Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The headphones work because she can't lip read. Kilgrave needs to communicate his commands. And that's why Jessica should have just got someone who doesn't speak English to go after him.

On the subject of Daredevil fights, generally agreeing with those who say they have declined. One thing Daredevil season 1 did well was that kingpin having his fingers in every pie meant there was a good variety of henchmen for Daredevil to beat up, with different fighting styles. Let's have more of that going forward. Not interchangeable ninjas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SonicRulez posted:

The Black Sky was the enhanced kid, I thought.

But what does that mean? What does the kid do?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well...he's asian.

And he's enhanced.

An Enhanced Asian. Those are pretty powerful - you don't want to get on its bad side.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SonicRulez posted:

The hallway was definitely street thugs.

The Black Sky was the enhanced kid, I thought.

Drifter posted:

Well...he's asian.

And he's enhanced.

An Enhanced Asian. Those are pretty powerful - you don't want to get on its bad side.

I just realized that this must be why Elektra is a Black Sky.

Because she's an Enhanced Asian. There is literally no other reason. If you're Asian and you can kick hella high than you're ~magical.~

Ahahahahahahaha oh god the longer I think about season 2 of Daredevil the worst it loving becomes! And I bet season 3 will be even worse. :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

I just realized that this must be why Elektra is a Black Sky.

Because she's an Enhanced Asian. There is literally no other reason. If you're Asian and you can kick hella high than you're ~magical.~

Ahahahahahahaha oh god the longer I think about season 2 of Daredevil the worst it loving becomes! And I bet season 3 will be even worse. :(

when you think about it Iron Fist is actually subverting the trope that Daredevil set up by having a magical white guy martial artist instead of a magical asian martial artist.

Pretty clever, if you ask me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Drifter posted:

when you think about it Iron Fist is actually subverting the trope that Daredevil set up by having a magical white guy martial artist instead of a magical asian martial artist.

Pretty clever, if you ask me.

:drat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's the beauty of it!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When I first watched Season 2 of DD I was immensely entertained to the point where I actually suggested a friend who had never watched the first season to pick it up just to get to the second season. We were both big Punisher fans in highschool.

Now you Negative Nancy's are making me wonder if I just have bad taste in comic book shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People are kind of overstating things I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Daredevil Season 2 is two halves of separate seasons that are probably good and thematically consistent exploring different ideas, that for some reason were jammed together instead of with the other half of their proper season.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't even mind that division in stories and themes. It felt like a very comic book thing to do and after Castle got sent to the slammer I welcomed more focus being placed on The Hand and Murdock's relationship with Elektra.

Then again I straight up binge watched both seasons and whenever there was a drastic shift in the story it served as a helpful bookmarking of events.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I didn't even mind that division in stories and themes. It felt like a very comic book thing to do and after Castle got sent to the slammer I welcomed more focus being placed on The Hand and Murdock's relationship with Elektra.

Then again I straight up binge watched both seasons and whenever there was a drastic shift in the story it served as a helpful bookmarking of events.

Something that works in comic books doesn't necessarily work in another format though. Live action entertainment needs more natural flow in order to be good. If a tv show is "just like a comic book" than that isn't a good thing because it's not being good tv, it's just aping the comic book format and trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

It wasn't any one thing. It was how several different bad things piled up. Like Matt and Elektra's horrible written dialogue ("Do you still want me :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:") + severely lacking fight scenes + an Asian waifu tsundere character that needed Matt to do all the work for her when she wasn't getting stabbed + the total lack of character motivation on Matt's part (like how a previous poster pointed out that Matt went from "mellow" to "I hate my best friend and I'm going to blow up my business for no reason" in the space of a few episodes with no good justification for it.) + a Punisher plot that started out promising but ended in a wet shart.

Basically if you like season two that's fine, but there are plenty of reasons not to and they are a lot more prominent than the flaws of season one.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

And the Punsiher + DD/Elektra/Hand stories are so separated for most of the season until they really push them together in a completely inorganic way as if they need to set up a reason for them to all team up in Defenders. I also understand they don't want to do an endless amount of origin stories but I'm kind of pissed they pretty much did Punsiher's origin already so they really can't expand on it in the solo series.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I liked season two, but I didn't really like Matt in season two because he essentially left his friends hanging. However, I could understand why he neglected friends and work. He wanted to go on adventures with Elektra. His hormones just overcame his rational self.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

nelson posted:

I liked season two, but I didn't really like Matt in season two because he essentially left his friends hanging. However, I could understand why he neglected friends and work. He wanted to go on adventures with Elektra. His hormones just overcame his rational self.

