Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I was afraid at first too, but I learned that fear is something you subscribe to. It's possible to have no fear. I do not fear God, or death, or anything really. My brain is hosed up and now I'm not afraid of anything. I'm a little bit shy for Love but I wouldn't call that fear.

I understand all the doubt. Only a fool would blindly follow some idiot on an internet forum. Follow Jesus! He was The Messiah.

Not sure why my opinion is less valuable than any other persons. I'm begging you guys to tell me I'm wrong. I just want to know if it's real, is all. If I'm wrong, I'm okay with it. I can move on. If I'm correct, I don't think I will ever stop talking. For the sake of humanity as a whole, I just want to inspire positive change in others, does that make me a heretic?

I don't think I'm wrong, but I'm biased. Sooooooo help me goons!

That's between you and God. Personally, I think you either need to take way less drugs or possibly a lot more, I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
do you have a therapist? if not get a therapist. if yes, have you told this therapist what you've said? if no tell the therapist. if yes, does the therapist encourage this behavior? if yes, get a new therapist

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

do you have a therapist? if not get a therapist. if yes, have you told this therapist what you've said? if no tell the therapist. if yes, does the therapist encourage this behavior? if yes, get a new therapist
my dude, freaking calm down and listen to what she's saying. Her brother has bipolar as well, she knows what she's talking about

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Why would a therapist try and suppress me? Is that what mental health is about in this country? Suppression? I do not agree with that. We should encourage those with unusual brains to flourish.

I don't need someone to tell me something is wrong with me. Don't get me wrong, therapists can be an amazing tool when you're down and out and have nobody else to talk to. Luckily for me, I have tons of people to talk to. And I don't have to pay money for it, either.

If I'm happy with my life, my job, my friends, my family, and God, what would I tell a therapist? I'm drawing a blank

If at any time my words harm you, please let me know. I'm just trying to do right by God.

Edit: oops I got a little worked up there, I apologize for my tone. Its just that I feel really strongly about Mental Heath, for obvious reasons. Lol

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

StashAugustine posted:

hot theory: he's a math debater rereg

He isn't

Senju Kannon posted:

was that the guy obsessed with masturbation

Yes, he also posted a pic of him duct taped naked to a chair

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Why would a therapist try and suppress me? Is that what mental health is about in this country? Suppression? I do not agree with that. We should encourage those with unusual brains to flourish.

I don't need someone to tell me something is wrong with me. Don't get me wrong, therapists can be an amazing tool when you're down and out and have nobody else to talk to. Luckily for me, I have tons of people to talk to. And I don't have to pay money for it, either.

If I'm happy with my life, my job, my friends, my family, and God, what would I tell a therapist? I'm drawing a blank

If at any time my words harm you, please let me know. I'm just trying to do right by God.

Edit: oops I got a little worked up there, I apologize for my tone. Its just that I feel really strongly about Mental Heath, for obvious reasons. Lol

You are not mentally healthy. For the love of God, pay attention to what everyone has been trying to subtly or perhaps less than subtly say: God is not talking to you. You are looking for connections so hard, and your grasp of reality is sufficiently tenuous, that you claim contact with the divine through faulty electronics. This isn't charming or fun, it's creepy and terrifying.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

:(

What is terrifying about it? I'm genuinely curious because I can't see any reason to be terrified

There's a first for everything!
I know you believe that.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

this isn't healthy, mania isn't something you will yourself through, get professional health

you've mentioned you're on lithium, that is prescribed by a doctor, correct?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

:(

What is terrifying about it? I'm genuinely curious because I can't see any reason to be terrified

There's a first for everything!
I know you believe that.

