Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the reason for the fails in the Prime and Physics benchmarks?

I've read that it's because those benchmarks heavily use AVX and Ryzen's AVX implementation is only "half width" (i.e. it processes AVX data in two 128-bit chunks whereas Intel's implementation can processes all 256-bits in one go) to save on transistors and power. Presumably that's something they'll address on the next generation Zen chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What are the implications of that in terms of real world home usage? (Mainly video games)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Literally nothing.

AVX is the kind of insane number crunching that causes Intel processors to heat up so much they actually have a lower "AVX turbo" clock rate that gets used instead of the normal turbo clocks when AVX instructions are in the pipeline.

e: This does not however mean Intel won't try to use AVX performance as a LOOK LOOK WE'RE BETTER STILL WE'RE BETTER STILL point

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 12, 2017

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Hang on, if the 1700 is 65w and the 1800X is 95w, wouldn't that make the 1700 better for overclocking since the 1800X will have a higher default clock rate but higher voltage (30w higher TDP), while the lower TDP of the 1700 will mean it has a lower stock voltage which gives it more room to overclock? Or am I being dumb and missing something?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Aesculus posted:

Hang on, if the 1700 is 65w and the 1800X is 95w, wouldn't that make the 1700 better for overclocking since the 1800X will have a higher default clock rate but higher voltage (30w higher TDP), while the lower TDP of the 1700 will mean it has a lower stock voltage which gives it more room to overclock? Or am I being dumb and missing something?

1800X is superbinned to get that 4.0Ghz turbo, it has to be 0.9v, which means the 1700X and 1700 actually run higher voltage otherwise AMD would make them 1800X for higher margin. They're probably not far behind but they're not hitting the TDP target and ohboy would they (maybe will, NEED REVIEWS) get pilloried for being out of spec. I also suspect a little rating fuckery, my suspicion is the 1700 will not turbo to 3.7Ghz on all cores and/or sits closer to 70W, but for marketing purposes it's labeled as 65W.

The 1800X will clock the best, you can be sure of that, and consume the least power. Doesn't mean others can't come close or catch it, just at a way higher power consumption.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sadly, these heatsinks appear to have caught the same goddamn disease as everything else in the market: RGBitis.

Musical accompaniment to the above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

That image is photoshoped, the original is:

Stolen from the internets

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

What are the implications of that in terms of real world home usage? (Mainly video games)

AFAIK practically no-one uses AVX in games, because it's too slow to be worth the trouble on the consoles gimpy Jaguar APUs.

Looking through the source code for UE4 the only place AVX gets used is in the cloth physics simulation, and Cryengine doesn't appear to use it anywhere.

eames
May 9, 2009

New leaks over at http://www.overclock.net/t/1623058/hwbattle-upcoming-cpu-coolers-from-amd including cooling classification and model numbers.

2x 4C/4T
2x 4C/8T
3x 6C/12T
4x 8C/16T

and another table posted on the last page of that thread

eames fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 12, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

AFAIK practically no-one uses AVX in games, because it's too slow to be worth the trouble on the consoles gimpy Jaguar APUs.
it's too slow to be worth the trouble on any current x86-64 core even, jaguar has full-fat floating point processing for its performance class as it's not sharing fpus like construction cores do and AVX is a great way to burn out your motherboard's VRMs even on the latest intel cores

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Meh, I'm not jumping up to 8 cores until I can do it for < $300

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's too slow to be worth the trouble on any current x86-64 core even, jaguar has full-fat floating point processing for its performance class as it's not sharing fpus like construction cores do and AVX is a great way to burn out your motherboard's VRMs even on the latest intel cores

I didn't believe you so I looked this up and it appears to be the Haswell generation which had the VRMs inside the CPU itself. Skylake and later reverted to having the VRMs back on the motherboard... so is this still a thing?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pryor on Fire posted:

At $370 the cheapest 8C/16T is still the most attractive out of them all. It's the 4C variants that are disappointingly priced since you can get the Intel equivalent for only $100 more for the past 6 years.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Palladium posted:

At $370 the cheapest 8C/16T is still the most attractive out of them all. It's the 4C variants that are disappointingly priced since you can get the Intel equivalent for only $100 more for the past 6 years.

Lol.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Based on that chart would the 1200x potentially be the best Ryzen CPU for a purely gaming PC as far as we can tell right now? Because Intel should get reamed in the gaming PC market if the 1200x performs comparably to Skylake and Kaby Lake i5s, yet sells for less than an i3. Hell even Haswell i5 level performance would probably be fine for most gamers since CPU demands are so low in most games today.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Palladium posted:

Half the price of a comparable intel CPU is actually a good deal

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

eames posted:

New leaks over at http://www.overclock.net/t/1623058/hwbattle-upcoming-cpu-coolers-from-amd including cooling classification and model numbers.

