Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Why do Mr and Mrs dustin even bother going out to eat? To feed an inner sense of superiority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

sweeperbravo posted:

Why do Mr and Mrs dustin even bother going out to eat? To feed an inner sense of superiority?

I think Mrs. Dustin genuine enjoys it. Ed, however, can only feel enjoyment when reminding himself how much better his generation and opinions are than those loving millennials and their lazy ways.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Maslovo posted:

What's that thing below the belt on Dr.Zarkovs scrubs?

It's either a pug's head coming from his crotch or it's a glove he's holding in one hand.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

At this point I can only assume that Dustin's Dad actually likes the taste of waiters' spit and piss in his meals.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (February 15, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday (April 8 and 15, 1928)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Prince Valiant is turning into that one Calvin and Hobbes strip where there's a plane crash, train derailment, earthquake, and gas leak all centered on the same house

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dismas posted:

Prince Valiant is turning into that one Calvin and Hobbes strip where there's a plane crash, train derailment, earthquake, and gas leak all centered on the same house

"Val's eye twitches involuntarily."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set shows how tech jokes don't age well. (This was from 2006)

Working Daze is wait WHAT?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is wearing her down slowly.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

The dog's rear end says "G.O.P.".

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The theorem in question:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What does it do?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What does it do?
Suppose I line up a bunch of numbered balls in a row - say from 1 to 50, it doesn't matter how many - and then mix them up willy nilly and line them up. Then I add two new balls at the end - say, a red ball and a blue ball. Would it be possible (we might ask... for some reason) to switch two balls at a time, a finite number of times, each time using either the red or blue ball, and get the balls to be back in a row from 1 to 50 with only the red and blue ball interchanged? The theorem shows that the answer is yes no matter how badly the balls have been mixed up.

Incidentally the actual mechanism turns out to be unremarkable - note the appeal to routine verification. I suspect the writer just wanted to make sure the plot device in question worked (as you might if you're doing a permutation problem and you have a math degree) and no one had ever checked something like it. Still, pretty neat.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

e: VVV Oh, that explains it. Introduce two new people and sort everyone using those two to get everyone back to normal.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 13, 2017

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
That's the formula to get everyone's mind back to their right bodies. I read somewhere that a few mathematicians independently reviewed it, and it works out.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

SomeMathGuy posted:

Suppose I line up a bunch of numbered balls in a row - say from 1 to 50, it doesn't matter how many - and then mix them up willy nilly and line them up. Then I add two new balls at the end - say, a red ball and a blue ball. Would it be possible (we might ask... for some reason) to switch two balls at a time, a finite number of times, each time using either the red or blue ball, and get the balls to be back in a row from 1 to 50 with only the red and blue ball interchanged? The theorem shows that the answer is yes no matter how badly the balls have been mixed up.

Incidentally the actual mechanism turns out to be unremarkable - note the appeal to routine verification. I suspect the writer just wanted to make sure the plot device in question worked (as you might if you're doing a permutation problem and you have a math degree) and no one had ever checked something like it. Still, pretty neat.

Okay, but suppose you had four balls at the edge of a cliff?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pro-tip for Adventurer's Club members - upon arriving at an airport, don't get in the waiting car of anybody who doesn't know your name ahead of time.

Writer's Club pro-tip: if it doesn't make sense for a character to introduce themselves, just use a nameplate like Dethany from On The Fastrack does.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Esplanade posted:

Okay, but suppose you had four balls at the edge of a cliff?

The first ball becomes the second ball, and so on. Time works the same way.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hobnob posted:

Given the existence of Raine Dog, we should be relieved that the word "platonic" is included.
(I kid, I kid. PaHU is pretty great.)

I keep trying to forget about Raine Dog because of how Phoebe and Her Unicorn is actually legitimately good but augh people keep reminding me about it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Obviously this is a reference to something, but I have no idea and the only "Wally World" I can think of is from Vacation, and I... sorta doubt that's the reference that Gilchrist is making.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

catlord posted:

Obviously this is a reference to something, but I have no idea and the only "Wally World" I can think of is from Vacation, and I... sorta doubt that's the reference that Gilchrist is making.

It's white trash for Walmart.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

She's just using you, Phil!

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 13, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kazinsal posted:

I keep trying to forget about Raine Dog because of how Phoebe and Her Unicorn is actually legitimately good but augh people keep reminding me about it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You don't really live down stuff like Raine Dog or Loss. You can only do a good enough job in the future that the references become more of a good-natured ribbing than a constant reminder that the single most memorable moment of your artistic work was a laughing stock.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 15, 1994)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

You don't really live down stuff like Raine Dog or Loss. You can only do a good enough job in the future that the references become more of a good-natured ribbing than a constant reminder that the single most memorable moment of your artistic work was a laughing stock.

To be fair, having seen some of Dana Simpson's earlier work Raine Dog is more the exception rather than the rule (for example, her first webcomic Ozzie & Millie wasn't too bad as far as I can remember).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

how do you perforate only the middle section of a thrice-folded letter while other sections and the envelope are intact

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

how do you perforate only the middle section of a thrice-folded letter while other sections and the envelope are intact

I think the answer would be, inevitably, 'Unicorn!'.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Does anyone else feel like they are having a stroke when they read Arlo and Janis? I understand all the words and I get they are supposed to be a joke, but it's never quite there and I leave feeling moderately confused; unlike Chief Dharma where I either totally get it or totally don't.

"A lover brought them and insisted we eat them." Who talks like that? What lover, she has a lover now? I don't get it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 13, 2017

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Call an ambulance. You are probably having a stroke.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arlo likes chocolate cherries and is upset that Janis ate a box withouy saving any for him. Janis is aware of this and makes a deadpan joke about having a secret lover who brings her chocolate cherries, implying that Arlo would consider that less of a breach of trust than what she actually did.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I had no idea the Phoebe and the Unicorn person was also the bestiality & pedophilia super combo pack person. I dunno how to feel anymore.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Arlo and Janis is consistently good. I love it.

I've been reading Baldo for like two years now and I really dislike it. There's one strip where the dad puts a sign on the front lawn that says something like "My daughter reads books and is smarter and better than your loving illiterate spawn" or something like that, I'm paraphrasing.

There was no joke or anything, it was just that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Arlo likes chocolate cherries and is upset that Janis ate a box withouy saving any for him. Janis is aware of this and makes a deadpan joke about having a secret lover who brings her chocolate cherries, implying that Arlo would consider that less of a breach of trust than what she actually did.

Oh... So it's just not funny. OK, that I understand.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Quite probably my favorite C&H strip.

Ripley's

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I think the answer would be, inevitably, 'Unicorn!'.

Yeah a unicorn is like a wizard but more fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kazinsal posted:

It's white trash for Walmart.
Really? I thought it was the Vacation thing, which really isn't so far-fetched with Gilchrist. Never heard of that for Wal-Mart.
Didn't he just do this bit for a week, or was that a different lovely comic?

F Minus

Thanks, Supreme Court's Kelo vs New London decision.

Mary Worth

"I need to sneeze and can't and then I lost control of my white-out!"

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent C-9

Yes! Card catalog action!

Apartment 3-G

"I just don't think I can party on anymore."

• Locked thread