It is terrifying because it is a question of the connections you are making between your playlist fuckups. All it takes is a bad day and some bad musical choices for you to decide that God has told you to Let The Bodies Hit The Floor /In Reno, Just/ Want To Have Fun. If I knew the guy next to me on the bus was urgently shuffling through his mp3 player list to find secret messages from God, I would get the gently caress off the bus.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: whoops double post anyway seek help if you think God or angels talk to you

source: common sense

Senju Kannon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 13, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
If you're taking an antidepressant, they can precipitate manic behavior if you are bipolar (type I or II, doesn't matter.) Your medication may need to be changed.

Please tell your therapist that you hear voices from God, at the very least. Also please stop drinking if you're taking lithium.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

It is terrifying because it is a question of the connections you are making between your playlist fuckups. All it takes is a bad day and some bad musical choices for you to decide that God has told you to Let The Bodies Hit The Floor /In Reno, Just/ Want To Have Fun. If I knew the guy next to me on the bus was urgently shuffling through his mp3 player list to find secret messages from God, I would get the gently caress off the bus.

you assume I would do evil things if I thought God told me to?

God would never tell me to do evil things. If I ever do get messages like that I will just brush it off as Satan.

I still make my own choices. I do not have to obey 'God'. This isn't something I'm trapped in and am forced to do, it is a choice I am making. Everything we do is a choice.

I will never choose evil.

To the other question: My lithium was prescribed by a doctor. May I ask you a question?

Why, when faced by God, do you turn to fear? I do not mean me, think about it in a more abstract way.

Also, why do you think I'm lesser than you becauss I have a mental illness? Sounds like Pride to me.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i also have a mental illness, i'm just managing it slightly better

and, again, believing that god is literally talking to you is a symptom of mental illness

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Also, why do you think I'm lesser than you becauss I have a mental illness? Sounds like Pride to me.

Nobody here thinks that, we're just pleading that you seek help.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I did seek help. I involuntarily committed myself (by saying I was a threat to myself or others) to a mental hospital, I accepted my medicine, and I was deemed Okay after 1 night. If the state of Florida deems me alright to be out in the world, I think I'm good. As. Long as I keep taking my lithium I will be fine. I do not behave oddly or have weird body language that would be alarming. I'm just a normal 23 year old, you wouldn't be able to point me out on the street, I blend in! I promise lol

I appreciate your worries though. It's just hard for me to distinguish between worry and doubt when it comes to this thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

If the state of Florida deems me alright to be out in the world, I think I'm good.

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

It's just hard for me to distinguish between worry and doubt when it comes to this thread.

People really do doubt that God speaks to you. This is what causes the worry part, actually.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I know, and I accept and am at peace with all your doubts.

I'm going to try my hardest to change your mind though, not because God told me to, but because I'm still human and have an ego whether I like it or not. I just want you to believe me, how can I achieve that?

Ego is not the same as Pride, btw.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/how-russia-became-a-leader-of-the-worldwide-christian-right-214755

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I know, and I accept and am at peace with all your doubts.
if you are, how about you do us a solid and tell your therapist what's been going on in this thread and what we said? Just to prove to us you're still OK.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

if you are, how about you do us a solid and tell your therapist what's been going on in this thread and what we said? Just to prove to us you're still OK.
Because therapists are trained to correct wrongful thinking and behavior. I personally would not like my thinking and behavior to be corrected, therefore I do not wish to seek help when I personally do not think I need it.

I understand that you think I need it though, and that's okay. Its the easiest and most logical conclusion to jump to. "hes crazy" or "he needs help" or "something is wrong with him, obviously"

I would ask that you do not jump to such easy conclusions, because that is lazy thinking, or Sloth.

Might I recommend that you seek therapy? it seems to me that you may have some deep seated issues that manifest as anger when you are confronted with a difficult question. Therapy helped me so so so much throughout my life, I highly recommend it.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I'm going to try my hardest to change your mind though, not because God told me to, but because I'm still human and have an ego whether I like it or not. I just want you to believe me, how can I achieve that?

