Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Spammals into Spimpin'/Dogpilin' into Ice Beastin' out is your main line of spells, though you will need to throw investment into Ice Magic to make that possible. This is fine because it's a good elemental school for hybridizing. Spire when you have slots to spare. Your positioning game has to be on point and don't be afraid to drop chaff and book it to some stairs if things get dicey.

Alternatively if you want to be more than just a shepherd then you start training into your weapon skill of choice as soon as you can (usually polearms to reach past your meat wall) and wait longer for Summon Ice Beasts to come online; in that case you're grabbing Spire earlier or hoping for Charm spells. Other summons past Ice Beasts would be Summon Mana Vipers for spellcasters (including Orbs of Fire!) and then Monstrous Menagerie/Summon Hydra for beef. Hope you stumble on the spell Shadow Creatures because that will carry you through a 3-rune game but Hydra can do it too.

Guardian Golem is okay because it can Inner Flame itself once below half health, but it's still a roll of a dice you shouldn't rely on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Found Statue Form on my Naga Wizard with 1 rune. I tried it out in wizmode, and it just doesn't seem that good. Am I missing something? I would get ~7 more AC than Ozos in exchange for slow effect, 30% HP, etc. It seems like a big skill investment without much gain. Perhaps later in Vaults when XP is "cheaper" relatively?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
IIRC statue form supresses the scales mutation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's mostly there for the Unarmed Combat. Instead of the normal (3 + UC skill) base damage, it's now (6 + str / 3 + UC skill). This is additionally increased by 50%. Defense-wise, it halves Torment damage after rN calculation which Statue Form also gives a pip of.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

LordSloth posted:

IIRC statue form supresses the scales mutation.

It does, which is partly why it's somewhat disappointing on a Naga.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Statue form is really good, but nagas don't benefit from it as much as other characters. You lose any AC provided by your scales when you use it so the AC boost isn't as big.

Statue form's main benefit is the insane durability boost it provies. In addition to the AC, you get poison immunity, rElec, rN+, and a further 50% reduction to torment damage. You also get immunity to rot and sickness. This makes it particularly useful in extended. Even in the base game though, the AC and 30% HP boost are very noticeable. It also increases your melee damage dramatically, particularly with unarmed. Since you take all actions slower its not as high as you might think, but its still an improvement for most characters.

The characters that benefit the most from it are ones that are naturally poor at taking advantage of armour slots. Ogres are the perfect example; can't wear most armour, what they can wear gets reduced AC. Statue form makes them go from having poo poo defenses to suddenly having tons of AC on top of their massive HP pool. But pretty much any hybrid character can take advantage of it to varying degrees if you plan for it. I've even used it on spriggans. Sometimes its worth giving up action speed for insane defenses.

I maintain that the easiest way to do extended is to make a statue form character. You have way more leeway when it comes to torment and have natural immunity to annoying crap like miasma clouds.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Airstrike being in the AE book is a huuuuuge buff and now you can reliably kill things instead of watching them saunter up to you as your lightning bolts fly by them

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

brainwrinkle posted:

Found Statue Form on my Naga Wizard with 1 rune. I tried it out in wizmode, and it just doesn't seem that good. Am I missing something? I would get ~7 more AC than Ozos in exchange for slow effect, 30% HP, etc. It seems like a big skill investment without much gain. Perhaps later in Vaults when XP is "cheaper" relatively?

You're not missing anything. There are better uses for the xp on most characters.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think it's quite solid on unarmed characters, though I typically prefer blade hands or dragon form. It's nice for demonspawn with claws, though, and it makes tomb easy.

Aside from those cases, it's quite niche. Don't learn it if you make significant use of any form of ranged attacks.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Welp, run of depths was going well since I could get Malign Gateway online, but I died to eldritch tentacle because I tabbed enemies behind tentacles as cover and I got paralyzed by it thanks to turning indifferent a lot quicker than usual:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bananaken/morgue-bananaken-20170212-140738.txt

When the eldritch tentacle turns indifferent: can it actually hit you or does it have to be full blown hostile? I thought I could get away with dancing around it as long as it was at least indifferent but maybe I was wrong. Still, it was my first time using the spell and I'd probably do much better with it next time, just need to better understand the requirements for summoning it and positioning myself better so I avoid getting slapped. Kind of annoyed that I rolled a paralyze on the first hit the tentacle got on me though, it was pretty much the only thing that could kill me.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
16620688 worldfamousw the Demonic Barricade (level 27, 219/241 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Monk on Feb 11, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 12, 2017!

The game lasted 07:52:50 (94652 turns).
Finished a 15 runer on Trunk and played around with the new mutation potions a good bit. They are... ok.

I relied heavily on purple meat when I had a good mutation set and got malmutated. Had to cross fingers that the meat would move the bad muts and ignore the good ones. If I got real bad (teleport, berserk, two levels of scroll delay) I would just pop the potion. It basically was a full reset on the mutation set. If I got off worse just pop it again. I played most the game with decent mutations that changed out constantly and just a few bad ones. Not a horrible change.

