Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blood Lad is a pretty solid shounen series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ytlaya posted:

Blood Lad is a pretty solid shounen series.

It's OK. I read it all up to the latest chapters, and while the characters have a nice, post-Bleach design aesthetic to them, the plot feels kind of laid-back and low-stakes. To me it kind of dickers around a bit but doesn't do a great job of really raising the stakes or my personal feeling investment level in it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

post-Bleach design aesthetic

What in the gently caress

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

It's OK. I read it all up to the latest chapters, and while the characters have a nice, post-Bleach design aesthetic to them, the plot feels kind of laid-back and low-stakes. To me it kind of dickers around a bit but doesn't do a great job of really raising the stakes or my personal feeling investment level in it.

That's kinda why I enjoy it, though I can understand that being a subjective thing. The art is solid, fights are fun, and I like the characters. Given the level of other shounen fighting series, I'd rank it pretty high.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Cool edgy teens posing in stylish fashion!!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

HenryEx posted:

like post-punk but even worse

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Blood Lad is seinen

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RubberLuffy posted:

Blood Lad is seinen

Yeah, I just realized this while looking up which magazine the manga "Inari Konkon Koi Iroha" ran in (which turned out to be the same seinen magazine that Blood Lad runs in). Speaking of which, Inari Konkon Koi Iroha is a really nice series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kurohime is an old shounen I still like. The scans you'll find online are terrible at least for the early chapters, though. The art can also occasionally be comically bad, but I'll forgive it because gun witches are cool.

There is also Tripeace which is more on the seinen side.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If you were going to buy Jump this week for U19 I wouldn't bother.

The thing reads as someone's Pill Popping nightmare vision of Japan's nonsense (The P4 Kanji stuff, specifically) steeped in with the current US Political landscape and is about as subtle about it as I'm making it out to be.

FFS They have the bad guys running around with Nazi Armbands and would be a less obvious analogy if they screamed out "DOLF IS JUSTICE!" every panel.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 11, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you like Ancient Egypt and long monthly chapters a group finally got back to Imhotep and dropped all of volume 4.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/im-great-priest-imhotep-r14770

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 12, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I checked that out yesterday and this page is pretty great

The rest, eeehhhh...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Imhotep's really good and very character focused, compared to a lot of shonen. Each arc is more about establishing characters and their relationships and then evolving them over purely setting up action, which I like.

The longer format really aids in that because you have more space to work with before hitting the cliffhanger wall.

I definitely wouldn't put it over Ballroom, but it is better than Black Clover and I like all 3 very much.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't check out more than a couple chapters before calling it tbh, and i don't care for Black Clover either, but i'll give it another shot tonight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also Big Titty Cleopatra.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Also Big Titty Cleopatra.

Always a bonus.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

The thing reads as someone's Pill Popping nightmare vision of Japan's nonsense (The P4 Kanji stuff, specifically) steeped in with the current US Political landscape and is about as subtle about it as I'm making it out to be.

FFS They have the bad guys running around with Nazi Armbands and would be a less obvious analogy if they screamed out "DOLF IS JUSTICE!" every panel.

I haven't read U19 yet, but I did buy the issue because this week's MHA and OP were so loving good I had to have them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Fair enough. Honestly though if this is the best Jump has for its newcommers then they are in some deep poo poo.

That romcom was just aggressively ok at best.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ConanThe3rd posted:

Fair enough. Honestly though if this is the best Jump has for its newcommers then they are in some deep poo poo.

That romcom was just aggressively ok at best.

Is Jagaaaaaan one of the SJ newcomers? It seems like it could be alright. Felt more Seinen-y though, but so does Promised Neverland and I've been enjoying that a bunch.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Naw, that Gekiga-pretender poo poo is certainly not Jump.

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also, libido powers. :what:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So on a whim I read some of that AKB49 manga, about a guy who crossdresses and joins AKB48 to support his friend who wants to be an idol. I have never seen/read any sort of idol-related media before, so it's actually kinda fascinating and at times I found himself rooting for the main character to become the best cross-dressing idol. Unfortunately, I heard that (ending spoilers I read) at the end the guy retires to work at a convenience store, despite having previously ascended to being one of the top idols in the country in his cross-dressing persona. Really spoils the whole thing, since the whole appeal was the main character's career and not the "wanting to support his (super lame, worst girl) friend" stuff (and it had seemed to be heading towards some realization that he actually wants to continue working in the entertainment world). I don't see why they couldn't have had him go on to do some entertainment related job after retiring.

I wouldn't exactly say it's good, but it was still better than I expected. I think that it benefits from the fact that the main character spends the vast majority of the comic in his cross-dressing persona.

