Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I figured fish sauce is a recommendation for folk who would otherwise balk at the notion of adding actual MSG to their home cooked food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

I figured fish sauce is a recommendation for folk who would otherwise balk at the notion of adding actual MSG to their home cooked food.

Well, fish sauce has it's own flavor as well. Good old MSG is fine too, but you won't get that same... I dunno how to describe it in food terms. Like a whole, round flavor?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I use soy sauce for this. You get the umami/MSG, as well as the dark, rich, round flavor. Don't use too much, and you gotta cook it for a little while after to cook out the sharpness.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I cook with it in Asian foods and use a lot of it because I think that flavor makes sense there. But I wouldn't use anywhere near that much in chili or ragu.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ranter posted:

I cook with it in Asian foods and use a lot of it because I think that flavor makes sense there. But I wouldn't use anywhere near that much in chili or ragu.
When lumped in with other flavors, fish sauce totally loses it's asian-ness and just makes anything more "meaty" tasting. I use it all the time in very non-asian dishes like chili, gravy, pan sauces, braises; it's fantastic.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone got some kenji-esque testing that shows fish sauce is doing something different than MSG? If you're not using enough to bring out the fishy taste then I feel like you're just getting the glutamate boost, which MSG would also take care of.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2017

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ranter posted:

Anyone got some kenji-esque testing that shows fish sauce is doing something different than MSG? If you're not using enough to bring out the fishy taste then I feel like you're just getting the glutamate boost, which MSG would also take care of.
I just did a really scientific test where I dumped in fish sauce and it tasted good.

I do remember this article where different chefs spoke to how they used it.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely an amateur so just trying to learn and improve. I'll definitely add salt at the beginning and season as I go. Will also try the fish sauce. Any recommendations for sugar? Should I just add some brown sugar at the beginning? Any recommendation on proportions? Thanks!

Edit: sauce not oil fixed!

Homers BBBq fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 9, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Homers BBBq posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely an amateur so just trying to learn and improve. I'll definitely add salt at the beginning and season as I go. Will also try the fish oil. Any recommendations for sugar? Should I just add some brown sugar at the beginning? Any recommendation on proportions? Thanks!

Fish sauce, not fish oil! The two are very different, and I'm guessing you'd regret putting fish oil in your chili.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ranter posted:

I'd only put a little in a chili or ragu, but it works. For similar reasons why so many beef stews have anchovies in it, or beef dishes have anchovies in the sauce. Otherwise balsamic vinegar and a bit of sugar could give a boost as suggested.

E: I think it does different things to MSG. Like say for example I love the indo-foods mi goreng ramen/instant noodles popular in Australia. I tried to replicated the "bumbu" with various powders (onion, garlic, herbs) and msg but could never get close. I chucked in some fish sauce and wow. Probably not in the ingredients but now I can make it with stuff laying around the house or make a rice version nasi goreng with no effort.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 9, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Homers BBBq posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely an amateur so just trying to learn and improve. I'll definitely add salt at the beginning and season as I go. Will also try the fish sauce. Any recommendations for sugar? Should I just add some brown sugar at the beginning? Any recommendation on proportions? Thanks!

Edit: sauce not oil fixed!

chili does not need sugar :bahgawd:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

chili does not need sugar :bahgawd:

Agreed. Use sweeter peppers like red jalapenos or fresnos or if you go crazy even red bell pepper. You could caramelize the onion a bit after you brown the meat and before adding everything else. You could even caramelize some tomato paste early on. Even "sweet" paprika wouldn't be as out of place as sugar.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fo3 posted:

E: I think it does different things to MSG. Like say for example I love the indo-foods mi goreng ramen/instant noodles popular in Australia. I tried to replicated the "bumbu" with various powders (onion, garlic, herbs) and msg but could never get close. I chucked in some fish sauce and wow. Probably not in the ingredients but now I can make it with stuff laying around the house or make a rice version nasi goreng with no effort.

There's fish sauce in the instant mi goreng packets? TIL.

edit: whoops I cannot read. You're saying it's not in the ingredients, but you're only able to replicate a sauce that doesn't have fish sauce with fish sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The only thing the CDC has on MSG is as an inactive ingredient in vaccines. And then there's MSGMYTH.ORG, which is just a beautiful and professionally designed website and forums warning us, the public, about the dangers off MSG and how it causes ADHD, Fibromyalgia, Autisim, Weight Gain totally unrelated to the amount of food you shove in your mouth, and every other modern complaint.

While I agree eating a ton of processed foods is probably bad for you, adding some MSG or fish sauce or seaweed to your food will probably not be the first thing to kill you. Maybe worry about the disturbing amount of delicious meat and peppers you've just shoved in your gut. It's a sometimes food!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's a sometimes food!

gently caress that

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

gently caress that

Look man, we're here for you. We're not saying stop eating all the chili. We're just going to leave this small plate of delicious lentils and spinach right here. Not IN the chili, that would be wrong, but just next to it. Like a chili friend. Dosn't chili deserve friends?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Honey is good if you season heavily before it boils down and gets too spicy for the other people eating it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ranter posted:

There's fish sauce in the instant mi goreng packets? TIL.

edit: whoops I cannot read. You're saying it's not in the ingredients, but you're only able to replicate a sauce that doesn't have fish sauce with fish sauce.

