Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Filmstruck thread got locked so is it okay if we post about that in here?

Because as amazing a service that it is, about half the time I try to log into it on my computer it has trouble logging in. Leaving me staring at the processing sign instead of good movies. I emailed them about this, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anybody else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It was buggy at first, but the login works perfectly on my Apple TV and desktop.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

May Criterions:

Ghost World
Othello (Welles)
Dheepan
Good Morning (Blu + DVD upgrade)
Jeanne Dielman (Blu upgrade + DVD reissue)

World Cinema Project Vol. 2 (Dual Format):
Taipei Story
Mysterious Object at Noon
Revenge
Insiang
Limite
Law of the Border

Highlights:

Ghost World, Good Morning, and Othello are all new 4K restorations/remasters.
Othello includes both the 1952 European cut and 1955 US cut.
Good Morning has I Was Born, But... and A Straightforward Boy (fragment) as bonus films.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

thats a ridiculously good month

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - May 9
(Blu-Ray upgrade + DVD second printing)

Same as DVD edition, other than new 2K restoration.

Good Morning - May 16
(Blu-Ray and DVD upgrade)

New 4K digital restoration from Shochiku Co., with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
I Was Born, But . . ., Yasujiro Ozu’s 1932 silent comedy masterpiece, with a score composed by Donald Sosin in 2008
Surviving excerpt from A Straightforward Boy, a 1929 silent film by Ozu
New video essay on Ozu’s use of humor by critic David Cairns
New interview with film scholar David Bordwell
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

Othello - May 16

New, restored 4K digital transfers of two versions of the film, the 1952 European version and the 1955 U.S. version, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich and Orson Welles scholar Myron Meisel
Return to Glennascaul, a 1953 short film made by MacLiammóir and actor Hilton Edwards during a hiatus from shooting Othello
New interview with Welles biographer Simon Callow
New interview with Welles scholar François Thomas on the differences between the two versions
New interview with Ayanna Thompson, author of Passing Strange: Shakespeare, Race, and Contemporary America
Interview from 2014 with Welles scholar Joseph McBride
More!
PLUS: An essay by film critic Geoffrey O’Brien

Dheepan - May 23

High-definition digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2015 featuring director Jacques Audiard and coscreenwriter Noé Debré
New interview with Audiard
New interview with actor Antonythasan Jesuthasan
Deleted scenes with audio commentary by Audiard and Debré
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Atkinson

Ghost World - May 30

New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by writer-director Terry Zwigoff, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring Zwigoff, comic-book creator and screenwriter Daniel Clowes, and producer Lianne Halfon
New interviews with and actors Thora Birch and Illeana Douglas
Extended excerpt from Gumnaam (1965) featuring the Bollywood musical number that appears in Ghost World’s opening title sequence
Deleted scenes
Trailer
More!
PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton

Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project No. 2 - May 30
(Dual Format DVD/Blu-Ray)
Includes: Limite, Revenge, Insiang, Mysterious Object At Noon, Law of the Border, and Taipei Story

2K, 3K, or 4K digital restorations of all six films, presented courtesy of the World Cinema Project in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
Remastered digital soundtrack of Limite created almost entirely from archival recordings of the same musical performances director Mário Peixote and his musical arranger Brutus Pedreira originally selected to accompany the film, presented in uncompressed monaural sound on the Blu-ray
New introductions to the films by World Cinema Project founder Martin Scorsese
New interview programs featuring film historian Pierre Rissient (on Insiang), director Apichatpong Weerasethakul (on Mysterious Object at Noon), director Ermek Shinarbaev (on Revenge), filmmaker Walter Salles (on Limite), producer Mevlüt Akkaya (on Law of the Border), and actor and cowriter Hou Hsiao-hsien with filmmaker Edmond Wong (on Taipei Story)
Updated English subtitle translations
Three Blu-rays and six DVDs, with all content available in both formats
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Phillip Lopate, Dennis Lim, Kent Jones, Fábio Andrade, Bilge Ebiri, and Andrew Chan

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Parallax posted:

thats a ridiculously good month

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's the Amazon listing for the world cinema box. They've put the box sets up at stupid cheap prices the last few releases, looks like they might have stopped that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The lack of a Filming Othello restoration is super disappointing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never heard of 3K before. But Taipei Story HELL YES I just watched Brighter Summer Day today and it was a masterpiece

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Jeanne Dielman sounds exactly like my stuff, can't believe I haven't run into it before

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

The lack of a Filming Othello restoration is super disappointing.

The listing says "more" so it's possible they didn't clear the rights yet. It's a 2-disc Blu-Ray, so they'll include it if they can. It seems to have some rights issues.

Escobarbarian posted:

I've never heard of 3K before. But Taipei Story HELL YES I just watched Brighter Summer Day today and it was a masterpiece

It's Mysterious Object At Noon since the only surviving element is a 35mm dupe negative. Kind of infuriating that a movie made in 2000 lost its negative.

The rest all seem to be 2K or 4K. Seems to be 2K when only lesser elements survive, while anything from camera negatives is 4K.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

The listing says "more" so it's possible they didn't clear the rights yet. It's a 2-disc Blu-Ray, so they'll include it if they can. It seems to have some rights issues.
Well there's hope then.