Funnily enough I managed to get about 12 runes while keep one of my original mutations (dungeon sense) before finally losing it. It just kept getting passed up with all the rng getting thrown around.

I ended the game though as a horribly mutated bastard. By the time I was clearing Zot 5 I kind of stopped caring about malmutate and was just tab storming.

EDIT: Also the Abyss still sucks rear end, especially as a Qazlal worshiper. Looking at morgue file, I spend 11.5% of my turns in the Abyss and 15.8% of my kills were there. I spent less time and got less kills in the Dungeon's full 15 levels.

EDIT EDIT: One last thing on trunk changes (wands), holy poo poo did I miss Wand of Heal Wounds this game. I ran out of potions sometime around crossing over from the typical 5 rune game into extended and I Just. Couldn't. Find. ANY! I did all of Hell I think with maybe one. Haste was a luxury that I saved for the Lords themselves. Teleportation was fine. Scrolls of recharging were just kind of used when my digging was empty.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 12, 2017

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

apple posted:

Welp, run of depths was going well since I could get Malign Gateway online, but I died to eldritch tentacle because I tabbed enemies behind tentacles as cover and I got paralyzed by it thanks to turning indifferent a lot quicker than usual:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bananaken/morgue-bananaken-20170212-140738.txt

When the eldritch tentacle turns indifferent: can it actually hit you or does it have to be full blown hostile? I thought I could get away with dancing around it as long as it was at least indifferent but maybe I was wrong. Still, it was my first time using the spell and I'd probably do much better with it next time, just need to better understand the requirements for summoning it and positioning myself better so I avoid getting slapped. Kind of annoyed that I rolled a paralyze on the first hit the tentacle got on me though, it was pretty much the only thing that could kill me.

Sorry for getting you killed :(

I think it hits you if you are where it wants to move to. I don't think it actively seeks you out or anything. It's best to keep some distance from it.

apple
May 18, 2003

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Sorry for getting you killed :(

I think it hits you if you are where it wants to move to. I don't think it actively seeks you out or anything. It's best to keep some distance from it.

It's ok, eldritch tentacle was the right call! My XP was spread too thin so the +4 tloc apt was just enough to get a high level spell online, I also couldn't find a suitable weapon/armor combo to be more aggressive with melee. I'll just make sure to keep a safe distance once it's indifferent before it turns into eldritch tickle time again

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Bleh, lost a great Naga to Mennas on V:2 because I though I could burn him down with berserk. Overconfidence is the worst sin.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

brainwrinkle posted:

Bleh, lost a great Naga to Mennas on V:2 because I though I could burn him down with berserk. Overconfidence is the worst sin.

I was exploring some weird oven - like vault filled with fireclouds and magma gargs. I killed them and went inside after putting on rFire gear but reached impassible lava and turned around. I took one step toward the exit door and Mennas stepped inside blocking my only way out.

I escaped and died to a hornet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Decrepus posted:

I was exploring some weird oven - like vault filled with fireclouds and magma gargs. I killed them and went inside after putting on rFire gear but reached impassible lava and turned around. I took one step toward the exit door and Mennas stepped inside blocking my only way out.

I escaped and died to a hornet.

I made a thing for you decrepus:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

apple posted:

When the eldritch tentacle turns indifferent: can it actually hit you or does it have to be full blown hostile? I thought I could get away with dancing around it as long as it was at least indifferent but maybe I was wrong.
If it's anything like the indifferent monsters spawned by lugonu's corrupt, they won't seek you out but if you are in melee range they will actively choose to attack you, so keep at least a 1 tile gap.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I kind of want to try Qaz, what's a good combo for it?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Qaz is pretty broadly applicable to anyone who plans on wearing heavier armor and casting some spells. The two abilities scale well with invo.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

vOv posted:

Orc or Demonspawn warrior. You're loud as gently caress and really wanna be in melee most of the time to take advantage of your clouds, and the Disaster damage ramps up a lot with Invocation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I made a thing for you decrepus:

lol

I just started playing Qaz and got my first ever win using him. I did exactly that. :hellyeah:

apple
May 18, 2003

Well I wanted to be more of a hybrid but I guess now I'm a blaster mage *and* a hybrid

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

vOv posted:

Basically anyone can use Qazlal as long as you aren't planning on using stealth at all. Qazlal works best with characters that can fight relentlessly though. Vinestalkers are a good pick since their insane regen lets them recover from fights quickly and move onto whatever else has inevitably been attracted. You might want to avoid picking him with a poor invocations species though, as he is a very invocations heavy god. Scales all the way up to 27.

He also works well with ranged users since they can just shoot down whatever shows up at the edge of your LOS.

