just one person for... some reason?

Y'know, with the way the story's going, that's probably true. I know I was the one who started the whole ghost thing, but I really haven't been enjoying this Route. Watase's story is way more interesting, this Route hasn't really told us anything new about Ena or Ukita (or Jun I guess) to inform their actions in the other Route, and I really dislike how BC went from "psychic powers" to "able to do whatever the plot demands at any given moment".

I mean under this theory, Watase physically is just squirting AD into thin air while miming out injecting it into Yuuri because she's made of information/energy--she just has the look and feel of reality.

And yeah, I imagine it's either "Natsuhiko is just that much of a chosen one, bringing balance to the Force" or "all the ghosts leaking out of the reactor keep the Yuuri projection stable"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mister Olympus posted:

I mean under this theory, Watase physically is just squirting AD into thin air while miming out injecting it into Yuuri because she's made of information/energy--she just has the look and feel of reality.

And yeah, I imagine it's either "Natsuhiko is just that much of a chosen one, bringing balance to the Force" or "all the ghosts leaking out of the reactor keep the Yuuri projection stable"

Hold on, BC particles are a physical thing. So a physical hallucination isn't exactly impossible :psyduck:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The other option is that there are two Yuuris. The one that died in LABO 8 years ago and the one that's currently running around in Watase's story. Or maybe... they're the same Yuuri and she never died to begin with, it's just that no one knows she's still alive aside from the higher ups in LABO. We know that Natsuhiko's mom isn't exactly the most trustworthy of people.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Logicblade posted:

The other option is that there are two Yuuris. The one that died in LABO 8 years ago and the one that's currently running around in Watase's story. Or maybe... they're the same Yuuri and she never died to begin with, it's just that no one knows she's still alive aside from the higher ups in LABO. We know that Natsuhiko's mom isn't exactly the most trustworthy of people.

There were two Yuuris in the intro, and I don't remember the one in After wearing the little hat she does here. It's also way less plausible that she was a hallucination in After, at least before the fuckery with her corpse. I believe you're on to something.

Now I'm thinking Natsuhiko will figure this out before the route's end, since he spends After directing Watase to look after Yuuri.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TRUTH: 09/16/2030, 07:28

H... huh...!?

His voice spilled out of his lips on its own.

(Yuuri... died back then...!?)

The moment the memory came back, he recalled each and every truth tied to it. How Yuuri's funeral service went about quietly. How Natsuhiko was unable to attend. And how Yuuri's parents did not die in a traffic accident at all. Rather, they took advantage of their daughter's death to move out of the city--

(... Then...)

Natsuhiko pondered.

(In that case, who's the Yuuri standing right there--?)

He timidly looked up. He tried to look at Yuuri, who he knew was standing in front of him. But as she stood there, her body--

♪ BGM: Rondo Carrousel (Instrumental Arrange)

----...!!

--was faint and hazy.

...Yuuri.

He called her name. In response, Yuuri just looked at him sadly-- and murmured.

Now you understand why I said I couldn't go with you, don't you...?
...!

That very moment, the facade Natsuhiko had believed to be the truth started crumbling down.

...No...

The brain at times believes that hallucinations are real. Since the hallucination 'exists' to that person, they feel no fear nor doubt.
Even though it's a hallucination...?
Even though it's a hallucination.

That word reverberated in his head.

(Impossible...! There's no way Yuuri can be a hallucination...! She's been with me these nine years!! I swear she was with me!!)

Shock and confusion commanded Natsuhiko's thought process. But-- the more he thought about it, the more tell-tale signs he found.

Each of those symptoms applied to Natsuhiko.

(H-hold on... ... Have I always had it backwards? The one who lost their emotional balance after the accident wasn't Yuuri--!)

''How can you even tell?'' ''Because those were the words you were wishing for.'' At the time, he had thought Yuuri used empathy. But she never needed to read his mind at all. Because Yuuri only existed in Natsuhiko's mind to begin with...!

What about you, Salyu? I've heard that manga and anime are popular in France.
True. So what about you, Salyu?
Huh?

Salyu always asked for a repeat of what Yuuri said. It wasn't simply because she didn't hear Yuuri. It was because Yuuri's voice could only be heard in Natsuhiko's mind. --The reason Yuuri couldn't leave the house was because Natsuhiko wished it so. Because it would be inconvenient to him if ''Yuuri'' were to attract outside attention.

