Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone here know if the defences on the various tech armours you get scale with positively with tech aptitude? Specifically, I'm look at whether I should kit my Ogre companions out with Elite Platemail, Machined Platemail or the Electro-Armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The resistances on the Electro-Armor and the resistances as well as the Strength bonus from the Machined Plate scale with Aptitude, the Elite Platemail doesn't. I'm fairly sure Large Machined Plate has the highest DR in the game for a neutral character, so you'll want that for your Ogres once you can build it. The Electro-Armor's biggest advantage is that you can craft it without investing any skillpoints.

Edit: Actually, the resistances on the Machined Plate might only get a penalty if you're magically inclined, which doesn't matter much for Ogre companions.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 14, 2017

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
What's a good weapon for a nearly solo triple class run? I'm thinking staves but then there's the aforementioned flails and also 2 weapon style with one of those extra attack weapons in the offhand...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
FMC or FMT? It makes a difference! (Also full series or just bg2?)

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
FMT , BG2 and TOB

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you're going FMT you want a weapon you can backstab with, since half the joy there is Mislead chain-backstab shenanigans. Staves, katana, longswords are all good choices. Daystar from the Athkatla gates lich is a great first goal.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can also use Carsomyr and sleepwalk through the game.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

gender illusionist posted:

What's a good weapon for a nearly solo triple class run? I'm thinking staves but then there's the aforementioned flails and also 2 weapon style with one of those extra attack weapons in the offhand...

I just put two pips in nearly everything and used most weapons. You don't get that much of a bonus for going nuts and putting 5 in two things imo compared to being able to use just about anything that you pick up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
In SoA I'd go full weeb and spec for Celestial Fury and the Scarlet Ninja-To (Belm before Use Any Item).

Later you can add Carsomyr, Staff of the Ram and/or the fully upgraded Flail of Ages to that collection.

e: Also, multi-classes can only put two points into weapons anyway. They can put 3 into dual-wielding but that's not really worth it early on.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 14, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Samuel Clemens posted:

The resistances on the Electro-Armor and the resistances as well as the Strength bonus from the Machined Plate scale with Aptitude, the Elite Platemail doesn't. I'm fairly sure Large Machined Plate has the highest DR in the game for a neutral character, so you'll want that for your Ogres once you can build it. The Electro-Armor's biggest advantage is that you can craft it without investing any skillpoints.

Edit: Actually, the resistances on the Machined Plate might only get a penalty if you're magically inclined, which doesn't matter much for Ogre companions.

Did a bit of testing with this on Sogg (0 Aptitude) and these were my results. They read as [actual resistance achieved with neutral apt./resistance listed on Armour]:

Large Electro Armour = 39/47 DR, 5/10 Fire, 27/65 Electrical
Large Elite Plate = 45/45 DR, 30/30 Fire,
Large Machined Plate = 48/53 DR, 15/20 Fire, 10/20 Poison, +2 STR

I suppose this makes sense given the amount of investment needed. I might actually take the Elite Plate over the Machined Plate as ogre NPCs are going to have their STR maxed anyways, and poison isn't an issue if you've got Vergil in the party/potions.

Unless you wanna do both, pumping electrical for the Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion (5 points – 20 DR) seems like it might be a better bet than smithing (7 points) as you'll get Charged Rings and the Flow Spectrometers and the best "neutral" helmets tend to cap at 12 DR, more or less making up the difference between Electro Armour and Machined Plate DR.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gender illusionist posted:

FMT , BG2 and TOB

Katanas, Staves, Scimitars, Two Handed Swords, Flails are the Big Five.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
After playing Arcanum for 60 hours since I got it two weeks ago I'm now lusting for more Tim Cain.

I've never actually gotten round to playing the first two Fallout games – should I start with Fallout 1 or Fallout 2? Are there any mods I should definitely get before playing?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

After playing Arcanum for 60 hours since I got it two weeks ago I'm now lusting for more Tim Cain.

I've never actually gotten round to playing the first two Fallout games – should I start with Fallout 1 or Fallout 2? Are there any mods I should definitely get before playing?

Play them in order.

Fallout 1 is a pretty short RPG in general. It's quite easy to 100% in 10-20ish hours. It also provides the backdrop for most of what happens in 2, although it's a very combat focused RPG.

Fallout 2 is closer to a modern RPG. It's 30-40 hours long, lots of social checks/skill checks, etc etc.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Entropy238 posted:

Do not play fallout 2 without adding the fan patches and maybe something to remove the quest timer too. Quest timers are way too old school for me. I think the quest timer for 2 is so short that it really needs some kind of mod tho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Washout posted:

Do not play fallout 2 without adding the fan patches and maybe something to remove the quest timer too. Quest timers are way too old school for me. I think the quest timer for 2 is so short that it really needs some kind of mod tho.

In 2 it's a 13 years in game time limit, unless modern cpus gently caress with the flow of time there's almost no way to hit that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Skwirl posted:

In 2 it's a 13 years in game time limit, unless modern cpus gently caress with the flow of time there's almost no way to hit that.

I thought your tribe was hosed unless you basically ran to the first town and then directly to the water chip? Not necessarily the whole game timer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Washout posted:

I thought your tribe was hosed unless you basically ran to the first town and then directly to the water chip? Not necessarily the whole game timer.

That's the first game, and while it's a shorter limit it's still easily doable if you don't dawdle too much in the beginning.

Edit: Oh wait, I see what you're talking about your tribe gets hosed with no matter what, once you reach a certain point in the main plot, I believe, it's just part of the story

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 17, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Entropy238 posted:

The old Fallout thread is still around if you have specific questions.