I'm saying it makes it better.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dosn't chili deserve friends?

Yeah they're called fritos, green onions and sour cream.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah they're called fritos, green onions and sour cream.

Chili can have different circles of friends. Dont pidgeon-hole chili.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Chili can have different circles of friends. Dont pidgeon-hole chili.

I made a shepherd's pie with chili once. It was amazing.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

gently caress that

I entered a chili cookoff happening next month and I have 3 planned test cooks before then and who knows how many times I'm going to just make a midweek chili to get my flavors right. Chili is an always food.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I made a shepherd's pie with chili once. It was amazing.

... That could work. Ooh. I have all sorts of dirty and dangerous ideas now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a chili cookoff at work soon and I would like to win. I'd call myself a chili enthusiast though not a connoisseur; I make it regularly and have three basic recipes I use.

Recipe #1: generic betty crocker style, ground beef, tomatoes and beans. I usually use a mix of NM and ancho chilis plus a lot of cumin, usually a few fresh peppers as well. Kids and guests love it a lot. I've been making this regularly since I was in college so...15 years or so?

Recipe #2: something very similar to this, a meat-and-chili-only con carne. I love this one; it is my wife's favorite. I usually leave the chunks of chuck fairly large (mouthful size, maybe 1" cubed). Flavors are generally great but it can get greasy quickly (I leave out the bacon and trim the chuck as well as I can, but still gets greasy). Usually use masa as a thickener for the gravy. I've been making this for a long time also.

Recipe #3: Something very similar to this; solid cuts of meat, with tomato, and a huge blend of spices. I just started messing around with this recently; I use fantastic cubed tri tip from a local mexican meat market that cuts it for you into cubes maybe 3/8" (for carne asada applications I assume). I have not yet done it with the apparently magical chimayo chilis; usually use mix of Gebhart, NM and cali for the main powder and then arbol for the heat.

So, I've never entered a chili competition before but I have done quite a few beer and BBQ contests. In both of those disciplines, there is a clear difference between "competition" beer/BBQ and the stuff you make for actual eating/drinking. I'm assuming chili is the same way - you have a spoonful or two to impress the judges, so it is important to get as much flavor as possible into said spoonful. My audience are not chili connoisseurs either, but they are going to be mostly hard old dudes who love their meat and can handle spicy.

So, any suggestions about how I should go about it? My wife insists I should go with the "big chunks of meat", but I'm torn...I love the small tri tip, and it certainly looks more like what people think chili looks like. I'm leaning towards the small cubes plus tomatoes approach, but I feel like I need to ramp up the flavor some. Or, I could maximize the betty crocker approach and try and tap into the "mom's chili" emotions. Any suggestions/thoughts/etc?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

... That could work. Ooh. I have all sorts of dirty and dangerous ideas now.
Chili pie, in blue cornmeal

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bewbies posted:

I have a chili cookoff at work soon and I would like to win. I'd call myself a chili enthusiast though not a connoisseur; I make it regularly and have three basic recipes I use.

Recipe #1: generic betty crocker style, ground beef, tomatoes and beans. I usually use a mix of NM and ancho chilis plus a lot of cumin, usually a few fresh peppers as well. Kids and guests love it a lot. I've been making this regularly since I was in college so...15 years or so?

Recipe #2: something very similar to this, a meat-and-chili-only con carne. I love this one; it is my wife's favorite. I usually leave the chunks of chuck fairly large (mouthful size, maybe 1" cubed). Flavors are generally great but it can get greasy quickly (I leave out the bacon and trim the chuck as well as I can, but still gets greasy). Usually use masa as a thickener for the gravy. I've been making this for a long time also.

Recipe #3: Something very similar to this; solid cuts of meat, with tomato, and a huge blend of spices. I just started messing around with this recently; I use fantastic cubed tri tip from a local mexican meat market that cuts it for you into cubes maybe 3/8" (for carne asada applications I assume). I have not yet done it with the apparently magical chimayo chilis; usually use mix of Gebhart, NM and cali for the main powder and then arbol for the heat.

So, I've never entered a chili competition before but I have done quite a few beer and BBQ contests. In both of those disciplines, there is a clear difference between "competition" beer/BBQ and the stuff you make for actual eating/drinking. I'm assuming chili is the same way - you have a spoonful or two to impress the judges, so it is important to get as much flavor as possible into said spoonful. My audience are not chili connoisseurs either, but they are going to be mostly hard old dudes who love their meat and can handle spicy.

