Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone defend Fallen Earth.

Yet, somehow THE REALM ONLINE is still running? You can still pay a sub for that game by mailing a check, wtf.

Fallen Earth was loving great. Disagree? Heh come say it to my face!

*pelts you with ball bearings from a paintball gun then rides off on a self made motorcycle at 12 mph*

It also had 'Protect ya neck!' as an ambient NPC line when exiting conversations. I appreciated the WuTang reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The Realm Online is TECHNICALLY running, but nobody knows who's got control of the servers anymore. The people who bought it had a falling out and now if you enter credit card info to subscribe there's no way to go back and change/delete it.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/its-a-mystery-whos-running-one-of-the-oldest-multiplayer-online-fantasy-games.amp

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeaugggh. That's one of those ideas that doesn't even sound good on paper.

It worked more like splash healing that topped your DPS off as they do their job and not main healing. All the main healing you did was from you doing DPS to your marked target. It wasn't too terrible, but like I said, lots of micromanagement.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Is Fallen Earth still running even? It actually looked like an interesting game about 10 years ago but no one was playing it so I didnt play it. I used to see an ad for it on Steam occasionally but now that I try to think about it I cant remember the last time I saw one.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

darkhand posted:

Warhammer online had the disciple and he was like a battle priest that could Dual Wield!!! for some reason??? He'd heal you when he did damage to enemies
WAR's Zealot was an interesting healer. You could cast this raven mark on enemy targets called the Harbinger of Doom. Various support/healing effects would key off it, like healing your defensive target for a percentage of the damage you did. It also didn't require LoS a lot of the time, which led to some hilarious moments in PvP.

On that note, I've never had a more enjoyable healing experience than The Secret World's AR Leech Healing build. The playstyle was basically "DPS harder or the group wipes!", which was loads of fun if you're more of a DPSer at heart like I am. You could even outdamage normal DPS if you did it right :)

Amante fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 20, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yet, somehow THE REALM ONLINE is still running?
While it's not really an MMO, there's a handful of absurdly old MUD-style text games with subscription fees still going after nearly thirty years. The one that springs to mind offhand is Gemstone IV, which started in 1988, still apparently takes subscriptions, and is old enough that the company actually managed to get "play.net" as a URL by just taking it because it hadn't been used yet. :eyepop:

There's probably an older one around, but gently caress if I can remember it.

EDIT: Another fun fact is the company that runs it (Simutronics) actually made the 3D game engine that SWTOR of all things runs on. Bioware apparently licensed it from them, even if it's been heavily modified since.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 20, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Byolante posted:

People who continued to play vanguard post release liked it. That's broken brained to start with. The concept of your healing only being as effective as your party member's willingness to do the correct thing is a second level of broken brain.

Well he was talking about Rifts not Vanguard. Chloromancer was one of the easiest healing classes. You had two modes, main heal and support heal, if you were main heal throw a buff on the main tank and dps away, 40% of damage was given to the MT as healing. In support heal 20% of damage was distributed to the entire raid as healing and you had the mentioned buff that healed people for 5% of the damage they dealt.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D&D Online is still alive and producing content somehow. It's even had two expansions and a third is on the way.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Asimo posted:

While it's not really an MMO, there's a handful of absurdly old MUD-style text games with subscription fees still going after nearly thirty years. The one that springs to mind offhand is Gemstone IV, which started in 1988, still apparently takes subscriptions, and is old enough that the company actually managed to get "play.net" as a URL by just taking it because it hadn't been used yet. :eyepop:

There's probably an older one around, but gently caress if I can remember it.

EDIT: Another fun fact is the company that runs it (Simutronics) actually made the 3D game engine that SWTOR of all things runs on. Bioware apparently licensed it from them, even if it's been heavily modified since.

Haha I remember playing gemstone with my friend around 95/96 on loving aol

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

super sweet best pal posted:

D&D Online is still alive and producing content somehow. It's even had two expansions and a third is on the way.

Yeah but that's an actual good game if you happen to like third edition and don't mind that it looks like rear end.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is Fallen Earth still running even? It actually looked like an interesting game about 10 years ago but no one was playing it so I didnt play it. I used to see an ad for it on Steam occasionally but now that I try to think about it I cant remember the last time I saw one.
The site hasn't updated since October of last year, but they celebrated their 7th anniversary last year and seemed to still be....existing.

