Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smithers
Jun 18, 2013
Brolic, Mason Plumlee is not as good as you think he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

dphi posted:

He was gone in the off season anyway though right? Is capitalizing now and getting another first not a good move?

There's never been a player I've gone from hate to love in such a short time, gonna miss his sweet passes.
I dunno how the Blazers would have navigated the cap, but trying to navigate it (trading away Crabbe for an asset?) seems better than trading Plumlee. He has a solid body of work as being as much, if not more, of a net positive than McCollum (who I think is more valuable because scoring is more scarce)

He's legitimately the only thing that I fear when the Clippers play the Blazers because he has so much loving energy on the court that he can make the little plays to tip the scales in the Blazers favor.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

Please give in to your choking urges Spre!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ishin posted:

Please give in to your choking urges Spre!

https://twitter.com/Al_Iannazzone/status/830879894615818241

heh

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm really confused because some Blazers fans are defending the Crabbe signing as "we are small market so gotta pay to keep talent" and then immediately say "well Plumlee was gone at the end of the year anyway"

And then they also say that Turner isn't that bad. He's an asset and if you have a collection of picks you can trade any contract. So, instead of just not signing Turner and maybe keeping Plumlee, they can trade Plumlee for a first round pick which they can throw in to get someone to take Turner's deal????

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
One blazers fan here defended the evan turner signing , homerism is a strong drug

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

every 90s knick should start showing up at games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/danecarbaugh/status/830864126331101185

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm really confused because some Blazers fans are defending the Crabbe signing as "we are small market so gotta pay to keep talent" and then immediately say "well Plumlee was gone at the end of the year anyway"

And then they also say that Turner isn't that bad. He's an asset and if you have a collection of picks you can trade any contract. So, instead of just not signing Turner and maybe keeping Plumlee, they can trade Plumlee for a first round pick which they can throw in to get someone to take Turner's deal????

For what it's worth, I definitely wasn't one of those fans defending that Crabbe match. And I'd love for us to have not overpaid Turner but that ship has sailed and options are pretty limited now.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

every 90s knick should start showing up at games.

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/830881295534215168

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

oh lord

wonder how much they were paid

de curry GOAT fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 12, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

inx posted:

oh lord

wonder how much they were paid

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Holy poo poo the Knicks are a clown show

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder what other moves Portland is gonna make. two of their three picks are likely mid round picks, and Portland's will probably land in the lottery. I can see them trying to move Crabbe for a player who isn't as cost prohibitive, or maybe Aminu?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

It does feel like a bit of a tank by Portland now, especially since Denver is the biggest competition for the 8 seed and they clearly became better with Plumlee. The 3 first rounders is fine if they want to pair them with players and make a trade for someone that will actually help the team now.

If the plan is to use the draft picks and build for the future you probably won't be competitive for 3-4 years and by that time Lillard will be 30 and McCollum will be 29. Not over the top by any means but the window for competing will be small.

It just feels like it's a story us Blazers fans have heard a lot over the last decade or so. A lot of young talent on the team that never really goes anywhere.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

If they're bad enough Portland could wind up with like Isaac and Rabb which would help them immensely

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

The Blazers fanbase (not all of the Blazers fans here of course) is known for overrating all of their players. Even more than the Knicks. Travis Outlaw is going to be amazing. Rudy Fernandez is a future all star etc. Plumlee is off the team so he immediately loses that shine.

edit:
Hey Durant got to eat at the restaurant his agent pretended he didn't want to go to.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18668072/oklahoma-city-restaurant-says-no-kevin-durant-request

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 12, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The Blazers are such a weird team right now. I have zero read on how any of their guys would be with a change of scenery.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Spacebump posted:

The Blazers fanbase (not all of the Blazers fans here of course) is known for overrating all of their players. Even more than the Knicks. Travis Outlaw is going to be amazing. Rudy Fernandez is a future all star etc. Plumlee is off the team so he immediately loses that shine.

When Rudy had it going he was awesome

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Did people get too caught up in the memes and fail to recognize that the Plumlee and Zeller names are no longer the jokes that they used to be

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

The Blazers fanbase (not all of the Blazers fans here of course) is known for overrating all of their players. Even more than the Knicks. Travis Outlaw is going to be amazing. Rudy Fernandez is a future all star etc. Plumlee is off the team so he immediately loses that shine

Except Portland didn't like him while he was here? Brolic is massively overrating him. He is a good passer, except that skill is extremely hampered by the fact that he can't shoot *at all*, so the only time his passing is really valuable is in transition when the defense isn't set. He's a liability on offense, I don't see any way to sugar coat it. So while he's passable (not good, but passable) defensively and on the boards, he's not some valuable piece.

If he could hit a midrange jumper then he would be like a solid starter ala Robin Lopez.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Papercut posted:

Except Portland didn't like him while he was here? Brolic is massively overrating him. He is a good passer, except that skill is extremely hampered by the fact that he can't shoot *at all*, so the only time his passing is really valuable is in transition when the defense isn't set. He's a liability on offense, I don't see any way to sugar coat it. So while he's passable (not good, but passable) defensively and on the boards, he's not some valuable piece.

If he could hit a midrange jumper then he would be like a solid starter ala Robin Lopez.