(''The brain actively works to rationalize its perceptions to eliminate inconsistencies''...!)

Natsuhiko's perceptions were held up by countless rationalizations.

The reason Natsuhiko felt no sexual desire for Yuuri was because he couldn't touch her. And yet he kept believing Yuuri was there, all these nine years... Because he was unable to accept her death.

(Yuuri is gone...? Does that mean she's been dead for ages...!?)

The truth gradually sank into Natsuhiko's mind.

He recalled all the memories he shared with Yuuri up until today. And all the scenes she was in--

...Ah...

Well, I'm surprised too-- but Yuuri's here in the facility.
Huh!?

Mashiro and Salyu looked around in shock.

There was nothing but air where Natsuhiko thought Yuuri was standing.

And it wasn't only the illusions in his memory. The illusion before his very eyes was also fading in favor of the truth. The fading illusion gazed at Natsuhiko and whispered.

...Hikorin, it's time to say goodbye.
--

''Wait. Don't go.'' He tried to speak. But his voice wouldn't come out. He couldn't even find the words.

...I'm sorry for deceiving you for so long. I wanted to support you...
...But I'm sure you'll be okay without me now. You've noticed it these past few days, haven't you? You're not alone, Hikorin. With Mashiron at your side, and Salyu too... You've overcome everything that's come your way, haven't you? The professor's always thinking about you too. No matter how harsh the truth might be, there are plenty of people there to support you. ...You see, that's the final thing I wanted to tell you.

Perhaps that was why Natsuhiko recalled his memories again and again. To etch into his mind just how important Mashiro, Salyu, and everyone else were to him. So he'd be able to handle the truth. To correct the inconsistencies of his perception, little by little--

(... That's right. Whenever I tried to reject Mashiro and Salyu... premonitions of disastrous futures would come to mind.)

Were those premonitions merely illusions made subconsciously by Natsuhiko's mind as a warning? Did his subconscious know that if he were to continue rejecting Mashiro and Salyu, he would be unable to stand up to the truth...? But none of that mattered to him anymore. Natsuhiko reached out to Yuuri and raised his voice.

Please don't go, Yuuri!
Huh...?
The days I spent with you are irreplaceable! I don't care if you're an illusion! Don't disappear! I'm begging you!

Yuuri sadly responded to his cries.

...I'm sorry, Hikorin. But I have to. Because you've noticed the fact that I'm gone... But because of that, time has finally started to move again for you after it's been stopped for nine years, hasn't it? You can live again now. You can live your own life, no longer bound by your memory of me...
So... ... ...

That was her final word. For she had disappeared. For the illusion vanished before Natsuhiko's eyes--!

...Ah... ...Ugh, aah....

Eventually, a strangled cry escaped from Natsuhiko's throat.

--AaaaaAAAAAGGHH!!

It was the same scream he let out when he learned of Yuuri's death. The bitter cry of one who had learned the truth.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Dang, kinda wanted to be right.

I guess my thoughts re: why Watase is seeing her could still be on the money

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...you guys realize how utterly monstrous mashiro is in this context yes?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mashiro's varied between 'poor impulse control & worse decision making skills' and 'self-absorbed rear end in a top hat' this whole route, so this isn't really anything new. :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

SSNeoman posted:

...you guys realize how utterly monstrous mashiro is in this context yes?

well, I mean, there is the enormous social stigma attached to mental illness in Japanese culture. So while none of this makes psychological sense to us, and comes across as tremendously lovely, we're seeing it in a different cultural context.
though, the conclusion in that case is that Japanese culture is emotionally unhealthy, an idea we've been talking about here for a while in the context of Natsuhiko's mother.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize the other route was some hosed-up poo poo now, is what I realize. Good lord, what Watase must have looked like. Diving under a collapsing wall to save someone who doesn't exist?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

TheMcD posted:

Oh boy, doesn't look like she's warming up to you all that much, Captain. Well then, would you tell me your name, missy?
... ...ri.
Huh?
'Yuuri'.

The girl only gave her first name.

Yuuri, huh? Aw, that's a cute name. Nice to meet you!.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Glazius posted:

I realize the other route was some hosed-up poo poo now, is what I realize. Good lord, what Watase must have looked like. Diving under a collapsing wall to save someone who doesn't exist?