I also learned that apparently AKB idols not only can't date anyone, but they can't even be seen with any men, which is pretty hosed up and it always amazed me how the comic tried to portray this as some honorable matter of "not letting the fans down." Like, the protagonist's friend gets into a scandal because someone uncovered a photo of her with her dad. Is this something that started with AKB? The only idol group I was familiar with before them is Morning Musume, and I don't remember them having the same weird "pretending to be the fans' pseudo-girlfriends" angle.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's an AKB thing yeah. AKB basically illustrates the worst aspects of the idol industry, and is usually the one people think of first even though it's not really representative of the idol industry, due to having become big enough that it's essentially its own entity now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Allarion posted:

It's an AKB thing yeah. AKB basically illustrates the worst aspects of the idol industry, and is usually the one people think of first even though it's not really representative of the idol industry, due to having become big enough that it's essentially its own entity now.

How well are AKB members compensated? Do they at least make good money, or do only the absolute top of the top make the big bucks? Even though it would still be hosed up, at least there would be some silver lining if getting into AKB48 made you a ton of cash and helped with a future career in the entertainment industry, but the comic makes it seem like only the top ~10 members are really popular.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A quick foray into Google tells me top idols earn about (2014 data) 40-50 million yen per year (which is 350-430 thousand dollars or 330-410 thousand Euros), up from about 20 million yen in 2011. Not bad, but still literally peanuts compared to the huge amounts of cash the idol industry brings in.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Okay, sorry for the double post, but what in the actual gently caress is JAGAAAAAAAN supposed to be? :stare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

A quick foray into Google tells me top idols earn about (2014 data) 40-50 million yen per year (which is 350-430 thousand dollars or 330-410 thousand Euros), up from about 20 million yen in 2011. Not bad, but still literally peanuts compared to the huge amounts of cash the idol industry brings in.

What constitutes a "top idol" though? How much does the girl ranked 29th in AKB48 make (or the girls in AKB48's sister idol groups)?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm a top idol

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

What constitutes a "top idol" though? How much does the girl ranked 29th in AKB48 make (or the girls in AKB48's sister idol groups)?

The figures I found out (here, again - quick Googling, didn't verify them) have several AKB48 members in the top 20 (35+ million yen) range, and the top 3 which are outliers at 53, 59 and 68 million yen each are all AKB (or sister group) members. No idea about the low-tier idols though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I'm a top idol

Cool, where is your AMA thread?

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

Okay, sorry for the double post, but what in the actual gently caress is JAGAAAAAAAN supposed to be? :stare:

A Gantz wanna be? :shrug:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Seinen from all indications.

Not very good Seinen but it is what it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

The figures I found out (here, again - quick Googling, didn't verify them) have several AKB48 members in the top 20 (35+ million yen) range, and the top 3 which are outliers at 53, 59 and 68 million yen each are all AKB (or sister group) members. No idea about the low-tier idols though.

Hm, it seems like most of the AKB girls in that list (with a couple exceptions) are in the top ~15 or so. Which suggests to me that lower ranked AKB people probably do not make much better than a middle class salary (which doesn't seem worth it to effectively lose the ability to have any sort of love life and have to deal with a bunch of creepy idol otaku). I also read that they make 5000 yen per concert (and I think they do a lot of concerts, judging from that comic), but even if they did several concerts a week that isn't very good money on its own.

I guess that some people are desperate enough to become famous that they're willing to be exploited by these idol companies just for the small chance of becoming the next Atsuko Maeda or whatever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Promised Neverland continues to be really good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also, Demon's Plan and Amalgam got axed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fabricated posted:

No surprise there. At least we'll get some new blood. Eventually something will stick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Demon's Plan just had a really aimless feel to it. The fights and art during the fights were decent, but the plot just felt like "uh some dudes have powers and they need to fight each other I guess?" I also feel like it was a mistake to have his rival character just drop off the face of the Earth after the beginning of the manga, since he was the only real motivating factor behind the protagonist's actions. The protagonist's powers were also super boring; it was basically a manga with a less interesting Kirishima from MHA as the protagonist.

Same thing with Amalgam. I actually kinda like the premise of it, but it quickly lost any sort of direction (just turning into a vague "there are some bad guys out there" thing just like Demon's Plan). It's pretty bad if a manga becomes directionless just a few chapters into its run.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
more cancelled manga should be like invisible dragon and burn everything into ash all at once

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finally took a look at U19 and, as was already said, it's hot garbage.

How you do you write a story where the main motivation is just "GROWN UPS ARE SO MEAN!".

Far too on the nose, and poorly executed at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Fabricated posted:

Good.

Crain posted:

Finally took a look at U19 and, as was already said, it's hot garbage.

How you do you write a story where the main motivation is just "GROWN UPS ARE SO MEAN!".

Far too on the nose, and poorly executed at that.

We are kind of talking about a magazine targeted at teens. But yeah it's trash.