I can't really imagine a situation in which you'd be able get anyone in this thread to believe that God is talking to you. I don't think any of us believes that anyone has a unique access to God: God hears the prayers of everyone, and answers them in His appointed time and manner. Attempting to coerce His answer is a form of divination.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

Attempting to coerce His answer is a form of divination.

oh? It is you that is assuming I am attempting to coerce God into doing anything. Maybe God just likes me and wants to talk?

what is Divination? I've heard that word but I don't know the meaning.

So this is why Jesus talked bad about religion and never hung out with religious people. Bunch of doubters

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

oh? It is you that is assuming I am attempting to coerce God into doing anything. Maybe God just likes me and wants to talk?

what is Divination? I've heard that word but I don't know the meaning.

So this is why Jesus talked bad about religion and never hung out with religious people. Bunch of doubters

speak to your therapist please, and be safe

you are welcome here but we are all concerned for your health

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

I can't really imagine a situation in which you'd be able get anyone in this thread to believe that God is talking to you. I don't think any of us believes that anyone has a unique access to God: God hears the prayers of everyone, and answers them in His appointed time and manner. Attempting to coerce His answer is a form of divination.
excuse me, looking at omens doesn't attempt to coerce anything from God

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Wouldn't it depend on how you do it? Like "looking to see what's up" would seem to me to be different from "give me a sign about this particular thing at this particular moment."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Because therapists are trained to correct wrongful thinking and behavior. I personally would not like my thinking and behavior to be corrected, therefore I do not wish to seek help when I personally do not think I need it.

I understand that you think I need it though, and that's okay. Its the easiest and most logical conclusion to jump to. "hes crazy" or "he needs help" or "something is wrong with him, obviously"

I would ask that you do not jump to such easy conclusions, because that is lazy thinking, or Sloth.

If God had actually chosen you, you'd be able to influence others. As it is, your opinion isn't more or less valuable than anyone's else, but it has much less utility because there's a really high risk that you're believing something that isn't true.

Therapists are trained to make symptoms of mental disease managable, not to make you into a good drone with no mind of your own. Furthermore, do you know what the most common symptom of delusions are? Lack of self-doubt. I used to be treated for delusions, so it's not like I'm pulling this out of my rear end either.

Take a break from thinking about God and praying, and talk to a doc. It'll be the best decision you ever make, and I'll be happy to help you find one if you need it.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Tias posted:

Take a break from thinking about God and praying, and talk to a doc. It'll be the best decision you ever make, and I'll be happy to help you find one if you need it.

I really like this idea, and I cannot come up with any reason why I should not immediately consult with a professional, tbh.

I do take a break from praying/God all the time. Whenever I'm at work, i'm thinking about work. When I'm with friends, I am a friend. When I'm on the train, I sit there and look out the window just like everyone else.

Only when I am alone, am I with God. Only when I'm alone do I choose to ponder these ideas. Do I isolate myself from others sometimes to try and get in a quick prayer? sure, because I'm hungry for knowledge. But theres nothing wrong with stepping back and taking a 5minute break to think about what you're doing, why your doing it, and everyone your with's motives and intentions, pure or otherwise. I just don't want to be around bad people because It rubs off on you. I want to be apart of a fun and loving group of individuals. I like people who provoke my thinking. Negativity breeds negativity. Don't be that person who only brings negativity into the world. Don't.

the world is my therapist. I speak and the world responds. I smile and it smiles back. I cry and people feel pity or sorrow for me and my struggle. I am a man. I am normal. There is nothing wrong with me. We are all in this together, why does it have to be a battle? Can we just be friends?

tell me this: Even if what I'm experiencing is entirely imaginary, and all in my head, why would I give it up? is this a good thing, or a bad thing? If I choose to believe God is talking to me, who is anyone to tell me otherwise? don't tell me how to live my life, please. I know the first response to that statement will be a fear response. Then the second will be a Pride one. Then we'll go back to fear, because thats all this thread is giving me (not all of you, sorry to lump all of you together). Where is the LOVE? Why not just love and accept everyone unconditionally and as they are? You cannot change others. You can only change yourself. Why does everyone in this thread feel the need to change me? Do I need to be fixed to fit into your world? Why do you fear me? stop the fear. Fear is not real! whenever you get a fear response in your thoughts be mindful of it and recognize it for what it is. If you're uncomfortable, push your comfort zone. Don't just stand there and wallow in fear. What are we all so afraid of, exactly? Fear isnt real. Start believing in Love and stop believing in Fear. yall like darth vader up in dis bitch usin allllll tha Fear, jeeeeeez.