This invites the question of how Yuuri got into Watase's noggin in the first place, though. I wonder if it would be possible to go so far ~Beyond Communication~ that a teenage boy who's had a crazy week could accidentally overwrite the lovely personality of an angry, fearful terrorist, headmate and all :raise:

Part of me wants to be wrong, because it would effectively hand the anti-BC extremists a talking point, imo. On the other hand, new-flavor Watase sounds like a distinct improvement on the original :v:

edit: vvv Aw :smith:

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 14, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's certainly not just Watase that sees Yuuri, as shown above.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, everybody from the main Route After crew (i.E. Watase, Kazami, Jun, Ukita, Ena) saw Yuuri and a large part of it directly interacted with Yuuri on a physical level. Remember how our first meeting with Yuuri ended with Jun hoisting her into a fireman's carry and rescuing her from a burning room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LIE: 09/16/2030, 07:32

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

It was Mashiro.

Natsuhiko, I heard a scream. What happened!?

Natsuhiko answered the worried Mashiro with a hollow voice.

...Yuuri...
Huh...? Did something happen to Yuuri?
...She disappeared...
She disappeared...? W-wasn't she with you? Did she run off somewhere?

Mashiro looked around the room. --She was playing along. Just like she always had--

(... Then Mashiro must be reading my...!)

Once Natsuhiko realized that fact, he slumped powerlessly against the wall.

Kh... khahah... hahahahahah...

He started giggling to himself. It was a frightening voice that sent shivers down his own spine.

...!? H-hey, what happened!? You're acting kind of strange!
Hey! What's wrong!?

Mashiro reached out and tried to touch Natsuhiko. But Natsuhiko pushed her hand away.

Kgh... Isn't it a little late to say that?
... Huh?
I've been acting strange for years, haven't I...?

Mashiro's face stiffened at those words.

Years...!? Natsuhiko, did you--

--Kyah!!

Natsuhiko grabbed Mashiro by the shoulders and pushed her against the wall.

Natsuhiko... s-stop it, you're hurting me...
You've been lying to me all this time, haven't you?
L-lying...!?
Yuuri's gone, isn't she!? She's been gone for nine goddamn years!

And I was the only one who never realized it! I rewrote my reality just to rationalize my own denial! And you just played along with my madness, didn't you!? Is this your idea of a joke!?
N-no...!
Dammit, how dare you...! How dare you lie to me like this...!

And he stood face to face with Mashiro, whose eyes were likewise wet.

Hold on, Natsuhiko! Listen to...
Shut up!

Natsuhiko pressed his forehead into Mashiro's chest. Because he didn't want her to see him cry.

Everyone's been lying to me...! You, and Salyu, and my own mother...!

But that wasn't all that made him sad.

(Mashiro had always talked to Yuuri like it was normal...)

How could she do that when Yuuri only existed inside Natsuhiko's head? --There was only one answer.

(Mashiro's been constantly reading my mind with empathy...!)

She said she didn't read other people's minds without permission. But that had always been a lie.

Natsuhiko gripped Mashiro’s shoulders even tighter. He didn't care that he was hurting her.

Why!? How could you do such a thing...!?

He was mortified that he had been lied to. And to make matters worse, he was lied to by the one he trusted the most. He would've rather lived with the truth, no matter how cruel, than keep living a lie.

(... Mashiro...!)

Natsuhiko soon felt darker emotions take hold of his heart. Mashiro was no longer the only one here who could use empathy.

(You've always peeped into my mind... So now it's my turn to peep into yours...!)

Natsuhiko focused his mind. He didn't care if all he heard was a noise-ridden mental voice. As long as he could come even the slightest bit closer to understanding Mashiro's feelings.

(Mashiro, tell me... Why have you been lying to me? I can't stand to look you in the eye if you don't...!)

--His ''intention'' was stronger than ever. His intention to expose the secrets in Mashiro's mind. The moment he embraced that intention in his heart--

(!?)

Natsuhiko's consciousness shot out into the endless darkness.

(Huh... Wh-what is this...!?)

It felt like a world shut off from everything. His sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste-- all his senses paused. All that existed there was Natsuhiko's consciousness. Soon enough, he heard a faint voice in his ear.

{I had no other choice... I had no other choice but to keep lying to you...!}

It was Mashiro's voice-- or rather, her thoughts. But it was somehow different from empathy. Natsuhiko's consciousness remained in the darkness even after he had heard Mashiro's voice.