Stats seem to smile a lot more on Plumlee on both ends vs Lopez. I'd rather have him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Papercut posted:

I've got some news for you about your new center.
https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/830882399814758400

I guess the draft pick is probably the more valuable part of this trade for Portland. I really expect them to make another trade involving a pick or two before the deadline.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

a plumlee by any other name would smell much sweeter

e:

Papercut posted:

A center doesn't need to do anything more than pass, set screens, and dunk the loving ball. Tyson Chandler, Deandre Jordan etc... the list goes on. Plumlee's a bit worse at the rim rocking element, but he sets great screens and is a better passer. I think he's a net-neutral offensive player, but he's a fantastic defender and probably the only good guy on the Blazers other than Aminu. I think you all are underrating him tbh, despite how much I've made fun of him in the past. Rates out really well in WS/BPM too.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I see so much "BLAZER FANS SAY THIS ONE CRAZY THING(on this other site where almost all posters are idiots)."

Blazer fans here are pretty chill.

edit: okay, they were bad during the ROY/ODEN/ALDRIDGE era, but that was so long ago at this point.
Ya, i think everyone itt is fine (except the guy who thought the evan turner signing was good), it's just a funny NBA meme because blazers fans in general are loving insane and are the arsenal fans of basketball.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 12, 2017

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I see so much "BLAZER FANS SAY THIS ONE CRAZY THING(on this other site where almost all posters are idiots)."

Blazer fans here are pretty chill.

edit: okay, they were bad during the ROY/ODEN/ALDRIDGE era, but that was so long ago at this point.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

honestly, I love every single minute of Thibs effortlessly and repeatedly owning the bulls with his Young and Athletic roster

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Kinda bummed about losing the Memphis pick but Nurkic has been a sulking pile of trash on the bench so the front office was probably over a barrel somewhat. 48 minutes of point center SSOL? gently caress it, we have half a season left of Plumlee's contract and a tenuous grasp on the 8th seed. Let's get weird.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/830891844674297857

not a stunt, nope

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm sad to see Mason go. He's a solid starting center and I think the team is definitely going to be worse without him this season. I would've liked to have re-signed him too next summer if the price was reasonable.

But the team wasn't winning and the center position is one big reason why and it also happens to be the easiest to try to fix right now.

Edit: I'm not sure how Plumlee is going to work next to Jokic. It seems like a weird pairing

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 12, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

with the amount of cap space and no one to spend it on that the bad teams in the league have, I think we're back to late first round picks being overvalued. Plumlee on 4 year big deal is literally better than any player that will be available. I think the idea of picks (flexibility, choice) is better than the outcome 90% of the time.

Of course, teams that have invested in scouting infrastructure and an amazing front office can identify late-first, second round talent. The Nuggets, Spurs, Rockets, Warriors, and Thunder are all good examples, so they may have a bit of an asterisk on that, but for the rest of the teams are going to pick loving garbage. The seductive idea of the guy from the second round of each draft that's inevitably really loving good is only seductive because he's passed on by 30 teams on the first go round. Having another bullet in the chamber helps, but if you can't identify who will be good, it's a much better strategy to acquire currently good NBA players.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Those late first rounders are gold in Morey's hands

smithers
Jun 18, 2013

Papercut posted:

This is pretty much how I feel about Mason as well. He's a good player, and the type of player you want on your team because he plays with energy and is a team player, but he is not a good offensive player. His biggest issue is his inability to finish at the rim. Teams started trapping Lillard/McCollum hard whenever he was the screener and force him to beat them in space. He earned his rep as a good passer in these situations, but he never showed the ability to take one dribble and finish strong when given space.

I'm sad to see him go, but given the hole the front office put themselves in with this past offseason I think this is a good move. Paying the tax with this team was never gonna fly, and it's clear we needed to gain some of our flexibility back.

The roster is not in a good spot still, but I'm encouraged that this at least seems to be an admission of that fact instead of doubling down on the mistakes they've already made.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://instagram.com/p/BQZX8hUg-gW/

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Ariza was +44 in the Rockets 31 point blowout of the Suns last night. That's the highest I've seen +/- go

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:gbsmith:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
wonder what favors dolan did for spree to get him to the game today

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Good trade for Denver IMO. Nurkic was obviously a malcontent, and he needed to go for his sake and the team's.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

A center doesn't need to do anything more than pass, set screens, and dunk the loving ball. Tyson Chandler, Deandre Jordan etc... the list goes on. Plumlee's a bit worse at the rim rocking element, but he sets great screens and is a better passer. I think he's a net-neutral offensive player, but he's a fantastic defender and probably the only good guy on the Blazers other than Aminu. I think you all are underrating him tbh, despite how much I've made fun of him in the past. Rates out really well in WS/BPM too.

He's multiple leagues removed from those guys defensively. A center doesn't need to be able to shoot if he can make up for it with defense, rebounding, and finishing around the rim. He doesn't, really, or at least not in a way that he's anything but a marginal starter on a marginal playoff team, at best.

Blazers are trash this year anyway obviously so it doesn't really matter. Yeah you probably want him over those Crabbe or Turner contacts, but it's not like if you subtracted those guys from the team this year in order to save room for Plumlee in the future, it would make this team any better. Unless you expect a big development jump from him, he wasn't going to make the team significantly better in the next few years.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

man will stan for you dolan,, get me on the payroll blud!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

everyone needs to Relax demselves and recognize that under dolans Able Stewardship the New York knicks are the most valuable basketball club Period. Check the Forbes list don't take my word for it. Also charles is mashed Up and needs Help for his problems

• Locked thread