It is common belief that 'Mental Health' is a Problem in society. Therefore we treat it like a problem, we want to fix it. aka supress it and push it to the side because its ugly. Really ugly. Stop trying to fix me. I fixed myself, I don't need your help dealing with my Bipolar, I have doctors and a very supportive family behind me that make sure I am okay.

I wanted a better world so I decided to be the best thing I can be. Only Love. No fear. Its so simple, what would Jesus do? Jesus wouldn't tell me I was broken and tell me to go sit in timeout? That's a lazy way to deal with mental health. Its time humanity started treating each other with respect and dignity.

I'm just here to tell everyone that we need to be a little more like Jesus. That is my message. That's it. That's a wrap. Close the thread. I'm going to say it, do it, and be it, every single day for the rest of my life. I am choosing this path because I want to impress God. I will never let another person bring me down. Treat me like trash? its okay, I forgive you. If you would rather I left this thread and never posted in here again, I will respect that. I just thought this was a place were we could all Love God together. Why all the resistance? Why all the fear?

This is Real. This is happening. Embrace it.

ps: how was that for a speech? Did it sound profound and thought provoking? trying to get better at 'Telling It Like It Is'. any writers up in here? lets get the whole world hooked on Jesus, aka Love, aka God.

I mean... Why not ?

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 13, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

You do not gain knowledge by speaking to yourself, even if you hear God talking when you do so. The world is not a therapist. It can help, but it is not a therapist.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

You do not gain knowledge by speaking to yourself, even if you hear God talking when you do so. The world is not a therapist. It can help, but it is not a therapist.

what is a therapist, then?

I do not speak to myself. You do gain knowledge by taking the time to think and work though problems and questions. So I disagree with your statement.

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

what is a therapist, then?

I do not speak to myself. You do gain knowledge by taking the time to think and work though problems and questions. So I disagree with your statement.

If we are going down this route we are going to end up defining what "is" is. But talking to a person medically trained in recognising behaviour that might be harmful or self destructive when applied to the self or others, that is my usual definition.

Thinking things is different to speaking them, you cannot acquire reason and knowledge through your own head. It needs other stuff.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

ugh you guys are making me upset. I guess a mentally ill persons opinion will never be treated as equal here. of all places, The Christianity thread. I'm gunna take a break for tonight and go do something else I love for a while because this isnt making me happy anymore.

I don't want your help people. stop feeling the need to make choices for me, it honestly feels cruel and insulting being treated like a child. you're treating me like I'm lesser.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

May you find what you are looking for.

But I am not a Christian, so don't think it's the nicer people in the thread who are treating you poorly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i thought i would get the Exsurge when i googled "prayers against demons," i didn't know i was loading up a trip to loving crazytown:
http://www.bible-knowledge.com/prayer-legal-rights/

quote:

Battle Prayer to Break Legal Rights of Demons

what jurisdiction would you even file the suit in?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Florida Liturgigoon

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

i thought i would get the Exsurge when i googled "prayers against demons," i didn't know i was loading up a trip to loving crazytown:

I presume they are going full legal and basing this precedent off of "This person owns the house, you cannot involuntarily inhabit it without their permission".

Maybe the demons are demanding trial by ordeal/combat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I really like this idea, and I cannot come up with any reason why I should not immediately consult with a professional, tbh.