It was an interesting game, but probably way too sandboxy and unintuitive to draw a huge crowd. Also the graphics were kinda poo poo at launch. I can see the appeal if a Fallout-esque MMO with huge emphasis on crafting was your thing and you could tolerate how janky it could be.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 24, 2017

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I don't remember too much about Rifts aside from the way it determined how much you contributed to an event being messed up. I played whatever class let you throw bombs and could stay in the gold/top reward level by just stacking bombs, whereas actually taking the moment to detonate them and do damage would register me as doing less. So basically I was rewarded for being useless.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I don't remember too much about Rifts aside from the way it determined how much you contributed to an event being messed up. I played whatever class let you throw bombs and could stay in the gold/top reward level by just stacking bombs, whereas actually taking the moment to detonate them and do damage would register me as doing less. So basically I was rewarded for being useless.

Spamming a no casting cost buff that did nothing of use was the most effective method for gaining rank on my character

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there a goon presence in this game? my friend started playing this game again and I had bought it when it first came out.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2017

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there a goon presence in this game? my friend started playing this game again and I had bought it when it first came out.

Not even goons will play this game.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

At this point I dont think there is a presence of [i]anyone]/[i] in Wildstar. There is some fun to be had with the game if you have a few friends to play it with, but considering the eally bad state it is in I think you and your friends would do a lot better to find a different f2p or b2p title to play together.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think you and your friends would do a lot better to find a different f2p or b2p title to play together.

Like Runescape.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
give project gorgon a try it's weird as gently caress and worth experiencing even if you end up bouncing off, IMO

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
When will Wildstar die

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it never lived

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wild Star is proof that abortions are bad.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It was more a miscarriage.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

super sweet best pal posted:

It was more a miscarriage.

That implies that Wild Star could have lived, which is wrong. It never had a chance. Even at inception.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Wildstar actually had some potential, and most importantly they timed their release during a big lull in WoW content so if they had actually been able to deliver the game would have had a chance. Of course, rather than use the few months they had post release to get established before WoW launched MoP Carbine's management chose to pile more bugs on top of their already numerous bugs by pushing rather humdrum content out the door and then alienated the raiding community by constantly loving with raid balance. Not to mention the absolute clusterfuck that was PvP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

Wildstar actually had some potential, and most importantly they timed their release during a big lull in WoW content so if they had actually been able to deliver the game would have had a chance. Of course, rather than use the few months they had post release to get established before WoW launched MoP Carbine's management chose to pile more bugs on top of their already numerous bugs by pushing rather humdrum content out the door and then alienated the raiding community by constantly loving with raid balance. Not to mention the absolute clusterfuck that was PvP.

They also shackled themselves to an outdated design philosophy that has proven untenable

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Speaking of WoW, how is it doing? Has the luster faded from the latest expansion?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I purchased the expansion and reached max level and honestly cant even remember the expansion's name. Im sure WoW is still the most popular subscription MMO out there and will continue to generate plenty of revenue for a long, long while but it seems like even Blizzard has seen the writing on the wall and started emphasizing the development of other IPs.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

CoffeeBooze posted:

I purchased the expansion and reached max level and honestly cant even remember the expansion's name. Im sure WoW is still the most popular subscription MMO out there and will continue to generate plenty of revenue for a long, long while but it seems like even Blizzard has seen the writing on the wall and started emphasizing the development of other IPs.

Actually Legion is the best expansion in years and is receiving content updates constantly, something unhead of in WoW previously.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What "writing on the wall"? It's still stupidly huge revenue-wise, overwatch can barely compete and it came out last year.
And they hardly even do any visible work on their other games

Shy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 15, 2017

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That the popularity of the MMO genre peaked years ago, that WoW is an aging game and that its subscriber numbers are going to slowly but steadily decline. I mean, there is no doubt that WoW is going to continue to be profitable for a long time to come, but Blizzard has given it very little air time during shareholder calls and has been pretty clearly trying to develop other IPs to compensate for the gradual loss in revenue.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nobody's saying that WoW isn't still the biggest MMO in the business nor that it won't remain so for years to come, just that Blizzard already knows that it's in a state of slow decline and that it would be stupid to keep all of their eggs in one basket. This has been obvious for years, especially to the people who actually make their money off the game.

WoW's subscriber numbers probably won't ever recover to the point where they were during WotLK but they make up for it with their cash shop, so even with less players they can still make more money. But nobody, especially not Blizzard, is operating under the assumption that this will be the case forever.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's immensely profitable, more so than ever before and that's all that matters to the people making the decisions.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That's why they split the teams up and created poo poo like Hearthstone and Overwatch. While they don't make money like WoW does with it's monthly subscription, they certainly are still making a lot of money with their lottery pack system that everybody's been doing for years.