(Wh-what's going on...!?)

It was like the cessation of sensation he experienced during empathy, except it continued on forever-- That was the bizarre sensation he felt.

(What in the hell is this...!?)

And right when Natsuhiko thought that,

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

a countless number of ''somethings'' flickered in the darkness.

(!?)

They were like pictures, or films. Fragmentary 'visions'-- And Natsuhiko was in several of them. And out of all the visions drifting about Natsuhiko, he saw one of his own sorrowful face.

(...! That was me just a second ago...!? No way. Could this be what Mashiro just saw...? ... Her memory!?)

Once he made that realization, he remembered what the phantom Yuuri had said.

{The ability beyond empathy. The power to connect minds rather than just brains. But it would be best if you didn't use it anymore... for you might end up knowing something you'd rather not know.}

When he had tried to read the terrorists' minds last night at the ruined factory-- He didn't hear just their voices. He saw the visions they had seen as well.

(No way, is that what this is...!?)

He didn't understand what she meant when he first heard her. But now he fully understood.

(This is the third ability of BC!?)

The fact that the Yuuri inside his mind said it-- --meant that perhaps Natsuhiko was subconsciously aware of this ability's existence. He didn't understand the particulars. But he vaguely understood why it would be best that he not use this ability. But even so--

(I want to know...! If this ability can give me a deeper understanding of Mashiro than empathy can, then...!)

Fragments of Mashiro's memory drifted about in the darkness. Visions so fragile, so brittle-- Natsuhiko quietly peeked into the first such fragment.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Memories: Magnetic Rose: 07/07/2021, 13:22

(When... is this memory from...?)

Once he pondered that question, a date just popped into Natsuhiko's head. He naturally knew just when that event happened, as if he were recalling his own memories. ''July 7, 2021''

(...!? Wait, that date... This is Mashiro's memory of right before Yuuri and I went to LABO!?)

Inside the memory, ''Natsuhiko'' and ''Mashiro'' spoke.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Mashiro's eyes opened wide at those words.

Stop it, Natsuhiko! It's dangerous! You shouldn't go to a place like that!
Why not?
There are rumors that they do dangerous research there, you know... And besides, 'ra-di-ation' comes outta there, so you can't ever go inside! Dad told me so!
Huh, what's wrong, Mashiro? You chicken? Well fine, I guess I'll just go ask Yuuri then~
...What's that supposed to mean!? Lately you've been Yuuri this and Yuuri that...!

Mashiro loved Yuuri too, and thought of her as a close friend despite their age difference. But for some reason, Mashiro didn't like it whenever Natsuhiko said Yuuri's name.

What? Don’t tell me you're jealous? But you're just a tomboy.
...!

She could feel her cheeks turn red. As the blood rushed to her head--

Fine, I don't care about you anymore, Natsuhiko! Go buzz off with Yuuri and see if I care!

--Mashiro ended up yelling those words. Those words she would later come to regret for years and years...

Mashiro had no idea what happened there.

Mashiro came to the park by herself. She thought it was about time for her to make up with Natsuhiko. She was going to apologize when she saw him at school, but neither Natsuhiko nor Yuuri had attended since the day before yesterday, so she never had a chance.

(That was just another one of our little fights, right...? Things will be back to normal after we play for a day, won't they?)

When she and Natsuhiko played alone, neither ever yielded, but whenever Yuuri was with them, things would be okay. If Yuuri were there to bind them together, then they'd definitely be able to make up soon. And with that plan in mind. Mashiro waited-- But Natsuhiko just wasn't coming, it seemed. Even though he almost always showed up around this time.

... Should I go to Natsuhiko's place...?

Eventually, Mashiro muttered that and walked off.

But nobody came. There was no response no matter how many times she pushed the button.

... That's strange. Excuse me~? Is anybody home~?

The moment she spoke up-- she heard a voice from behind her.

???: ...Mashiro?

Ah, Professor.

When Mashiro called her by that name, the professor spoke to her in a tired voice.

... What's wrong?
Umm, I came here to see Natsuhiko, but he doesn't seem to be in. Where did he go?
... ... You haven't heard yet, have you...
Heard what?
...Natsuhiko is in the hospital.
Hospital!?
There was a fire at LABO, and he and Yuuri got caught in it...
W-was he hospitalized? Yuuri was with him... so is Yuuri in the hospital too!?
...Yuuri's... no longer with us.
...?