I do take a break from praying/God all the time. Whenever I'm at work, i'm thinking about work. When I'm with friends, I am a friend. When I'm on the train, I sit there and look out the window just like everyone else.

Only when I am alone, am I with God. Only when I'm alone do I choose to ponder these ideas. Do I isolate myself from others sometimes to try and get in a quick prayer? sure, because I'm hungry for knowledge. But theres nothing wrong with stepping back and taking a 5minute break to think about what you're doing, why your doing it, and everyone your with's motives and intentions, pure or otherwise. I just don't want to be around bad people because It rubs off on you. I want to be apart of a fun and loving group of individuals. I like people who provoke my thinking. Negativity breeds negativity. Don't be that person who only brings negativity into the world. Don't.

the world is my therapist. I speak and the world responds. I smile and it smiles back. I cry and people feel pity or sorrow for me and my struggle. I am a man. I am normal. There is nothing wrong with me. We are all in this together, why does it have to be a battle? Can we just be friends?

tell me this: Even if what I'm experiencing is entirely imaginary, and all in my head, why would I give it up? is this a good thing, or a bad thing? If I choose to believe God is talking to me, who is anyone to tell me otherwise? don't tell me how to live my life, please. I know the first response to that statement will be a fear response. Then the second will be a Pride one. Then we'll go back to fear, because thats all this thread is giving me (not all of you, sorry to lump all of you together). Where is the LOVE? Why not just love and accept everyone unconditionally and as they are? You cannot change others. You can only change yourself. Why does everyone in this thread feel the need to change me? Do I need to be fixed to fit into your world? Why do you fear me? stop the fear. Fear is not real! whenever you get a fear response in your thoughts be mindful of it and recognize it for what it is. If you're uncomfortable, push your comfort zone. Don't just stand there and wallow in fear. What are we all so afraid of, exactly? Fear isnt real. Start believing in Love and stop believing in Fear. yall like darth vader up in dis bitch usin allllll tha Fear, jeeeeeez.

It is common belief that 'Mental Health' is a Problem in society. Therefore we treat it like a problem, we want to fix it. aka supress it and push it to the side because its ugly. Really ugly. Stop trying to fix me. I fixed myself, I don't need your help dealing with my Bipolar, I have doctors and a very supportive family behind me that make sure I am okay.

I wanted a better world so I decided to be the best thing I can be. Only Love. No fear. Its so simple, what would Jesus do? Jesus wouldn't tell me I was broken and tell me to go sit in timeout? That's a lazy way to deal with mental health. Its time humanity started treating each other with respect and dignity.

I'm just here to tell everyone that we need to be a little more like Jesus. That is my message. That's it. That's a wrap. Close the thread. I'm going to say it, do it, and be it, every single day for the rest of my life. I am choosing this path because I want to impress God. I will never let another person bring me down. Treat me like trash? its okay, I forgive you. If you would rather I left this thread and never posted in here again, I will respect that. I just thought this was a place were we could all Love God together. Why all the resistance? Why all the fear?

This is Real. This is happening. Embrace it.

ps: how was that for a speech? Did it sound profound and thought provoking? trying to get better at 'Telling It Like It Is'. any writers up in here? lets get the whole world hooked on Jesus, aka Love, aka God.

I mean... Why not ?

Your speech is dumb, you're acting like a manic attention seeker and telling christians to act more like Jesus isn't really profound or thread-breaking.

Constantly needing to affirm that mental health is dumb is also a common early sign of delusions. Get help and stop being annoying, I offered to help you do so if you find it hard.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

Third Plane of Hell.

Well first, the problem is that demons are chaotic evil, so they don't follow laws -it's devils that are Lawful Evil and fight in court.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like the case where a town sued a plague of locusts, and the public defender got them off on the grounds that God had explicitly commanded them to be fruitful and multiply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I DO NOT CREATE JOINDER WITH YOU, SATAN.

• Locked thread