Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The faction war is the most meaningless nonsense and I picked vikings entirely because they get the nice round crests.

Did any of you ever take the time after a round to carefully deploy your assets in specific locations? I sure didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

GMG still has it for $48 (Uplay key not Steam but the Steam version just installs Uplay and runs it through that anyway so).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haroshia posted:

As a member of the glorious tin can master race I hip thrust in your general direction.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Internet Kraken posted:

The faction war is the most meaningless nonsense and I picked vikings entirely because they get the nice round crests.

Did any of you ever take the time after a round to carefully deploy your assets in specific locations? I sure didn't.

I did, but only because this game made me feel like I was finally proving European knight superiority over dumb thin sword wielding weeaboos in wooden armor and naked drunks with axes.

Deus Vult

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Only got to play the beta for this game for a couple hours this weekend, but Orochi is definitely my favorite character. Sure, they don't have any fancy combos or unblockables, but you can gently caress people up with proper deflecting/countering.

Hoping the game does well, cause I'll probably wait until it's on sale to buy it. Loved the game, but none of my friends are getting it, and at $60 I don't want to get burned again like with Titanfall 2 (or 1, for that matter).

panda clue
May 23, 2014
lol, I think most of the dumb subreddit 'Deus Vult' memes are dumb as hell, but someone ran a word-cloud image analysis on the official beta results thread:

:perfect:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

What's the cheapest you US folks have seen a PC key for? My go to only has keys for Europe and $60 for this is a bit steep.

Also I'm not sure what happened to the raider, but I've been playing since the first alpha and never had much luck with them. This time though holy poo poo I was wiping out entire teams :stare:
It's $48 here.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Mercedes posted:

I'm having For Honor withdrawals. Anyone else having For Honor withdrawals? Is there a meeting with coffee and cookies I can go to?

I actually am, spending this time youtubing videos about samurai and vikings. Turns out these guys existed outside of videogames!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Haroshia posted:

I did, but only because this game made me feel like I was finally proving European knight superiority over dumb thin sword wielding weeaboos in wooden armor and naked drunks with axes.

Deus Vult

:hist101: Knight Lyfe

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

I actually am, spending this time youtubing videos about samurai and vikings. Turns out these guys existed outside of videogames!!

You should look up the Knights. Most people have plenty of misconceptions about Samurai that will just serve them well in a game environment and know next to nothing about Viking warriors whereas anyone from a Western culture is going to be ignorant about the realities of Knights but they're going to happy to pretend like they know everything with none of the side benefits that ignorance of Samurai will bring in the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue posted:

lol, I think most of the dumb subreddit 'Deus Vult' memes are dumb as hell, but someone ran a word-cloud image analysis on the official beta results thread:

:perfect:

I'm the teeny tiny "Superbowl".

e: :shibe:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 13, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

nessin posted:

You should look up the Knights. Most people have plenty of misconceptions about Samurai that will just serve them well in a game environment and know next to nothing about Viking warriors whereas anyone from a Western culture is going to be ignorant about the realities of Knights but they're going to happy to pretend like they know everything with none of the side benefits that ignorance of Samurai will bring in the game.

:raise:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

nessin posted:

The amount of people I saw on Twitch thinking it was bullshit that the Warden carried their longsword by the blade confirms this.

Mr_M
Dec 10, 2008
I'll see your knight lyfe and raise you a techno viking.

...the wait for this is quickly eroding my sanity.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nice, thanks :)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

So I played for about 12 hours total and I never once deployed resources or did anything at all for the weird faction bullshit. I really couldn't have cared less.

Also I picked vikings.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I don't know if this has been linked,

Defensive Play Beats Everything
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121546322

panda clue
May 23, 2014

1500 posted:

I don't know if this has been linked,

Defensive Play Beats Everything
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121546322

idk if its just me but the video seems unwatchably stuttery, and looks like it's just an orochi complaining about getting blocked by a warden with a clickbait title

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

panda clue posted:

idk if its just me but the video seems unwatchably stuttery, and looks like it's just an orochi complaining about getting blocked by a warden with a clickbait title

Orochi complaining makes me laugh. Also it isn't just you it's unwatchable.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

panda clue posted:

idk if its just me but the video seems unwatchably stuttery, and looks like its just an orochi complaining about getting blocked by a warden with a clickbait title

The video works perfectly fine for me, and it's 8 minutes long in which the orochi has literally no way to damage the warden because the warden blocks every feint, including double and triple feints and guard breaks. The orochi is constantly running out of stamina. Basically the point is the warden has literally no reason to attempt to go on the offensive.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Garrand posted:

The video works perfectly fine for me, and it's 8 minutes long in which the orochi has literally no way to damage the warden because the warden blocks every feint, including double and triple feints and guard breaks. The orochi is constantly running out of stamina. Basically the point is the warden has literally no reason to attempt to go on the offensive.

so he got trolled in a fighting game by someone better than him and made an inflammatory video complaining about it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Garrand posted:

Yeah but that's if you want a draw everytime, obviously you can't actually win without attacking

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
That dude is dumb as heck. You don't need to attack all the time, let him open up to get shots on you. Use heavy attacks to chip away HP if he's countering guard break all the time. Feint if he tries to parry the heavy attack.