With a dark expression on her face, the professor stepped up to Mashiro-- and held her by the shoulders as she spoke slowly.

Mashiro... You see, after she was rescued... ... Yuuri never woke up... And last night...!
... Huh?

--The moment she heard those words-- Mashiro felt her peaceful days come crashing to an end.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

When Cicada Season Is Over: 07/16/2021, 15:32

By the time she attended Yuuri's funeral, she had run out of tears. But one week after that-- Tears would spill out every time she remembered what happened.

*sob*... *sob*...

No matter how much she cried, she could not recover from the sadness of losing a dear friend. Yuuri had an ever-gentle smile on her face. Yuuri had told her she was cute, even when nobody else would treat her like a girl. Yuuri had praised her cooking whenever they played house. --Yuuri was the gentlest, cutest girl that Mashiro wanted to be... And Mashiro could still not believe that she was gone. But even as sadness filled Mashiro's heart, just one other thing remained-- Her worry for Natsuhiko.

(... I wonder if Natsuhiko's okay...)

Natsuhiko didn't attend Yuuri's funeral. He was apparently still in the hospital. He hadn't come to school at all.

(I gotta go pay him a visit...!)

Mashiro wiped her tears as the bus arrived. --As she got off the bus in front of the hospital, Mashiro went through reception and headed to Natsuhiko's room.

Beside him was Dr. Tenkawa.

Professor...
Ah, Mashiro... You came to visit, didn't you? Thank you for taking the time.
N-no problem... Um, is Natsuhiko... asleep...?
... Natsuhiko, you see...

The professor glanced at Natsuhiko. Mashiro peeked at Natsuhiko's face-- and gasped.

He wasn't sleeping. He was lying down with his eyes wide open. But there was no light in those eyes. He just stared blankly at the air.

... Natsuhiko?

No answer.

Natsuhiko.

No answer.

H-hey! What's wrong, Natsuhiko!? Can't you hear me!? Hey!

As Mashiro shouted in confusion, Dr. Tenkawa answered in her son's stead.

...He can't hear you.
Huh?
He's been like that ever since he learned about Yuuri's death... It's not just you, Mashiro. He won't respond to anyone... not me, nor the doctors. He couldn't come to terms with the truth... and he shut his mind away...
...No...

Mashiro looked at Natsuhiko in blank amazement. His gaze pointed off somewhere far into the distance... --Mashiro left the hospital in disbelief.

But the strongest feeling of them all-- was regret.

(... Yuuri went to LABO in my stead and died because of it... That's why Natsuhiko's like that...)

Mashiro's heart was torn apart by the regret of what she could never undo. She couldn't think of a way to dispel that regret--

(At least until Natsuhiko returns to normal, I'll...!)

She resolved to put everything she had into watching over Natsuhiko. She didn't care if she was merely serving as a replacement for Yuuri or about anything else. Mashiro swore to herself that she would watch over him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sonata in B♭: 07/23/2021, 16:25

She prayed for the day that he'd regain consciousness.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Well, today, you see, I was practicing BC, right? I actually successfully used telepathy for the first time! That means I'm finally Ability Level 1. I started using telepathy before you did, Natsuhiko! Aren't I amazing? Heheh.

No matter how much Mashiro spoke, Natsuhiko would not respond. --But even so, she would come speak with him as she believed that was the only way to bring him back to reality.

Last year we had a test of courage, we freed Sirius, we investigated the Seven Wonders, and lotsa other stuff. Nothing happens without you around, Natsuhiko. It's soo boring.

But even as time passed, and summer break arrived, nothing changed.

You see, there's this boy in the other class, and he sent me this letter, and it said he liked me... ...Hey, Natsuhiko. What should I do?

Though the world around Mashiro was changing, time remained still for Natsuhiko...

I mean, I don't really understand all that stuff... ...Like what it means to like someone...

Mashiro strained to prevent her world from changing so that she wouldn't slip too far from Natsuhiko's time. --And in the blink of an eye, three months passed...

Your mom doesn't let anyone else visit but me, you see. Everyone's really worried since they haven't seen you in three months. You really are popular, you know.

Still no response.

...Everyone's waiting for you to be discharged.

No matter how much she talked to him, there was no response.