Definitely start with the original. It's shorter and easier than the sequel, and they're so similar gameplay-wise that playing one will let you know if you'll enjoy the other.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Washout posted:

You're mixing up Fallout 1 and 2.

Your tribe always gets hosed no matter what in Fallout 2, and you've 150 days to find the water chip for Vault 13 which I believe can be extended by 100 days if you buy water from the Hub in Fallout 1. Even then, the second half of Fallout 1 gives you 13 years to explore the wasteland so long as you've patched the game to official version 1.1 which all digital distrobutions have already applied. You also have to be downright terrible at the game to run out of time before you get to the Hub, like Polygon playing Doom levels of bad.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Samuel Clemens posted:

The old Fallout thread is still around if you have specific questions.

Definitely start with the original. It's shorter and easier than the sequel, and they're so similar gameplay-wise that playing one will let you know if you'll enjoy the other.

Thanks.

I've played fallout 1 for a couple of hours now but I got completely hosed when my pistol critically missed and broke in my hands. I don't have the money to buy a new gun/bullets/stimpaks so I'm hosed. I think I'll restart after reading the old thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Thanks.

I've played fallout 1 for a couple of hours now but I got completely hosed when my pistol critically missed and broke in my hands. I don't have the money to buy a new gun/bullets/stimpaks so I'm hosed. I think I'll restart after reading the old thread.

Dude that is like the peak Fallout experience, just roll with it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Time to journey forth with a cheap machete (and see if you can gank someone else for their gun)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Didn't restart. Ian carried me until I found an uzi, after which I've been making good progress. I'm trying to get the caps together to buy the water treatment chip.

edit: "trying" rather than not trying lel

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2017

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Wow in all the years I've played Fallout 1 I never realized your weapons could break. It's never happened to me once.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/BeamdogInc/status/822221011257065474

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'd just started SoD.

Please tell me I can kill Entar Silvershield and replace him with Biff.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I finished SoD.

Caelar is a goddamned idiot, and Corwin is an rear end in a top hat.

I did enjoy the expansion, though. Maybe it's a natural effect of the game's linearity but the plot escalates nicely and the climatic battles really felt... climatic. The sidequests grate a bit but overall I think the pacing is strong. Though honestly it could probably do with less horde battles, which are basically just "spam Fireball/Holy Smite/Arrows of Detonation" until the framerate returns to normal they're dead.

I doubt Beamdog added new stuff into SoA to accomodate Dragonspear's plot, so it's gonna be weird that Irenicus' doings in Dragonspear aren't addressed in SoA at all but eh I probably shouldn't think about it too much.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
SoD is cool, but yeah, making it "the official middle chapter" of the Baldur's Gate series was a mistake. I'm not sure if it's just Beamdog's boneheadedness or contractual obligations forcing them to do it as an expansion for Baldur's Gate 1. I'm inclined to go with a little of column A and a little of column B, considering the idea of bridging the two games existed for quite a while.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm just finishing up Dragonspear myself. It's remarkably solid, I hadn't expected it to be as fun it has. It's particularly nice to spend a little more time at the mid-levels where creatures like Umber Hulks and ogres can still present a threat. The battles in the last third of the game are pleasingly climactic and it's nice to have drawn out encounters which force me to eke out a use of most of the party's abilities and items. My biggest complaint is that the fog effects tend to go nuts, making it impossible to see anything.

Haven't had any problems with fps on a middling laptop, but there have been a couple times where the game itself starts to chug. I think it's something screwy with the AI or scripting because reloading fixes the problem instantly.

For nerds who like playing through the series with difficulty mods, I recommend playing with SCS on full, including the experience reductions, but don't install the extra spawns from bgtutu (I think?). The spam from the extra spawns generates a lot of XP. With that configuration I finished BG:EE, including TotSC a fair bit under the XP cap, so Dragonspear has still provided a decent challenge, which looks set to carry on to BG2.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I've decided to try out an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink Big World EE Trilogy install.

Pray for me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

docbeard posted:

So I've decided to try out an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink Big World EE Trilogy install.

Pray for me.

Oh is that doable with the EEs? For some reason I thought the 2.0 releases broke all that stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Convex posted:

Oh is that doable with the EEs? For some reason I thought the 2.0 releases broke all that stuff.

The Big World installer/launcher is supposedly up-to-date with 2.0 (though if you have Siege of Dragonspear installed you need to use that modmerge tool to deal with the zipped DLC file).

I GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Convex posted:

There's been an EE version out for about a year or so, but not all the mods work with it yet. Some will probably take a long time if they ever will.

Oh yeah and don't try 'expert' mods without finding out exactly why they are in that category. Usually it's code for "broken as poo poo", very occasionally it's just balance issues or something though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm running a Big World EET Tactics installation which has worked fine, apart from Dragonspear's icons on the world map being messed up. Admittedly, I also unselected all of the extra npcs and the larger quest mods. So, good luck with those.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...in retrospect I probably should have unchecked all the horrible* romance mods but I'm not restarting this installation.

___
*I assume

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The only romance mod you need is the Imoen romance.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

Pray for me.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dillbag posted:

The only romance mod you need is the Imoen romance.

This makes me lay hands.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What exactly is so bad about the Imoen romance mod?

My worst romance experience in BG2 was using the romance hack in the tweak pack and not knowing that it works with Dorn too. So, no matter how much I tried to turn him off, my male PC ended up getting raped by him at various points in the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Entropy238 posted:

What exactly is so bad about the Imoen romance mod?

The fact that it's incest?