Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving poo poo news about the NBN never fails to send me into a frothing rage every time

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...1fe154a1bb0eb21

"AUSSIES are just not ready for super-fast broadband and would not use it “even if we offered it for free”, the head of the National Broadband Network has claimed.
NBN Co chief executive Bill Morrow made the comments at the company’s half-yearly results on Thursday, and also revealed Australians couldn’t even access the system’s fastest speed of 1 gigabit per second.
According toThe Courier Mail, Mr Morrow said there wasn’t “that big of a demand out there” for it, and overseas providers found consumers weren’t making the most of high-speed downloads.
“Even if we offered it for free, we see the evidence around the world that they wouldn’t use it anyway,” Mr Morrow said.

He said things like augmented reality or artificial intelligence could drive demand but no spike had been seen yet.He also revealed two NBN retail service providers trialled super-fast speeds but decided not to offer it.
At the moment the highest speed offered is 100 megabits per second, despite the NBN spruiking speeds of 1 gigabit per second since 2013. Customers can choose from many different service providers, but a plan with Telstra would cost households $95 per month.Accessing even faster speeds would cost significantly more than that.According to the latest State of the Internet report from Akamai, Australia is currently ranked 51 in the world when it comes to internet speeds, with an average speed of 8.5 Mbps."

:psyboom: Words just loving fail me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was just thinking, it's not the worst timeline yet.

It could have been an Abbott/Trump meeting.

An Abbott/Trump meeting would be interesting, since Abbott absolutely hates Putin

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Scarecow posted:

Holy loving poo poo news about the NBN never fails to send me into a frothing rage every time

:psyboom: Words just loving fail me every time

Turns out that they are slowly and quietly putting more and more fibre to the kerb in, but in any construction thats already been announced, you are pretty much hosed. If nothing has been announced for your area yet, you may still get something resembling a decent internet connection. Still going to be using copper for the last stretch, but its better than whatever shite they are peddling now.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Turns out that they are slowly and quietly putting more and more fibre to the kerb in, but in any construction thats already been announced, you are pretty much hosed. If nothing has been announced for your area yet, you may still get something resembling a decent internet connection. Still going to be using copper for the last stretch, but its better than whatever shite they are peddling now.

I wonder what they'd do if that last little bit of copper was mysteriously stolen or destroyed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Replace it.

They have bought millions of km of brand new copper cable for remediation works for the nbn. Don't you dare call it ideological though, it's infrastructure of the 20th21st century we are installing here

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

so with the fires in nsw are murdoch's rags running stories about how amazing tony abbott is because he's a VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Periphery posted:

I wonder what they'd do if that last little bit of copper was mysteriously stolen or destroyed.

Honestly not too sure. Would depend on whether or not they considered the copper that runs from the kerb to the house the property of the utility or not.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

NPR Journalizard posted:

Honestly not too sure. Would depend on whether or not they considered the copper that runs from the kerb to the house the property of the utility or not.

Telstra owns (owned?) the lead in, up until the first termination inside the property line. On older houses it's the Telstra branded socket, newer ones it's a box on the outer wall.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

steve ciobo points out actually it's the greens that are the bad guys, not one nation

qld preference deal inbound

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BBJoey posted:

steve ciobo points out actually it's the greens that are the bad guys, not one nation

qld preference deal inbound

"one of the most, if not the most extreme political party in modern Australian politics"

fuckin lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

extremist policies such as 'let's not torture refugees' and 'the heatwave is bad, actually'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

extremist policies such as 'let's not torture refugees' and 'the heatwave is bad, actually'

If you aren't making refugee blood offerings on the sacrificial altar in the grand temple of coal that makes you a dangerous heretic extremist in the eyes of the current government.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Dude McAwesome posted:

so with the fires in nsw are murdoch's rags running stories about how amazing tony abbott is because he's a VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER?

Nope instead it's that rising emergy prices are putting pressure on the ALP (not the government for some reason)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Australia: We waste more money on pokies per person than most people waste on every type of gambling put together.

Couldn't stop advertising it though. That would be against free speech or the free market or something. (Other Adult industries, such as brothels, have extreme restrictions on advertising and location. Crown has a legal monopoly on table games, yet pokies are licensed all over.)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

economy stronk

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Taxi blockade in Melbourne today causing a little disruption.