So, any suggestions about how I should go about it? My wife insists I should go with the "big chunks of meat", but I'm torn...I love the small tri tip, and it certainly looks more like what people think chili looks like. I'm leaning towards the small cubes plus tomatoes approach, but I feel like I need to ramp up the flavor some. Or, I could maximize the betty crocker approach and try and tap into the "mom's chili" emotions. Any suggestions/thoughts/etc?

You should make what you want to eat.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
When in doubt go full Paula Deen :btroll:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I attribute my work chili cook off win to:

making beef broth from scratch
making my own chili paste
chipotles in adobo sauce
MSG

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

I attribute my work chili cook off win to:

making beef broth from scratch
making my own chili paste
chipotles in adobo sauce
MSG

From the sounds of it, you should also be attributing it to having coworkers who like good chili, instead of giving the win to the tomato and bean soup like most workplace chili cookoffs.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Elevate the competition then and cook what you want to eat. Just call it spicy so people think they have balls.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So after 6 batches here's where I'm at with "competition chili":

3 lbs tri tip cut into ~1/2-1" cubes, or sirloin cut into 1/4" cubes by the butcher (wife prefers the former, the latter is more traditional chili-like)
1 medium white onion (diced)
2 cloves minced garlic
15 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
10 oz can Old El Paso enchilada sauce
Small can (not sure of size), chipotle adobo salsa
Chicken broth

chili New Mexico Hot
chili New Mexico mild
chili Chimayo
chili pasilla
chili arbol
Gebhardt chili powder
dried onion
mexican oregano
fish sauce

Sweat onions in olive oil, add garlic after a bit and cook a few more mins
Add tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, and ~12 oz of broth
Add 3 tsp New Mexico Mild, 1 tsp Gebhardt, 1 tsp New Mexico Hot, 1 tsp Chimayo, 1 tsp chili pasilla, 1 tsp oregano, tsbp dried onion, 2 tsp fish sauce
Bring to boil, cover, then simmer 45 mins-1hr
Brown beef in batches, dust with Gebhardt while cooking, make sure you have several pieces with good mallards on them. Drain throughly
Add beef to gravy, mix thoroughly
Add 1 tsp New Mexico Mild, 1 tsp Chimayo, chili arbol to heat preference (start with 1/2 tsp, make it slightly hotter than you want finished product to be), salt to salt preference.
Bring to boil, simmer partially covered ~4 hrs
edit -forgot last step: last 20 mins or so, add 1-2 tsp of ground cumin, 1-2 tsp of white vinegar (to taste), adjust heat more with arbol or cayenne)

any thoughts on how to improve on this?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 24, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you find that those relatively lean cuts aren't overcooked by the end?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bewbies posted:

use stew meat instead of lean steak.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

bewbies posted:

MSG. Beer. Home made stock.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

do you find that those relatively lean cuts aren't overcooked by the end?

Actually no, and I think that this is one area I disagree with the thread on. I've done it with both chuck roast and with adding chorizo to tri tip, both made it very greasy, to the point where it was pooling on top of the gravy and coating the inside of the bowl. Top sirloin can get a little grainy but I like the firmer texture assuming the pieces are cut small enough (it'd be bad if they were much larger than 1/2"); tri tip to me is just about the perfect balance between tenderness and firmness without adding much grease.

I've tried MSG and I think I prefer fish sauce or dark soy sauce; I'll give beer a try though (it seems dark/malty is the way to go?). Just pour in 12 oz I assume?

Here's this afternoon's effort:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How much MSG were you adding to think 2 teaspoons of fish sauce is comparable?

Doesn't have to be dark/malty but it's fun to use a chocolate stout, or even a smoked beer like schlenkerla.

Making the broth/stock yourself is really night and day, too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gonna Nth the home made stock comment. Go with Alton Brown's recipe as a base and add/remove seasonings to suit your tastes. I am lazy so I skip the skimming during the simmer and just strain the fat solids off after cooling. I typically roast a chicken every week or two and save everything that isn't eaten and freeze it. Once I get to 3 frozen chicken carcasses, I make stock with that. I usually get around 2-3 gallons that I then freeze in 2 cup increments for easy use later. Best part is, if you added any spices to the chicken while roasting, it'll help flavor the stock. Last month, I made a beer can chicken that I had done up with barbecue dry rub, and the resulting stock from that was a golden amber color with the slightest hint of smokey barbecue sweetness, and it made some amazing risotto.

Do note, the recipe does not call for salt. Remember to add some to compensate while cooking with it.

EDIT: I don't cook with MSG, so I can't comment on how it tastes for this, but potentially, you could also use dashi. And yeah, definitely add a chocolate stout into the mix. It'll add a lovely bitter note.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 26, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you want to save freezer space and money, you could reduce your stock instead of leaving it at 3 massive gallons. My housemate fills our freezer with un-reduced stock and its so annoying. He even leaves the lid on the stock pot so there's almost zero reduction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just toss a bunch of beef bones inw ith your chilli imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Insta-Pots are amazing for creating stock.