Legion is actually a pretty drat good expansion, I think. It feels like they have a plan Bs and Cs on how to deliver content a lot quicker, it's crazy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah something (the dumpster fire and existential threat that was Warlords, maybe FF14 delivering on regular content drops) has lit a fire under the WoW team, it's been pretty nuts. In the end it's still basically World of Warcraft, but if you do like World of Warcraft it's everything you like at a steady clip.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

That the popularity of the MMO genre peaked years ago, that WoW is an aging game and that its subscriber numbers are going to slowly but steadily decline. I mean, there is no doubt that WoW is going to continue to be profitable for a long time to come, but Blizzard has given it very little air time during shareholder calls and has been pretty clearly trying to develop other IPs to compensate for the gradual loss in revenue.

WoW is doing the best it has in a long time. As a matter of fact, in their last shareholder call, they credited WoW as being one of their two highest revenue drivers, the other being seasonal events in Overwatch.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

But when was the last time WoW wasnt one of Blizzard's top two earners? No one is saying it isnt still a huge money maker currently, the point is that WoW's has pretty clearly begun a slow but steady decline. Blizzard has used the addition of cash shop items, a PLEX like market for game time, and other fixes to keep revenue up despite this decline in subscribers but that cant last forever. I can easily see WoW still being up and running 20 years(and still being quite profitable, too ) from now but its days as a massive cash cow are limited.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Everyone knows it's been in decline since cata, the question was how wow's doing now with its new expansion.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Probably the canary in to coal mine is 3 of the top 8 guilds in the world quitting raiding within a few days of each other. The grind has gotten pretty crazy now, especially when you look at the legendary system and the paragon traits for your artifact weapon. Also changing you needing to upgrade one weapon per tier to needing to get 3 specific weapon relics for each spec.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Dandywalken posted:

Fallen Earth was loving great. Disagree? Heh come say it to my face!

*pelts you with ball bearings from a paintball gun then rides off on a self made motorcycle at 12 mph*

It also had 'Protect ya neck!' as an ambient NPC line when exiting conversations. I appreciated the WuTang reference.

I have to defend fallen earth a bit too. I didn't play it for very long but I did truly feel the large scope of the world. Did they ever balance the cost of ranged classes (ammo) against melee classes just smashing everything for free?

Truga posted:

LOTRO even had lifetime subs and still runs.

I almost bought the hundred dollar Hellgate London lifetime pass. Was Hellgate London an MMO?

darkhand posted:

Warhammer online had the disciple and he was like a battle priest that could Dual Wield!!! for some reason??? He'd heal you when he did damage to enemies

EQ2 didn't have fast travel at all at release either. Also no instancing, there was even still open world bosses.

Some funny/cool stuff you could do though:
You could defect your faction and live in exile. Your homecity would be set to literally a sewer/cave thing with just a mailbox and a banker.
Or do a supppper grindy quest to rejoin, OR even join the opposite faction

Some mobs were placed together into "encounters" that couldn't be split, they were basically the same mob. But you had specific encounter spells that did "aoe" damage to them. Pretty neat system.

Also the partycombo system was pretty neat, but I don't remember if anyone ever gave a poo poo about it.

They even recreated the SAME problems EQ had at the high levels: attributes became literally useless and only armor/hp/power(mana) was important. You still had huge spell stacking issues where the order your party buffs in could affect the final outcome, and you run around with like 30 buff icons at all times. And useless junk out of era currencies took up parts of the UI.

I played everquest 2 as almost some demonstration against WoW at the time. I don't believe everquest 2 was available as a full digital download at the time. So I bought it online and got them to send me the keys needed to activate my account. I then pirated the everquest 2 software from WinMX (Napster clone) and spent a whole day moving files around and working with some repair tool before the game finally accepted my installation and I could play it.

I remember that coins had weight and I somehow managed to get myself so overburdened by copper coins that my character could barely move.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Byolante posted:

Probably the canary in to coal mine is 3 of the top 8 guilds in the world quitting raiding within a few days of each other. The grind has gotten pretty crazy now, especially when you look at the legendary system and the paragon traits for your artifact weapon. Also changing you needing to upgrade one weapon per tier to needing to get 3 specific weapon relics for each spec.

I wouldn't say anything top end guilds are doing is indicative of overall health, since they're very intentionally burning themselves out and poopsocking as hard as possible. Top guilds disbanded in Warlords, too, which infamously had nothing to loving do.

I also can't defend the legendary system (it's bad), but overall it's pretty minor in the context of the overall presentation for Legion (it's good).

• Locked thread