Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's great how even when the NBA tries to enforce some dumb rule everybody just works around it in a really entertaining passive aggressive way. This is basically how we got the Fashion Era of NBA stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

Whispers that it's valentine mirotic and a protected 1st

I'm ok with that and I know it's not popular here

That would be a fleecing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Niwrad posted:

Yeah if that's it just keep him until the draft and potentially use him to move up a few spots.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Yeah i don't think philly will get that much in this market . Dropping one of those three is more likely . We shall see.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Whispers that it's valentine mirotic and a protected 1st

I'm ok with that and I know it's not popular here

If you're gonna post stuff like that it's helpful if you post a source.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was on twitter as a rumor / whisper

That's not far from valentine and grant depending on the protection . Mirotic is an rfa with limited value . IMHO. That also seems in line with Ajinca and a less protected pick. It seems okafors value is basically a late lottery value plus a little more which make sense to me . His on court potential value is way way way higher obviously .

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
lol the knicks organization is a mess and their team is a joke

what!? the spurs lost to the knicks!?

:suicide:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

That's not far from valentine and grant depending on the protection . Mirotic is an rfa with limited value . IMHO. That also seems in line with Ajinca and a less protected pick. It seems okafors value is basically a late lottery value plus a little more which make sense to me . His on court potential value is way way way higher obviously .

So it's not from anyone reliable and it's just random people on Twitter?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://streamable.com/gvmjf

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

I think Okafor sucks and don't see where his potential lies. The Bulls are a dumb team that still thinks it's the 90's when acquiring talent so they may do something dumb. That trade would be terrible for them if it involves a future 1st round pick.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Niwrad posted:

Trade Taj to the Raptors for one of their 1st round picks.

I mean like we've been trying to do some variation of that deal on and off for the last three years, or so the media rumours say.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
If Masai sits on his rear end yet again this off-season, he's gotta go.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Repeat after me.

Masai is fine.
Masai is fine.
Masai is fine.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

He waited too long to make the perfect deal and now he's in a position of weakness

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lessail posted:

He waited too long to make the perfect deal and now he's in a position of weakness

This is a line from The Godfather, isn't it. Sollozzo, the Turk, right?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/830959699386327041

Is it fire the coach? Does it involve yelling at the team to stop playing iso ball? Maybe getting Derozan to stop trying to take over games if it ruins the offensive flow? Because any of those would be cool. I don't think either of the last two options happen without the first happening though.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 13, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I hope Okafor shuts down all the haters.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lessail posted:

I'm pretty sure he was never in a position for a perfect deal since the Raps haven't really had a valuable player on a rookie deal or tons of cap space in a long time.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean you can yell at Masai to make a move, and I'd agree with you if that move is 'Fire Casey' which should have been done two years ago. More talent would be nice. But I look at the Raptors and the things that stand out to me aren't lack of talent, it's poo poo tier execution at the worst possible moments.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's not 2k, you can't just make deals because you feel like it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

I'm pretty sure he was never in a position for a perfect deal since the Raps haven't really had a valuable player on a rookie deal or tons of cap space in a long time.

That's my point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kibner posted:

They had cap space when they signed demarre carol, which some people here said was way better than danny green who's an elite 3d.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

They had cap space when they signed demarre carol, which some people here said was way better than danny green who's an elite 3d.

That's not a lot of cap space and it wouldn't have fixed any of their issues, anyway.

Lessail posted:

That's my point.

That there was never the opportunity that you have been complaining for him to jump on?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

That there was never the opportunity that you have been complaining for him to jump on?

Perfect is the enemy of good

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lessail posted:

Perfect is the enemy of good
Do you have an actual complaint?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol if the bulls trade for jahlil "pace and space" okafor

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Do you have an actual complaint?

Read what I've posted. Masai is too risk adverse with a team that doesn't have a solid foundation. His playbook works with a team like the Spurs because they have Pop. Casey is nowhere near Pop. It could work if they had a superstar, but they don't. Instead of being proactive, he's content to be reactive. By waiting only for a perfect deal, he's passed up opportunities.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wasn't Mirotic good once?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Oh, buddy.

https://twitter.com/TheCrossover/status/830976886889123840

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't Mirotic good once?

March, 2015

e: my read on Mirotic is that he is a skilled big dude who absolutely could succeed in the NBA except that he is a complete and utter dunderhead who shoots nothing but dumb threes and doesn't know how to rotate on defense and all of this is exacerbated by the complete incompetence of Fred Hoiberg who uses him exclusively as a shooter instead of a 6'10" guy with range who should be able to score on smaller fours. There's some real dumb poo poo that Niko does that hampers his game, but he's a rotation player on a competent team especially if they attached a device to him that shocked him every time he shoots a 35-footer early in the shot clock for no apparent reason BECAUSE THAT poo poo MAKES ME FURIOUS EVEN WHEN HE MAKES IT BECAUSE IT JUST loving ENCOURAGES HIM.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

You gotta kick them in the nuts to get away with it Buddy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lmao what the heck, Buddy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lessail posted:

Read what I've posted. Masai is too risk adverse with a team that doesn't have a solid foundation. His playbook works with a team like the Spurs because they have Pop. Casey is nowhere near Pop. It could work if they had a superstar, but they don't. Instead of being proactive, he's content to be reactive. By waiting only for a perfect deal, he's passed up opportunities.

What opportunities? The trade market has been dogshit for the last few years. You can't force a trade unless you want to get hosed. We were involved in talks for Horford and apparently had a Milsap deal laid out contingent on Horford signing back with Atlanta. We've been vaguely connected to Gibson and Noel over the years, but the salaries and trade market have made things hard to work. Those are pretty boring opportunities (except for Milsap) but it's pretty drat hard to make anything else work without fire sailing our real assets and crippling the team. I'm a bitter Raptors fan, I get the frustration, but your anger's in the wrong place if you think a different GM is the change that needs to happen.

The only risk averse move he's been making has been not firing Casey at some point over the last 3 years, which yeah I'm frustrated with but I think other than that the guy has a pretty sensible track record.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
pause

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Check out Buddy when Buddy gets nuts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lessail posted:

Please tell us more about these fantastic opportunities Masai has already passed up.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh my god, boogie emphatically T'ing up Hield while screaming HE HIT MY NUTS

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Please tell us more about these fantastic opportunities Masai has already passed up.

"fantastic opportunities" are what Masai is waiting for

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lessail posted:

"fantastic opportunities" are what Masai is waiting for
So what is your actual complaint. You've just posted non-sense so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spring Break My Heart posted:

So what is your actual complaint. You've just posted non-sense so far.

That LeBron and/or KD aren't Raptors.

• Locked thread