It just is so sad to me that the final film Welles finished as a director remains in such poo poo condition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been waiting for that Good Morning upgrade since I started buying Criterions. Came really close to just buying the DVD multiple times. Glad I waited.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Vesi posted:

Jeanne Dielman sounds exactly like my stuff, can't believe I haven't run into it before

I bought and watched it for the first time after it came out on DVD. Easily one of the most memorable films Criterion has introduced me to but I'm not exactly itching to go see it again. Isn't it something like 3 hours in length?

Will likely pick up Ghost World too because I haven't seen it in ages and I love Zwigoff.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Ghost World and Jeanne Dielman have both been among my most-wanted films for years, so I'm pretty hype. And Othello is excellent.

My only regret is that Taipei Story won't be stand-alone. Mysterious Object at Noon is a pretty cool film, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's about $11 per film if you were to get either WCP set during a flash or B&N sale.

Also, it's worth noting that A Brighter Summer Day and Black Girl were also part of WCP, so they're probably choosing based on what they can pull off for supplements. I'd expect The Color of Pomegranates to be another standalone release.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

It's Mysterious Object At Noon since the only surviving element is a 35mm dupe negative. Kind of infuriating that a movie made in 2000 lost its negative.

The rest all seem to be 2K or 4K. Seems to be 2K when only lesser elements survive, while anything from camera negatives is 4K.

That's really interesting, thanks.

Also forgot to mention before but hell YES @ Ghost World

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

My only regret is that Taipei Story won't be stand-alone. Mysterious Object at Noon is a pretty cool film, though.

limite and insiang are both masterpieces as well

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, here's a short list of definite future releases per CriterionForum.org (with actual evidence):

The Marseille Trilogy
The Lure
Sixteen Candles
Stalker
They Live By Night
West Side Story
Polyester
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
David Lynch: The Art Life
Dragon Inn
California Split
Dersu Uzala
Election (Alexander Payne)
A Fuller Life
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
High Hopes
The Tree of Life
The World's Greatest Sinner
It's All True
Arsenic and Old Lace

They also will obviously release the rest of the unreleased films by Ray, Chaplin, Lloyd, Wenders, etc. over time.

Definite upgrades (known to be in the works):

Rosellini's War Trilogy
Mishima
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Pandora's Box
Le Samourai
The Silence
The Tales of Hoffmann

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I'd be surprised if they were working on this without also working on Through A Glass Darkly and Winter Light.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I don't know if I'd want to own Dersu Uzala, but drat, I look forward to seeing it in a copy that doesn't look like it has layer of Vaseline spread across the film transfer.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

They also will obviously release the rest of the unreleased films by Ray, Chaplin, Lloyd, Wenders, etc. over time

ray as in nicholas? i have a hard time believing they'll put out run for cover, knock on any door, born to be bad, wind across the everglades, savage innocents, etc

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Radio Spiricom posted:

ray as in nicholas? i have a hard time believing they'll put out run for cover, knock on any door, born to be bad, wind across the everglades, savage innocents, etc

Probably Satyajit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Satyajit Ray's filmography is mostly untapped by Criterion to this point, he's a perfect director for them to dive into a little more fully. Aside from the Apu Trilogy(a must own as far as I'm concerned), what have they put out so far? Music Room is the only one I can think of.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Satyajit Ray's filmography is mostly untapped by Criterion to this point, he's a perfect director for them to dive into a little more fully. Aside from the Apu Trilogy(a must own as far as I'm concerned), what have they put out so far? Music Room is the only one I can think of.

The Big City and Charulata.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

charulata which is maybe his best movie, the big city, an eclipse set, probably more i cant remember

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I saw the restored Tales of Hoffman and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

I'd be surprised if they were working on this without also working on Through A Glass Darkly and Winter Light.

Agreed, especially since it's the least acclaimed (rightfully imo) film in the trilogy, I believe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, here's a short list of definite future releases per CriterionForum.org (with actual evidence):

Election (Alexander Payne)

Ooo I'm stoked for this one.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm stoked as hell for that Jeanne Dielman Blu. I like Ghost World but probably not enough to warrant the upgrade from my plain old DVD I got forever ago.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ooo I'm stoked for this one.

Yeah that'll be an easy purchase.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm hype for a Criterion release of Polyester.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm hype for a Criterion release of Polyester.

I hope it comes with smellovision cards.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm stoked as hell for that Jeanne Dielman Blu. I like Ghost World but probably not enough to warrant the upgrade from my plain old DVD I got forever ago.

same but the German blu with all the comic sans on it

Magic Hate Ball posted:

same

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Definite upgrades (known to be in the works):

Le Samourai

yesssssss

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't imagine it wouldn't.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Egbert Souse posted:

California Split

YES! This needs a better release/transfer

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

Dheepan - May 23

High-definition digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2015 featuring director Jacques Audiard and coscreenwriter Noé Debré
New interview with Audiard
New interview with actor Antonythasan Jesuthasan
Deleted scenes with audio commentary by Audiard and Debré
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Atkinson

This movie is extremely good and should be watched by everyone.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still haven't seen that one but Jacques Audiard is definitely one of my favorite working directors. The Beat That My Heart Skipped, A Prophet, and Rust & Bone are all fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also, I can confirm that Jeanne Dielman is terrific and well worth your time.