Eventually--

... Hey. ...Say something, Natsuhiko...!

Her voice wrung out from the bottom of her heart and echoed through the hospital room.

I'm waiting... for you to come back, Natsuhiko... Now that Yuuri's gone... I've been all alone...

Her vision had blurred before she noticed.

...Natsuhiko...

Mashiro touched Natsuhiko's cheek. He was right there, yet they couldn't exchange words. She could only guess what he was thinking. Mashiro whispered by herself in the tiny room.

...It's so lonely, Natsuhiko... ...I want to play with you like we did back then. I want to fight with you over stupid things...!

Mashiro was already past the point where she had any hope for an answer. Her sobs echoed through the quiet hospital room. --But then--

... ...Ugh...

She heard the voice she had been waiting to hear.

Mashiro gasped. And looked at Natsuhiko in disbelief.

... ah...?

Natsuhiko looked around, confused. The light had returned to his eyes. Eventually, those eyes fell on Mashiro--

... M... Mashiro...?

He called out her name.

----Na-- Natsuhiko!

Natsuhiko twitched at the sudden shout.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Huh, wh-what...? No, where... am I...?

Natsuhiko appeared unaware that he was in a hospital. Mashiro grasped Natsuhiko's hand and answered.

You're in the hospital! You don't remember!?
Ah... th-that's right... Yuuri and I got caught in the fire in LABO...
Yeah, yeah...!

He appeared to be gradually recalling the circumstances. Mashiro softly spoke to him, holding back all the words she wanted to say so they wouldn't overflow.

Natsuhiko, you've been in the hospital ever since then, you know? I've been coming here to visit you...

It's not that big a deal. What matters is that you're back...
I'm sorry... I must've made you worry.

Natsuhiko spoke apologetically. Mashiro wiped her tears and smiled.

I said it's no big deal. More importantly, I gotta call the professor. She needs to know you've woken up!
That's true. Besides--

Natsuhiko smiled as he spoke.

I'm sure Yuuri’s worried too.

--The air froze in the hospital room.

... Huh?
Yuuri. She should be waiting for me at home.
N-Natsuhiko...?

An ominous premonition arose from the pit of Mashiro's stomach. She asked him again in a rough voice.

What... makes you say that...?
Well, I just remembered what happened when they carried me to the hospital. I nearly died from breathing too much smoke... but Yuuri was safe, wasn't she? So Mom told me Yuuri didn't have to be hospitalized.
...!

--That was an impossible memory. Natsuhiko had shut his mind after he learned about Yuuri's death. But Natsuhiko appeared to believe what he had just said from the bottom of his heart.

H-hey, Natsuhiko...? You didn't forget, did you?
Hmm? Forget what?
You see, Yuuri's already... Sh... she's already gone, you know...?

Natsuhiko looked at Mashiro with blank eyes.

Gone... gone where?
Huh...? Like I said, because of the fire... Yuuri breathed in too much smoke... and she died...

Once Mashiro repeated herself,

Natsuhiko suddenly grimaced.

N-Natsuhiko!? What's wrong!?
M-my head just started to...! Uuuuuuugh...! It hurts...!
Natsuhiko! Are you okay, Natsuhiko!?

Natsuhiko groaned for a while-- But eventually his face slackened as if he were at peace.

I-I see. That's good...
What was that just now...?

Natsuhiko tilted his head.

Mashiro had no answer. She had the feeling-- that Natsuhiko's headache was no ordinary headache. Mashiro's body trembled from an unknown fear.

...Well, whatever. Anyway, gotta go call them.
Huh...!?
We gotta tell them I'm awake, right? Besides... I'm sure Yuuri's worried too.

--Once she heard those words, Mashiro finally understood: Natsuhiko still had not returned to reality. He had become emotionally unstable...!

Mashiro called out his name. She called out the name of her friend who looked the same on the outside, but was completely different. The tears she had wiped away had come back.

...?

Natsuhiko looked at her quizzically.

... Mashiro, why are you crying?

------
----
--

As he peered into them, Natsuhiko's mind shook with surprise.

(Wh... what is this...!? Did that really happen!? Without me even being aware of it!?)

Natsuhiko himself had memories of how he was hospitalized after the fire. But what Natsuhiko remembered was completely different.

(So you're saying I was completely comatose for three whole months...? Th-then what happened after that...? How did Mashiro handle me...!?)

As soon as he had the desire to know the answer to that question, another vision rose before his eyes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Odyssey in the Sky With Denpa: 09/10/2030, 06:19

A memory of the recent past. Natsuhiko naturally knew just how much time had passed.

(... Ahh. It's nine years after that day, huh...)

Indeed-- it was a memory of just about a week ago.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Mashiro was making breakfast in the Tenkawa kitchen as usual. And soon enough, she heard the living room door open as Natsuhiko greeted her.

Good morning.
Ah, good morning!

Mashiro returned the greeting and quickly continued cooking. The newscaster on TV was rambling on in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

Newscaster: --Next on the news. Early this morning, Rokumei City's 'BC Training Center' received objectionable literature from an extremist group. A connection to the recently held BC seminar was also identified. The police are now working with the city security department to--

Soon, she heard Natsuhiko's voice mix in with the voice on the TV.

Good morning, Yuuri.

Mashiro turned around.

Good morning, Yuuri!

But Natsuhiko acknowledged that ''Yuuri had entered the room''. Mashiro merely played along.

Breakfast is just about done~

Mashiro distributed the food to Natsuhiko and ''Yuuri'' without any panic in particular. Over the course of the past half year, Mashiro had completely gotten the hang of things.

What's on the menu today?
Hash browns, bacon and eggs, salad, omelettes, and orange juice. A classic all—American breakfast.
Wow, starting the day off with a full meal, huh.

--During that exchange, Natsuhiko was probably hearing Yuuri's voice. Even at this point in time, he still had not accepted her death. He didn't just hear her voice. He always seemed to see an illusion of Yuuri.

(''Charles Bonnet syndrome'', huh...)

Tips posted:

TIP: Charles Bonnet syndrome
Category: Nonfiction

A condition that causes patients to see hallucinations despite otherwise mental normalcy.

First described by Swiss naturalist Charles Bonnet. Often found in old patients with visual impairment due to diabetic retinopathy or cataracts, as well as young patients with brain trauma. Even if the patient is mentally normal and is aware that they are seeing a hallucination, the hallucination is still vivid and can only be judged to be a hallucination using circumstantial evidence. Even if they are aware that it is their own brain showing them the hallucination, they cannot seem to control the hallucinations at will. Worldwide sightings of gods, angels, as well as aliens and ghosts could possibly be the result of Charles Bonnet syndrome.

Mashiro remembered the name of a condition she had read in a book before. Charles Bonnet syndrome-- a general term for a phenomenon that occurs due to an abnormality of information transfer in the brain. Even if the person is mentally normal, they suffer symptoms including visual hallucinations. Often the cause is physical trauma to the brain. When Natsuhiko got caught in the fire, he likely inhaled large volumes of carbon monoxide.

(... I guess that damaged his brain and caused him to hallucinate.)

That was what Mashiro figured. --But aside from that one detail, Natsuhiko was completely normal. As long as he didn't come in contact with the truth of that past, he would live calm, peaceful days.

Thanks for the food~

And thus another morning began. Mashiro secretly used empathy on Natsuhiko. Upon which she heard Yuuri's voice as Natsuhiko heard it in his brain.

{Yup~ it's delicious~ Just like you'd expect from Mashiron~}
Yeah, it's amazing how you can make all of this in such a short amount of time.

Oddly enough, using empathy on Natsuhiko allowed Mashiro to hear Yuuri's voice as Natsuhiko heard it. Mashiro smiled at Natsuhiko.

Hahah, I'm just used to it. I mean, I -have- been doing this for over half a year now.

--It took five years to train herself to that level of ability. At this point in time, Mashiro had gained the equivalent of Ability Level 5. She was able to use empathy smoothly and naturally, without the need to concentrate too hard nor the need to sacrifice her hearing. There were likely very few Communicators with the same level of ability as her in the entire nation. The reason Mashiro was able to obtain such power despite only having Rank B Aptitude-- --was perhaps out of sheer force of will. Her will to ''know'' Natsuhiko's mind. That was what granted her ability beyond her aptitude. Empathy allowed her a glimpse of Natsuhiko's world whenever she wished.

{Huh? Hikorin, you've barely touched your food. Does your tummy hurt?}
Ah, no, I'm fine. I just wanted to savor the food as I ate.
{Really? That's good.}
...I might not look it, but I've got a sturdy body. I've always got a healthy appetite.