Uber really highlights that if you're worth enough money "free market" governments will just ignore or legislate your crimes unless you're directly selling drugs or killing people.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rsl-pokie-punters-rewarded-for-gambling-up-to-300000-a-year-20170211-guanga.html

quote:

RSL pokie punters rewarded for gambling up to $300,000 a year

One of the largest RSL clubs in NSW is under fire for offering loyalty incentives to patrons who gamble up to $300,000 a year on its poker machines.

Chief executive at Dee Why, Grant Easterby, told Fairfax Media it was not up to the club to tell people how much money they could spend on pokies but said the club offered an on-site chaplain and a "robust" system of care, including a self-exclusion program for at-risk punters.

"Playing poker machines is a legitimate entertainment pursuit. For those people it causes an issue for we look after them but it is not our job to judge what a consumer pays for a product. If they enjoy it and they can afford it, that's their choice," he said.

According to its 2016 Annual Report, Dee Why RSL had income from poker machines of $42.5 million – up $4.5 million on the previous year. It gave $1.6 million to local charities and sporting groups.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Business columnist and analyst Adrian Wooldridge talks about a ‘cult’ of happiness, which he says is as damaging to future business performance as it is to the sanity of employees.

Happiness is unproductive, mistah speakah. We must terminate the possibility of workers being happy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Happiness is the natural result of good working conditions and fair remuneration. If you feel like you have to implement special happiness policies you're probably doing something wrong.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland in shock as 43,000 jobs vanish

MORE than 43,000 full-time employees – the equivalent of almost a capacity crowd at Suncorp Stadium – have vanished from the workforce in regional Queensland in the past year.

The sharp concentration of economic pain outside Greater Brisbane is highlighted by new trend analysis of regional labour force data.

And it reveals that even in areas away from the state capital where jobs are being created, full-time positions are increasingly being replaced by part-time jobs in a major switch in patterns of work.

Unemployment levels remain steady because thousands of people have given up looking for work.

The participation rate is falling twice as quickly in the regions, as people retire early, parents decide to stay home rather than pay for childcare and young folk remain in education rather than join the hunt for jobs in a weak market offering low wages.

The workforce was almost exactly evenly spread between Greater Brisbane and the rest of Queensland at the beginning of 2016. But more than 34,000 jobs were lost during the year – the vast majority from regional areas.

Net employment in the metropolitan area was down 5500 overall, year on year. While 18,900 part-time jobs went, full-time positions rose by 13,500.

Jobs in the rest of Queensland, however, were down 28,800 overall – with a massive 43,200 fall in full-time workers but a 14,300 lift in part-timers.

“The difference between Brisbane and the regions is really dramatic,’’ said Pete Faulkner, of north Queensland-based business consultants Conus, who did the modelling based on ABS data.

“Job security and diversity in the regions has suffered and people are leaving to take jobs where they can. While Queensland as a state is doing worse than the nation, this is largely due to the underperformance of regional Queensland.”

There had been a lot of talk of a two-speed economy, but the reality was far more complex, with big differences in performance across the state.

“It’s not so much a tale or two cities, but a dozen or so regions, each with its own individual story,’’ Mr Faulkner said.

The contrasting fortunes are starkly illustrated by north Queensland “neighbours’’ Cairns and Townsville.

Boosted by a boom in tourism, the Cairns economy and mood has turned around and jobs grew by 4800 last year, although the gains were almost entirely part-time. Townsville, on the other hand, continued four years of economic contraction. Job numbers plummeted 6300, including the 800 laid off by the closure of Clive Palmer’s Queensland Nickel refinery. The city now has Queensland’s highest unemployment rate – 11.8 per cent according to the Conus modelling – and youth joblessness of 28.3 per cent.

Wide Bay, which includes Bundaberg, Maryborough and Hervey Bay, also has unemployment above 10 per cent and more than a quarter of young people out of work.

Ashley Page, CEO of economics and finance consultants AEC Group, which analysed a series of demographic, labour force and economic data on the 12 major regional cities for The Courier-Mail, said despite population growth slowing in the past few years, lifestyle and tourism regions such as Cairns and the Sunshine and Gold Coasts were “holding up quite well, if not growing’’.

The Gold Coast is also benefiting from a big injection of infrastructure spending on light rail and venues ahead of next year’s Commonwealth Games, supporting construction.

“But some centres which were traditionally reliant on mining and resources and associated services (such as Gladstone, Mackay, Townsville) are still experiencing the effect of severe adjustments,” Mr Page said.

The impacts flowed into the construction industry, with less building approvals, and in to the residential and commercial property markets, with falling values and rents and rising vacancy rates, impacting consumer and business confidence.