I just wish they had made it more consistent with season one where Matt is more of an adult.

I never get the hormones argument. Elektra isn't that pretty and she's so annoying. Her only good point is that she can kick over her head. She really isn't worth it so it's really inexplicable why Matt likes her so much.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

I just wish they had made it more consistent with season one where Matt is more of an adult.

I never get the hormones argument. Elektra isn't that pretty and she's so annoying. Her only good point is that she can kick over her head. She really isn't worth it so it's really inexplicable why Matt likes her so much.

I agree that it seems weird that Matt decides to destroy his career and personal relationships just to get laid and fight ninjas. That doesn't fit his established character

bUt by any human standards of attractiveness, Elektra is very pretty.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HIJK posted:

Wow. You normally expect an anime avatar on a post like that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Also while we're bitching about DD Season 2, I really think it did a lot of character assassination on Karen. It pretty much destroys her relationship with Matt, they have no chemistry as a romantic couple, she pretty much just gets handed a journalism job, and rather than have her discover his identity (which is an iconic scene from the comics when Urich deduces the identity and tells Matt of it) since she is essentially fulfilling the Urich role, he has to up and tell her while holding the drat mask in his hand.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I agree that it seems weird that Matt decides to destroy his career and personal relationships just to get laid and fight ninjas. That doesn't fit his established character

bUt by any human standards of attractiveness, Elektra is very pretty.

I guess. I'm only attracted to some girls and Elektra doesn't appeal to me, so I don't really get it.

Aphrodite posted:

Wow. You normally expect an anime avatar on a post like that.

Then you had better pony up some cash and get me one!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Also while we're bitching about DD Season 2, I really think it did a lot of character assassination on Karen. It pretty much destroys her relationship with Matt, they have no chemistry as a romantic couple, she pretty much just gets handed a journalism job, and rather than have her discover his identity (which is an iconic scene from the comics when Urich deduces the identity and tells Matt of it) since she is essentially fulfilling the Urich role, he has to up and tell her while holding the drat mask in his hand.

Everything Karen and Matt did was disappointing forced garbage.

On the other hand she had really great scenes with Frank! So I'm really happy she'll be in the Punisher series :)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HIJK posted:

plus she's probably got cooties

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

plus she's probably got cooties

Elektra is a lot of things but she wouldn't put up with lice, she'd get them blasted off her head and then go about her daily life.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope they never explain the weird holes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

When I first watched Season 2 of DD I was immensely entertained to the point where I actually suggested a friend who had never watched the first season to pick it up just to get to the second season. We were both big Punisher fans in highschool.

Now you Negative Nancy's are making me wonder if I just have bad taste in comic book shows.
DDs2 had the best characters of any season of any of the shows. The Karen/Foggy dynamics were dull as dishwater, but the characters made it very enjoyable despite the sloppy writing. And I guess you were kind of supposed to be annoyed with Matt anyway, but it didn't make for compelling writing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

AndyElusive posted:

Eh, you have to remember that it aired an age ago (in internet time) so most people still posting about it are the people who had really strong feelings about the season. Most people I know seem to have thought it was at least a decent season of TV, but few people are going to post just to reiterate "Yeah, that was good, maybe not as good as S1" or "Season 2 had problems but overall still enjoyable". I liked it well enough personally, but its not my favourite Netflix marvel show/season.

HIJK posted:

I guess. I'm only attracted to some girls and Elektra doesn't appeal to me, so I don't really get it.

Wait... This cant be a real thing, right? You dont understand how someone can be attracted to a person you arent personally attracted to? Because I can assure you its definately a thing that happens.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

SiKboy posted:

Eh, you have to remember that it aired an age ago (in internet time) so most people still posting about it are the people who had really strong feelings about the season. Most people I know seem to have thought it was at least a decent season of TV, but few people are going to post just to reiterate "Yeah, that was good, maybe not as good as S1" or "Season 2 had problems but overall still enjoyable". I liked it well enough personally, but its not my favourite Netflix marvel show/season.

Wait... This cant be a real thing, right? You dont understand how someone can be attracted to a person you arent personally attracted to? Because I can assure you its definately a thing that happens.

Some people will think your lying if you say you don't like the taste of a certain food, even though they see people eating food they themselves don't like.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Yup you nailed it buddy u got it!!!! Good job!!!!!

I understand people are attracted to Elektra, that's fine. What I don't understand is why the Matt Murdock character threw away his entire career because he wanted to get his dick wet, particularly since the lady that he's doing it all for is such a drag. Her physical appearance is only a part of that since she's supposed to be attractice in universe and that's one of the reasons Matt likes her. (See the season 1 dialogue where Foggy accuses him of seeking out beautiful women.)

So when I try to understand why Matt blows up all his friendships and destroys his career because of his boner...I completely fail. Because none of it adds up and it's majorly out of sync with the characterization we got in season 1.

Typical goons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I thought Elektra was supposed to represent the dark side of Matt's psyche, that a large part of him really does love beating the poo poo out of people and regularly thinks about killing people.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I thought Elektra was supposed to represent the dark side of Matt's psyche, that a large part of him really does love beating the poo poo out of people and regularly thinks about killing people.

I know that's what they wanted to portray and it's a good idea. But, 1) Frank did a better job of voicing that part of Matt. He had more of a meaty personal arc and he related to Matt better. 2) Elektra's weak personal arc tied up into the badly written love triangle (these triangles are always garbage) really reduced her to Matt's two dimensional love interest that just makes ominous pronouncements when she isn't making bleary cow eyes at Matt and whining variations of "do you still want me?"

It wouldn't bother me so much except Elektra in the mainstream comics was such a different character. I re read them a few weeks ago and I was struck at how she's really a career woman who has chosen her assassination career over Matt, and while she's sad about their separation she never deviates from her chosen path. She only returns to Matt when she's almost dead. And even when she comes back she doesn't give up being an assassin and she accepts that this means she and Matt can't be together because Matt has such a firm moral compass about killing.

Whereas Netflix Elektra spends at least one episode arguing with Stick because "I love him Daddy you just don't understand!!!!" Because she's more concerned about whether Matt will stay with her because I guess she has nothing else going on in her life and she needs Matt and only Matt to fill that.

That's such an empty way to live and it baffles me that the writers decided to reduce her to that.

Anyway sorry for the tl;dr.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Elektra as the literal sexy violent devil is so damned fun - the flashback episode is a hoot.

But yeah, as soon as they introduce The Hand and start talking about "The Chosen One" I mentally tuned out. Well that and Matt Murdock fighting ninjas in sewers. Oy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Finally getting around to finishing Luke Cage and every time Stryker compares himself and Luke to Cain and Abel I keep thinking that the better analogy is Isaac and Ishmael, the situation is pretty much the same. Was it maybe their original intent but thought that the current climate maybe isn't the best time to compare the father of Islam to a psychopathic killer?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

HIJK posted:

Her physical appearance is only a part of that since she's supposed to be attractice in universe and that's one of the reasons Matt likes her.

Matt's blind how does he know she's physically attractive?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Matt can basically see unless it's relevant for the story to be blind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but not to a degree to know if someone's good looking or not.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

There's more to attractiveness than outward appearance. But that being said, Matt can probably tell who is beautiful and healthy based on heartbeat and smell.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

nelson posted:

There's more to attractiveness than outward appearance. But that being said, Matt can probably tell who is beautiful and healthy based on heartbeat and smell.

i love this post

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sir Nose posted:

Matt's blind how does he know she's physically attractive?

Aphrodite posted:

Into the Ring posted:

Foggy: You don't necessarily show the best judgment when beautiful women are involved, Matt.

Matt: How would I even know if she's a beautiful woman?

Foggy: I don't know. It's kinda spooky, actually. But if there's a stunning woman with questionable character in the room, Matt Murdock's gonna find her and Foggy Nelson is gonna suffer.

Matt: All right, I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

Matt goes for the babes. It is known and nelson is correct.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The worst part of the finale is there was a potentially amazing scene where Frank Castle picks up that Gatling Gun in the shed and just murders a whole bunch of Ninjas, it absolutely should have been in the show, and it isn't.

I could've forgiven a lot of the ending if the literal army of Ninjas just got mowed down by a Gatling Gun.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It was very odd how they set that up completely and then didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Lycus posted:

It was very odd how they set that up completely and then didn't do it.

It feels like one of those cases where either it got censored out or they couldn't execute it for whatever reason. Considering the violence of other punisher scenes it doesn't really feel like the former.