2x 4C/4T
2x 4C/8T
3x 6C/12T
4x 8C/16T

and another table posted on the last page of that thread

Apparently those prices include a 15% import tax on CPUs in China. Here's a chart where someone deducted that which should reflect US retail prices more closely:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 12, 2017

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Construction cores >.>

Palladium posted:

Please enlighten us on how a SKU half the price of the Intel equivalents is disappointing in any way. You're saying that a $100 Intel Tax is a completely negligible amount of money?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

I didn't believe you so I looked this up and it appears to be the Haswell generation which had the VRMs inside the CPU itself. Skylake and later reverted to having the VRMs back on the motherboard... so is this still a thing?
yep!

RyuHimora posted:

Please enlighten us on how a SKU half the price of the Intel equivalents is disappointing in any way. You're saying that a $100 Intel Tax is a completely negligible amount of money?
because everyone has a minimum of 2000 dollars to spend on a PC at any given time according to [h]ardocp

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 12, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

RyuHimora posted:

Imagine if AMD said in 2011: don't buy the 2500K/2600K, you can buy our slightly faster 4C for $100 less...but you just need to wait 6 years! Your time is worth nothing.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 12, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

imagine if there was a poster who was still living in 2011

you don't have to imagine now

Sashimi posted:

Based on that chart would the 1200x potentially be the best Ryzen CPU for a purely gaming PC as far as we can tell right now? Because Intel should get reamed in the gaming PC market if the 1200x performs comparably to Skylake and Kaby Lake i5s, yet sells for less than an i3. Hell even Haswell i5 level performance would probably be fine for most gamers since CPU demands are so low in most games today.
i'm guessing all of them aren't going to upclock very well, the real reason is average amount of cores per user and given that people on a desktop want to do more than one thing at a time these days, it's necessary at this point

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 12, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Palladium posted:

Imagine if AMD said in 2011: don't buy the 2500K/2600K, you can buy our slightly faster 4C for $100 less...but you just need to wait 6 years! Your time is worth nothing.

Half the cost of a 2500k plus hyperthreading and -35W tdp and better IPC is actually good

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Palladium posted:

Nobody should have bought cars, horses were the only game in town for thousands of years!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I didn't know Kyle Bennett had an SA account

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Even he needs a break from his poo poo forum at times.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Can't wait for the news of Palladium licensing bad trolling from PCOS Bill.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Sashimi posted:

Keeping in mind China's 15% import tax, It's probably better to get the R3 1400X or 1300. The 1200X has bad positioning, for 25-50$ more you get hyperthreading, for 25$ less you get the exact same solution with a B350.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/830756074126970880

*looks hungrily at used market* LOOKS LIKE HYPERTHREADING IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

that's a weird way to spell THREADRIPPING :byodood:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I know it's still a bit out; but once we're getting closer - is there anywhere I can preorder and expect to get this at launch? I'm chomping at the bit for a new build and the 8C/16T offerings are looking REALLY juicy.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Walked posted:

So I know it's still a bit out; but once we're getting closer - is there anywhere I can preorder and expect to get this at launch? I'm chomping at the bit for a new build and the 8C/16T offerings are looking REALLY juicy.

I expect preorders to open in about a week. Only time will tell though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

drat, son

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:worship:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

:allears:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

If only PNGs could be thread titles.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

FaustianQ posted:

If only PNGs could be thread titles.

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: RIP AND TEAR YOUR THREADS! YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE THREADS! RIP AND TEAR!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

spasticColon posted:

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: RIP AND TEAR YOUR THREADS! YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE THREADS! RIP AND TEAR!

Platfrom

Otherwise I like it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 13, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It will be interesting to see reviews on how their self-overclocking thing works on gaming with an average tower cooler, but the 1400X and 1600X look great on paper.
Clocks could be a few 100 MHz higher, but for a first revision not too shabby.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr.Radar posted:

Apparently those prices include a 15% import tax on CPUs in China. Here's a chart where someone deducted that which should reflect US retail prices more closely:

I will continue to state for the record that as long as that $500 number continues to show up for the top-end part, AMD is leaving money on the table.

That said, if that price continues to stay there, I may wind up buying two or three of the first 1800X off the line, use one, and hock the others, or use two, and hock the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

spasticColon posted:

Loses some of it's majesty but I like it!

sauer kraut posted:

It will be interesting to see reviews on how their self-overclocking thing works on gaming with an average tower cooler, but the 1400X and 1600X look great on paper.
Clocks could be a few 100 MHz higher, but for a first revision not too shabby.

Actually speaking of reviews, gonna be interesting to see two platforms represented in like, what, nearly 8 years?

• Locked thread