With that answer, Natsuhiko stuffed his cheeks with bread.

Oh, I like how you eat, Natsuhiko. Makes all that effort worth it.

The conversation concluded without any issue. Yuuri certainly still existed, at least within the walls of the house. Even if her existence was a fragile illusion built upon the foundation of countless lies. Naturally, Mashiro was unbearably reluctant to peek into Natsuhiko's mind without permission. But she chose to play along with Natsuhiko's story even if it meant she had to overcome her guilty conscience. For that was the only way she could remain by his side. Nine years ago, she took an oath upon herself. To ''watch over Natsuhiko until he returned to his old self''. Mashiro stayed true to that oath even now.

The more serious matter at hand was his panic disorder. One wrong move and Natsuhiko would come close to noticing Yuuri's death-- Causing him to display symptoms including intense headaches and heart palpitations. In extreme cases, his memories would go into disarray and he'd begin to ignore reality. Aside from hospital staff, only Mashiro and Dr. Tenkawa knew about his condition.

(... If only he could gradually improve...)

The most effective treatment for this kind of condition was said to be ''family therapy''-- that is, for the family to treat the patient with devoted support for their condition.

(... I have to play the role of family in the professor's place...)

That was what Dr. Tenkawa had requested due to her frequent absence from home.

But still... sorry for making you do this all the time, Mashiro.
Whaddaya mean? Your mother pays me after all, so it's kinda like a part-time job. And besides, it's not like I do it for you or anything. If I had to say, I do it more for Yuuri. Right, Yuuri?

As Mashiro said that, she secretly thought to herself.

(I do it for Yuuri, huh...)

Mashiro did indeed suffer a deep wound after losing her close friend. She was honestly happy that she could still talk to the deceased Yuuri by using empathy on Natsuhiko. But naturally, that couldn't have been her only reason.

(Then what have all these nine years been for...?)

Not even Mashiro quite knew herself. It couldn't be explained simply by the words ''atonement'' or ''regret''.

(... No, I just... I just want Natsuhiko to return to how he used to be. That's all. Because that's just about all I can do...)

As Mashiro silently recited her convictions, she looked at Natsuhiko. At the boy who gazed at the phantom of a dead girl without ever second guessing himself--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Eternity: 09/11/2030, 16:47

He had become so quiet that he seemed to be a completely different person, but Mashiro believed that the old Natsuhiko was still there at his core.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

She couldn't help but feel her heart tear in two.

Mashiro... I don't know how to say this, but you're a good person.

That's what Natsuhiko had said as they returned from their field trip. His embarrassed expression was the same as how he was as a boy. Something suddenly tightened in Mashiro's chest, forcing her to look away.

...What are you talking about? I'm just copying what you did back in the day.
Really? Was I really that good a guy back then?
Well, I think you still are a pretty good guy, Natsuhiko. Your one weakness is that you can get stubborn sometimes, though.
...Maybe, I guess.

Natsuhiko scratched his head in contemplation.

Fine... you win, Mashiro. I'll try to lower my guard at least a little.
Yeah, that should be good enough. 'This will have to do for now' and all.
What's that, another anime quote?
Yeah. One from way before we were born, though.

When Mashiro smiled, Natsuhiko smiled back. As she looked at his smile, Mashiro secretly thought to herself.

(Yeah. This will have to do for now...)

Mashiro could do nothing for him but watch over him and support him. She didn't do it to boast, nor did she want Natsuhiko to know what she was doing or how she felt. As such, perhaps she really was doing it for Natsuhiko’s sake. Her inconsistencies were endless. Nevertheless, Mashiro thought that she would stay by his side like this forever.

(This is for the best... If I don't at least believe that I'm doing the right thing, then everything I'm doing for Natsuhiko will really be all for nothing. ... Let's leave it at that for now...)

--Those days would eventually come to an end. Their daily life would one day collapse, but there was indeed peace within that life. Like their nostalgic chat in the park illuminated by the glow of the setting sun. Even if that peace were only temporary, it was an irreplaceable treasure to her.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm?
I'm kinda glad we talked about all these things today. Let's come here again sometime when we've got time.
Yeah... every now and then, I guess.

As Natsuhiko muttered that, a gentle breeze enveloped them.

If only this moment of peace could last forever...

• Locked thread