He's just not a good player.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
If the dude is able to block triple feints consistently then he definitely good enough to also parry wreck you at any given moment. you gettin trolled

Psycho Society posted:

He's just not a good player.

Nov 3, 2015

The video plays fine for me. The issue he brings up is also a topic on the main forums.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...4dc7c6fcf25637c

quote:

After playing the beta, both theory and practice support the thesis that the following mechanic will possibly (and at ultra-high-level very probably) lead to potentially breaking the 1v1 Duel bracket. ALL other brackets do not have this issue.

Defensive Invulnerability. Should a player chose to only Parry, Dodge and Block, he will become invulnerable to any damage, if playing perfectly. Since every possible scenario in which a player can receive damage is telegraphed (and well within margins of human reaction time), it is possible for a player to never receive damage, should he chose to never attack.

How:

1) Basic attacks are telegraphed and can be blocked or parried.

2) Guardbreaks are telegraphed and can be counter-guardbroken.

two points many people are missing:
3) Feints are telegraphed and can be told apart from regular heavy attacks. With enough practice a player can tell when another player performs an actual heavy attack or a feint. This is due to the fact that the red reticule starts to blink when an attack is parriable - it does not do this when a player is feinting. And yes, it is very possible to get this right every time - many players already get this right the majority of time and the game is barely a weekend old. Imagine pro-players after weeks or months of practice.

4) Falling for a feint is cancellable in time to block an attack. EVEN if a player falls for a feint, the startup of the heavy attack that was supposed to be a parry is cancellable in time to perform a block or parry on the followup attack of the enemy.
Scenario: Player A feints a heavy attack. Player B falls for the feint and presses heavy attack himself, wanting to parry. Player A cancels his heavy attack and follows up with light attack. Player B sees the very noticeable cancel-animation and reacts in time to block the light attack. Even is the light attack comes from a different direction.

3) and 4) are too easy to perform on a regular basis. The mechanic that was supposed to make "not attacking" not viable (feinting) is too weak. At the absolute least, it should be impossible to perform 4 - this might allow enough room for mistakes to accumulate and damage to be dealt.

However - if somebody doesnt even attempt to parry and only tries to block, aiming to achieve a tie, he will have a VERY easy time doing this. Should a player get a 1 point lead in a match, he can chose to only block and evade any unblockables and the remaining matches will end in a tie.

A simple way to resolve this issue is to make blocking cost more and more stamina after each performed block without performing an attack in return. The value at which this debuff accumulates should of course be different depending on the character and entirely disabled in modes where a 1vX scenario is possible.

Edit: And feinting punishes you with a heavy stamina cost. That needs to go.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

panda clue posted:

so he got trolled in a fighting game by someone better than him and made an inflammatory video complaining about it?

Dudes offense was completely uninspired outside of the odd feint into grab attempt. I watched the whole thing and then he actually starts getting the orochi's zone attack working as every class has one attack that is effectively unseeable(with high stam cost) ahead of time unless you hard read it, then dude just leaves his guard resting on the side the zone attack hits and it gets blocked and hes like "oh doesn't work either".

babby complain is moral of story.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

panda clue posted:

If the dude is able to block triple feints consistently then he definitely good enough to also parry wreck you at any given moment. you gettin trolled

Yeah when the guy in video does the heavy-feint it does bring out an attack some of the time but he just fails to block it. He got outclassed and is just complaining about it tbh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The conqueror finally clicked with me right at the end of the beta. Before I had just been blocking and light attack spamming with the occasional heavy

I understand what "chaining combos" means now. I understand the glory of shield bash. I understand the beauty of leaving guardmode and sprinting at your enemy just so you can tackle him to the ground and slap the mace into his stunned face. Conqueror owns, and owns super hard in 4v4 where his crowd control and defense really shines... and where you can equip passive abilities that let you deal damage with your shield bashing and blocking :getin:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Also with other classes you have unblockable mixups. We are off to the races again when that starts up.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The conqueror finally clicked with me right at the end of the beta. Before I had just been blocking and light attack spamming with the occasional heavy

I understand what "chaining combos" means now. I understand the glory of shield bash. I understand the beauty of leaving guardmode and sprinting at your enemy just so you can tackle your opponent to the ground and slap the mace into his stunned face. Conqueror owns, and owns super hard in 4v4 where his crowd control and defense really shines... and where you can equip passive abilities that let you deal damage with your shield bashing and blocking :getin:

Welcome to the tin can master race. I'm probably going Lawbringer at launch TBH. Not because I know anything about it mind you. I just love poleaxes.

I'm probably going to buy this piece of poo poo despite my thoughts that the community will poo poo the bed shortly after launch because I also bought Titanfall 2 and I can afford it

panda clue
May 23, 2014

1500 posted:

The video plays fine for me.

Yeah its some sort of twitch-wide issue; all of the videos I'm trying to pull up have terrible stuttering right now.

Nov 3, 2015

Haroshia posted:

Welcome to the tin can master race. I'm probably going Lawbringer at launch TBH. Not because I know anything about it mind you. I just love poleaxes.

I'm probably going to buy this piece of poo poo despite my thoughts that the community will poo poo the bed shortly after launch because I also bought Titanfall 2 and I can afford it

I still love Titanfall 2, enough people play it during my game time that I keep at it but I really wish it would have a better fate then it current does.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

1500 posted:

I still love Titanfall 2, enough people play it during my game time that I keep at it but I really wish it would have a better fate then it current does.

I make mistakes and buy good games at full price despite knowing their sales will drop off because they lack casual appeal. Then I feel sad when they drop to 20 bucks before I forget that it's really not that much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This is the most fun I've had with an MP game in years so yah, it's a buy

It has my recommendation... but if you're a guy who hates bugs and stuff, maybe wait a month or two to buy? But I also recommend getting in on the groundfloor because the skillceiling is gonna rise very rapidly in this game

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

Dudes offense was completely uninspired outside of the odd feint into grab attempt. I watched the whole thing and then he actually starts getting the orochi's zone attack working as every class has one attack that is effectively unseeable(with high stam cost) ahead of time unless you hard read it, then dude just leaves his guard resting on the side the zone attack hits and it gets blocked and hes like "oh doesn't work either".

babby complain is moral of story.

I had someone show me the heavy stam 'mixup' attack that you can do as Peacekeeper (that I've never actually seen another Peacekeeper use), and holy gently caress, it takes pure luck to be able to block that. He simply said 'try to block me', and would do a small combo with that thrown in and it would get me almost every time. It shows you doing an upper attack for about half a second, and then immediately switches to a side attack in the second half. There is no way someone could turtle that poo poo forever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Haroshia posted:

I make mistakes and buy good games at full price despite knowing their sales will drop off because they lack casual appeal. Then I feel sad when they drop to 20 bucks before I forget that it's really not that much.

The thing is though, Titanfall was a shooter that was competing with overwatch, COD and battlefield... That's some crazy competition and Titanfall was the least competitive of those releases.

For Honor doesn't really have a lot of competition. If you're into knights, vikings and samurai, melee and like hard competition - this is the game you get

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Haroshia posted:

Deus Vult

I Repped Vikings for ULTIMATE METAL, also the round, easy to make something pretty crest and all my friends did. But Warden was the class that was starting to click with me first. I loved playing Plate Armor Girl and breaking Weeb faces. Wish their lovely little katanas would break against my armor or broadsword though like the real things would.

Haroshia posted:

The amount of people I saw on Twitch thinking it was bullshit that the Warden carried their longsword by the blade confirms this.

I thought that was the coolest detail when I saw it. Dunno how historical it was, but it makes sense that if you're in combat, and wearing a mail gauntlet, you're just gonna carry the sucker by however's convenient and doesn't hurt your wrist instead of constantly re-sheathing the massive weapon. Also loved that at least in their executions Wardens used the pommel and crossguard of their sword. loving loved watching my Plate Chick rip some unlucky bastard's shoulder blade out with the crossguard of her weapon.

Nov 3, 2015

Haroshia posted:

I knew it was going to drop and got it anyway so that I could enjoy the high population while it lasted.

1500 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 13, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If the leading faction always gets the items and bonuses and stuff what's stopping everyone from dogpiling the winning faction when they join, and just snowballing it to total dominance? Like I was vikings in the beta but i'll probably just go knights if they're going to win every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Psycho Society posted:

If the leading faction always gets the items and bonuses and stuff what's stopping everyone from dogpiling the winning faction when they join, and just snowballing it to total dominance? Like I was vikings in the beta but i'll probably just go knights if they're going to win every time.

With this post you have likely thought more about the system than Ubisoft did.