EDIT: Gonna be honest, I'm not really feeling Nemlex.

quote:

You draw a card... It is Degeneration.
The rakshasa evaporates and reforms as an Executioner!
The Executioner twists and deforms.
The Executioner gestures.
The Executioner seems to speed up.

Its like Xom-lite.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 12, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Neme is Xom except you also have dumbass inventory management. Worst god in the game.

apple
May 18, 2003

I kinda wish armor decisions were easier to make with hybrid characters; it's a big investment as it is to decide to level up strength (following that encumbrance = str rule of thumb), but I also need to know roughly how much armor skill I also need so that spell success chance isn't ruined. Is there "conventional wisdom" for these type of characters beyond matching encumbrance rating with strength, like the amount of armor skill you want?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I had a friend ask about this game and I had to recommend they stay away. It's a drat shame the devs let things like nemelex and malmutate stay in the game but remove things people like like high elves and skalds

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

fool_of_sound posted:

Neme is Xom except you also have dumbass inventory management. Worst god in the game.

Yeah regardless how this game ends I'm not touching Nem again without yet another rework. Juggling all these decks just isn't fun. I'm even trying to be a lot more liberal with my use of them and still have had to drop a bunch of items I'd rather keep carrying around.

EDIT: I'm halfway tempted to just ditch her and run easy mode TSO for extended.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 13, 2017

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ignition rules. Also vine stalkers are surprisingly fun to play, I kinda just assumed they were gimmicky and easy to splat characters.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//dyzzy/morgue-dyzzy-20170212-232928.txt

code:
2509006 dyzzy the Ruinous (level 27, 142/142 HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Assassin on Feb 12, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes!

The game lasted 04:37:13 (62984 turns).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Vine stalkers are like the only good race they're added in forever

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Darth Windu posted:

I had a friend ask about this game and I had to recommend they stay away. It's a drat shame the devs let things like nemelex and malmutate stay in the game but remove things people like like high elves and skalds

If someone tries to get Nem removed again I will loving cut you all

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would trade Nem in a heartbeat for Pakellas back.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

:same:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The endgame is to remove the player, so this is welcome news

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

You are so whiny.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

World Famous W posted:

No doubt, I would trade HIM for any of the removed content aside from mountain dwarfs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
To the devs: do you think you could add a little readout to the bottom of armors that says something to the effect of: "At your current skills/stats, you will lose X evasion, Y stealth, and Z accuracy from the encumbrance of this armor. The math behind it is impossible and I hate having to put stuff on to see how it will affect me.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

apple posted:

I kinda wish armor decisions were easier to make with hybrid characters; it's a big investment as it is to decide to level up strength (following that encumbrance = str rule of thumb), but I also need to know roughly how much armor skill I also need so that spell success chance isn't ruined. Is there "conventional wisdom" for these type of characters beyond matching encumbrance rating with strength, like the amount of armor skill you want?

The reason for this is that strength is less of a decision than skill.

7.6 * (Encumbrance Rating)^2 * (45 - Armour skill Lv) / 45 / (Str + 3)

If we look at this, each point of strength increases the denominator by one, so each subsequent point has less and less effect. This leads to a "sweet spot" which is invoked by the encumbrance = str rule of thumb.

On the other hand, each point of armour skill decreases the penalty by the same amount (1/45th of the total value).

So if we're wearing red dragon scales (11 enc) and have 11 str, the formula becomes

71 * (45 - skill) / 45

So ignoring wizardry abilities, each point of armour skill increases our spell success by about 1.6%. Lighter armours will see lesser effect and heavier armours will see greater, with 0% per level for a robe and ~3.4% per level for GDA (assuming 23 strength for GDA). To compare, for a single school spell spellcasting gives ~3% per level and the school gives ~12% per level.

When choosing whether to invest in armour skill I generally use the fact that each level gives about 4% base AC per level. So you can use the formula

Levels for 1 AC = 1 / (0.4 * base AC)

So if we have 10 base AC (scale mail + boots + gloves + cloak + helmet), it will take 2.5 levels to get a point of AC. A robe wearer (6 base AC) will get one every 4.2 levels and someone in CPA (18 base AC) will get one every 1.4 levels.

Knowing the scale of the effect is generally enough to make a decision.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

fool_of_sound posted:

To the devs: do you think you could add a little readout to the bottom of armors that says something to the effect of: "At your current skills/stats, you will lose X evasion, Y stealth, and Z accuracy from the encumbrance of this armor. The math behind it is impossible and I hate having to put stuff on to see how it will affect me.
Yes, this is a good idea. I always thought we should have something like this. Not sure about the best style. I considered
code:
Currently: AC 15, EV 12, Stealth: +++++....
With this: AC 22, EV  4, Stealth: ++.......
This doesn't include accuracy (which is important), so that'd need another line. I'll bring this up in ##craw-dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I honestly think it's ok to leave out accuracy, I think it is rarely ever something which should make you choose lighter armor.

• Locked thread