Mr Page said this was exacerbated by “a skills drain’’ of people leaving those regions in search of work elsewhere, including across the border to New South Wales where big increases in public and private infrastructure spending was creating opportunities.

Real Estate Institute of Queensland figures show that over the past five years, house prices rose 12.5 per cent across Greater Brisbane, 16.5 per cent on the Gold Coast and 17 per cent on the Sunshine Coast.

But they tanked by about 20 per cent in Gladstone and Mackay, 10 per cent in Rockhampton and 8 per cent in Townsville. Anecdotal reports in Mackay suggest about 3000 houses are sitting empty.

“Much of regional Queensland is struggling,’’ REIQ chief executive Antonia Mercorella said.

“The feedback from agents on the ground is some fairly tragic stories ... family breakups, depression. It’s dire.’’

The Standard & Poor’s report on mortgage defaults last September said arrears in Queensland were up 29 per cent in a year, due to the regional economies, and are expected to increase again this year. Three of the 10 worst suburbs in Australia were in Mackay. There are signs of improvement in Mackay, however. A steep rise in the coal price over the past year has seen mines crank up production, re-employing staff and an increased demand for supplies and services.

Mr Faulkner said employment was up by 4000 in Mackay, mostly fulltime. “But you need to see that in the context of it having been really bad for the previous couple of years.”

Griffith University political scientist Dr Paul Williams said: “There is almost perfect correlation between the economic challenges and the rising One Nation vote.’’

A Galaxy poll for The Courier-Mail at the weekend revealed support for Pauline Hanson’s party has soared to 23 per cent of the primary vote, which could deliver it more than 20 seats at the next state election.

“The storm is coming. It looks unstoppable,” Dr Williams said.

CAN'T WAKE UP

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I hope one nation get into government in Queensland and west Australia as a demonstration to the parts of the country that matter of the kind of blighted hellscape that entails

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Brisbane strong, sunshine state. four x brewery go the broncos

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

MORE than 43,000 full-time employees – the equivalent of almost a capacity crowd at Suncorp Stadium

Hmmm how do we explain large numbers to these cavemen?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Not a standard unit of measurement, please convert to Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

ABOUT THE SIZE OF AN AUSTRALIA DAY BBQ AT SOUTHBANK MATE

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

Hey nerds cone to speakers corner if you are game!!

How did the Counter-Rally go? The media wasn't exactly positive.

BrisGoons get yo butts to the WARC Rally and March to Decriminalise Abortion this Thursday. I'll be there in spirit.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

There's already PHON candidates saying they won't honour the preference deal.

I don't see it working well for either party. It will piss off likely Liberal voters who aren't racists, and likely One Nation who hate Barnett (probably like 90% of them)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's good both parties are being made to look like the rank power grabbing opportunists that they are.

It's bad because it will probably deliver the libs yet another loving term over here during which they will privatise our power grid.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It still blows my mind that these preference deals actually make a difference. I can't even begin to understand the mindset of someone who fills out their ballot based on a how to vote card.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

It still blows my mind that these preference deals actually make a difference. I can't even begin to understand the mindset of someone who fills out their ballot based on a how to vote card.

Australians elected Tony Abbott, I mean we're not great on critical thinking here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Old ladies who think they know their local member personally because they send her newsletters in the mail.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

open24hours posted:

Honestly, when I vote outside a field I know well (such as in the Vic council elections, where I was voting in Melbourne City but volunteering in Port Phillip) I usually vote largely by HTV. That's just because I don't know the situation personally myself and my choices align with the Greens like 90% of the time anyway, and I can see that being true for plenty of others. Not everyone has time to form a reasoned opinion.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Kafka Syrup posted:

How did the Counter-Rally go? The media wasn't exactly positive.

BrisGoons get yo butts to the WARC Rally and March to Decriminalise Abortion this Thursday. I'll be there in spirit.

The WARC peeps are weird because the reaaaaaallyy don't like LGBTI people and seem to have TERFs

e: the rally was great, we didn't get a lot of people but the anti-abortion march brought in people from all over QLD, so that was weird. I want to start a grassroots campaign in my area to bring people's attention to Christian Rowan's anti abortion stance

E2: the anti abortion people were extremely aggressive towards us, it was insane

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 13, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What did they say about LGBT people?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Actually the SMH has an article (The one on the bottom of the front page) taking the Federal government to task for blaming the SA outages on renewables. Turns out they were all briefed that this was bollocks prior to making their public statements. It took a while but...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Liberal voters who aren't racists

Uhhhhhhhh?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Boat isn't a race mate

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe